• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

Brofield

This is the same structure that they use with their demo builds, it has little to do with the servers that host Splatoon, and is just using a centralized hub (your local network) to connect the WiiUs to one another. The game will also still be connected to the internet to track your kid's progress/stats/gear. You won't be P2Ping across unknown lengths of fiber, you'll be P2Ping over LAN. The rest is just data checks with the server that hosts stats and such for Splatoon, since it doesn't have dedicated servers as far as I am aware.

It should work similarly to LAN in halo MCC, as long as the Internet connection is steady and the Nintendo Network isn't having issues it will be fine. Splatoon is p2p so one of the LANed Wii Us will be elected as the game server and the match should play with very low latency as long as all players are in the LAN.

It's nice to see Nintendo call this out, I hope that means NOA is pushing for real LAN support.

Well, I guess it would be rare to see 8 Wii Us and 8 TVs in a single house for a simple party, but it is nice to see LAN support offered in some capacity regardless.

That twins squid squads got my hopes up ever so briefly for 2v2v2v2 matches, but then I realized that is currently not feasible with the current map set ups and bases...maybe in Spla2oon.

The GameXplain analysis on Urchin Underpass certainly has me excited for the redesign, but I wonder if it'll also change up the Battle Dojo version of the level. Speaking of, has there been any announcements in adding more of the maps from online multi into local?

Raitaro

Well, I guess it would be rare to see 8 Wii Us and 8 TVs in a single house for a simple party, but it is nice to see LAN support offered in some capacity regardless.

That twins squid squads got my hopes up ever so briefly for 2v2v2v2 matches, but then I realized that is currently not feasible with the current map set ups and bases...maybe in Spla2oon.

The GameXplain analysis on Urchin Underpass certainly has me excited for the redesign, but I wonder if it'll also change up the Battle Dojo version of the level. Speaking of, has there been any announcements in adding more of the maps from online multi into local?

I'm very skeptical they will ever bother to update the Battle Dojo mode at this point, unless it is part of some bigger overhaul of / addition to the game's single player and local multiplayer side (which I personally would like to see very much).

It would be cool if someone with some pull would ask them about this though.

Vena

Its for local tournament usage, it even says so in the "patch" notes, lol. Your average person is unlikely to host a local tournament in their house. (For that, there's Smash.)

Crisium

So good advice would be not to join as a team of 3. It looks like their fear of splitting the community did not abide. 3v3 would add another matchmaking mode that might not be well populated.

No regional mode is the biggest problem. Even if it were only "regional preference" I'd take it. Games like that try to get you in your region only, but essentially add a timer where it just throws you into any game if you cannot find any. Such a shame that they feel there is no need for this.

I have a question about this game. I just got it today. Is there a way to turn off the music while playing multiplayer? Why i ask, well i've been playing for almost 1 hour and theres like only 1-2 friggin songs and the music is not this games high point imo. Is there a way to turn off just the music?

No regional mode is the biggest problem. Even if it were only "regional preference" I'd take it. Games like that try to get you in your region only, but essentially add a timer where it just throws you into any game if you cannot find any. Such a shame that they feel there is no need for this.

What is the problem exactly? So far the (region-locked) Splatfests have proven it makes little to no difference, with some players even reporting that lag with regional opponents is overall worse than worldwide.

Grakl

I have a question about this game. I just got it today. Is there a way to turn off the music while playing multiplayer? Why i ask, well i've been playing for almost 1 hour and theres like only 1-2 friggin songs and the music is not this games high point imo. Is there a way to turn off just the music?
Nope

MrGameBoy

I was thinking of the - Button being saved just in case voice chat with friends happens. Maybe set the "Show Cursor on GamePad" to the 1 Button.
I don't know...extending the thumb from the A Button (jump) or +Control Pad (side buttons also turn the camera, down resets the camera) to the 1 Button might be too much of a stretch. Did you intend to have 1 be pressed once to change the cursor location, and then press 1 again to revert the cursor back to the TV? As for voice chat, I assumed you can communicate only among your teammates. Were you taking into account other options like muting or talking specifically to a teammate?

prag16

Banned
What is the problem exactly? So far the (region-locked) Splatfests have proven it makes little to no difference, with some players even reporting that lag with regional opponents is overall worse than worldwide.
Not in my anecdotal experience. Splatfests were nearly flawless while I deal with moderate to crazy lag routinely when Japanese players are involved. So from my perspective I beg to differ.

timshundo

5 multiplayer songs on shuffle.

AdanVC

Nintendo posted on tumblr the clip of the new song on the update and:

kkd9pdx.jpg

omfg

correojon

Not in my anecdotal experience. Splatfests were nearly flawless while I deal with moderate to crazy lag routinely when Japanese players are involved. So from my perspective I beg to differ.

In my experience I´ve got many more disconnecting players, lag issues, disconnects, uneven matches (3VS4, 2VS3...even a 2VS0!) during Splatfests than in normal mode. In almost 400 hours of game time I may have had 10 uneven games from the start, while during Splatfests it was almost constant during some periods. I may have had like 5 disconnects during matches in normal mode and much more during Splatfests.

For me, the difference has been abysmal. And most of my matches are against japanese players (EU here).

In my experience I´ve got many more disconnecting players, lag issues, disconnects, uneven matches (3VS4, 2VS3...even a 2VS0!) during Splatfests than in normal mode. In almost 400 hours of game time I may have had 10 uneven games from the start, while during Splatfests it was almost constant during some periods. I may have had like 5 disconnects during matches in normal mode and much more during Splatfests.

For me, the difference has been abysmal. And most of my matches are against japanese players (EU here).

I've felt that the server situation actually improved and it was quite stable for me during the Splatfest (Europe here as well). I'm more concerned by the general lack of European players. During evenings it's 70-80% Japanese names here. And how come they're all playing Splatoon like at 3-4 AM anyways? o_O

Unfortunately I'll never be able to try this LAN-like mode, like ever. Some online split-screen would have been the icing on the cake, but that's never gonna come, so whatever...

jariw

That has been my experience as well. No general issues with Japanese or US players (I'm in EU), but huge problems of different kinds during the Splatfests. I even got a warning message "The connection is unstable" that I have never seen other than during the Splatfest.

My guess is that the Splatfest includes players from all levels, while I usually play against higher-level players. Higher-level players is more of a guarantee the player has sorted out their own connection issues.

noshten

I also have more lag during Splatfests. My Wii U is US and I'm personally located in EE - Japanese players have less lag than US based ones. That's why I find it funny when people complain about laggy Japanese Rollers - if you are having lag issues, most likely it's your problem.

JoeM86

Seems after Level 20, the ranking up is done akin to that of the ranks in Splatfest
CLJr4l2UEAE7uYM.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/626681920416387072
大型アップデートでランクの上限が「20」から「50」に引き上げられる。
ランク20以降はそれまでとは違い、ノルマ達成ポイント+勝利ポイントを貯めることでランクが上がっていく。
5ランク毎にちょっとしたご褒美があるので、高みを目指そう。

Chase17

I think I'll get back into the game after this update! Been a while since I've played so with all the new content things will probably feel pretty fresh.

Are maps in sets of 3 yet?

Seems after Level 20, the ranking up is done akin to that of the ranks in Splatfest

Hmm, guess this means that you'll at least get points even if your team's got KO'ed in Ranked Battle, so that's nice. But seeing that it already takes 40 points, or 8 consecutive wins with enough points, that's gonna be a loooong road :eek:

I think I'll get back into the game after this update! Been a while since I've played so with all the new content things will probably feel pretty fresh.

Are maps in sets of 3 yet?

No, and afaik nothing has been announced in that regard yet.
Also I see what you did there ;-) Gotta stay fresh!

jariw

Hmm, guess this means that you'll at least get points even if your team's got KO'ed in Ranked Battle, so that's nice.

Or they're separating Ranked and Turf War completely after level 20, so you only level up in Turf War, and keeping Ranked for rank.

Or they're separating Ranked and Turf War completely after level 20, so you only level up in Turf War, and keeping Ranked for rank.

Ugh, please no! in that case I'd stay level 20 forever. Don't know about you guys but I basically stopped playing Standard Battles/Turf War. But to be fair that is also partially because I reached the level cap and there is nothing to unlock. Now that this is about to change, I might check Turf War again.

I wonder how this compares to ranking up traditionally? I'm guessing it's less. I actually want the levels to take longer so I won't max out too quickly.

What sucks is before wining only gave you 300 points more on top of let's say an average of 700.

Now winning matters more. It's gone from around 30% of total winning points to 60%.

Still very happy they went with rewards every 5 levels. That was what I thought they should do.

Ahnez

Second post in that tweet

ウデマエにもA+の上位に「S」「S+」が追加される。 ウデマエを上げる条件はA+以下と同じだが、維持はさらに厳しくなる。 なお、タッグマッチでの勝敗はS以上のウデマエには影響しない。 S+を目指すにはガチマッチでの勝利が必要だ。

Looks like playing in squad battle doesn't affect your rank if you're S or S+

To reach S+, you HAVE to play in the random ranked mode

StayDead

At first I was disappointed, but I guess it's to prevent people overusing higher-scoring weapons such as Aerospray to reach a high level fast, and to instead increase emphasis on team play. So it's fine.

This is the best thing about it, because I use a charger and while scoring high with it isn't that difficult if your team is doing well, if your team is doing badly then your score is always much lower and therefor it's much harder to level up (thankfully I just got level 20 again (lost my HDD data a while back so had to restart)) so this is a hugely welcome change.

Volotaire

It's fantastic that they will finally have friend lobbies up, although I'm not sure if you can make a 2 player friend group and then play against random players. That would match it up against modern competitive online shooter equivalents. The update sounds great, and hope they continue on. The level 50 cap seems like it is more than enough for me (I'm only Level 10).

So on that post on reddit calculating points per level it would take 35700 points to reach level 22. So let's say you need at least 35 matches with an average of 1000 points.

https://m.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3eryyr/points_needed_per_level_up_to_50/

Base on the picture you need 48 points to reach level 22. Let's say 7 wins for 35 points and 7 losses for 14 points on average.

35 to 14 is a 60% decrease. I was disappointed at first but considering that based on the original leveling method it would have 2600 matches of Turf War at 1000 points for level 5 this seems more reasonable.

Javier

One thing I hope gets eventually added: The option to erase Campaign data and ONLY Campaign data in-game. Right now you can only delete the whole file from Console Settings, which is quite inconvenient for speedrunners.

backlot

One thing I hope gets eventually added: The option to erase Campaign data and ONLY Campaign data in-game. Right now you can only delete the whole file from Console Settings, which is quite inconvenient for speedrunners.
You could copy your data to removable storage and use that whenever you go online.

Do you guys think we'll have a Squid Sisters "album" released for new music at some point, even if it's just for Splatfest? Kind of a missed opportunity IMO.

I like this more. Means that one doesn't have to use weapons that maximize coverage in order to get the most points. I like the Custom Jet Squelcher, but it would be very difficult for me to even pass 1k points in Turf Wars with it.

This is the best thing about it, because I use a charger and while scoring high with it isn't that difficult if your team is doing well, if your team is doing badly then your score is always much lower and therefor it's much harder to level up (thankfully I just got level 20 again (lost my HDD data a while back so had to restart)) so this is a hugely welcome change.
Yes, exactly :)

Top Bottom