• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

Mdk7

Holy hell if that's all that bad with it, as that's all stuff that's easily fixed with time. Do wonder if they would have just been better off delaying it for a few months, as a post E3 kind of thing.

Yes, to me those are the real (and only) drawbacks, i truly love(d) the game.
And yes, most of that is stuff that could be fixed or patched, but i frankly feel that Nintendo is just obsolete in its outdated way of managing an online infrastructure.

Geg

They take a bit to get used too...but from my experience, they feel way more accurate than using just the stick to aim.

They're actually weirdly addicting too. I was playing The Last of Us this weekend and at one point found myself trying to move the controller to aim D:

Solid reviews so far

Papacheeks

Banned

Splatoon is a buy if you want to support Nintendo’s new shooter straight away and you don’t think you’ll get too bored with the content. Personally, I’d be snapping this up right away even in light of the lack of maps and modes at launch. If you think you will be bored with what’s initially offered, wait. Don’t wait for a price drop, because that likely won’t come anytime soon. Instead, wait until August or September when Nintendo’s had multiple massive content updates to get this. You’ll be swimming in ink covered goodness by then.

Buy/Wait.

So buy a game and don't play it for a month or two?

Wow, the Nintendo defense force is in full effect for this game. Other people in this thread saying reviewers shouldn't review for what the game has at face value is disingenuous to the other games that got ragged on for lack of content more than likely by the same people.

If the game lacks content and features found in modern online games, then it needs to be addressed for the whole public not just for neogaf's Nintendo approval. Other people outside of Neogaf who have Wii U's will be interested in this game.

It lacking in content especially with how the DLC has been as of late with Amiibo's is really a kick in the balls.

Hope this game does have a price drop soon, for making people wait for the rest of the game isn't cool.

cheesekao

Solid scores overall. I expect good things to come out from Nintendo at this point and hope Splatoon isn't a one off thing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the more scores coming, the higher they seem, compared to what I was expecting: also the reviews unerlyining the lack of modes/chats are gifting it with solid scores.

NotLiquid

No one said this.

Lack of additional content doesn't absolve Splatoon from being a generally great game at it's core. They literally said that depending on your palette you can overlook the content drip because of how good/fun it is. The content will be there, it's just a matter of when you'd rather want to jump in.

"Nintendo defense force" jesus.

Hip Hop

Holy shit there's only 5 maps for $60? That's really, really bad.

I know they ate adding more content later, but that's no excuse for an online "only" type of game.

Grakl

Wow, the Nintendo defense force is in full effect for this game. Other people in this thread saying reviewers shouldn't review for what the game has at face value is disingenuous to the other games that got ragged on for lack of content more than likely by the same people.

If the game lacks content and features found in modern online games, then it needs to be addressed for the whole public not just for neogaf's Nintendo approval. Other people outside of Neogaf who have Wii U's will be interested in this game.

It lacking in content especially with how the DLC has been as of late with Amiibo's is really a kick in the balls.

Hope this game does have a price drop soon, for making people wait for the rest of the game isn't cool.

No, reviewers are saying "Buy the game now because the current content is good, but there's not much of it. Wait if you want more content." You're a bit on tilt there.

KooopaKid

Banned
Great scores. Looking more and more like a new classic multiplayer game is born.
Mario Kart for racing.
SSBB for fighting.
Splatoon for competitive "TPS".

I get the impression that Nintendo's choice to roll out the content over time is more about building the community for each mode than those modes being unfinished. When something like COD launches, everyone rushes towards TDM and only a few people try other modes. If Nintendo introduces modes week by week, then it encourages the community to try each mode as it hits.

That said, reviewers should absolutely be reviewing what's in the package right now, at day one.

Holy shit there's only 5 maps for $60? That's really, really bad.

I know they ate adding more content later, but that's no excuse for an online "only" type of game.

They're adding a new map around every week. They're adding new modes and other stuff in the next couple of months. They didn't do it to starve the players of content. They just want a steady stream of content and want people to get familiar with each map.

You're acting like people play more than two different maps in fps and tps.

Papacheeks

Banned
No, it means buy it now if you want to play it now or wait if you don't think the current content is enough to justify a purchase.

Yea you just reiterated what I said dude. So if there isn't enough content, buy it anyway? Because from the sounds of it, sounds like it's lacking single player content, online features, and want's you to wait fro Amiibo based DLC.

So basically if you want to play some now and some later, buy it now right?

Makes no sense.

Timeaisis

Multiplayer games are so hard to score, especially at launch. But this is scoring higher than I expected.

I'd have bought it either way.

Gamexplain has a great review as usual.

