• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

A few more

TheGadgetShow - 5/5 (10/10) http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gaming/splatoon-review
PocketLint - 5/5 (10/10) http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...ink-redible-multiplayer-for-just-a-few-squids

TechnologyTell - 5/5 (10/10) http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/147703/splatoon-review-stuck-on-squids/

TIME - 5/5 (10/10) http://time.com/3896082/splatoon-review/

AlwaysNintendo - 9/10 http://alwaysnintendo.com/splatoon-review-wii-u/

CGMagazine - 9/10 http://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/splatoon-wii-u-review/

Gamenesia - 9/10 http://www.gamnesia.com/reviews/splatoon-is-one-of-the-most-fun-games-in-years-review#.VWXVtM-qpBc

GameSided - 9/10 http://gamesided.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review-totally-fresh/

NintendoFeed - 9/10 http://www.nintendofeed.com/2015/05/review-splatoon-wii-u.html

NintendoInsider - 9/10 http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review/

PasteMagazine - 9/10 http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/05/-the-very-first-image.html

PureNintendo - 9/10 http://purenintendo.com/2015/05/27/pn-video-review-splatoon/

Ship2Block20 - 9/10 http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/review-splatoon/

GamingTrend - 90/100 (9/10) http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/splatoon-review/

AttackoftheFanboy - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/splatoon-review/

BGR - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://bgr.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review/

TheEscapist - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...on-Review-Wii-U-s-Kid-Family-Friendly-Shooter

RenoGazetteJournal - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2015/05/27/splatoon-review-wii-u-technobubble/27999421/

Let the hype begin...

giphy.gif

Box

It very much can be used in a subjective manner.

"It's impossible for me to hit that apple" can mean "It's very hard for me to hit that apple". Go check any number of dictionary websites.

It really makes no sense in the context of a review to use the word impossible if you aren't suggesting that it will be impossible for the people reading. Even when the word is interpreted to mean 'almost impossible', there's a certain universality implied. You don't say it's impossible to do something if many other people are able to do it.

I'm not even sure what this was referring to anymore though.

Neff

I didn't mean it was as good but in structure and you can tell the Nintendo made both games.

The blasting off from place to place
The bosses

It does take a lot from SMG, it has to be said. It's Nintendo design through and through.

I'd really love some more of the solo mode, honestly.

vid

Reading the Wired review and stumble across this line:

Chris Kohler said:
Teams are always randomized. Even if you’re playing with Wii U friends (this requires seven of the people on your Wii U friends list to be online and playing Splatoon, so I’m not sure how often that’s going to randomly transpire for you)

Am I correct in understanding that friends simply cannot play in a game together unless you have a full party? The Direct made it clear that teams would be shuffled so we couldn't always play on the same side, but is it just impossible to have three friends enter a game populated with five other random players?

Papacheeks

Banned
Since you're quoting one review...
Latest IGN-NVC

Gamexplain review

Two videos that show people who played the SP campaign being really positive about it. One even compares it to Galaxy.

Never said it wasn't good. Even Venture beat's review compares it's single player design to Mario games. In term of quality we've come to expect. But the previous poster was saying as good as Super Mario Galaxy, and from the reviews I'v read that's not the case. They have the quality of designed levels with a boss battle at the end like Mario ames, but to say it is in teh same league as 3D WORLD or Galaxy is pure hyperbole opinion territory.

Jarmel

Banned
It really makes no sense in the context of a review to use the word impossible if you aren't suggesting that it will be impossible for the people reading. Even when the word is interpreted to mean 'almost impossible', there's a certain universality implied. You don't say it's impossible to do something if many other people are able to do it.

It's clear that he means it's hard as fuck if not straight out impossible for most people. A very large percentage of people are going to do better with analog controls due to prior experience. Just because a number of people can do use motion controls just as effectively, certainly doesn't mean everybody or even most people can do it.

NotLiquid

Am I correct in understanding that friends simply cannot play in a game together unless you have a full party? The Direct made it clear that teams would be shuffled so we couldn't always play on the same side, but is it just impossible to have three friends enter a game populated with five other random players?

In regular battles teams are always randomized no matter who jumps in but once the August matchmaking update hits you can team up your friends against a team of other friends.

You can join others from the friend list, as shwon in some streams

mollipen

What? Are you kidding?

This a fully fleshed out single player akin to Mario Galaxy.

Which reviews said it was take it or leave it?

