• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

ryechu

I like what it supposed to happen to Urchin Underpass. I only wonder what will be there in the middle, two bridges or two pillars.

Also, this update is like the perfect update for the game. With the level cap raised to 50, the Squad Battle and Private Battle and the bucket (Slosher), this is like getting Splatoon 2 already. Fast and great, I like the kind of updates Splatoon is getting.

Its not Splatoon 2 until non superficial playable Octoling classes.

Geg

I wonder if points won before the update retroactively count toward your experience, I'm probably already level 50 if that's the case lol

Nice to see this coming so soon, can't wait to play some splat zones and tower control with gaf.

That was teased by the Splatoon Japanese twitter account, wasn't it?
All they did was post an image of her without goggles, what that's teasing if anything is just wild speculation

xandaca

I like the Underpass trees too, would/will be a shame to see them go. They're a nice bit of set decoration. Excited for the rest of the update though, will be interesting to see if there are any new abilities to go with the new gear: not much point if they're just reskinning the old ones, really, I've more or less settled on my selection from the existing lot.

Dystify

Honestly, Urchin Underpass in Splat zones was one of my favorite maps. I disliked it in turf wars though, when I had to play it during Splatfest. Why do people dislike the map / what's so bad about it?

Jakoo

I'm really interested in the Ranked Squad Matches. I wonder if the game will remember the permutations of the team and assign a rank to that? I like the idea of me and my two friends playing together having a separate rank then me playing in random ranked matches.

Over 40 new pieces of gear including leather jacket and sushi-chef costume.

Where is my Squid Girl costume! I know it was supposed to be in this August update. Don't tell me it's Japanese-only!

Looks like a new type of music is coming!

Famitsu said:
“By the way, a punk rock band Squid Squad is currently popular in the world of squids, but perhaps the trend will shift a bit in the future, and a different band may appear. Please look forward to it.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-devs-on-inkling-girl-design-focus-squid-sisters-and-more/

Love the music but wish there was more. Especially the last minute theme.

ryechu

Honestly, Urchin Underpass in Splat zones was one of my favorite maps. I disliked it in turf wars though, when I had to play it during Splatfest. Why do people dislike the map / what's so bad about it?

If you dont know, I dont think you have much to worry about. They are keeping the identiy of the map pretty much intact.

The problem was the 3 choke points were really easy to hold once you got control of the mid. For example after a teamwipe there was no coming back agianst a skilled, balanced team.

Geg

A competent charger can cover the choke points into the center area pretty well. If a team has two of them, which happens often in gaf rooms because chargers are popular weapons for whatever reason, they can pretty much lock out the whole opposing team

Tsunamo

Fingers crossed one of those costumes is Squid Girl and it's not Japan-only.
All this new content will get me back into playing it more often with my friends that are still playing regularly.

Dystify

A competent charger can cover the choke points into the center area pretty well. If a team has two of them, which happens often in gaf rooms because chargers are popular weapons for whatever reason, they can pretty much lock out the whole opposing team

Oh well, that did happen quite often. I didn't really think bad about it though, as it was a challenge for me to try to overcome such situations. I guess for some people it can be frustrating as it can be fairly hard at times to counter that strategy...

Hoa3qkUl.jpg

I wonder how popular tri squads will be. You may have to wait a bit. Still nice they included the option.

No 2 on 2 obviously as that's too spread out.

thefro

I was worried that you wouldn't be able to set teams with Private 4v4, but you can actually do that?

Competitive prospects have upped significantly. All we need now is LAN support.

LAN and some sort of spectator or replay mode so that people can broadcast matches with commentary.

Hatchtag

Banned
I was worried that you wouldn't be able to set teams with Private 4v4, but you can actually do that?

Competitive prospects have upped significantly. All we need now is LAN support.

LAN support + Loadout Transferring (save to usb or Amiibo) + voice chat (at least in the mode where your team is always only people you have added as friends, zero reason to not have it there) are all requirements to have competitive Splatoon ever even possibly become a thing before a sequel.

I also really want to have Turf Wars in ranked at some point. It's a fun mode but the lack of a ranked option for it kinda kills my interest in playing it.

Ansatz

Level 50 sounds scary, I mean if the exp curve continues on the 1-20 trajectory.

But August update looks good. Not sure how I feel about the Urchin changes, I liked having a map that's hard/impossible to retake.

Out of everything I'm probably most excited about the level cap increase. It always felt I was wasting effort while at max level.

I hope they have weapons for every level up to 50. I like the feeling of working towards something. Also excited for the new gear and leveling everything up.

If they are able to have one on one online matches I hope they extend that to offline as well. I mean it should be easier to implement as now you don't need those balloons to spawn.

Finally I'm really bummed out at the two map rotation apparently still in play. I really feel four maps I needed much less two. I mean with a two map rotation only 12 maps will show up for four hours each over 24 hours. That's just crazy.

I wonder if Splatoon ' s popularity has caused the update schedule to change. In the original Direct it was noted free content was only through August. I will wonder if they'll add more free maps on top of the 14?

Personally 16 regular maps in one playlist with a four map rotation and 12 paid DLC maps in another playlist with a four/three map rotation would be ideal.

Then there's still that Octoling tease. A horde mode would be neat. Maybe paid DLC.

Neoxon

So not only was the Turf Wars level cap raised to 50, but Ranked's level cap was also raised to S+.

Oh god help me.

NotLiquid

LAN support + Loadout Transferring (save to usb or Amiibo) + voice chat (at least in the mode where your team is always only people you have added as friends, zero reason to not have it there) are all requirements to have competitive Splatoon ever even possibly become a thing before a sequel.

I also really want to have Turf Wars in ranked at some point. It's a fun mode but the lack of a ranked option for it kinda kills my interest in playing it.

I imagine that in the current situation, local scenes would just get passed the second step by having people use their own Wii Us, which would on one hand be fairly cumbersome setup-wise but also solve the issue of Splatoon linking tags to Miis since there's no Smash-esque name tag function. The aforementioned spectator mode seems like it'd be the second most crucial feature.

Still many ways to go regardless, of course.

Effect

The level increase to 50 is pretty big though welcome! I've been slacking lately when it comes to Splatoon but this will certainly renew my interest once this hits.

Neoxon

I feel like they'd relegate load-out saves to Amiibos, more so since the Splatoon Amiibos have an unused save function. Then again, the Inklings in Smash is a matter of when than if, so there's also that possible issue in terms of what uses the Amiibo's save slot, but at that point, we'd have a Smash variant of the Inkling Amiibo (& the Super Mario Amiibos already have that issue, even though most of the Super Mario line also have Smash Bros. counterparts).

Hatchtag

Banned
I imagine that in the current situation, local scenes would just get passed the second step by having people use their own Wii Us, which would on one hand be fairly cumbersome setup-wise but also solve the issue of Splatoon linking tags to Miis since there's no Smash-esque name tag function. The aforementioned spectator mode seems like it'd be the second most crucial feature.

Still many ways to go regardless, of course.

I don't think local set-ups would really develop with such a requirement in place. Would just be too difficult to actually get going.

Wii U doesn't support two gamepads

Are two GamePads needed? There are no teammates to spawn to. The mode restricts gear so missiles and beacons can be omitted.

The one thing missing would be a map to see what areas are painted but even without one it would be fun to see who could paint the most anyway. Maybe have a map show up if you press start.

Tuck

Maybe that'll change when they add new maps later this fall.

Or at least I sure hope so. It's really the only thing about this game that's starting to bug me.
Agreed. It's garbage and easily one of the worst thing about the game. It should have been fixed weeks ago, not months from now.

phanphare

Banned
Are two GamePads needed? There are no teammates to spawn to. The mode restricts gear so missiles and beacons can be omitted.

The one thing missing would be a map to see what areas are painted but even without one it would be fun to see who could paint the most anyway. Maybe have a map show up if you press start.

I've never actually played the 1v1 mode, I'm just guessing that's Nintendo's reasoning

Can they put Kelp Dome on maintenance too?

I.E: Get rid of it completely.

heathen

Neoxon

I don't think local set-ups would really develop with such a requirement in place. Would just be too difficult to actually get going.

There'd have to be a Wii U for each player anyway. Nintendo doesn't really use the Wii U's 2-GamePads-per-system functionality, & the framerate would have to be cut in half if they added split screen. The only real issue that the saves would resolve is the need to bring your own Wii U instead of just using the ones provided at a venue.

Top Bottom