• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaft0620

If they come out at PSX and are like, "this game is over 20 hours long and there are 10 villains" I will jerk off right then and there.

I think it would be really cool if they implemented the villains into not just Spiderman's problems, but Peter Parker's as well. How cool would it be if you were walking around as Peter Parker with MJ, and suddenly Goblin grabs you off the ground. My favorite part of any good Spidey story is the interplay between Peter Parker's own life and selfish mean and the greater thing he stands for.
That would be pretty cool.

dan2026

ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

I hope Spidey is going to pay for that window.

Kinda a dick move smashing through it.

Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet and Clank and now Spiderman

Insomniac is delivering this gen and i hope with the spiderman this will be their breaktrough to the Top

Spinluck

Because before Arkham, no one know a superhero game can be millions dollar block buster.
Thanks Rocksteady and WB bring us the post Arkham super hero gaming world.

I think they knew, but only a few ever took the chance.

I enjoyed the X-Men Legend games, and Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

But I agree with you for the most part, most devs are just abusing licenses when movies came out and stuff.

ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

Kinda a dick move smashing through it.

The tables fall as Spider-Man steps on them as he goes to the window, people reacting differently and the window becomes pieces of glass. Great attention to detail.

edit: Also, right before Spidey smashes the window, you can see his web on the left side of the window. The web falls as Spidey lets it go.

I know fox has the film rights, but what about the game rights?

Marvel does not want those characters to appear in any video games at all as all it would do is create more interest in people going to watch those characters' films. At at least this is what I gathered from a post here in GAF. All new Marvel Super Heroes/Avengers games feature 0 X-Men/FF characters.

TP-DK

I think Punisher would be a good fit as a villain (or just enemy, if you prefer) for this game.

I hope it will be like the Batman games, and PS1 spiderman games for that matter, where you'll get to meet and fight a lot of the enemies with one or two being the main villain.

I hope it will be like the Batman games, and PS1 spiderman games for that matter, where you'll get to meet and fight a lot of the enemies with one or two being the main villain.

I worry about the revolving door effect, though. It made sense in Arkham, but take, for example, the PS2 Punisher game where Daredevil shows up for one scene and then fucks off for the rest of the game because they wanted to include him but also needed to give screen time to other characters.

Or Nightwing in Arkham City. I played through that game twice and still don't remember why he was there.

Because before Arkham, no one know a superhero game can be millions dollar block buster.
Thanks Rocksteady and WB bring us the post Arkham super hero gaming world.

Actually, it's Eidos (pre Square Enix) and Rocksteady we should be thanking. Warner only came in and bought a majority stake in Rocksteady after Arkham Asylum launched to massive praise and success.

Actually, it's Eidos (pre Square Enix) and Rocksteady we should be thanking. Warner only came in and bought a majority stake in Rocksteady after Arkham Asylum launched to massive praise and success.

I remember a story of Yoichi Wada touring Rocksteady's offices to welcome them to the fold and talking about what kind of future game they could create. A week later, they were bought by Warner.

Pizza

Just watched the trailer again, if im not mistaken 100% of the random guys spidey was punching were Negative's Inner Demons! ALSO the end of the trailer has a couple Japanese-sounding instrumental notes.

Mr Negative fucking rules and if we're dealing with Martin Li as peter and Mr Negative as Spider-Man this game has the potential to be goddamn incredible from a storytelling standpoint.

Even if it takes the N64 Spiderman route of just throwing in tons of villains, thats also fine because Mr Negative is TOTALLY one of them. I went from cautiously optimistic to losing my goddamn marbles. Insomniac DESTROYED with Sunset Overdrive: that game is the only reason I still own an Xbone.

BlackHeron

Neo Member
Man, the entire world is talking about this reveal.
The millions of views on the trailer, the fact it trended for a whole day...
This cannot be real life.

curb

Banned
I believe Marvel/Disney got back the video game rights for their properties a couple years ago.

It's more semantics but I don't think Marvel had ever lost the rights. Rather there was an active licensing deal with Activision in place that covered console and PC games that ended a couple years ago.

