• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: new info from Famitsu magazine (Hero Mode, multiplayer and more)

Mesoian

Yes, because I played the demo. May I be hyped for something that I enjoyed tremendously playing? (so much that I sit in line twice for it)

So much that you'll want to play it for longer than a week? I'm telling you right now man, a multiplayer game with a single mode gets OLD FAST, especially when each round can take between 5-10 minutes. I believe you when you said the demo was fun, it looked fun, that's why I was excited. But I was expecting them to build on the concept, to create other game modes or at least have the basic ass standards that every other shooter put out in the last 10 years has (CTF, King of the Hill, Domination). It's cool that the entire game focuses on tug of war, but you have to have more than that for this to be anything more than just a weekend rental.

I mean hell, I had a great time playing Hawken before it was available for "sale", but their lack of updates and their terrible loot loop made me stop wanting to play that game almost immediately.

I don't want Splatoon to be another Hawken.

And yes, I expected Splatoon to be an interesting new take on the multiplayer shooter that places emphasis on other things that strictly pvp situations. From what's come out of this interview, I don't think we're getting that anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
MK8 is an online game in which I play a single mode and I'm fine with it. Even here in The Neo there were 2 OT for that specific online mode. If it's good and competitive, it's ok.

But if you want more, I can understand. What I don't understand is why you were hyped then.

So the WiiU has a built in camera and mic which they don't use for their own games except MK8 and the superawesome (lol) WiiU Chat. Amazing stuff really. I am a huuuge Nintendo fan but this is simply stupid behaviour if true. No wonder non-Nintendo fans think Nintendo is childish. All these restrictions are off putting to new players. Some examples;

- Where are the Themes (the OS with the floating whatevers is so unattractive)
- No way to message my buddies except via Miiverse in a very user-unfriendly way. I cannot believe somebody approved this idea. Why can't I message my friends more easily. And what the hell is the use of the Friend List if only 1 game (SSB) supports joining a lobby from it.
It's baffling, really. The Wii U GamePad literally has a microphone and webcam built in, and not a single game utilizes it. How much do you want to bet that the developers wanted to include voice chat of some kind, but Iwata and/or Miyamoto came in and struck it down?

Broritos

So much that you'll want to play it for longer than a week? I'm telling you right now man, a multiplayer game with a single mode gets OLD FAST, especially when each round can take between 5-10 minutes. I believe you when you said the demo was fun, it looked fun, that's why I was excited. But I was expecting them to build on the concept, to create other game modes or at least have the basic ass standards that every other shooter put out in the last 10 years has (CTF, King of the Hill, Domination). It's cool that the entire game focuses on tug of war, but you have to have more than that for this to be anything more than just a weekend rental.

I mean hell, I had a great time playing Hawken before it was available for "sale", but their lack of updates and their terrible loot loop made me stop wanting to play that game almost immediately.

I don't want Splatoon to be another Hawken.

Counter-Strike and Battlefield have survived because it was specifically designed around one single mode.

jimi_dini

-Ideally, you'll be matched with players of a similar rank to you (based off of experience points earned in matches). If not enough players, they'll put you with people further away from your rank. If there's only 8 players, you'll be matched together.

Well, that's good news, but that's how it should be done everywhere.

Thank god that it won't be a piece of shit matchmaking like in for example the Uncharted games.

How often was I matched with a few newbies against a party of 5 highest-level players despite several of such parties being around at the same time. Matching those against each other would have stopped those parties, because then they wouldn't have been able to slaughter newbies anymore.

The Wii U GamePad literally has a microphone and webcam built in, and not a single game utilizes it.

What are you talking about? There are games that use both of them.

Right from the top of my head:
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: microphone
Splinter Cell Blacklist: microphone
Wii Fit U: camera
Nintendo Land: camera + microphone
Sing Party: camera + microphone
Just Dance games: microphone
I think AssCreed games support the microphone too
Resident Revelations: microphone
Watch_Dogs: possibly too, I guess so, I'm not sure though
Monster Hunter 3: microphone
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U: microphone

Mesoian

MK8 is an online game in which I play a single mode and I'm fine with it.

