• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

Manoko

[...]

• Surreal and archaic online structure: no voice chat, no private matches at launch, impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats

Overall, i really really loved it and i honestly would have given it a much higher score (like 9+) if the online wasn't so inexcusably stuck in 2005.

I agree, this seems to be Splatoon (and Nintendo in general) biggest mistake.
I sure hope Nintendo change their policy about online soon, it's so frustrating that a company that makes perfect multiplayer games is so behind in online infrastructure.

*sigh* "lack of content at launch" isn't something I'm used to associating with Nintendo but hey I mean everyone's been telling them to get with the times, so.

Kriken

I'm not expecting a lot of scores until this weekend. Will still be interesting to read impressions of the SP campaign

Servbot24

Banned
Rightfully so, but they might not re-update their review, even after the new modes are added
And we don't even know how long it's gonna take for the modes to unlock

What are you asking for? They can't very well write "Well the game doesn't have much to do but who knows maybe someday it will?? 10/10".

If they want to re-review it later that's their choice, but Nintendo should have released a complete product at launch if they wanted complete reviews at launch.

Ars Technica

The Good:

Squid-swimming and paint-laying mechanics pump new blood—er, paint—into the online-shooter genre
Pleasant solo campaign with cool squid-maneuvering challenges
Memorable art direction that explodes in color and great animations—with a catchy, quirky soundtrack to match
Quick matchmaking, zero disconnects in pre-release testing (warning: this could fall apart upon retail launch)

The Bad:

Nintendo chose to launch the game without enough online modes and maps
Unsatisfying differentiation between weapons; lack of precision and long-range power
Two-player mode lives and dies by the game's issues with imprecise shooting
Inability to change loadouts, matchmake with friends, or communicate with teammates kills all hopes for real-team strategy

The Ugly:

Motion controls make quick responses impossible during combat and, thankfully, can be disabled entirely
Amiibo toys unlock some of the laziest "challenge" modes we've ever seen in a solo quest

Verdict: Buy it... whenever Nintendo finishes it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ine-shooter-splatoon-is-a-hot-painted-mess/2/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
LOL at Jimquisition closing sentence: "I’ve played it. I’m still buying it. Can’t think of a stronger recommendation than that. You’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid."

AHAHHA :D

mclem

Eurogamer has early impressions - they've taken to delaying reviews until they get a chance to look at the game for a bit longer, so no full appraisal yet. They seem a bit tepid about it.

Looks like Nintendo asked to give a pending score if needed? I mean, it's the first time I'm seeing so many, it's strange to not be seeing a 6/10 "not enough water".

IGN whines about that it needs more content even though more content is already slated to be added in the coming months
Edit: I know they aren't reviewing what's not in the game yet, but they score they give it now is the score people are going to remember, not the score they might ive it after the new modes are added

Well what exactly do you want them to review exactly?! You should be blaming Nintendo for releasing an unfinished game.

thefro

From the streams I've watched from reviewers, a good number of them are at pretty low levels and haven't even unlocked Splat Zones yet. I think the IGN guys were only at Level 10.

I think there's new weapons that unlock all the way to Level 20.

It makes sense for them to hold off on giving a score until after launch. Plus they probably have to spend a lot of time waiting for games on the review servers.

Looks like Nintendo asked to give a pending score if needed? I mean, it's the first time I'm seeing so many, it's strange to not be seeing a 6/10 "not enough water".

Splatoon is a heavily online-focused title. After Driveclub and The Master Chief Collection, this is the new policy for most review outlets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm pretty sure a lot of sites will write a follow-up in mid August for this game, btw. Not a "new score", but at least an article on the new modes/contents. Many reviews seem to love the game, with reticency on the lack of modes, keeping in mind that we already know the contents will come monthly

Impossiburu

Neo Member
My review on TechnoBuffalo.

Splatoon is a buy if you want to support Nintendo’s new shooter straight away and you don’t think you’ll get too bored with the content. Personally, I’d be snapping this up right away even in light of the lack of maps and modes at launch. If you think you will be bored with what’s initially offered, wait. Don’t wait for a price drop, because that likely won’t come anytime soon. Instead, wait until August or September when Nintendo’s had multiple massive content updates to get this. You’ll be swimming in ink covered goodness by then.

