• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

Joqu

Thanks.

So: Remove Tree, slightly widen funnel of chokepoint to mid, widen side corridors, and add... something right in the middle of the underpass, either a bridge or pillars or something.

Was there something wrong with the tree I've been missing out on? Those others sound like pretty decent changes

J@hranimo

Banned
Alright cool we finally got the date.
They're changing one of my favorite maps...*sigh* I feel like one of the only people that enjoy that map the way it is.

If we take the red ink as accurate and not just decorative (and the fact that it's symmetrical suggests that it might well be accurate), it looks like they're:

Removing the tree from the starting plaza
Widening and extending the corridor to the balcony
Adding something - bridges, maybe, where the section is that I sometimes jump over in squid form? - around the middle channel.
Slightly widening the main entrance to the central area

The screenshot suggests that there's a wall somewhere that they're raising, too, to prevent people jumping over it (or to allow cover?), but I'm not sure where it is. Perhaps the one immediately in front of the spawn zone?

I think the screenshot on the side is the base choke point leading to the center area. If it is then, the map is getting a huge redesign and the hallways on the side are becoming raised platforms that are much more exposed to fire from the center.

Jintor

Was there something wrong with the tree I've been missing out on? Those others sound like pretty decent changes

if it's being removed, it was probably slowing people down/blocking fire in tower control where that balcony is actually really important

/edit actually the screenshot has a ink punching bag or whatever in there, so i guess it'll toss a few in there as well?

Joqu

PETA got involved and said its bad to ink up trees, so please remove it...

Im kidding, I guess its just pointless there

I've watched a lot of players waste a lot of ink on that tree.

That does sound like something PETA would say. :p

Second explanation makes sense even though I've never really noticed that. I still think it'd be a weird change but I'm not really complaining

edit: tower control does make more sense but they already change maps for that mode anyway. Poor tree

woopWOOP

Maybe we'll get a little Direct or something similar to showcase the new stuff. Curious how the minigun differs from the other midrange weapons.

Wonder how they'll handle setting up private rooms. There's no AI and the game can't start until there's 8 players, so I expect lots of waiting times and player requests in the OT the moment one player quits :p
Hopefully you can select any map and equipment after every match atleast.

KingBroly

Banned
Part of me is going to be sad when the Map is changed because the older version will cease to exist.

I've never heard of a Shooter changing how a Map is laid out after its' release. I can't imagine this being the first game to do so, though.

I hope that you can earn Gold in Private Matches at least.

That does sound like something PETA would say. :p

Second explanation makes sense even though I've never really noticed that. I still think it'd be a weird change but I'm not really complaining

edit: tower control does make more sense but they already change maps for that mode anyway. Poor tree

Tower Control seems to be the best explanation :)

ryechu

Alright cool we finally got the date.
They're changing one of my favorite maps...*sigh* I feel like one of the only people that enjoy that map the way it is.

Splatzones on that map was particularly awful. The choke has two blind spots since it had two corners. One of those corners coverd both the balcony exit and main choke. The 3rd entrance that was a simple dropoff didn't have LOS on any of the other entrances blindspots until you dropped down.

The update staggers the walls adjascent to the choke so you only have to deal with one corner blind at a time. And the left side blind spot is no long direclty underneath the balcony drop off either. I wonder what the blobs in the middle are.

ryechu

Maybe we'll get a little Direct or something similar to showcase the new stuff. Curious how the minigun differs from the other midrange weapons.

Wonder how they'll handle setting up private rooms. There's no AI and the game can't start until there's 8 players, so I expect lots of waiting times and player requests in the OT the moment one player quits :p

The minigun is a charger. I'm pretty sure it has signifantly longer range than the other high spread weapons as well.

Taker666

A Direct in early August would make sense with both Gamescom and this Splatoon update happening at the same time...but with Iwata passing things like that could be put on hold for a while. Hard to say.

Jackano

Very good news!

Usually with Nintendo, an August update would mean on the 31th, eventually delayed to September 15th.

I'm looking forward to it. Only thing, I like this tree in Urchin Pass :(

J@hranimo

Banned
Splatzones on that map was particularly awful. The choke has two blind spots since it had two corners. One of those corners coverd both the balcony exit and main choke. The 3rd entrance that was a simple dropoff didn't have LOS on any of the other entrances blindspots until you dropped down.

The update staggers the walls adjascent to the choke so you only have to deal with one corner blind at a time. And the left side blind spot is no long direclty underneath the balcony drop off either. I wonder what the blobs in the middle are.

