• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

I hope Spidey is going to pay for that window.

Kinda a dick move smashing through it.

This gif is what made this game my most anticipated coming out of E3.

Can't wait for Last Guardian, God of War, Horizon, Infinite Warfare (burned out CoD years ago but this one looks fantastic), and Zelda (going to buy an NX for it)... but Insomniac's Spider-Man is hands down the one I'm looking forward to most. Maybe because it came out of nowhere, but I'm crazy excited for what this game will be.

Lemondish

To be honest, I didn't know it was realtime when I first watched it because of the camera angles which resembled a movie. In the past, Sony has a long history of using CG and passing it off as realtime footage. Killzone, Eight Days Later, Motorstorm, I'm looking at you. When Batman was first revealed, it looked better than the final product. The Uncharted 4 E32014 footage was prerendered but Sony pretended it was realtime.

Insomoniac has confirmed that this is the game. Still, it could be designed as a tech demo with no AI or any game related logic running. It could be a target. Since the game is not playable, these could be automatic sequences with little player input.

None of this was actual gameplay. Realtime cutscenes, yes! Gameplay, no. Given the angles shown, the game would be impossible to play unless the game consists of nothing but quicktime events.

I want to see some actual gameplay not just scripted realtime cutscenes. Besides, if it's gameplay, it would be quite annoying if every jump you make the camera zoomed in on Spiderman. If the visual fidelity extends to the game, this might be the best superhero game ever. I am super excited for this.

It's a good thing we're still holding them accountable for things that happened nearly a decade ago and have not been replicated since.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
When are people gonna realize devs have the tools to fuck around with the in game camera in order to cut trailers.

Seriously.

The footage looks like gameplay in the vast majority of shots in that trailer, with a few segments (mainly the beginning, where Spidey lands on the building, then launches off), that could be from cutscenes. The other scenes look like Gameplay segments where the camera was manipulated into a better angle.

If that's too hard for doubters to picture, think of Photo Mode in a lot of PS4 titles, where you can pause the game, manipulate the camera, and do other stuff, then take your picture. But now, instead of taking a picture, you capture a video segment (maybe a few seconds or something). Boom, there you go, a shot for your trailer that looks dynamic and cinematic once you edit it into your video, but it was still taken from gameplay.

Besides, if anyone has played any of Insomniac games of the past, you'd know that most of their cutscenes feature even more high fidelity character models and post processing effects than what we see in that trailer. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time on PS3 used in engine cutscenes that were able to be recorded with a lot of bells and whistles. The Uncharted series is known for having high fidelity character models and effects in cutscenes that aren't present in gameplay.

This game looks amazing, but nothing that isn't possible on the current PS4. You'd think after games like The Order, Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, and especially inFAMOUS: Second Son (since they can be directly compared being in a similar genre), people would stop doubting what's possible, especially when it's a talented developer with full first party support. Their Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet and Clank PS4 engines were already amazing. This is just further refining and polishing of that engine.

It's going to be great when they finally do a demo walkthrough. Maybe people will stop being so damned cynical and skeptical then. Doubt it.

viHuGi

Banned
To be honest, I didn't know it was realtime when I first watched it because of the camera angles which resembled a movie. In the past, Sony has a long history of using CG and passing it off as realtime footage. Killzone, Eight Days Later, Motorstorm, I'm looking at you. When Batman was first revealed, it looked better than the final product. The Uncharted 4 E32014 footage was prerendered but Sony pretended it was realtime.

Insomoniac has confirmed that this is the game. Still, it could be designed as a tech demo with no AI or any game related logic running. It could be a target. Since the game is not playable, these could be automatic sequences with little player input.

None of this was actual gameplay. Realtime cutscenes, yes! Gameplay, no. Given the angles shown, the game would be impossible to play unless the game consists of nothing but quicktime events.

I want to see some actual gameplay not just scripted realtime cutscenes. Besides, if it's gameplay, it would be quite annoying if every jump you make the camera zoomed in on Spiderman. If the visual fidelity extends to the game, this might be the best superhero game ever. I am super excited for this.

Was this even confirmed? Final product looks pretty close to it just not 60fps.

All the other ps3 games yeah lol pretty much.

Batman? Batman Arkham Knight looks amazing.

This game looks amazing but Horizon Zero Dawn is just the king when it comes to Open World.

Apoc29

"Use the door, Spider-Man!"

"No time! I have to do a bunch of sick flips and spill people's coffee and destroy this window!"

bunkitz

You wont be seeing the X-Men or Spidey's buddy the Human Torch in any video games anytime soon.

It's not entirely impossible to see Johnny alone. In the comics, the Fantastic Four is no more, but Johnny and Ben are still around, each on their own. Well, I mean, Johnny's with the Inhumans, and Ben with the Guardians, but yeah.