Like Arcade mode streetfighter? I think you have no clue as to what the singleplayer is.

I'm the reviewer who said that. I thought the single player was okay, but really just that. No way would I put it on the level of a Mario Galaxy or anything. I finished the mode because I had to for my review, not because I was particularly having fun with it.

If other people love it? Awesome! I didn't. And I was making the point that it's totally fine to buy this game only for the multiplayer and never touch the solo mode.

Vena

Why would this be impossible? Its possible.

It's clear that he means it's hard as fuck if not straight out impossible for most people.

This is an even sillier interpretation. Did he personally check with tons of other gamers to see how they handled the motion-controls? If not, then he shouldn't be speaking for them

I was expecting low 80s to be the metacritic average and looks like that's what we got. Basically the mentality of "We need to assign a basic score and then deduce penalties from it for perceived failings" rather than look at the big picture. Attitudes like "Splatoon is fun, but we can't give it a great score 'cause it only has 5 maps and a couple modes - what do you think this is, DOTA?"

I usually hate competitive multiplayer games. I'm also not generally a fan of FPS & TPS games. I've tried with different games like Garden Warfare & Titanfall and I see why people like them, but they're just not for me. Even with the rare instances of finding a multiplayer game I like, the toxic community (LoL) or lack of experience (Shadowrun - I first played it years after release when everybody was already experts) inevitably drives me off.

The 90 minutes I spent with Splatoon in the Global Testfire was some of the most fun I've had with a video game in years.

Splatoon is the only competitive online multiplayer game I've played where losing is still loads of fun.

I love how you can still be helpful to your team even with a mediocre K/D ratio. I love how you can coordinate with your team just by paying attention to the gamepad, without needing to talk at all (thus avoiding toxic players & gaining the ability to play with players who don't speak your language). I love how matches are super short, thus minimizing a host of issues. I love how much fun it is just to move & shoot through this world.

Yes, Splatoon might have a few peripheral issues (which will hopefully be addressed in patches & updates), but the core is so good. The last games I was this impressed with their design include Monaco, Dark Souls, and Pac-Man: Championship Edition.

vid

In regular battles teams are always randomized no matter who jumps in but once the August matchmaking update hits you can team up your friends against a team of other friends.

Yeah, I understand that much, but the phrasing there leads me to believe that you can't get into the same game at all, not just on the same team. We're more than happy being shuffled around every match.

You can join others from the friend list, as shwon in some streams

Okay, cool. I was just misunderstanding the text then, I guess.

Wavebossa

I gave the game 8.2* on IGN Italia

The good:
• Fresh and unique take on the TPS genre
• Excellent and deep gameplay
• Tight controls
• Cool maps
• Stellar art direction
• Great soundtrack
• Solid netcode
• Surprisingly entertaining single player campaign
• Interesting free DLC plan

The bad:
• Lack of content at launch (only 5 maps, 2 online game modes)
• Dojo mode stuck at 30 fps (the difference from the 60 fps of the other modes is pretty significant)
• Surreal and archaic online structure: no voice chat, no private matches at launch, impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats

Overall, i really really loved it and i honestly would have given it a much higher score (like 9+) if the online wasn't so inexcusably stuck in 2005.

If you guys have questions, feel free to ask! :D

*Please note that the score will be updated in the upcoming months with the release of the free new content that Nintendo announced a few weeks ago.

man... i'm surprised it got an 8.2 with all of that missing.

I guess what they did right, they REALLY did right... but... this game doesn't sound finished at all.

I'm happy for Nintendo and it's fans. This is pretty much uncharted territory for the company and it seems with them going the creative/different route instead of the overdone military dudebro path, they've found some success. Rock on.

The reviews of the gameplay itself sound great, but playing the Testfires already told me that. I'm disappointed in what I hear about hte online implementation though. I guess I shouldn't have expected more, but still. The IGN Italia and Destructoid reviews hit my concerns. I think I'll hold until August and see how the update is.

Meaty

There is very very little factual information in most reviews. A fact would be "The game runs at 720p" or "The game uses X form of AA". In short something like a Digital Foundry article. Most reviews are comprised of personal opinions based on a reviewer's experience and background knowledge.

Why dont you do this exercise: Start reading any review and slowly analize every single phrase to see which ones are fact and which are not.

