• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Moondrop

Banned
Are we able to scrap the subs whenever we want? Or does it cost something?

It might be worth just constantly scrapping the subs in the splatfest shirt over and over again if the shirt is just going to get taken away.
tumblr_inline_onotsgdTih1t4m0j9_1280.jpg
You have to be level 4 to talk to Murch, and it does appear we pay. I think they intend for Splatfests to be used to farm ability chunks.

Doorman

Are we able to scrap the subs whenever we want? Or does it cost something?

It might be worth just constantly scrapping the subs in the splatfest shirt over and over again if the shirt is just going to get taken away.

They touched on this already among some of the earlier Japanese tweets, IIRC it costs 20,000 in squid-cash to pay Murch to scrub a piece of gear (old Spyke rerolls, as you may recall, were 30k). You can of course also pay a Super Sea Snail for the same result. I don't believe it's been confirmed anywhere quite yet whether adding slots to lower-star gear still costs 30k or was reduced to 20k as well. From watching the direct, it looks like there's no monetary cost to adding abilities to a piece of gear, aside from needing enough "ability chunks" to set it.

The two examples of it that they show in the direct were Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery, both of which required 10 chunks in order to set. So even if you're farming from a piece of gear with nothing but pure subs, you'll need to pay for at least 4 wipes before you'll have enough chunks to set a single intentional ability. You can also get ability chunks (and more than one at a time) as a bonus for completing Salmon Runs.

Jims

Ah, then in that case, it doesn't make as much sense to repeatedly farm the subs during Splatfest. I'm thinking, if you really wanted to farm (for example) Swim Speed... It would make more sense to buy an Swim Speed drink from Crusty Sean and then power level a bunch of 1* Krak-On gear (with the 3 slots already unlocked).

It's kinda early to start thinking of how the economy of the game will be like, but I'm starting to consider how much grinding will be needed to get that perfect gear.

the last few updates from the Japanese twitter account to be complete
about the splatnet 2 app (sadly can't translate)

これは「イカリング2」。 自分のランクやウデマエ、最近のバトルの結果や今後のステージ情報など、「スプラトゥーン2」の様々な情報を、スマートフォンで閲覧できる便利なサービスだ。 Nintendo Switch Onlineアプリをダウンロードすると利用することができるぞ。

イカリング2に内蔵されている「ゲソタウン」。 ハイカラシティでアタマやの店員をしていた「アネモ」が独立して作ったネットショップだ。 ここで注文したギアは、スパイキーから代金引き換えで受け取ることができるぞ。 本物のお金ではなく、ゲームの中のおカネで支払うのでご安心いただきたい。

ゲソタウンで手に入るギアは、見た目は通常のものと同じだが、付いている基本ギアパワーが異なる。 時間が経つと品揃えが変わるので、ファッションにもギアパワーにもこだわりたいイカは定期的にチェックだ。 ゲソタウンのギアは非売品ではないので、広場にいるイカが身に着けていれば注文も可能だ。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/883255267034451969

and the battle booth got a splatoon 2 update

ナワバリバトルがその場で楽しめる移動式の対戦ブース「イカス屋台」。 「スプラトゥーン2」の発売に合わせて新装開店、リニューアルしたぞ! デザインが2仕様に一新されたほか、ブキ棚が併設されるなど、大幅な進化を遂げている

more pics at the twitter post

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/883293356775751681

and the best new special

これは新しいスペシャルウェポン、「イカスフィア」。 ある程度のダメージを防ぐことができる球体に包まれ、縦横無尽に戦場を駆け回ることができる。 ZRボタンを長押しすると中にインクがたまり、いっぱいになるとその場で爆発を起こすことができる。 前線に飛び込んで相手チームをかき乱そう。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884220485063524352

sorry for the multiple posts but putting all of it in one post would be a bit too long

the new Splatfest updates from the japanese splatoon twitter

Rock vs Pop art with Pearl and Marina

前夜祭のお題は「ロック vs ポップ」。 「ロック」と言えば、耳をつんざくエレキギターの金属音と、全身を震わす激しいビート、そして魂を揺さぶるシャウト。 ラウドなサウンドに身を任せれば、思わず頭を揺らし、飛び跳ねずにはいられない。 やっぱり「ロック」かなぁ……。 #前夜祭

