• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this sneakier style of roller play. There was a lot of W+M1 roller going on in the testfire while people were getting used to the game, and not everyone could aim well, making the roller seem OP. All of the dev videos showing off the weapons are great, but they're making the wait for the game so painful too. 9 more days...

thefro

The other thing I've noticed with these dev videos is they utilize jumping to get a little extra range on grenade/bomb tosses.

DaBoss

I feel like the player's team put in most of the work, though the player did stop a lot of people from getting past into their side of the map. The standard Splat Roller has two things going for it, it covers ground really fast and can splatter foes really easily. Seems the player was using the latter part of it for this Turf War match.

I think this is the way to play the roller in Splat Zones though.
there was a lot of shotgun blasting
I got no clue what that means lol.
I am sure we are going to see a lot of playstyles plus there is always the ecolocator to stop campers.
Yea, I know there will be a lot of playstyles and shooters in general have that.

I wasn't saying that the campy playstyle is bad.

And the echolocator won't stop campers. Just cause you know where someone is doesn't mean you can stop them.

Jintor

testfire rollers often fail to utilise the roller splatter (the shotgun blasts) which can really up your kill game. If anything I thought this player wasn't using the OG roller enough lol, too focused on shotting and mining with the occasional WAIL

rollers are pyros lol.

Raitaro

Splatoon [OT] Sent from God, a skatepark, let us spray.

If we're already doing OT title suggestions, here's a couple:

Splatoon [OT] Splatoon's a game, Splatoon is here

or:

Splatoon [OT] You're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, ...

or simply:

Splatoon [OT] SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT!

(So yes, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm suggesting we should pick something from the US commercials since they've provided us with plenty of material already.)

DaBoss

It fits.

Nintendo uploaded a video about the upcoming Testfire and kinda covers the Splattershot Jr.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVPXH8kfYDs
testfire rollers often fail to utilise the roller splatter (the shotgun blasts) which can really up your kill game. If anything I thought this player wasn't using the OG roller enough lol, too focused on shotting and mining with the occasional WAIL

rollers are pyros lol.
Ahh, that's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure. I just call it a ranged attack. Yea, you're right, the Testfire rollers didn't really take advantage of that.
I like how he uses the splash, intentionally or not, to cut off their escape route and move in for the kill.
Yea, that was really nice. I think it was intentionally done with the idea of splattering them.

Jintor

one should not discount the psych impact of suddenly being in enemy ink where seconds ago you had a viable escape route

DrWong

If we're already doing OT title suggestions, here's a couple:

Splatoon [OT] Splatoon's a game, Splatoon is here

or:

Splatoon [OT] You're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, ...

or simply:

Splatoon [OT] SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT-SPLAT!

(So yes, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm suggesting we should pick something from the US commercials since they've provided us with plenty of material already.)

Splatoon [OT] No Voice Hate

NotLiquid

I already have an OT subtitle to go and it's going to be hard to convince me to change it. It doesn't have anything to do with voice chat.

Still, it's fun to read people's ideas. OT subtitles are always fun.

rollers are pyros lol.

Yeah, that was definitely what I was thinking! You can play it 'straight-forward' and that will likely get the weakest players but stealth is where its at for the roller. This combination of blocking paths, shotting and rolling is pretty great. And that movement!

Jintor

Splatoon [OT]-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-oon

zomg

Yeah, that was definitely what I was thinking! You can play it 'straight-forward' and that will likely get the weakest players but stealth is where its at for the roller. This combination of blocking paths, shotting and rolling is pretty great. And that movement!

Oh shit doesn't one of the rollers have an ink deflect mechanism? AIR BLASTS!

ROCKET INK TENNIS

Exile20

I feel like the player's team put in most of the work, though the player did stop a lot of people from getting past into their side of the map. The standard Splat Roller has two things going for it, it covers ground really fast and can splatter foes really easily. Seems the player was using the latter part of it for this Turf War match.

I think this is the way to play the roller in Splat Zones though.

Yea, I know there will be a lot of playstyles and shooters in general have that.

I wasn't saying that the campy playstyle is bad.

And the echolocator won't stop campers. Just cause you know where someone is doesn't mean you can stop them.

Ofcourse it will stop campers. With a splattershot, all you have to do is shoot them at a distance even if they are hiding and they have no choice but to try to escape then you finish them off. Even throw a bomb first.

zomg

Oh shit doesn't one of the rollers have an ink deflect mechanism? AIR BLASTS!

ROCKET INK TENNIS

Haha, that'd be amazing!
Also - not sure if I should post it here. Apparently some of the 'new maps' found were actually just really old builds, even if used in recent coverage videos - that means we only apparenlty know 4 besides the initial 9.

Raitaro

I still like Prepare to Dye

Me too, actually!

Splatoon |OT| Voice Chat at Level 21

Yep, nice one as well, though we might want to go with something like "Where these Inklings are going, they don't need voice chat" or something similar perhaps.

The "Unleash the Kraken" one someone mentioned earlier is also quite cool by the way.

Other areas I think we could go into, are some like these:

Splatoon [OT] I love the small of wet paint in the morning!

Splatoon [OT] Paint Wars Dulux

Splatoon [OT] Gaming's first BRS: Bob Ross Shooter (or BR: Bob Rosser; or Brmup: Bob Ross'em up)

Splatoon [OT] Support program for paint sniffers

Splatoon [OT] Putting the ink in Inkling!

Yeah...I'm not saying any of mine are good enough to use, but maybe there is some value in doing something with one of the following: Bob Ross, inking (i.e. tattoo's), paint sniffing, war in general (no pun intended), Dulux paint, paint ball, colors (vs colours?) or rainbows, the Pink Panther's Pink Phinx short (which I agree should be included in GIF form in the OT), graffiti / tagging, or simply squids (vs. octopuses). Wow, this game is so full of things we could use for reference now that I think about it!

Edit:
Splatoon [OT]-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-OT-oon

Yep, good one as well - and possibly our once in a lifetime chance to use such a title while it actually makes sense.

Splatoon [OT] NSFW Inklings with Schoolgirl Outfits

Yeah my tentative is shity but I wanted to post one... still Prepare to Dye is the best !

Jintor

I was actually looking for the Dark Souls "Prepare to Die" trailer which I remember, in my brain, as being a series of really fast shots of souls deaths intercut with PREPARE and TO and DIE but apparently that only existed in my head. I wanted to see if it was possible to make some kind of Splatoon parody of it...

NotLiquid

CFdMjsiWIAAs_5D.jpg:large

Another UK Store exclusive

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The logo on the back is decipherable as 'Squid'. Is that KingOfGames's own addition, or is that on the original?
Think it's part of the original. You can see on the game's version of the yellow shirt that it has a logo on the bottom back.

sfried

Splatoon [OT] All ink used in Splatoon is non-edible.
Splatoon [OT] Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Splatoon [OT] Comes in Squidy Green and Tentacle Grape

TheMoon

I thought we decided on an OT subtitle months ago when everyone was unanimously excited about "Squids in the Hall" ...?!?!

--

cross-post from spoiler thread (which doesn't actually have spoilers btw)

@jose_otero 57s57 seconds ago
You can read @IGN's Splatoon review on May 27 at 7AM PT.

to make the embargo thing official finally.

More updates. And more google translate

この建物の中にあるのが「バトルドージョー」だ。 Wii U GamePadとWii U PROコントローラーなどを使って二人で対戦するゲームモードだ。 オンライン対戦とは異なるルールだが、イカの性能を理解するには持ってこいだそうだ。

It's the "Battle Dorchester Joe" there in this building. It is a game mode to play by two people using such Wii U GamePad and the Wii U PRO controller. It's different rules and online play, but it's so I Bring To understand the squid of performance.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/600969211091890176

「バトルドージョー」は制限時間内に風船を割った数を競い合うルールらしい。 風船は対戦ステージの各所に時間を置いて出現する。 次の出現場所が表示されるので、それまでの駆け引きも重要となるそうだ。

"Battle Dawe Joe" seems to rule that compete the number obtained by dividing the balloon within the time limit. Balloons appear to put the time in various places of the competition stage. Since the next occurrence location is displayed, also it hears is important bargaining up to it.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/600969518958051328

風船は1つ割ると1ポイント。 相手に倒されるとポイントが大きく減ってしまうらしいので注意が必要だ。 逆に言えば、相手を倒せば逆転のチャンスとなる。 最後の1分間は風船1つ2ポイントになるので、最後まで諦めずに闘うことが重要だ。

Balloons dividing one and 1 point. Since seems Once defeated the opponent point resulting in decreased greatly we need to be careful. In other words, it is a chance of reversal if defeat your opponent. Since the last minute will balloon one 2 point, it is important to fight to not give up until the end.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/600969805970059265

ブキ担当の研究員による、ブキ立ち回り指南映像「スプラローラー」を公開している。 ”塗り”が目立つローラーだが、熟練者は”振り”を使いこなすようだ。 キューバンボムの使い方にもご注目いただきたい。 これも試射会で使えるブキだそうだ。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANF9TGvprE

By researcher of Bukit in charge, we have published a weapon fighting teaching video "spline roller." It is a roller that "painted" is noticeable, but a skilled person seems to master the "swing". Also I would like your attention to the use of Kyubanbomu. This is also I hear weapon that can be used in the test-fire meetings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANF9TGvprE

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/600997694207758336

MrPanic

Splatoon [OT] You've been Ink Rolled
Splatoon [OT] Blooper banned for racism
Splatoon [OT] They see me rollin'

I feel like a crack addict just thinking about that next testfire moment, what did you do to me ninty. Loved that roller footage btw, it's how I tried to play the roller during the last testfire moment, though with less success.

Splatoon |OT| Tonight we dine on Octopus soup.

●『Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)』&『ファイアーエムブレムif 白夜王国/暗夜王国』を大プッシュ!

2015年5月21日発売の週刊ファミ通は、インクを撃って、床を塗ったり敵を倒したりする新感覚のアクション・シューティング、『Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)』が表紙! 特徴の異なる“ヒト”と“イカ”の形態を切り換えて立ち回る本作の魅力や新情報を、15ページにわたって掲載しています。オンラインとオフラインで、異なる楽しみかたができる本作は、2015年5月28日発売予定。インプレッションや、高橋きの先生のイカ4コマなどもチェックしつつ、発売日を待ちましょう!

● "Splatoon (Splatoon)" & "Fire Emblem if midnight sun kingdom / dark night Kingdom" to a large push!

Weekly Famitsu of May 21 days Release 2015, to shoot ink, action shooting of new sense or defeat the enemy you can paint the floor, "Splatoon (Splatoon)" is the cover! Different "person" and this work of charm and new information that maneuver by switching the form of a "squid" of features, it has published over 15 pages. Online and offline, this film, which can be different fun types, will be released May 28, 2015. And impressions, while also checking such as squid four frames of Takahashi Kino teacher, let's wait for the release date!

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/21079040.html

http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-holding-splatoon-squid-fashion-contest/

This been posted anywhere? Famitus's holding a fashion contest for Splatoon, winning entry will actually be added to the game.

Was about to post the original source

●最優秀作品はアップデートでゲームに追加!

ファミ通と、Wii U 用ソフト『Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)』のコラボ企画が始動! さまざまなイカしたファッションが登場する本作に、読者が考えた衣装を入れてもらえる“ファミ通イカファッションコンテスト”の開催が決定した! 応募は簡単。アタマ、フク、クツをセットにしたイラストを描いて、郵送か応募フォームで送るだけ。応募作品の中から選ばれた最優秀作品(1作品)を、任天堂の開発チームが実際にゲーム内の衣装として作り、今後のアップデートで追加してくれるのだ。自分の考えた衣装が、ゲームに登場するチャンス! 下記の応募方法と、応募上の注意をよく読んで、ページ下のリンクから応募フォームへ進んで応募いただくか、応募の「あて先」まで郵送してください。皆さんの力作をお待ちしています!

なお、週刊ファミ通2015年6月4日号(2015年5月21日発売)では、『スプラトゥーン』がファミ通の表紙をジャック! さらに、発売直前特集として、本作の魅力や概要を15ページのボリュームで紹介。ナワバリバトルやヒーローモード、アップデート情報などを、新情報を交えつつ掲載していますので、こちらもチェックしてくださいね。

▲サンプルイラスト(画:高橋きの先生)。

上のサンプルイラストのように、アタマ、フク、クツの3種類のギアをセットにしてデザインを考えてください。表側だけの応募でも大丈夫ですが、裏側のデザインにこだわりがある場合は、ぜひ裏面も描いてください。なお、ゲームの仕様上、イラストの完全再現は難しい場合がありますので、原案を送るイメージで送ってくださいね。

●各パーツの説明

■アタマ
キャップやニット帽などのアタマに装備するもの。メガネや髪飾りといったアイテムもアタマ装備で、水泳キャップ&水中眼鏡などのセットも○!

■フク
Tシャツ&短パンやジャージ、ジャケットなど、体に装備するものです。ズボンやスカートとセットで描くのもオーケー。

■クツ
スニーカーやブーツなどの足に装備するもの。ハイソックスといった靴下を含めたデザインもアリ!

● Best Picture Add to game updates!

And Famitsu, a collaboration project of software for the Wii U "Splatoon (Splatoon)" start-up! in this work a variety of squid the fashion appeared, held get to put the costume readers thought "Famitsu squid Fashion Contest" has been determined! Application is simple. Head, clothes, draw an illustration that was to set the shoes, just send mail or application form. Best work was selected from among the entries (1 work), make as costume in the actually game development team of Nintendo, and he us added in future updates. chance that his thought was costume, appearing in the game! And methods of application below, and read the note on the application, and whether you apply the proceeds from the link at the bottom of the page to the application form, please send to the "destination" of applicants. We are looking forward to your masterpiece!

In addition, Jack in Weekly Famitsu June 4, No. 2015 (released May 21, 2015), "Splatoon" is the cover of Famitsu! In addition, as released just before feature, and introduce the charm and summary of this work in the 15 page volume. Nawabaribatoru and hero mode, and update information, so we posted while sprinkled with new information, here also but please check.

▲ sample illustrations (picture: Takahashi Kino teacher).

As in the sample illustration above, head, clothes, please consider the design in the set three types of shoes gear. Although it is only okay in the application of the front side, if there is a commitment to the backside of the design, please by all means also drawn back. Depending on the specifications of the game, because the full reproduction of the illustrations can be difficult, but please send the image to send the draft.

● description of each part

■ mind
It shall be equipped with the head of such as caps and knit hat. In even my head equipment items such as glasses or hair ornaments, also sets such as swimming cap and water glasses ○!

■ Fuku
T-shirts and shorts and jersey, jacket, etc., is what to equip the body. Even okay draw in pants and skirts and set.

■ shoes
It shall be equipped with the foot, such as sneakers and boots. Also design, including socks, such as knee-high socks Ali!

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/21078513.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom