• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Direct announced (7.6.17 @ 7AM PT / 10AM ET)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yo, I need to know the voice actresses of the new duo so I can follow them on Twitter. I don't think they'll ever top the Squid Sisters though since those 2 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Splatoon and still talk and meet-up in real life.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Time to clean house of all these pretenders and traitors.

42a.gif
Yup

Renna Hazel

Didn't seem like much new information there, and some of the stuff we did find out was bad news. Really disappointed about salmon run being a timed thing, as well as ranked rotation still being a thing.

Blunoise

I'm loving the diversity Nintendo! So they are both a squid and octarion, does that mean citations now live in peace with squids or what? And what happens to Marie and Callie after the story mode!!!!

Btw #teammarina

bigpumbaa

What's most shocking to me is how quickly Nintendo's team pumped this out.

Also. As a brown guy who played a brown squidling... Marina is goddess.

Chauzu

The fun part about Salmon Run being set times is that it isn't news. They stated this during Treehouse Live on E3, me and a few others picked up on it. We were convinced that they couldn't possibly mean that, but since this is Nintendo and Nintendo does Nintendo things, I can't say I got shocked by this.

It's decided then, Marina is the new best girl.
Its a no-brainer.
...I'm liking the attitude Pearl brings, but her design is so boring and theres something really off about her face. Everything about Marina just seems way better... Oh god their doing again! The game's not even out and I'm already taking sides against a digital fish person in favor of the better digital fish person!

Salmon Run only being available at certain times is some insane bullshit.

I couldn't agree more. For a game that seems like perfection, getting this wrong seems so dumb. I hope they eventually make it available at all times.

Could the reason be, because they know more people would gravitate to co-op than competitive, so they limit the co-op?

God, the game looks incredible, feeling perfectly safe for pre-ordering off of Amazon. I'm also digging Marina so far. Pearl looks kinda of bleh, though, which sucks because both of the Squid Sisters still looked appealing

Salmon Run only being available at certain times is some insane bullshit.
Yeah, that's the kind of mode that should be available whenever. I feel the same for the Ranked Battle modes, tbh. Some people only have a little amount of free time here and there so they may not even be able to play Salmon Run

Pandy

Everything looks AMAZING. I think my only negative is that there wasn't a new multiplayer mode, but they've introduced so many new QOL features. No more fucking random rolls for abilities!

Yup, my only disappointment is that they didn't squeeze in a head-to-head mode for split joycon 2 player on the go. Everything else looks solid.
(Excusing the expected Nintendo 'difference' with online stuff, which I think will work out fine in actual use, even if it seems designed to annoy people used to gaming on Xbox Live or PSN.)

Salmon bring online at specific time only is rather dumb.

The Splatoon team has a weird habit of limiting you online.
Keeps the population focused at any given time, without limiting the variety of gameplay options overall.

Made a lot of sense for Splatoon, given the doom-laden sales prediction thread for that game, makes less sense here. I guess it'll keep things tight towards the end when the population begins tailing off.

Looks great. The new additions look excellent and it seems they're really going to recapture that same feel of the first.

Disappointed about Salmon run being event based, but other than that, I'm all in.

Edit: I see this thread has devolved into "best girl" stupidity. Oh well. I knew that would happen the minute they introduced the new characters. Here's to hoping we can have a separate OT for that kind of stuff like they did with the Persona 5 OT.

I'm loving the diversity Nintendo! So they are both a squid and octarion, does that mean citations now live in peace with squids or what? And what happens to Marie and Callie after the story mode!!!!

Btw #teammarina

What if Inkopolis was just some backwards racist city and everywhere else Inklings are just fine with Octarians.

That's why Callie left.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So... This game is only going to take up 3 gigs on my Switch at launch.

How the fuck do they do this?

Yukinari

The app and salmon run news is the worst part for sure.

I also dont like the replacements for some of the shop owners. Only really like Flow.

Not watching - but any word on the single-player campaign yet? Are they going to include Splatoon 1's campaign?

I doubt they will, everything they have shown has been new, and they are pushing the idea that time has passed between the two games. Given that all of the special attacks have been changed and they are calling it Splatoon 2, I think they want this game to feel distinct (my phone know the word Splatoon, crazy)

The character designs have been dialed up to 11. Everything from the Inkling's themselves to the enemies in Salmon run to the new idols demolish the first game.

I saw someone mention on Twitter that the new groups name is TentaCool in the German version. I wonder why they didn't go with that instead of Off the Hook in the US?

Ridley327

Why do they refuse local multiplayer for this game...

I imagine the interface for the map and spawning is a real bitch to figure out for more than one person. That's why the split-screen mode was so limited in the first game, since it cut out so much of the standard gameplay. Offering up full wireless and LAN options is the best route to go, I feel.

DeanBDean

I doubt they will, everything they have shown has been new, and they are pushing the idea that time has passed between the two games. Given that all of the special attacks have been changed and they are calling it Splatoon 2, I think they want this game to feel distinct (my phone know the word Splatoon, crazy)

Nintendo can't even get a port right, they're including a new campaign instead of the old one.

nikos

Had fun with Splatoon on the Wii U, but something about this Direct made me really not like anything about this game's aesthetic. Maybe it was the annoying presentation.

Also, Pearl and Marina are terrible designs IMO.

jmizzal

Why do they refuse local multiplayer for this game...

They are worried about frame rate, Splatoon 1 had it but it was one on the tv and other on the gamepad

I think they should just take the frame rate hit and do split screen for people who wants it

Top Bottom