Sounds like most people love it apart from some shortcomings in the way online works. Hope those get ironed out by Nintendo soon enough.

Impossiburu

Neo Member

I'm simply offering that content is light. If that bugs you, wait. If you like the sound of the game and are okay with the fact that you'll start to get bored after 20 hours of play, dive in. Nintendo has said that they'll be releasing new maps every few weeks.

That's enough for me. Might not be for you or others, but at least you know up front.

Boney

Banned
As a consumer, I don't understand why would anyone want it to be delayed and release as a "finished product". The staggered release allows for people to play it right now and keep adding content to keep things fresh while also having the possibility of just waiting it out if you're so inclined.

Would a delayed release maximize sales in the long run? Who knows, Nintendo probably doesn't, and was aiming for the May release to take advantage of the Summer.

Exile20

5 maps? da fuq

How is it possible to bypass every splatoon thread so far not to mention the direct and other youtube vids?

Yet somehow see this thread and be surprised by the 5 maps AT LAUNCH with maps coming evey 1 or 2 weeks after launch?

Wow man.

Yea you just reiterated what I said dude. So if there isn't enough content, buy it anyway? Because from the sounds of it, sounds like it's lacking single player content, online features, and want's you to wait fro Amiibo based DLC.

No, you literally said "So buy a game and don't play it for a month or two?" Those are two very different statements.

They're saying buy it if you're satisified with the current content, wait to buy if you're not.

And the upcoming multiplayer DLC is free.

Geg

Nintendo defense force in full effect = one guy complaining about IGN

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Game is fun, my kids can't wait to play more, and I'm in.

Despite all of that it should have been $50 vs $60.

cheesekao

I'm simply offering that content is light. If that bugs you, wait. If you like the sound of the game and are okay with the fact that you'll start to get bored after 20 hours of play, dive in. Nintendo has said that they'll be releasing new maps every few weeks.

That's enough for me. Might not be for you or others, but at least you know up front.
Within weeks? That smells like Nintendo is purposefully holding maps back unless those maps are copy pasted with existing assets.

phanphare

Banned
As a consumer, I don't understand why would anyone want it to be delayed and release as a "finished product". The staggered release allows for people to play it right now and keep adding content to keep things fresh while also having the possibility of just waiting it out if you're so inclined.

Would a delayed release maximize sales in the long run? Who knows, Nintendo probably doesn't, and was aiming for the May release to take advantage of the Summer.

pretty obvious the content rollout is intentional, not because the game wasn't finished. well the maps, anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that what's being added in August was because of fan feedback.

atr0cious

I'm loving the reviews that couldn't even be bothered to try to learn motion controls, so they lie and say it sucks. What's up with no one wanting to try new things? Oh well, more victims for my paintbrush.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I caved

Was able to get the game with the amiibo for 45€ at Amazon.de right now. All those scores just screamed "buy it" ~_~".. And I liked the version I could play during the server test

I'm loving the reviews that couldn't even be bothered to try to learn motion controls, so they lie and say it sucks. What's up with no one wanting to try new things? Oh well, more victims for my paintbrush.
Don't be so mean >.> I also can't get used to it. Get bad vertigo and want to vomit all over the place..

Jintor

So basically if you want to play some now and some later, buy it now right?

Makes no sense.

buy now if you're already sold on the concept

wait if you're not sold on the concept

'play some now and some later' makes no sense pfft. if i buy it later, i can't play it now.

NotLiquid

wait, is this true???? new maps every week?
i thought the update wasn't until august?

The August update is currently for matchmaking updates.

The actual stuff like modes, maps and gear is going to be released every other week or so as a regular free update schedule. It's part of a summer initiative. No matter when you jump in this particular season there will be new stuff incoming.

Servbot24

Banned

I don't think anyone really minds. Most people are perfectly content to wait and buy it when it's done.

the only review I need to read

"The most successful players are those who know when to be a squid now, and when to be a kid now. You’re a squid now, you’re a kid now, you’re a squid, you’re a kid.

You’re a squid, you’re a kid, you’re a squid, you’re a kid."
Jim is great

Papacheeks

Banned
No, reviewers are saying "Buy the game now because the current content is good, but there's not much of it. Wait if you want more content." You're a bit on tilt there.

Yea, sorry, you either get 60$ game that's worth it or you don't. Titanfall, Evolve, The order, not worth full price, and more worth it if you wait for a price drop.

Game should be reviewed at face value not what is to come a month or two down the line.

It's totally not fair to have a double standard on these type of situations and on Consoles especially Nintendo thread's there seems to be.

Top Bottom