• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Doorman

Doorman how many times have I said to not pay attention to that stuff, they change it literally every time we see it lol
True, but every time we see it is a time closer to release. It needs to be finalized at SOME point. Especially now that they seem to be tweeting out other "finished" kits.

Mostly I think I'm just not sure why they'd ever feel a need to give the dualies burst bombs? That and Splashdown on the splattershot are the only two moves or changes I've seen that I can't see much sense in.

J@hranimo

Banned
The new Pro is basically the spiritual love child of the Vanilla Pro and Forge Pro from the first game. Seems to be a good kit overall.

I'm wondering if they made any more tweaks to the weapon itself to warrant this type of kit in the first place? Like with a bomb.

If they put this with an H-3 nozzlenose i can see some damage being done. Throw the sub then drench them with ink to prevent escape.

Huh, that'd be cool actually. They'd have to tweak that weapon A LOT to make it much more viable overall though.

Moondrop

Banned
Mostly I think I'm just not sure why they'd ever feel a need to give the dualies burst bombs? That and Splashdown on the splattershot are the only two moves or changes I've seen that I can't see much sense in.
Burst bomb on dualies makes sense to me. When I tried to go gun-to-gun with dualies vs splattershots, the TTK was too low and I had to severely outplay them to win. I never saw how curling bombs were supposed to help with that, but burst bomb for the initial chip followed by a clever roll sounds like a plan.

This is third public revision of the starter loadouts- fascinating turnover.

Doorman

Burst bomb on dualies makes sense to me. When I tried to go gun-to-gun with dualies vs splattershots, the TTK was too low and I had to severely outplay them to win. I never saw how curling bombs were supposed to help with that, but burst bomb for the initial chip followed by a clever roll sounds like a plan.

This is third public revision of the starter loadouts- fascinating turnover.

That's just it though--the point of the dualies is supposed to be that it doesn't necessarily get kills that easily against something like a splattershot since it's a 4-hit KO instead of 3-hit, but its improved fire rate and evasiveness are tools given to help make up for that. If dualies can hit with a burst bomb and then get a 2-hit KO, and a splattershot can hit with a burst bomb and then get a 2-hit KO....but the dualies also cover turf more quickly and add in the roll for extra trickiness and maneuverability as well as a special weapon with more utility...what's the point of ever using the regular Splattershot? People that preferred the Tentatek in the first game will just go right back to the Tentatek this time and that leaves the game's most fundamental weapon once again in a place where it's just flat outclassed by its contemporaries.

I know I'm looking further ahead than I should. But I really liked the splattershot with its original kit and seeing it go to something else that was already going to be popular and now will be even more popular irks me a bit. Just what is the thought process behind Splashdown on a Splattershot? How does that kit synergize at all?

Jims

If they go Splat Dualie/Burst Bomb/Splashdown, that is a really aggressive load-out. Just go straight up to people and bounce around. Bursting and sliding could get kinda crazy.

Feels like they're changing a lot of the subweapons and specials to emphasize zoning and moving enemies more. They gave disruptors and point sensors a timed AoE kinda deal like suction bombs have. With invincibility specials supposedly gone, they replaced them with a lot of specials designed to get people to move. Is Splatoon 2 going to be a more defensive game than the first?

Moondrop

Banned
I know I'm looking further ahead than I should. But I really liked the splattershot with its original kit and seeing it go to something else that was already going to be popular and now will be even more popular irks me a bit. Just what is the thought process behind Splashdown on a Splattershot? How does that kit synergize at all?
I hear you- I'm still upset vanilla roller was briefly given curling bombs and then switched back to suction. It's fine to look ahead, but we must remember the original had ~60 kits in the end, so there's going to be overlap.

I don't get splattershot/splashdown either, however I wonder if the idea is to to be a "team player" and use splashdown with quick superjump or something.

Feels like they're changing a lot of the subweapons and specials to emphasize zoning and moving enemies more. They gave disruptors and point sensors a timed AoE kinda deal like suction bombs have. With invincibility specials supposedly gone, they replaced them with a lot of specials designed to get people to move. Is Splatoon 2 going to be a more defensive game than the first?
I don't know about more, perhaps different like you said. More holding chokepoints, less personal Ramboing I guess.

Jims

I don't know about more, perhaps different like you said. More holding chokepoints, less personal Ramboing I guess.

Yeah, maybe "defensive" isn't the word for it, maybe more "tactical"? Like, the Tentatek is one of the most aggressive weapons in the game and it has a Suction Bomb with zoning capabilities. Seems like Splatoon 2 will have less of the Rambo'ing that you describe, where people just charge into dangerous areas because they have a Kraken or Bubbler.

J@hranimo

Banned
Actually the Splat Dualies as of the latest videos has burst bomb and tentamissles. There are two Splattershot builds: burst bomb and splashdown, and splat bomb and inkjet (I'm guessing this is the Tentatek build, which the icon has been seen in some footage recently too). Splat roller has been reverted back to the curling bomb and splashdown set since the testfire in March. Splat Charger seems to be the only one of the first 4 untouched.

Doorman

I hear you- I'm still upset vanilla roller was briefly given curling bombs and then switched back to suction. It's fine to look ahead, but we must remember the original had ~60 kits in the end, so there's going to be overlap.

I don't get splattershot/splashdown either, however I wonder if the idea is to to be a "team player" and use splashdown with quick superjump or something.
As of the most recent video clips they've been posting with the updated build (the one including the Octobrush and Pro, etc.), Splat Roller does indeed have the curling bomb back. The testfire is the only time it was ever switched to Suction Bomb, which I find odd.

I can understand the roller having Splashdown since it's already otherwise a close range engagement weapon. I'm less crazy about it on the blaster but I can understand it, since that particular blaster also doesn't necessarily excel if someone's charging right for you, or using it to cover a jump-in and then maybe following up with a direct shot. But with the Splattershot...it already deals with most ranges decently thanks to having burst bomb, and it doesn't feel like a weapon that particularly benefits from using a Superjump Splashdown. Tentamissiles made more sense to me as a tool to harrass long-range chargers or splatlings and force movements into more favorable engagements. It was great for follow-up. I don't feel that same degree of logic applying now--Splashdown just feels like it was thrown on there because they didn't want it and the dualies to share a special.

Yeah, maybe "defensive" isn't the word for it, maybe more "tactical"? Like, the Tentatek is one of the most aggressive weapons in the game and it has a Suction Bomb with zoning capabilities. Seems like Splatoon 2 will have less of the Rambo'ing that you describe, where people just charge into dangerous areas because they have a Kraken or Bubbler.

Every offensively-used special leaves its user exposed now if they're careless about how they activate it. You're right though, with the new time-lingering effects of the Mist and Point Sensor, along with stuff like the Suction Bomb being a big hitbox and the Autobomb locating hidden foes, there seems to be a big emphasis on forcing movement and subtly controlling particular spaces, much moreso than the subs and specials in Splatoon 1 that allowed for bombastic solo plays and immediate turnarounds. There's no panic-kraken or sudden turnaround inkzooka blast here.

DByaYQJUwAAN4sX.jpg

DByaY6WVwAIJayv.jpg

DByaZoyUMAA4yRc.jpg

Ink mine is back.

with poison mist and jetpack.

ryechu

That purple gadget looks insane if it actually draws in all of the paints like a tornado?

its an inkmine. It's invisible to enemies and detonates when enemies get close or when its inked over by their color. It was by far the worst sub weapon in splatoon 1, but in splatoon 2, you can plant two at the same time, the blast radius was way bigger, and the blast radius also marks players caught in the blast so you can see them through walls.

J@hranimo

Banned
Also looks like the Stingray got the buff we all wanted: When not firing, you can turn faster than when shooting. That's a huge pre-release buff, which will make it much more viable!

Dynamo has a sick loadout, and I hate the weapon usually.....lol.

I know some may not like the new Splash-o-matic loadout, but it makes sense.

I really hope they reveal the Rapid Blaster and Sploosh-o-matic before release.

Pachimari

its an inkmine. It's invisible to enemies and detonates when enemies get close or when its inked over by their color. It was by far the worst sub weapon in splatoon 1, but in splatoon 2, you can plant two at the same time, the blast radius was way bigger, and the blast radius also marks players caught in the blast so you can see them through walls.

That looks cool too.

I gotta be real sure I understood what was explained to me earlier, it's a little hard to get the hang out with no games at my hands, but I choose a preset and then those 3 things that come with the preset is all I bring with me into battle correct?