Buy/Wait.

Jarmel

Banned
Reviews seem very fair. Game seems to be very content light so it's getting docked for that but they're also noting that the core gameplay is pretty fun.

Meia

I gave the game 8.2 on IGN Italia

The good:
• Fresh and unique take on the TPS genre
• Excellent and deep gameplay
• Tight controls
• Cool maps
• Stellar art direction
• Great soundtrack
• Solid netcode
• Surprisingly entertaining single player campaign
• Interesting free DLC plan

The bad:
• Lack of content at launch (only 5 maps, 2 online game modes)
• Dojo mode stuck at 30 fps (the difference from the 60 fps of the other modes is pretty significant)
• Surreal and archaic online structure: no voice chat, no private matches at launch, impossibility to change weapons and gear between matches without going back to the lobby, no custom loadouts, no challanges/ in game achievements/stats

Overall, i really really loved it and i honestly would have given it a much higher score (like 9+) if the online wasn't so inexcusably stuck in 2005.

If you guys have questions, feel free to ask! :D

Holy hell if that's all that bad with it, as that's all stuff that's easily fixed with time. Do wonder if they would have just been better off delaying it for a few months, as a post E3 kind of thing.

My own review on I Love Videogames (Italian site)

+ Original and incredibly fun
+ Great multiplayer with solid netcode
+ Excellent visual style and catchy music
+ Free dlc and updates is a good move from Nintendo

- Not so many contents at launch
- Singleplayer is solid, but lacks the exuberance of the multiplayer
- Weapons aren't perfectly balanced
- Despite the reasoning behind it, the absence of vocal chat is a bad move
- Locking mission mode behind the purchase of amiibo is questionable as well

8/10

I'm pretty sure a lot of sites will write a follow-up in mid August for this game, btw. Not a "new score", but at least an article on the new modes/contents. Many reviews seem to love the game, with reticency on the lack of modes, keeping in mind that we already know the contents will come monthly

That's exactly what we are planning to do

Cindro

Woo! So many Splatoon threads on the front page.

Looking forward to spending the next couple hours reading all of the reviews to fuel my hype into maximum overdrive!

If anything, it looks like Nintendo has laid the foundation for a great IP. Splatoon is SSB64 and Splatoon 2 will probably be Melee.

oti

Banned
I'm curious exactly what they mean by this, because I'd feel that using non-motion controls would make quick responses harder, but there might be a context I'm not considering.

It means they suck at the motion controls and you can happily ignore that point.

phanphare

Banned
I'm curious exactly what they mean by this, because I'd feel that using non-motion controls would make quick responses harder, but there might be a context I'm not considering.

they probably just didn't like them, that statement doesn't make any logical sense

TheJoRu

Note that IGN is not doing a review in progress because of the content updates coming up, but because they haven't been able to play on public servers yet.

Because the main mode of Splatoon is online multiplayer, we’re reserving our final judgement until we’re able to play on Nintendo’s live public servers. Our score will be posted within 48 hours of the official on-sale date, which is this Friday, May 29.

They take a bit to get used too...but from my experience, they feel way more accurate than using just the stick to aim.

Kazerei

Banned
Nintendo World Report (review in progress)

Pros
Deep, engaging online multiplayer
Dripping with tubular style
Inventive and fun single-player adventure

Cons
Limited local multiplayer experience
Splat Zones requires better communication; is otherwise frustrating

Note that IGN is not doing a review in progress because of the content updates coming up, but because they haven't been able to play on public servers yet.
I think that's actually a really smart move, as it allows them to get every little thing they can squeeze out of the game at launch(server troubles and all) to put in the review

NotLiquid

Looks like the general consensus so far seems to be "great game held a bit back by scarce launch content". Fair assessment all around and seems to be a good sign, it means Splatoon can only get better.

Nintendo's Garage initiative was a good thing. Not bad for a new IP.

Top Bottom