Flipyap

http://giant.gfycat.com/ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif[/ IMG]

Kinda a dick move smashing through it.[/QUOTE]
Never mind the window, I hope he's going to pay the hospital bills of the folks he just showered with broken glass.

SPIDER-MAN: HERO OR MENACE? I'm not sure, but he sure seems like a piece of shit!

gamerMan

I don't get the incredulous reactions. There's nothing in that trailer that's unachievable on PS4, and street density/interior detail aside, the game evokes Second Son's graphics a ton. Those particle effects, motion blur, PBR, etc. look similarly impressive to a game from 2014.

We're just so accustomed to trailers that try so hard to be "cinematic" but utterly and embarrassingly fail that a nicely composited and storyboarded trailer with actual cinematic flair ends up looking like CG :p

To be honest, I didn't know it was realtime when I first watched it because of the camera angles which resembled a movie. In the past, Sony has a long history of using CG and passing it off as realtime footage. Killzone, Eight Days Later, Motorstorm, I'm looking at you. When Batman was first revealed, it looked better than the final product. The Uncharted 4 E32014 footage was prerendered but Sony pretended it was realtime.

Insomoniac has confirmed that this is the game. Still, it could be designed as a tech demo with no AI or any game related logic running. It could be a target. Since the game is not playable, these could be automatic sequences with little player input.

None of this was actual gameplay. Realtime cutscenes, yes! Gameplay, no. Given the angles shown, the game would be impossible to play unless the game consists of nothing but quicktime events.

I want to see some actual gameplay not just scripted realtime cutscenes. Besides, if it's gameplay, it would be quite annoying if every jump you make the camera zoomed in on Spiderman. If the visual fidelity extends to the game, this might be the best superhero game ever. I am super excited for this.

Please no, i want them to focus on the Spider-Man universe only.

Yeah all that other nonsense is unnecessary imo. As someone who isn't a comic reader, I know how rich and great Spidey's universe is.

irrc The important part to me that seemed so lacking in all the other games is how they introduce these bigger characters. The villians just seemed to be sprinkled-in out of nowhere. No reason for fighting, just like hey its a bad guy.

To be honest, I didn't know it was realtime when I first watched it because of the camera angles which resembled a movie. In the past, Sony has a long history of using CG and passing it off as realtime footage. Killzone, Eight Days Later, Motorstorm, I'm looking at you. When Batman was first revealed, it looked better than the final product. The Uncharted 4 E32014 footage was prerendered but Sony pretended it was realtime.

Insomoniac has confirmed that this is the game. Still, it could be designed as a tech demo with no AI or any game related logic running. It could be a target. Since the game is not playable, these could be automatic sequences with little player input.

None of this was actual gameplay. Realtime cutscenes, yes! Gameplay, no. Given the angles shown, the game would be impossible to play unless the game consists of nothing but quicktime events.

I want to see some actual gameplay not just scripted realtime cutscenes. Besides, if it's gameplay, it would be quite annoying if every jump you make the camera zoomed in on Spiderman. If the visual fidelity extends to the game, this might be the best superhero game ever. I am super excited for this.

41TGtHl.jpg

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I meant to mention it before, but the music in this trailer is so damn good. I don't know if it's an original piece for the game, or something from a trailer music company, but it's great.

I'm also going to throw my hat in the ring concerning the swinging. There's a portion that's been giffed already, but it certainly looks like the web Spidey is swinging on is attached to a building based off of the angle of the swing.

As much as I loathe Spider-Man 2, one of the things I did enjoy about it while QA'ing it was mastering the swinging system. It felt like there was some real skill required to pull off some impressive maneuvers, as well as getting maximum speedy while swinging. I enjoyed the charged jump, as well as the speed boost when moving forward. Another thing I noticed in that swinging gif is that the distortion of the buildings in the background as he goes forward. It gives the impressing that he's building up momentum. His legs also start to kick out, like he's going to launch himself up (another thing I enjoyed about the SM2 swing engine was building up momentum, then pressing "X" to kick out of the swing and into the air, getting crazy height and momentum).

Insomniac knows controls, so I'm not worried about that when it comes to this game. I just hope more than anything that it's not cloud swinging. That's my only ask, personally.