But if you want more, I can understand. What I don't understand is why you were hyped then.

MK8 is a weird outlier in that it's online mode is strangely more fleshed out than it's single player mode. There's a reason why people who are looking for a good single player offline game experience are often pointed towards Sonic and Sega All Star Racing over MK8.

And like I said, what was shown at e3 seemed like an impressive base for gameplay. I expected them to build upon that idea and continue to add interesting ideas to that base. It doesn't look like they're doing that. In fact, if we take this interview at face value, Splatoon may be the most featureless shooter put out in the last 3 generations.

test_account

XP-39C²
Didn't sound like an argument against at all, sounded like "Hey, this could happen!"
The only one confused is...
True, its not a direct arguement against it, but it can come of as an arguement trying to make it sound positive why voice chat isnt there. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros lets you chat with randoms and i didnt see any people being concerned about being paired up with non-english speakers then. Personally, i cant really see any real arguement for not having voice chats other than "its not a big deal for me".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
With one mode there better be a large variety of weapon and character customization (I'm aware they've already shown off both) and a gigantic selection of maps. Also, unless the single player is long it better not be 40 bucks.

Rather 2 speaking Japanese, 1 speaking French and another one speaking German. Maybe also a Spanish one mixed in.

I played Revelations a lot and most of the players were from Japan. Played lots of it with a Spanish dude too.

Wii U is non existant in UK, which means almost everyone from Europe won't speak English natively.
So you gently step outside of the bounds of this dialog circle and slowly start to elevate yourself to a point were you see the hole picture. Stop focusing on the micro and see the macro aspects of what's debated. Breath deeply for 10 seconds.

Now i ask... is it better to have no communication at all, is that the solution?

Do you understand that what the guy said with that multi language post just diverts from the discussion more than presents any meaningful to it, it is just another excuse, probably the most poor one so far, and you are taking it seriously?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
MK8 is a weird outlier in that it's online mode is strangely more fleshed out than it's single player mode. There's a reason why people who are looking for a good single player offline game experience are often pointed towards Sonic and Sega All Star Racing over MK8.

And this will have a fleshed out online mode (because you treat it as it is just one map or something) PLUS full SP mode and local MP mode. Being just one mode doesn't mean it will be less fleshed out. It's practically the same concept as MK with different courses and different equipment with different attributes.

Edit: plus they already mentioned that they intent to support it after launch.

phanphare

Banned
It's baffling, really. The Wii U GamePad literally has a microphone and webcam built in, and not a single game utilizes it. How much do you want to bet that the developers wanted to include voice chat of some kind, but Iwata and/or Miyamoto came in and struck it down?

you should have waited until later in the sentence to use the word "literally". you missed a perfect opportunity to make this post even funnier.

With one mode there better be a large variety of weapon and character customization (I'm aware they've already shown off both) and a gigantic selection of maps. Also, unless the single player is long it better not be 40 bucks.

"-Rather than making some huge number of stages, they want to create stages that feel different when you use different weapon combinations."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150625172&postcount=303

so on one hand you might not have a gigantic selection of maps but on the other there might be enough variety with the equipment to make up for that

Kusagari

Limited multiplayer options with absolutely no voice chat.

Should have known Nintendo would fuck up an online shooter.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Exactly, a worldwide chat wouldn't be wise with everyone speaking a different language. Although I'm hoping chat with friends is available I'm not going to bet on it

Somehow we had North America/EU chat for MH3U and managed to find a way to communicate.

Broritos

Except counterstrike and battlefield have more than one mode when you don't want to do yet another Conquest game.

They do now. For a long time, Conquest was the only mode and to this day it's still the most popular mode in Battlefield. Same goes for Counter-Strike with that one bomb mode that I forgot what it's called.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, that's good news, but that's how it should be done everywhere.

Thank god that it won't be a piece of shit matchmaking like in for example the Uncharted games.