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884338542280794112

いや、「ポップ」も負けてはいない。 甘いメロディーと、切ないハーモニー、心に染みわたるリリックに、癒され、勇気づけられた人も多いだろう。 ちなみに、イイダはシオカラーズの大ファンで、人生が変わるほどの影響を受けたとか。 やっぱり「ポップ」かなぁ……。 #前夜祭

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884344241400365056

フェス投票をするともらえるフェスTには、「追加ギアパワー倍化」という基本ギアパワーがついている。 そのギアについた追加ギアパワーの効果を、それぞれ2倍にするものだ。 フェスT以外にはつかない、特殊なギアパワーとなっている。 #前夜祭

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884347171587227648

フェスに参加すると、ごほうびで「スーパーサザエ」がもらえる。 スパイキーに渡せば、ギアのスロット拡張やギアパワーの付け替えができる便利なアイテムだ。 ただし、前夜祭ではスーパーサザエ、オカネ、ケイケンチは手に入らず、製品版へのセーブデータの引き継ぎもできないぞ。 あしからず。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/884347659439362048

13ruce

Banned
Never played the first. No idea what im doing. But im excited to jump in and give this a go.

Im gonna get rekt...err inkt i guess?

Nah just start with turf war and after you got better/confident enough play ranked.

Turf war is more about inking turf so even if you get 0 kills you still can become first or change tides and win if you ink smart.

Nah just start with turf war and after you got better/confident enough play ranked.

Turf war is more about inking turf so even if you get 0 kills you still can become first or change tides and win if you ink smart.

That sounds very friendly for newcomers. Thanks!

My Art of Splatoon book shipped today from Amazon and my Wet Floor cd shipped from Amazon Japan. Those combined with the Splatfest means it's going to be a really good week.

Don't really have a choice on that matter if Splatoon 1 is any indication as you needed to be level 10 before you could play Ranked. I think that's going to carry over as well since we again can't buy gear or weapons until higher levels just like Splat1.

My Art of Splatoon book shipped today from Amazon and my Wet Floor cd shipped from Amazon Japan. Those combined with the Splatfest means it's going to be a really good week.

completely forgot about the splatoon artbook in english.
Coming out this week , huh? guess i'll order it tomorrow

What are "ability chunks?" All I remember from Splatoon 1 are the Super Sea Snails.
Back in the day, when you wanted to change the sub abilities on your clothing, you had to talk to Spyke and have him randomize the abilities on your clothing. It was all three sub abilities at once, and it costed 30k squid bux or 1 sea snail each time you requested a reroll. This was rather sucky because you might be satisfied with 1 or 2 sub abilities, but you're not guaranteed to keep them when you reroll.

With Murch, you have the choice of turning sub abilities into ability chunks. This effectively wipes the gear clean, so that they have empty slots, and the sub abilities that fall off become ability chunks of their appropriate type. The chunks you receive can be used to fill in empty slots, at a rate of 10 chunks of the appropriate ability to fill a slot. This is great because, even though there's still some randomness to getting the abilities that you want, Murch's services provide a better progression than Spyke's services do.

J@hranimo

Banned
Looks like tomorrow is when Splatoon 2 previews will start popping up on various youtube channels and such. The embargo seems to indicate that they can show up to 5 minutes of Hero Mode and some other content. I'm basing that on Derrick's tweet of Gamexplain.

Soulfire

Got the art book in the mail today. I hadn't done much research into it, just saw it was Splatoon and purchased, I was pleasantly surprised. It's nice and thick and really cool. At the end it's got all the Splatoon 2 Promo images and mentions that they're assembling a new research offering for Splatoon 2. So it sounds like there will be another one which is nice.

Could you upload some pictures when you recieve it just to get an idea of what it contains. I'm interested in buying one.

Didn't play the first Splatoon, but I downloaded the little preview demo last night.

Does this game force the gyro controls to aim, or can I just use the joystick?

Grylvak

Didn't play the first Splatoon, but I downloaded the little preview demo last night.

Like the first game it'll most likely force you in the tutorial, but you can change it after. The tutorial is usually only a few minutes depending on how fast you do it.

I don't get why modes are still rotating for this game? I mean come on you know millions will sell. Let people pick whichever ranked mode the want. It's not like they have 10 modes for people to choose from- it's only a few.

Seriously try gyro aiming. They're so amazing and natural feeling. Fiddle with sensitivity if you think it goes too fast / slow. I can't imagine going back to two sticking ever again.

Resilient

sorry, i accidentally posted this in the Pearl/Marina thread

the Splatoon 2 twitter account showed off 3 special weapons today, one of which will probably be DLC (the new bubble launcher). there was another weapon a few weeks ago that was said to be coming as DLC too

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

translated descriptions here:
http://www.jtyaku.net/three-special-...bble-launcher/

they're still being coy about how they talk about the DLC model, i think it will be free only for a short time after release.

they're still being coy about how they talk about the DLC model, i think it will be free only for a short time after release.

That would be extremely unusual considering that all the post-release DLC for splatoon 1 was free. And with the Animal Crossing ties, I'm pretty sure that's not going to change.

Resilient

That would be extremely unusual considering that all the post-release DLC for splatoon 1 was free. And with the Animal Crossing ties, I'm pretty sure that's not going to change.

don't get me wrong, i hope it stays free too, but i don't think it would be too unusual as nintendo have changed their approach to DLC in the last year.

but , i think given the nature of Splatoon, paid DLC would really ruin its vibe. its part of what makes it so great.

Doorman

There's no way in hell they'll start charging for DLC in Splatoon. They've said as much.

If you want to look at Nintendo charging money for future-proofing their online game expenses...well, that's what the charge for Switch Online in 2018 is for.

don't get me wrong, i hope it stays free too, but i don't think it would be too unusual as nintendo have changed their approach to DLC in the last year.

I mean if ARMS's post launch content was free, wouldn't that be because Splatoon was free? Why would they change the Splatoon 2 model up, in your prophecy?

Resilient

a couple of new special weapons showcased again today at the twitter page, the variable roller and crash blaster.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/885669428678901763
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/885665973868548096

translations here http://www.jtyaku.net/two-splatoon-2-special-weapon-details-crash-blaster-and-variable-roller/

I mean if ARMS's post launch content was free, wouldn't that be because Splatoon was free? Why would they change the Splatoon 2 model up, in your prophecy?

The ARMS point is a very good one. I actually hope it stays free, if anything I'm being cynical.
Everything points to it being free, but then the cynical side of me says, it's so popular - it's only a matter of time before they see it as a potential money maker.

If anything, I think MP content will stay free forever. Maybe they'll add new SP modes/episodes as paid content. They do seem to be taking Hero Mode a bit more seriously this swing around. That would be more inline with the paid DLC approach they've taken so far (story mode in Zelda is paid).

The ARMS point is a very good one. I actually hope it stays free, if anything I'm being cynical.
Everything points to it being free, but then the cynical side of me says, it's so popular - it's only a matter of time before they see it as a potential money maker.

If anything, I think MP content will stay free forever. Maybe they'll add new SP modes/episodes as paid content. They do seem to be taking Hero Mode a bit more seriously this swing around. That would be more inline with the paid DLC approach they've taken so far (story mode in Zelda is paid).

Looks like you're doin' that again, eh?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

but , i think given the nature of Splatoon, paid DLC would really ruin its vibe. its part of what makes it so great.

I'm curious which games you're thinking of that show Nintendo has changed its mind with how it handles DLC. Would you mind elaborating? I'm really just curious because nothing has stood out to me in the past year.

EDIT: Ah, perhaps Zelda? I see that mostly as its own thing and perhaps most comparable to NSMBU getting an expansion in the form of NSLU, but I suppose it is relatively new for Nintendo.

Resilient

Looks like you're doin' that again, eh?

My bad :p
Now that I think about it more. I can't think of a game that would receive worse backlash for going the paid DLC route than Splatoon 2. the fanbase would riot, and it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm curious which games you're thinking of that show Nintendo has changed its mind with how it handles DLC. Would you mind elaborating? I'm really just curious because nothing has stood out to me in the past year.

EDIT: Ah, perhaps Zelda? I see that mostly as its own thing and perhaps most comparable to NSMBU getting an expansion in the form of NSLU, but I suppose it is relatively new for Nintendo.

yeah - thats pretty much it (Zelda). MK8, NSMBU, Zelda - they're on a much larger scale than new weapons, modes and maps etc. you have to admit though, the time spent creating that content must surely add up for those Nintendo teams!

Might as well ask here too.

Is there an official Switch thread or do we just ask our questions in any thread about the Switch and hope it gets answered? Cause i have a concern about mine.

Resilient

yeah these are not special weapons

my bad, thats what happens when you rush! appreciate it.

Might as well ask here too.

Is there an official Switch thread or do we just ask our questions in any thread about the Switch and hope it gets answered? Cause i have a concern about mine.

depends, is it hardware related? all the switch hardware threads look pretty dead. just ask here i guess.

The first game arguably already had this in the form of challenge levels locked behind amiibo.

MP definitely never gets paid DLC though. They'd have to choose between:

A) DLC only gear, with buyers in the same lobbies as non-buyers. If they're good, they loose waaaaaayy too much goodwill for being pay-to-win. If they're not good, they're not worth buying.

B) Separate DLC rooms from base rooms, similar to MK8. Maps could now be included. However, this would segment the userbase, something they seem very keen on not doing looking at the rotation system they have in place. Speaking of said rotation systems, buyers of DLC maps wouldn't get to play on those maps whenever they want, which would be... troubling.

C) Cosmetics. Actually, they could do this one. And, again, they had this in the form of amiibo locked content before.

Resilient

The first game arguably already had this in the form of challenge levels locked behind amiibo.

MP definitely never gets paid DLC though. They'd have to choose between:

A) DLC only gear, with buyers in the same lobbies as non-buyers. If they're good, they loose waaaaaayy too much goodwill for being pay-to-win. If they're not good, they're not worth buying.

B) Separate DLC rooms from base rooms, similar to MK8. Maps could now be included. However, this would segment the userbase, something they seem very keen on not doing looking at the rotation system they have in place. Speaking of said rotation systems, buyers of DLC maps wouldn't get to play on those maps whenever they want, which would be... troubling.

C) Cosmetics. Actually, they could do this one. And, again, they had this in the form of amiibo locked content before.

that last one, i think they're dabbling into a little bit with the Splatoon 2 App, i think there is gear you can purchase from the App (using in-game currency) with different attributes. they said it would end up in the main game after that at some point, but didnt specify when. maybe thats as far as it goes.

do we know if there are challenge levels locked behind the new amiibo?

Kanhir

I don't get why modes are still rotating for this game? I mean come on you know millions will sell. Let people pick whichever ranked mode the want. It's not like they have 10 modes for people to choose from- it's only a few.

Because you need 8 players for a game. If you have more than 2 lobbies per mode (16 if we look at Splatoon 1's map count), then you're fracturing the online base to the point where you might not be able to fill even one lobby.

Top Bottom