Doorman

Viable ink mines, and mistruptors on an actually decent semi-auto weapon. What an update! With two mines, Dynamo can entrench themselves pretty well and keep flinging dat ink.
That looks cool too.

I gotta be real sure I understood what was explained to me earlier, it's a little hard to get the hang out with no games at my hands, but I choose a preset and then those 3 things that come with the preset is all I bring with me into battle correct?
Every weapon equippable in the game is a preset kit of main weapon, sub weapon, and special. Every main weapon has at least one variant with a different sub/special combo as well.
In addition, your headgear, shirt, and shoes all have abilities tied to them that will change certain stats (movement speed, ink efficiency, etc.) and that's used to customize your particular playstyle.

random25

Why? Always found them to be shit, hopefully they're better now

They are very useful in Splat Zones and can even catch someone off guard when things go rowdy. They are not that powerful obviously but I love it as an inking tool.

Now that they are buffed, I'm looking forward for its return.

Moondrop

Banned
As of the most recent video clips they've been posting with the updated build (the one including the Octobrush and Pro, etc.), Splat Roller does indeed have the curling bomb back. The testfire is the only time it was ever switched to Suction Bomb, which I find odd.
Booyah! I could main that.

Jims

When I saw that Dynamo kit, my first instinct was that Nintendo hates the Dynamo and wants to kill it. But with having 2 ink mines with a bigger blast radius, it could be kinda interesting. You could kinda force people right into a giant roller swing.

Splash looks good. Poison mist seems like it could suit that weapon.

Geg

Yeah same, I saw ink mines on the dynamo and thought "Yes, the dynamo will be a bit weaker now!" but then saw all the various buffs ink mines are getting and was like oh

Doorman

Yeah the new Dynamo kit is definitely not a nerf now that ink mines are so improved. It'll require a shift in approach from a play perspective but I can already see how trying to deal with an entrenched Dynamo will be a huge pain.

Interestingly they revealed the new Splash at the same time, which happens to have toxic mist now...possibly the best way to neutralize the new dynamo. I wonder if equating these two weapons was somewhat intentional?

noshten

I'm not sure if Inkmine would be OP if you could remotely detonate it but that's what I've always wanted to be able to do with this sub. The delay allows people to escape a lot of the times, it can't be spammed, it's not useful for inking or rainmaker and you used to be limited by having only one on the field.
I guess having two might change things up but I still would have preferred to be able to detonate it remotely.

roknin

Did they replace the seeker cause it was pretty fun to use it to get out of spawn really fast in arowana mall.

I'm still praying they get in as it's my favorite sub weapon by far, but from the looks of it that new curling thing looks to be its replacement.

backlot

Yeah the new Dynamo kit is definitely not a nerf now that ink mines are so improved. It'll require a shift in approach from a play perspective but I can already see how trying to deal with an entrenched Dynamo will be a huge pain.

It's not really all that much of a shift in approach. You still set up your sub weapon and then play defensively. It actually reminds me a bit of the Tempered Dynamo's kit where it's still more oriented towards stage control but has the option to be used offensively.

I'm not sure if Inkmine would be OP if you could remotely detonate it but that's what I've always wanted to be able to do with this sub. The delay allows people to escape a lot of the times, it can't be spammed, it's not useful for inking or rainmaker and you used to be limited by having only one on the field.
I guess having two might change things up but I still would have preferred to be able to detonate it remotely.

I think it's more about area and passage control than anything. With two you can be a LOT more effective in trying to control an area or at least slow down an advance considerably.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm.....Sploosh with Autobomb and...Bomb Launcher? They'd probably give it something like Splashdown instead.
I have gone fully in on the Sploosh 7. I love the splash bomb/inkzooka combo. I'm hoping for something similar to that where I can battle at close range, use bombs to get shit done at a medium distance, and have a long range weapon. I'd love splash bomb/stinger.

J@hranimo

Banned
I had a post ready about the main 4 weapons...

...but then THAT happened! The only changes I see is that the sprinkler sprays faster when placed and slows down over time, compared to Splatoon 1 where it acts the opposite.

I'm not sure about the models though. The splash wall, like all those weapon brands, got a facelift and is mainly black besides the color ink coming from it.

Aldric

So Slosher's kit is suction bomb/tentamissiles and Splatling is sprinkler/stingray. Quite a change for the Slosher while the Splatling resembles the Remix version from the first game.

Top Bottom