I'd love to have a cameo or even just a mention of "Johnny," not even the Human Torch. I'd be more than happy with that.
Spidey's broke, its canon

Hasn't been for a long time now, man. Tony actually has less money than him at the moment, I believe.

---

Okay, something I really want for the game is for Mary Jane to be Peter's love interest. As in, they're a couple. They're together. Please. Peter and MJ have been apart for too damn long in the comics.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have zero hype until they show more than two seconds of swinging. Too many Spider-Man games have come and gone over the years that got it wrong.

So, we'll see. I imagine they'll get it right, but I have to see it.

Neoxon

It's not entirely impossible to see Johnny alone. In the comics, the Fantastic Four is no more, but Johnny and Ben are still around, each on their own. Well, I mean, Johnny's with the Inhumans, and Ben with the Guardians, but yeah.

I'd love to have a cameo or even just a mention of "Johnny," not even the Human Torch. I'd be more than happy with that.
They can't use Johnny Storm, either....or reference him by name. For reference, the OG Human Torch was in Lego Avengers, & in that game one of his lines of dialogue alludes to Johnny Storm without referring to him by name (something like "I'm the first Human Torch, before....you know.").

Hasn't been for a long time now, man. Tony actually has less money than him at the moment, I believe.

---

Okay, something I really want for the game is for Mary Jane to be Peter's love interest. As in, they're a couple. They're together. Please. Peter and MJ have been apart for too damn long in the comics.
Well this is a more mature Peter Parker so hopefully that means his romantic life will be explored too. With MJ preferably.

Kssio_Aug

The 1st time I watched this trailer I did it on my smartphone. Didn't like it too much.
I watched it again now in my TV, and indeed it's looking pretty good. I'm interested.

prwxv3

How do you not know that devs have tools to capture gameplay at different angles. Like every dev can do this and have been doing this for decades.

bunkitz

They can't use Johnny Storm, either....or reference him by name. For reference, the OG Human Torch was in Lego Avengers, & in that game one of his lines of dialogue alludes to Johnny Storm without referring to him by name (something like "I'm the first Human Torch, before....you know.").

Tsk. Oh well. Didn't hurt to dream.
Well this is a more mature Peter Parker so hopefully that means his romantic life will be explored too. With MJ preferably.

It would be cool to see his other supporting cast members and even love interests, but right now, I just want to see Peter and MJ together again. That, and I don't care much for the other love interests.

---

It's still weird that it's Yuri Lowenthal voicing Spidey. I'd have preferred Christopher Daniel Barnes or Josh Keaton. Kind of like how Rocksteady went with Kevin Conroy (yass) for Batman.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Insomniac has done enough for me to go into this thing raw on day 1. If they announced "DickFart: The Reckoning" for 2018, without any footage, I'd be in day 1. They make gooooood shit and I'm so glad they're getting a shot at Spiderman. This could be massive.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have zero hype until they show more than two seconds of swinging. Too many Spider-Man games have come and gone over the years that got it wrong.

So, we'll see. I imagine they'll get it right, but I have to see it.

I understand your trepidation, but a whopping 0% of previous Spider-Man games were made by Insomniac, or even a developer that was given a fraction of the time and budget that Insomniac has clearly been given.

Their track record of quality titles speaks for themselves, in my opinion. I'm definitely eager to see more of the swing engine myself, but I'm more than just a little comfortable with saying that I believe Insomniac is going to deliver. Their passion for the character is palpable in every frame of this trailer, as well as the interviews they've given. Their talent as a developer that crafts fun games is unquestionable. These guys and gals are legit. Not to mention that they don't have to split resources to develop across multiple platforms, so all of their focus will be on a single piece of architecture, all resources and QA being allocated to one console and set of standards. It's going to be an insanely polished Spider-Man title. That's what has me excited. For the first time in decades, we are getting a Spider-Man game being treated with a first party, blockbuster budget treatment. This has never happened before, thanks to Activision's abysmal handling of the character over 20 years of mediocre titles.

EDIT: On a different tangent, the Ratchet and Clank games on PS2, PS3, and PS4 are enough for me to be absolutely ecstatic about this Spider-Man game. Add in the Resistance trilogy, the Spyro games, Outernauts, and Sunset Overdrive, and I'm amazed people are so skeptical. I'm sincerely hoping that this will be the title that has people talking about Insomniac with the kind of breathless praise they lavish on Naughty Dog, or Platinum, or From Software. Insomniac deserve to be considered a top tier studio.

Neoxon

It's still weird that it's Yuri Lowenthal voicing Spidey. I'd have preferred Christopher Daniel Barnes or Josh Keaton. Kind of like how Rocksteady went with Kevin Conroy (yass) for Batman.
I still think that Insomniac should have gone with Josh Keaton. But like I said earlier, Yuri Lowenthal is close enough.

UCBooties

If this trailer is representative of the actual gameplay they are promising a really impressive traversal system. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom