• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

Cynn

I'm running an eSports/Comic Con hybrid this fall and this news put Splatoon on my radar. No one knows what Spatoon is outside of GAF but damnit... I may add it just for personal satisfaction.

Azure J

I missed so goddamn much today.

About LAN, it seems we get someyhing close:

Private Battle: Two to eight friends can battle together in customizable matches. Private Battle also allows players to hold small-scale custom tournaments using up to 8 Wii U consoles and games on a single Internet connection.

Holy fuck.

Totakeke

I'm running an eSports/Comic Con hybrid this fall and this news put Splatoon on my radar. No one knows what Spatoon is outside of GAF but damnit... I may add it just for personal satisfaction.

Do itttt. There were reports of long lines for the Splatoon setup at Evo.

Azure J

Holy shit, these additions. I'm so fucking excited. Especially for new gear. Fashion has been like half my motivation for playing the game. I need new goals, lol.

Also, love that they're straight up adding new weapon types.

They need to just go HAM and make Inkbrush/Brush its own melee class and start experimenting with different types of brush. I want a Sumi-e and a Fountain Pen that are basically Yamato and Rebellion from Devil May Cry. :lol

Do itttt. There were reports of long lines for the Splatoon setup at Evo.

Wasn't it like a 2-3 hour wait for the casual setups and a decently sized Splatoon tournament later on in the second day?

Yeah, just strike while the iron's hot and convert some folks to the way of the ink. :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is the same structure that they use with their demo builds, it has little to do with the servers that host Splatoon, and is just using a centralized hub (your local network) to connect the WiiUs to one another.
If that’s how they handle LANs in fairs, then performance is perfect. I played 4vs4 at Japan Expo and it was flawless.

NotLiquid

I just realized the naming of group battles corrected the biggest sin of English naming convention

uurO1G3.jpg

Thanks Splatoon

nubbe

Private Battle: Two to eight friends can battle together in customizable matches. Private Battle also allows players to hold small-scale custom tournaments using up to 8 Wii U consoles and games on a single Internet connection.

Guess Splatoooooon is a MOBA now

Cuburt

This game keeps on giving so much content.

I hope reviews went back and updated because I saw some significant mark downs for content not being there day one and this seems like will there been heaps of content updated for free, more is coming up into the fall. It's been enough to get me sinking many hours into the game which is rare for me with an online centric game but even if reviews and fanboy backlash don't take back the negative remarks, I hope the sales reflect the credit the game deserves.

Cuburt

I hope that add something that lets you permanently swap gear rolls with other gear. I want the freshest gear to also be my favorite load out.

MrGameBoy

So basically you want Splatoon to take the Pikmin 3 approach.
Correct. I will elaborate a little further once I respond to your next post...

While you'd avoid the issues of not having the GamePad, having to reach for the GamePad every time you want to spawn on someone or use an Inkstrike could get annoying.
I do have possible solution to this potential problem: hold the + Button on the Wii Remote (Plus) to have your reticule "translated" to your GamePad screen. What I mean by "translated" is that another cursor will be seen on the touch screen, located similarly as where the Wii Remote would be pointed on the TV screen, so you're still aiming at the sensor bar. (This idea makes more sense if you press the HOME button while using a Wii Remote, where the hand cursor is also displayed on the GamePad, albeit as a "shadow".) Aim your IR-based cursor over a target (teammate or Squid Beakon) and press Z (the hypothetical squid button on the Nunchuk) to super jump. For Inkstrike, activate the special by pressing up on the +Control Pad, which "translates" your reticule to the GamePad, select a location with this cursor and press B (hypothetical shoot button) to confirm.

Coffee table in front, gamepad on coffee table. Voilà.

Okay it's not perfect. I'd really miss gyro
Pretty much, though see my more detailed response to one of Neoxon' posts. It would be nice to have the gyro option for Wii Remote Plus users if they don't like pointer controls (with MotionPlus acting as a failsafe in the case that the IR reticule is offscreen).

There's always the Wii Motion Plus. Plus they could always go with The Conduit's feature of modifying the bounding box for moving the camera.
If pointer controls were to be implemented, bounding boxes would be a must in the Options.

MrGameBoy

I would love this so much... I bet it will never come to pass, but I personally love pointer controls.
It's great that I'm not alone about this. :)
We must make our voice(s) heard...time to spam the Miiverse discussion boards once the update is ready this Wednesday?

Saro

Any news about moving a splatoon save or data to another console? I share the Wii U with my brother so neither of us wants to start all over again on a second Wii U just to play together.

Listen to the new song included in Splatoon’s August update

Splatoon’s first big content update is coming on August 6th. Alongside new game modes, weapons and more, a new song will also be added to the game. Briefly heard during the trailer for the update, Nintendo have now published a longer version. The song is called “Hooked” and it’s performed (in-universe) by the band Hightide Era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nljG9cre6Dg&index=1&list=PL4D85f9vYKbmZk3teC617JuaeVhiksbU2

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625985089554354176
http://nintendoeverything.com/listen-to-the-new-song-included-in-splatoons-august-update/

The world-building of this game is great. It's why I want a substantial single-player experience for the next game.

Song is honestly not grabbing me unlike literally every other track. Feels too off. Maybe playing it in Squid Beats will get me warmed up to it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Splatoon’s first big content update is coming on August 6th. Alongside new game modes, weapons and more, a new song will also be added to the game. Briefly heard during the trailer for the update, Nintendo have now published a longer version. The song is called “Hooked” and it’s performed (in-universe) by the band Hightide Era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nljG9cre6Dg&index=1&list=PL4D85f9vYKbmZk3teC617JuaeVhiksbU2

http://nintendoeverything.com/listen-to-the-new-song-included-in-splatoons-august-update/
Omg

Neoxon

August 6th can't get here soon enough.

trixx

this game is the greatest. Also i had no idea disruptor was such a good sub weapon.

Definitely in top 5 wii u games list

wiibomb

I wonder, is this song already in the disc or is this really a DLC download?

Neoxon

Correct. I will elaborate a little further once I respond to your next post...

I do have possible solution to this potential problem: hold the + Button on the Wii Remote (Plus) to have your reticule "translated" to your GamePad screen. What I mean by "translated" is that another cursor will be seen on the touch screen, located similarly as where the Wii Remote would be pointed on the TV screen, so you're still aiming at the sensor bar. (This idea makes more sense if you press the HOME button while using a Wii Remote, where the hand cursor is also displayed on the GamePad, albeit as a "shadow".) Aim your IR-based cursor over a target (teammate or Squid Beakon) and press Z (the hypothetical squid button on the Nunchuk) to super jump. For Inkstrike, activate the special by pressing up on the +Control Pad, which "translates" your reticule to the GamePad, select a location with this cursor and press B (hypothetical shoot button) to confirm.

Pretty much, though see my more detailed response to one of Neoxon' posts. It would be nice to have the gyro option for Wii Remote Plus users if they don't like pointer controls (with MotionPlus acting as a failsafe in the case that the IR reticule is offscreen).

If pointer controls were to be implemented, bounding boxes would be a must in the Options.
The "C'mon" & "Boo-Yah!" call-outs are relegated to the D-Pad, the "C'mon" call-out is on the Up button of the D-Pad specifically. Though I do agree with making use of the GamePad's sensor bar & using MotionPlus just in case the IR pointer is off-screen.

MrGameBoy

The "C'mon" & "Boo-Yah!" call-outs are relegated to the D-Pad, the "C'mon" call-out is on the Up button of the D-Pad specifically. Though I do agree with making use of the GamePad's sensor bar & using MotionPlus just in case the IR pointer is off-screen.
For text commands, they will be handled by holding the - Button and then tilting the Control Stick up or down (or possibly sideways if more messages were to be added). Also to clarify, I meant to say the sensor bar connected to the console rather than the one on the GamePad, as if you're still pointing at the TV but your cursor is shown on the GamePad instead. Though pointing at the GamePad directly could be an option as well.

foltzie1

Can't wait for rooms of all Lvl 50s and a single Lvl 7.