Sometimes things that might look like an opinion to you are actually facts,

Look at this snippet from IGN's TLOU review:

"...Joel is, he isn’t the only character of consequence in The Last of Us. Indeed, calling him the main character is true only to an extent, because it’s his companion, a young girl named Ellie, who truly steals the show..."

It absolutely looks like an opinion right? But you have to see it in the context that the writers/developers actually did the whole game for the sake of ellie "stealing the show".
It cannot be considered just an opinion when everything said there is 100% correct. It turns into a fact.

test_account

XP-39C²
Let me give you an example:

Reviewer A says "I've had a hard time passing through any part of the last of us without alerting enemies"

Reviewer B says: "Its impossible to pass through any part of the game without alerting enemies, stealth doesnt works".

When people read Reviewer B statement its painfully obvious he is saying that as a fact.

People like to argue that reviews are 100% opinion. They are not. How much a person liked the game? Sure thats an opinion. But every review has to give factual information about the game they are talking about.
I wouldnt say that its obvious. I dont think i've read many reviews who basically ads "in my opinion" to every sentence. Most, or at least many, sentences are presented as statements. Knowing that it is a review, i would take it as an opinion for the most part. In the sentences you mention, its hard to know if the reviewer is talking about the game simply being difficult or if the game is "broken" though (broken as in having really bad A.I and such), so the reviewer in that case should at least elaborate on that to make it clear, because that could make a big difference, indeed.

Jarmel

Banned
Why dont you do this exercise: Start reading any review and slowly analize every single phrase to see which ones are fact and which are not.

Sometimes things that might look like an opinion to you are actually facts,

Look at this snippet from IGN's TLOU review:

"...Joel is, he isn’t the only character of consequence in The Last of Us. Indeed, calling him the main character is true only to an extent, because it’s his companion, a young girl named Ellie, who truly steals the show..."

It absolutely looks like an opinion right? But you have to see it in the context that the writers/developers actually did the whole game for the sake of ellie "stealing the show".
It cannot be considered just an opinion when everything said there is 100% correct. It turns into a fact.

Your example is not a fact. That's still an opinion.

Wavebossa

The reviews of the gameplay itself sound great, but playing the Testfires already told me that. I'm disappointed in what I hear about hte online implementation though. I guess I shouldn't have expected more, but still. The IGN Italia and Destructoid reviews hit my concerns. I think I'll hold until August and see how the update is.

That's how i'm feeling now. I mean, I honestly doubt I'm going to play this game offline ever. So the online mode is a huge concern for me.

Even with smash brothers and mario kart, the only time I play offline is to unlock stuff. Bring online to 2015. I don't NEED voicechat, but, everything else? yeah... Nintendo, I need it... we need it.

Meaty

Your example is not a fact. That's still an opinion.

Would me saying "I think my microwaves heats thing up" an opinion?

I'll try to put it in simpler terms to see if you can understand it:

-----> When something is one hundred percent correct it is a fact. <----

I wouldnt say that its obvious. I dont think i've read many reviews who basically ads "in my opinion" to every sentence. Most, or at least many, sentences are presented as statements. Knowing that it is a review, i would take it as an opinion. In the sentences you mention, its hard to know if the reviewer is talking about the game simply being difficult or if the game is "broken" though (broken as in having really bad A.I and such), so the reviewer in that case should at least elaborate on that to make it clear, because that could make a big difference, indeed.

Thats because different people have different reading comprehension and see different things in the same context. But the phrase itself is stating it as a fact. (even if its not) I mean, its absolutely not wrong to assume it was just a difficulty the reviewer was facing. But IMO reviewers should try to be more objective to avoid confusion.

When they want to say "a multiplayer mode is not working" I want to assume its not working, I dont want to assume he didnt manage to play it because hes bad.

Chaos17

impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats
Come on, you can't change heoreos in Mobas between matches without going back to the lobby.
There're also no challenges or achivements in HOTS even in solo play.
Stop being so nip ticking, dude.

Just admit you had some fun.

Mdk7

Great and honest review, well done mate

Thanks Dash! :d

man... i'm surprised it got an 8.2 with all of that missing.

I guess what they did right, they REALLY did right... but... this game doesn't sound finished at all.
Yeah, the game is just a blast to play, i had so much fun during my 40 hours with it (and i actually can't wait for the game to come out, as i bought the LE and i will be playing it from scratch in 3 days).

As for the fact that it's not finished, the content at launch might be lacking in quantity, but what's there is stellar.
And even the 5 maps limit (which of course is still a limit, mind that!) is not so terribly bad when you actually get to play, as every match is genuine fun.

Box

It's clear that he means it's hard as fuck if not straight out impossible for most people. A very large percentage of people are going to do better with analog controls due to prior experience. Just because a number of people can do use motion controls just as effectively, certainly doesn't mean everybody or even most people can do it.

But isn't that exactly what's wrong about the statement? "A very large percentage" suggests a substantial amount of people. It's silly to say something like "This is impossible, 30% of people can't even do it."

I mean if we're assuming that most people actually can use motion controls, which seems to be part of the premise of the original objection, then saying it's impossible would be wrong.

Timeaisis

I was expecting low 80s to be the metacritic average and looks like that's what we got. Basically the mentality of "We need to assign a basic score and then deduce penalties from it for perceived failings" rather than look at the big picture. Attitudes like "Splatoon is fun, but we can't give it a great score 'cause it only has 5 maps and a couple modes - what do you think this is, DOTA?

I usually hate competitive multiplayer games. I'm also not generally a fan of FPS & TPS games. I've tried with different games like Garden Warfare & Titanfall and I see why people like them, but they're just not for me. Even with the rare instances of finding a multiplayer game I like, the toxic community (LoL) or lack of experience (Shadowrun - I first played it years after release when everybody was already experts) inevitably drives me off.

The 90 minutes I spent with Splatoon in the Global Testfire was some of the most fun I've had with a video game in years.

Splatoon is the only competitive online multiplayer game I've played where losing is still loads of fun.

I love how you can still be helpful to your team even with a mediocre K/D ratio. I love how you can coordinate with your team just by paying attention to the gamepad, without needing to talk at all (thus avoiding toxic players & gaining the ability to play with players who don't speak your language). I love how matches are super short, thus minimizing a host of issues. I love how much fun it is just to move & shoot through this world.

Yes, Splatoon might have a few peripheral issues, but the core is so good. The last games I was this impressed with their design include Monaco, Dark Souls, and Pac-Man: Championship Edition.

Everytime you post I find myself agreeing with you, Robert. Haha. I agree with the big picture comment. I don't really care much about reviews, but I do think assigning a score to a game should be a holistic process and not a procedural one. Games like Splatoon suffer here, even though they have some incredibly creative and fun core design.

But then again, all I really needed to hear is "Splatoon is mad fun". I knew the moment it was shown at E3 that it was something special, and I had a moment where I thought about how freaking brilliant the design of the game is.

Funny you bring up Monaco, because I felt basically exactly the same way with that game. It had some nagging issues, sure, but the core gameplay was so creative and fun and well designed, it was incredible.

Jarmel

Banned
Would me saying "I think my microwaves heats thing up" an opinion?

I'll try to put it in simpler terms to see if you can understand it:

-----> When something is one hundred percent correct it is a fact. <----

Your microwave does heat things up. That is a fact because a third party can verify that using any number of scientific methods. You have to be able to verify it.

However stating that "Ellie steals the show" is an opinion because there is no way to scientifically verify that.

Wavebossa

Yeah, the game is just a blast to play, i had so much fun during my 40 hours with it (and i actually can't wait for the game to come out, as i bought the LE and i will be playing it from scratch in 3 days).

As for the fact that it's not finished, the content at launch might be lacking in quantity, but what's there is stellar.
And even the 5 maps limit (which of course is still a limit, mind that!) is not so terribly bad when you actually get to play, as every match is genuine fun.

hmm okay, I can live with that. Core gameplay matters more anyway as you say. If I compare it to other Nintendo offerings, if it came down to sacrificing maps vs gameplay in Smash or Mario Kart, I would sacrifice maps anyday.

I guess I"ll get used to the controls. When I played in the hour long demo nothing felt natural but that's to be expected.

How long did it take you to get used to the Gyro+analog setup? Or did you opt for the dual analog?

Exile20

Sounds good.

vicearseV

Splatoon: the game which makes your basic assumptions collapse: first it questioned our own identity with the kid/squid ad, now it makes us rethink the concept of truth and reality.

Einbroch

Banned
I think I've been overly harsh on this game because I've been viewing it through a long-lasting, CoD/League/Dota lens. It won't have legs, the lack of content hurts, etc. This game doesn't have to be that, and that's something I think I have to learn.

You can play it for 20 hours and put it down, and that's fine. If you had fun in those 20 hours, that's all that matters.

Experien

I was expecting 6s and 7s due to the lack of content. This is quite a surprise.

Lack of content is only bad if the core gameplay is off. Having 30 maps is great to hear if you have just hohum gameplay. Pllus i hear the maps offer a good variety.

Plus more free content through the summer.

Meaty

Your microwave does heat things up. That is a fact because a third party can verify that using any number of scientific methods. You have to be able to verify it.

However stating that "Ellie steals the show" is an opinion because there is no way to scientifically verify that.

Stealing the show means "Being the center of attention".

The last of us spoilers:

Ellie becomes the protagonist and you play as her during the best part (IMO) of the game. When you are playing as her she becomes the center of attention. Thats not opinion based, thats factual.

In other words, in Winter she does factually and absolutelly steal the show.

Even if the player stops playing as her afterwards, for a part of the game, she became the center of attention, hence she "stole the show". Theres no argument to be made here. When your playing character changes from one to another, the latter becomes the center of attention.

Dont get me wrong, it is an opinion, but one that can be proven right..

test_account

XP-39C²
Gamereactor.fi: 8/10

http://www.gamereactor.fi/arviot/263014/Splatoon

I dont know finnish, so someone could do a more proper translation, but Google says:

+ Colourful and cheerful , freezing fun gameplay, succeeded in maps and game modes , enough variation

- Too much content coming later , Web bouts the rivals lounge waiting

Thats because different people have different reading comprehension and see different things in the same context. But the phrase itself is stating it as a fact. (even if its not) I mean, its absolutely not wrong to assume it was just a difficulty the reviewer was facing. But IMO reviewers should try to be more objective to avoid confusion.

When they want to say "a multiplayer mode is not working" I want to assume its not working, I dont want to assume he didnt manage to play it because hes bad.
Yeah, i agree that a review should be written in the best way to avoid any confusion of some sort, although i dont think it should be necessary to add "in my opinion" to a lot of sentences. But i mostly just wanted to mention that a lot of reviews are being written with sentences that could be taken as statements because they dont have "i think/feel" or "in my opinion" attached to them, and i dont think that its obvious that the reviewers mean to pass them off as objective statements/facts, or that the majority of people would take it as an absolute fact.

A few more

TheGadgetShow - 5/5 (10/10) http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gaming/splatoon-review
PocketLint - 5/5 (10/10) http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/1...ink-redible-multiplayer-for-just-a-few-squids

TechnologyTell - 5/5 (10/10) http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/147703/splatoon-review-stuck-on-squids/

TIME - 5/5 (10/10) http://time.com/3896082/splatoon-review/

AlwaysNintendo - 9/10 http://alwaysnintendo.com/splatoon-review-wii-u/

CGMagazine - 9/10 http://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/splatoon-wii-u-review/

Gamenesia - 9/10 http://www.gamnesia.com/reviews/splatoon-is-one-of-the-most-fun-games-in-years-review#.VWXVtM-qpBc

GameSided - 9/10 http://gamesided.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review-totally-fresh/

NintendoFeed - 9/10 http://www.nintendofeed.com/2015/05/review-splatoon-wii-u.html

NintendoInsider - 9/10 http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review/

PasteMagazine - 9/10 http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/05/-the-very-first-image.html

PureNintendo - 9/10 http://purenintendo.com/2015/05/27/pn-video-review-splatoon/

Ship2Block20 - 9/10 http://s2b20blog.mukyou.com/review-splatoon/

GamingTrend - 90/100 (9/10) http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/splatoon-review/

AttackoftheFanboy - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/splatoon-review/

BGR - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://bgr.com/2015/05/27/splatoon-review/

TheEscapist - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...on-Review-Wii-U-s-Kid-Family-Friendly-Shooter

RenoGazetteJournal - 4.5/5 (9/10) http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2015/05/27/splatoon-review-wii-u-technobubble/27999421/
lol no way
who paid them off?

Jarmel

Banned
But isn't that exactly what's wrong about the statement? "A very large percentage" suggests a substantial amount of people. It's silly to say something like "This is impossible, 30% of people can't even do it."

I mean if we're assuming that most people actually can use motion controls, which seems to be part of the premise of the original objection, then saying it's impossible would be wrong.

Well the original premise isn't so much that people can use motion controls but being able to use them effectively, in order to do a 'quick response'.

It's entirely plausible that most people wouldn't meet his standards of a 'quick response' even when using an analog device.

Top Bottom