How often was I matched with a few newbies against a party of 5 highest-level players despite several of such parties being around at the same time. Matching those against each other would have stopped those parties, because then they wouldn't have been able to slaughter newbies anymore.
Uncharted 3 also had matchmaking that took player levels into concideration. There are a total of 375 levels possible (or was, i dont know if they increased the level cap), and they tried to match within 75 levels above or below your rank. They added this shortly after the release. I dont know about Uncharted 2.

I also think its worth mentioning that most games uses a level system based on playtime, not on skills. I would guess that Splatoon also uses this level system. Naturally, a person who got a higher rank could have more experience with the game, but its not a given that a 50-rank player is a lot better than a 20-rank player, just to take one example.

Then there is also latency to concider. This is also an extremely important thing with matchmaking, perhaps the most important thing. The ideal thing is the concider both things (latency and player level). I actually think that this is what many games concider when doing matchmaking, but it narrows down the potential matches, so it might not always work as good in practice as it does in theory. We also dont know how much playing field there is regarding "similar ranks" in Splatoon, or if lacency is being concidered over player level (hopefully it is) when doing matchmaking. We'll see, hopefully it works out fine.

Mesoian

They do now. For a long time, Conquest was the only mode and to this day it's still the most popular mode in Battlefield. Same goes for Counter-Strike with that one bomb mode that I forgot what it's called.

Exactly. It's not 1998 anymore, games have changed and our expectations have changed with them. I'm not saying that the default mode in Splatoon won't be good, I'm sure it will be. I'm saying that it can't be all there is, just like CS:Go, just like Battlefield, just like COD, just like Quake, just like UT, just like...hell, basically every single predecessor in the genre.

jimi_dini

Now i ask... is it better to have no communication at all, is that the solution?

In which case?
Friends? Randoms?

and what do you mean with "no communication at all"?
Nintendo specified "no way to directly communicate with randoms". A type of communication like in Mario Kart 8 is also not directly communicating, but it's still communicating.

Do you understand that what the guy said with that multi language post just diverts from the discussion more than presents any meaningful to it, it is just another excuse, probably the most poor one so far, and you are taking it seriously?

The poster that you quoted, called you out on comparing NeoGAF - an English speaking private forum - to a console, that is sold worldwide.

Have you read the TOS of NeoGAF?

EviLore wrote:
Though NeoGAF is an international forum, discussion is to be held in English unless otherwise designated.

You understand the difference? If I started posting in French, German or Chinese from now on and wouldn't stop with that, I would probably get banned after some time. Which would be fine, simply because the TOS specifies that discussions should be held in English and I'm pretty sure that only a tiny minority on GAF is able to read French, German or especially Chinese/Japanese.

Games in Europe are normally supporting 5 languages at once, because not everyone in Europe is able or wants to speak English and there are even way more languages in Europe than those. Plenty possibly could, but it still wouldn't be their native language. And then there is also Japan.

So let's say you played with a German, Spanish, French and Japanese player and wanted to say "Hello", what would work better: selecting "Hello" from a menu and those other players seeing that in their selected languages - or voice chat, where you said "hello" and half of them wouldn't understand anything?

btw. this has nothing to do with a friends chat, but that's not the point in here simply because we don't know anything about it. I mean we can actually assume that they will handle it at least like in Mario Kart 8.

Mael

Like i said no excuses, it hasn't been confirmed. But how many Nintendo games has full voice chat during online play at least among friends?

How much should a segment of the user base proceed to defend NIntendo in this matter with the "it's for the kids" line. When the console comes with that videoapp? There's nothing that prevents Nintendo to potentially incorporate a parent control for voice chat in their games. Come on friends, enough is enough. People could play Virtua Fighter with voice chat in the 7th gen.

Yes. im comparing a forum with people from many places that are not native english speakers to a console where the gross of the sales come from english speaking countries. i don't see the BAbel tower anywhere around here. XD

HAving 2 guys speaking french among the other 6 would be hilarious, fun maybe? Like those stupid games Nintendo make, which purpose ishaving fun mainly.
If you want to learn swear words in languages you don't understand you might as well go to googletranslate.
What's even the point in communicating if you can't understand what the guy you're talking to says?

Mesoian

You understand the difference? If I started posting in French or German from now on and wouldn't stop with that, I would probably get banned after some time. Which would be fine, simply because the TOS specifies that discussions should be held in English and I'm pretty sure that only a tiny minority on GAF is able to read French, German or especially Japanese.

Games in Europe are normally supporting 5 languages at once, because not everyone in Europe is able or wants to speak English and there are even way more languages in Europe than those. Plenty possibly could, but it still wouldn't be their native language. And then there is also Japan.

So let's say you played with a German, Spanish, French and Japanese player and wanted to say "Hello", what would work better: selecting "Hello" from a menu and those other players seeing that in their selected languages - or voice chat, where you said "hello" and half of them wouldn't understand anything?

btw. this has nothing to do with a friends chat, but that's not the point in here simply because we don't know anything about it. I mean we can actually assume that they will handle it at least like in Mario Kart 8.

Oh my god.

We're totally getting emotes.

Bah...I thought we were past that.

Honestly, the only thing I'm really disappointed by in this is the lack of a 1v1 mode. I know they never said there WOULD be such a mode, but I thought the evidence GameExplain found in that trailer was pretty good.

Also, their reasoning doesn't make much sense. It gave players TOO much responsibility? That doesn't sound like such a big problem...

In which case?
Friends? Randoms?

and what do you mean with "no communication at all"?
Nintendo specified "no way to directly communicate with randoms". A type of communication like in Mario Kart 8 is also not directly communicating, but it's still communicating..
In which case? You wouldn't be asking that question if you have been reading my posts the last few pages.

Mesoian

Honestly, the only thing I'm really disappointed by in this is the lack of a 1v1 mode. I know they never said there WOULD be such a mode, but I thought the evidence GameExplain found in that trailer was pretty good.

Also, their reasoning doesn't make much sense. It gave players TOO much responsibility? That doesn't sound like such a big problem...

Well, Nintendo using stressful situations as the norm seems to be outside the company design doc. That's usually reserved for late game/special mode stuff, which is what Hero mode could be. Nintendo seems to try pretty diligently to keep their user base from "getting mad at video games" too early on, so I could see why they wanted to keep things loosey goosey for at least early levels.

Man, we need a Splatoon direct ASAP.

Hey, sorry if I derailed a conversation for the sake of whatever, but if there is no chat, and we need to be a dominate force on the battlefield, we need to stop bickering on whether chat is good, bad, or meh, and organize and work with what we have!
Machine gun! You're on point.
Brush! Support.
Roller! Hit the plains and for fuck's sake stay away from the narrow corridors!
Sniper! Tower defense baby!

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh my god.

Emotes is actually a cool thing, at least in my opinion. It worked fine in Soul Sacrifice/Delta, where the pre-defined sentences you selected would automatically be shown in the prefered language of the other players. The only problem is that it limits the vocabulary a lot, but at least Soul Sacrifice/Delta allowed for custom text chat as well.

Mesoian

Emotes is actually a cool thing, at least in my opinion. It worked fine in Soul Sacrifice/Delta, where the pre-defined sentences you selected would automatically be shown in the prefered language of the other players. The only problem is that it limits the vocabulary a lot, but at least Soul Sacrifice/Delta allowed for custom text chat as well.

I have never ever ever found emotes to be decent enough when it comes to on the fly strategy.

But hey, it's better than nothing. It worked in PSO, but PSO is a slower game.

Hey, sorry if I derailed a conversation for the sake of whatever, but if there is no chat, and we need to be a dominate force on the battlefield, we need to stop bickering on whether chat is good, bad, or meh, and organize and work with what we have!
Machine gun! You're on point.
Brush! Support.
Roller! Hit the plains and for fuck's sake stay away from the narrow corridors!
Sniper! Tower defense baby!

Yes. We need to get on teamspeak. Like we do with every other nintendo game.

Pikma

Banned
I think people need to understand what place this game is meant to have in Nintendo's portfolio. No matter how much people wanted to believe when first unveiled, Nintendo didn't greenlight Splatoon to compete with all the mature shooters currently in the market, nor to follow their trends. Splatoon is meant to be on par, in terms of experience offering, with their other two multiplayer series, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Whether you like what Nintendo multiplayer games offer or not, that's a different issue. But if you really expected this game to be built differently and to have different features from the titles I mentioned the shame's probably on you, I guess you really need to keep your expectations in check next time.

test_account

XP-39C²
I have never ever ever found emotes to be decent enough when it comes to on the fly strategy.

But hey, it's better than nothing. It worked in PSO, but PSO is a slower game.
Sure, i mostly ment to say that i think its a cool thing to have in addition. I dont think its necessarily a good thing to replace it with custom communication, either through text or voice chat. Custom chat makes it much more easy to say exactly what needs to be said, indeed.

Well, Nintendo using stressful situations as the norm seems to be outside the company design doc. That's usually reserved for late game/special mode stuff, which is what Hero mode could be. Nintendo seems to try pretty diligently to keep their user base from "getting mad at video games" too early on, so I could see why they wanted to keep things loosey goosey for at least early levels.

That's why 1v1 (or 2v2 or whatever else) would be a separate mode. They could even have it as an unlockable later in the game!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Hero Mode is just what they're calling Splatoon's single player, correct? It sound like the single player is largely meant to let players practice before having to face other people in online. Which means it will probably be easier/less stressful.

Broritos

Exactly. It's not 1998 anymore, games have changed and our expectations have changed with them. I'm not saying that the default mode in Splatoon won't be good, I'm sure it will be. I'm saying that it can't be all there is, just like CS:Go, just like Battlefield, just like COD, just like Quake, just like UT, just like...hell, basically every single predecessor in the genre.

My point is that having a multiplayer game specifically designed for one mode and one mode only is more than enough. All those games you've listed have one go to mode in them and they are the most popular in their respective game for that reason.

Yes, more modes is nice and all but quantity is not everything. Again, the most popular mode in Battlefield is still Conquest because it's the mode that the entire series is based around. Sure there are people that get tired of playing the same mode but there are a lot more that don't get tired of it otherwise games like Battlefield wouldn't be around anymore. Battlefield didn't survive because it added more modes. If that were true, the player base would be much more evenly spread out amongst each individual mode.

It's the same with Mario Kart. Mario Kart has the potential for more modes to be added and yet there aren't because everyone only cares about the default race mode because that's what the series is based on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

1 vs 1 mode was already confirmed in fact. Probably for local MP though.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/107419139549/this-just-in-one-of-our-senior-research

This just in! One of our senior research assistants just faxed over a fascinating new image. At first glance, this looks like a typical back alley, but word on the street is that it’s a favorite battleground for these crazy squids. Apparently it’s a popular place to hone one’s skills in one-on-one duels. If fact, it looks familiar for some reason…

tumblr_nhthcoUTkQ1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
several games utilize it actually, lets try this again, this time without the lying and assumptions

Say, have they described how points are distributed in the game. Is it flat team point win, or does it get pretty individual with which player Inkling covers the most turf?
Mario 3D World multiplayer is co-operational for sure to beat the level, but, man, that gets down right competitive...

Man, we need a Splatoon direct ASAP.

I wouldn't expect a Splatoon Direct until April or early May.

I do wonder if they game will be ready early enough to give the press a month or so to play around with each other online like they did with Mario Kart 8.

Say, have they described how points are distributed in the game. Is it flat team point win, or does it get pretty individual with which player Inkling covers the most turf?
Mario 3D World multiplayer is co-operational for sure to beat the level, but, man, that gets down right competitive...

From what I've seen it's proportional to how much turf you cover and possibly some hidden factors.