Damn, Spider-Man 2 was so fucking mediocre. 50-60 plus hour work weeks on that thing, 6-7 days a week. It almost broke me. I was excited because it was my first Activision project, and, well, Spider-Man, but by the end, if I even heard the word "balloon," or "thwip," I'd go into convulsions. It was probably the most exhausting project I've ever worked on, and I've worked on Neverwinter Nights 2! (that game was a beast to test, but much more enjoyable than SM2).

Am I the only 1 that feels like this game's reveal made me want to see more of it more than any other game that was shown?
I mean yeah games like GOW4 look amazing and all, but I reallyyyy want a good Spidey game and this looks to be it. Give me an interesting story and no boring must-do side missions and I'm all in.
Give me Arkham City-type locations, missions, intriguing story, fast-paced, gameplay, basically give me AC but with Spiderman - and I'll be more than happy

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the stuff I wanna see most as soon as possible? The Parker gameplay part.

I know right?

30488-Woody-Harrelson-crying-money-b-8fc5.gif

Looks like a (likely) win for all involved, but we'll see :)

Showed the trailer to my kids last night. Man, never hear so much wailing when I told them we wouldn't see the game until next year at best :)

This thing is going to sell more than 5MM copies in the first month. Guaranteed.

Neoxon

I can't find Neoxon's post in this thread but they go into great detail here

Edit: linked from the reddit post:

mmh.png
Here's the post.
Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

Neoxon

Fair enough. I hope this is out for homecoming's cinema release.
If that was the case, they would have mentioned a 2017 release year for the game during the reveal. That doesn't rule out a 2017 release, but don't get your hopes up for it to come out alongside Spider-Man: Homecoming. Don't forget that Spidey will likely be in Avengers: Infinity War, so they also have 2018 as a possible time-frame.

Concerning the city and other marvel characters, I really hope they make it Marvels New York. Avengers tower, avengers mansion, Baxter building, Fisk tower, Oscorp, dr strange's sanctum sanctorum, empire university and so on. Ultimate spider-man was really good in that respect. I don't need a lot of other marvel characters running around but at least acknowledge them in the same way that the Arkham games have done.

Neoxon

Concerning the city and other marvel characters, I really hope they make it Marvels New York. Avengers tower, avengers mansion, Baxter building, Fisk tower, Oscorp, dr strange's sanctum sanctorum, empire university and so on. Ultimate spider-man was really good in that respect. I don't need a lot of other marvel characters running around but at least acknowledge them in the same way that the Arkham games have done.
I'm pretty sure that they aren't allowed to use the Baxter Building (see a few posts above you for why). We'll probably see the likes of Avengers Tower & Oscorp, but don't get your hopes up for any references to franchises that Fox has the rights to.

Spinluck

When are people gonna realize devs have the tools to fuck around with the in game camera in order to cut trailers.

I'm pretty sure that they aren't allowed to use the Baxter Building (see a few posts above you for why).

I know they're limiting the use of X-Men and FF but Baxter Building is still such a big part of Marvels NY so it would feel weird if it was missing. I don't think it will be there but I hope it will.

It feels weird talking about this, for so long this have been my dream game and now it is actually real.

Neoxon

I know they're limiting the use of X-Men and FF but Baxter Building is still such a big part of Marvels NY so it would feel weird if it was missing. I don't think it will be there but I hope it will.

It feels weird talking about this, for so long this have been my dream game and now it is actually real.
If I recall, they removed the Baxter Building from Lego Avengers' NYC (which was otherwise a drag-&-drop from Lego Marvel) as well as leaving out the Baxter Building entirely from both renditions of NYC in Disney Infinity's Marvel playsets (one for Avengers, another for Spider-Man). So yeah, it's definitely Marvel not wanting any reference to the Fox franchises.

If I recall, they removed the Baxter Building from Lego Avengers' NYC (which was otherwise a drag-&-drop from Lego Marvel) as well as leaving out the Baxter Building entirely from both renditions of NYC in Disney Infinity's Marvel playsets (one for Avengers, another for Spider-Man). So yeah, it's definitely Marvel not wanting any reference to the Fox franchises.
Bah that's lame. Everyone that knows what the Baxter Building is by name already know of Fantastic Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom