• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

jariw

I see what your saying, but all of that can also be considered as "finishing the game"

It may just be semantics, but I dont even think Smash 4 is a finished game yet, at least not until tournament mode comes out.

You're absolutely right. Iwata talked about that at the October 2014 investor meeting (the approach to expand the time the player spend with the game by introducing new content).
The DLC1+DLC2 of MK8 was one approach, the Smash updates is another approach, the Splatoon release is yet another. I wouldn't be surprised if there is DLC arriving even to Mario Party 10 somewhere in the future.

Meaty

If you're not gonna talk about the game the thread is about, why are you here? You obviously care about The Last of Us and that's great, but it's totally irrelevant.

Yeah, I get it you dont like that im not talking about splatoon, but was it really necessary to call it Insane Bullshit?

Whatever.

This is a review thread, Im using the last of us to talk about objectivity in reviewing games for one reason:

I cant use splatoon because I did not play it yet.
I would be real retarded trying to argue X reviewer was not objective with what he said about splatoon if I didnt play the game yet.

Sorry if I went overboard or too much off topic. I personally think the discussion about objectivity versus opinions on reviews is important (On review threads that is)

Wont talk about that anymore if it bothers you guys.

On topic:

Im very satisfied with the scores, I just hope Nintendo keeps betting on this franchise even if this game flops. The developers are really amazing (I heard its the same team that did Nintendoland? I love that one). Im not going to buy it right now, I'll wait for the party system and I expect some of theses scores to raise even further with the updates Ninty has planned

Jarmel

Banned
I love Jim's review hahaha.
You’re a squid now, you’re a kid now, you’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid,

muteant

nintendo must have REALLY wanted this game out prior to school letting out b/c it's clearly incomplete, which is a concept that goes against their instincts.

beril

Seems like the one big thing that probably is "unfinished" is private lobbies, and even that's probably less unfinished in the sense of it being an intended feature not ready in time and more unfinished in the sense that they probably only just started on it after realizing how much demand there was for it.

That could possibly also be withheld to make sure that people are out in the public lobbies for now, though that may be a bit extreme

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I will ask this, I guess from these reviews, it will be very much worth it to buy the Splatoon Wii U bundle from Best Buy?

sure, but I mean, buy some other games, too.

I think Target is offering half off Smash Bros., Mario Kart or Captain Toad when you buy a Wii U right now, so that's a nice deal.

Gurthang

Banned
The game will be much better in a few months with added maps and modes. The future is bright for this series. Good job nintendo

Azure J

"antediluvian"

Holy shit, this word is so cool looking. :lol

That said, the reviews are in line with what I was internally thinking for its reception; great "fresh" factor in game play, world design and visuals with strong staying power potential, but missing one or two mandatory ticks for the genre it slots itself into and the content rollout is divisive/pegs the game as somewhat "incomplete" in some folks eyes.

MisterR

That could possibly also be withheld to make sure that people are out in the public lobbies for now, though that may be a bit extreme

You're stretching it a bit now. Some of the maps may be made, the big update obviously wasn't ready.

NotLiquid

All of the 10s and a lot of the 9s are missing, and all of the 7s/6s are already up, and a lot of the 8s as well. So the average will go up further unless someone posts a 5.

Most of the reviews released so far that are on the MC's critic listing are there I believe. Only IGN and Gamespot are missing and I don't see them being much more than 8 judging by their in-progress reviews.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It sold out in stores? Wha?

They seem to just close preorders a day or two before releases. Mine didn't have preorders available online or in store a couple days before the N3DS launched, but they had 6 or 7 on the shelf to grab when I stopped in around noon on launch day.

No guarantees, but worth showing up in the morning as I'd be surprised if most locations sold out via preorders since Wii U demand isn't exactly through the roof. The Amiibos will be harder find than the console bundle probably.

NotLiquid

I will say I was surprised to find Time giving the game a 5/5. That's something that will be seen by more than just gaming enthusiasts. It goes perfectly hand in hand with their aggressive marketing campaign - the general consumer might just notice that and be interested.

Vena

Most of the reviews released so far that are on the MC's critic listing are there I believe. Only IGN and Gamespot are missing and I don't see them being much more than 8 judging by their in-progress reviews.

They report TIME and Gadget, which are both 10s. :p Heck, I've seen Tell reported as well, and that was also a 10.

But I was looking more at the 9s than the 10s. :p

Oh crap, no offline 4 player? Thats a crying shame that would've been the reason I would've bought it. I thought Nintendo was the last first party bastion of local multiplayer.

nintendo must have REALLY wanted this game out prior to school letting out b/c it's clearly incomplete, which is a concept that goes against their instincts.

Eh... The singleplayer portion alone, which seems to last 5-10 hours alone based on various reviews, is more than many full AAA game releases the last couple of gens. There may be a small amount of multiplayer game modes and maps, but at least Nintendo's version of releasing an "unfinished" game is one where what's there is perfectly functional and playable. Unlike the buggy messes that, for example, Ubisoft and Bethesda release.

Top Bottom