Mesoian

My point is that having a multiplayer game specifically designed for one mode and one mode only is more than enough. All those games you've listed have one go to mode in them and they are the most popular in their respective game for that reason.

Yes, more modes is nice and all but quantity is not everything. Again, the most popular mode in Battlefield is still Conquest because it's the mode that the entire series is based around. Sure there are people that get tired of playing the same mode but there are a lot more that don't get tired of it otherwise games like Battlefield wouldn't be around anymore. Battlefield didn't survive because it added more modes. If that were true, the player base would be much more evenly spread out amongst each individual mode.

It's the same with Mario Kart. Mario Kart has the potential for more modes to be added and yet there aren't because everyone only cares about the default race mode because that's what the series is based on.

You were not paying attention during the battle mode debates.

And again, SASRTS is a great argument for more over less, even if the less is known and mastered.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/108293069504/breaking-news-weve-now-learned-that-the-amount

Breaking news! We’ve now learned that the amount of in-game currency these crazy squids get from each match is tied to how much turf they cover with ink. So if you want the hottest fashions, you’d better get busy during battle!

tumblr_nial6xOPnn1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

And again, SASRTS is a great argument for more over less, even if the less is known and mastered.

And again this argument fails against the info that this game has also a fully fledged single player campaign.

Broritos

SASRTS isn't really a great argument considered how its dwarfed by Mario Kart in popularity, a game that has only two modes.

jimi_dini

Oh my god.

???
Last Story didn't use emotes.

But I'm sure you know a better way to make it possible for players to communicate without problems, when those players may speak a total of 6 or more different languages (except for employing simultaneous translators).

In which case? You wouldn't be asking that question if you have been reading my posts the last few pages.

You asked me right in that post. Your question was not accurate and the question itself didn't even make sense after quoting my post, where I said something about the way Mario Kart 8 and more important: Last Story handled it - which means you quoted my post without reading everything.

For communicating with randoms - the method used in Last Story is better in multiple ways. I never said anything about no communication at all and Nintendo didn't either. And I'm saying it again - friends chat is a completely different matter.

That's nice that they say that, but it never worked for me.
I gave up after a bit of time and played coop exclusively. then started competitive again and the game did the same ... again. Which means I have to call BS on this. Uncharted 2 + 3 pulled the same crap. And I bought Uncharted 3 months after release. I stopped playing Uncharted 2 because of this shit and later also stopped playing Uncharted 3 because of the same shit.

I was so often matched against parties of 5 (max level), it wasn't even funny anymore. And that's a common problem - just google it. There are so many people pissed off by this and Naughty Dog simply doesn't give a shit. I guess those parties buy lots of hats and crap.

btw.
geo-location and ping are HEAVILY weighted up front.

and there you have it. They prefer geo location and ping before anything else, where instead it should be level at first simply because newbies will get pissed off when getting slaughtered by parties of 5. And it seems even that didn't work right, because I was often matched against parties of 5 from 'murica, which definitely is not near my location. Great job, Naughty Dog, great fucking job.

And they definitely also don't look at parties themselves. Any sane person would have looked at parties of 3, 4 or 5 people and matched those parties against similar parties. But nope, better match them against single newbies. And if they have to match them against single players, why not match them against slightly higher level single players because you can automatically assume that such a high level party has quite a bit experience.

What's really funny is that I was taken away from properly matched games within 2 or 3 matches, but in case of those parties of 5, nope, wasn't taken away, but was stuck instead.

Mesoian

???
Last Story didn't use emotes.

But I'm sure you know a better way to make it possible for players to communicate without problems, when those players may speak a total of 6 or more different languages (except for employing simultaneous translators).

Yeah. VOICE CHAT!

Mesoian

No voice chat is a bummer.. but everything else is good. Only scrub a dubs would want bots in a competitive online multiplayer game.

I think it's more the case of what happens when the game struggles to get 8 players. Throw in bots and go immediately or...wait? You should have the option to do either.

Berg

Playing asscreed 4 multiplayer 1/2 of the people speak a diff language than english. Lots of spanish and french

Top Bottom