I'm aware of the chokepoints and how unforgiving they can be, bit even then I enjoy the map a lot. I've had plenty of great matches on there in Splat Zones and it is one of the best for Tower Control as well, but if the majority really wanted these changes then so be it.

Also I'm guessing the blobs in the middle are those cushion things like on the right hand side of Blackbelly that can be used for cover.

killercow

The new update introduces Squad Battle and Private Battle matchmaking options. In Squad Battle, players can participate in Ranked Battle rule sets with friends, rather than being teamed up with other players through a random selection. After a player creates a squad, friends can be recruited to form a team of two to four Inklings. Friends will always play together on the same team and battle against other squads at random.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...tml?utm_medium=Nintendo+UK&utm_source=twitter

JordanKZ

Despite its size and scope, this massive August update is not the end of the splat-tacular free content coming to Splatoon. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. More details on these additions will be revealed in the future.

I was most surprised by this. I guess the games doing pretty well, that or Nintendo are just going to drip feed out the rest of the game to us for the rest of the year.

Razmos

more new gear hmmm
I hope they actually have nice, normal looking gear with good stats rather than giving all the best abilities to shit like gas masks and bicycle helmets.

I wasn't expecting entirely new weapon types, that's really cool.

JoeM86

Screenshots
Hoa3qkU.jpg
HzqtQOP.jpg
9NIUw4y.jpg
blfVcpE.jpg
sLfM7r1.jpg
2Ho8697.jpg

Source: http://gonintendo.com/stories/239238-splatoon-august-update-screenshots

NEO0MJ

I was most surprised by this. I guess the games doing pretty well, that or Nintendo are just going to drip feed out the rest of the game to us for the rest of the year.

At least when it comes to maps I don't think there any left on disc.

Razmos

That's the whole point of sea snails.
No it isn't. Sea Snails just add another slot or re-roll the existing sub-abilities. It doesn't change the MAIN abilities.

There are some really nice looking gear items which I will never use because they have terrible main abilities. and some have terrible brands too which make terrible sub-abilities appear more often.

ryechu

No it isn't. Sea Snails just add another slot or re-roll the existing sub-abilities. It doesn't change the MAIN abilities.

There are some really nice looking gear items which I will never use because they have terrible main abilities. and some have terrible brands too which make terrible sub-abilities appear more often.

very few abilities are terrible.

So... two stage rotation still...

Maybe that'll change when they add new maps later this fall.

Or at least I sure hope so. It's really the only thing about this game that's starting to bug me.

Oh yeah, I also really hope we get at least one more non-ranked mode at some point in the future.

Jims

Haha, they're tweaking Urchin Underpass.

...Once again, I see Nintendo got our letters.

Squad Battles look like it'll be really fun. Can have a Splatfest-esque team composition without actually having to deal with the issues of Splatfest.

ryechu

Maybe that'll change when they add new maps later this fall.

Or at least I sure hope so. It's really the only thing about this game that's starting to bug me.

the fall? I'm pretty sure map and weapon updates will continue at the pace they have been, after the august patch settles in for a week or two.

Thanks.

So: Remove Tree, slightly widen funnel of chokepoint to mid, widen side corridors, and add... something right in the middle of the underpass, either a bridge or pillars or something.

I hope they keep the trees, I really like them. I'm guessing what you describe as a bridge or pillars is a change to the jumps. Bridges isn't a bad suggestion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looking forward to the new outfits.

As for the trees, the only reason for their removal I can think of is that people were often confused if they counted as splatable area when seen from above.

MouldyK

We can choose whatever map we want! =O

... or it could just be whatever is in the rotation at the time. =(

In Private Battle, friends can splat it up in private, customisable matches. Two to eight friends can battle together by selecting their favourite map, mode and weapons. The number of participants ranges from 1v1 to 4v4, but teams don’t have to be even: if the host chooses, he or she can select a 1v4, 1v2, or any other combination of players.

Squad Battles will probably be the Rotation Maps though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like what it supposed to happen to Urchin Underpass. I only wonder what will be there in the middle, two bridges or two pillars.

Also, this update is like the perfect update for the game. With the level cap raised to 50, the Squad Battle and Private Battle and the bucket (Slosher), this is like getting Splatoon 2 already. Fast and great, I like the kind of updates Splatoon is getting.

MouldyK

I like what it supposed to happen to Urchin Underpass. I only wonder what will be there in the middle, two bridges or two pillars.

Also, this update is like the perfect update for the game. With the level cap raised to 50, the Squad Battle and Private Battle and the bucket (Slosher), this is like getting Splatoon 2 already. Fast and great, I like the kind of updates Splatoon is getting.

What about the Splatling?!

Top Bottom