"You came to the wrong lobby, boi"

This happened last night, entire group of 20's and a single level 3 and when I found that name on the other team this was my exact reaction.

It was a slaughter.

My first game I was matched with some 15s and all 20s. I was expecting to be crushed and take my team with me. We won, but my ratio was crap. I ended up going roller until I could join ranked just so I could add some value in Turf Wars, but yikes at certain hours it is daunting.

Heck even now I'm only level 15, but thankfully ranked battles usually result in a nice 2K bump so I tend to get a level for each session I play.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Getting 4 TVs and 4 Wii U in a single room is not likely to happen to me, maybe once, but a 2 TV set up is something I will easily be able to do at my friend's. He has a videoprojector and a Plasma in the same room. I'll just have to move my console. So good :)

Neoxon

For text commands, they will be handled by holding the - Button and then tilting the Control Stick up or down (or possibly sideways if more messages were to be added). Also to clarify, I meant to say the sensor bar connected to the console rather than the one on the GamePad, as if you're still pointing at the TV but your cursor is shown on the GamePad instead. Though pointing at the GamePad directly could be an option as well.
I was thinking of the - Button being saved just in case voice chat with friends happens. Maybe set the "Show Cursor on GamePad" to the 1 Button.

Raitaro

Really great that we're getting more content - especially so much of it all at once. Nintendo truly is firing on all cylinders with Splatoon so far! I wonder if this warrants a new set of reviews or extended looks by game media (not to open that can of worms again...but I do actually wonder...)?

I do have a few concerns and wishes though, all coming from a game preservation / lonely and shy gamer view point. I wish they'd:

- Allow us to play every map offline as well against bots, or in a horde mode against normal enemies alone and in co-op perhaps.
- Add Octolings as a playable second class, complete with their own gear and/or characteristics (like slower swim speed but more health).
- Turn brush weapons into its own class and add more varieties as well, like some have mentioned here.
- Add some additional offline single player content, like a hard mode or new post-game stages.
- Add all DLC stages to the Battle Dojo mode (so that we can play them offline whenever we want - another way to solve this is to allow us to scout all maps offline as well).
- Keep adding more songs to the rotation to keep them from becoming stale.
- Keep the rotation of maps (to keep everyone on the same page so to speak), but increase the number to 3 and/or decrease the 4-hour period to 2/3 hour rorations (since in the current schedule, I always end up playing just after a new set has kicked in because of the time they change on and as such I need to play on the same maps for 4 hours because waiting for the next set would take too long and would force me to play at a inconvenient time.)
- Not remove the trees from Urchin Underpass unless it is absolutely necessary (as it's bad enough already I have to swallow the removal of healthy trees in real life because of people's carelessness or their weird "I'm in the mood for something else, so screw these 20+ year old trees in my garden" stance). In fact, please add some more trees to other stages instead!
- Add an aquarium level where there are lots of glass walls, floors and ceilings where you can see the opponent but can't hit them, and where the amount of inkable surfaces is more limited to only certain places on the map.

I'm also concerned that the options to play with friends will in some ways ruin the game for me unless I go out of my way to start adding people to my empty friends list or add my name to lists on forums. I'm not opposed to doing so per definition, but it never came naturally to me (on any platform) and I wouldn't have played a - for me - unequaled number of online matches in this game if the threshold to do so would not have been so low. I fear that the addition of the friends only modes might change that in a negative way for me at least - but let's hope I can adapt to this as well. I also wonder how many people will stick to random after these modes get added and split the user base.

Also, why not add a mode that supports 2 Gamepads - like Nintendo at some point promised us they'd make possible after the initial backlash against one Gamepad per Wii U - so that I can play with a friend locally on all maps using the new custom mode? Apart from a true LAN mode, this game screams for more local multiplayer options I feel (and could become a tournament favorite with them included perhaps).

Finally, while it is commendable they are willing to adjust stages that might have some problems, like some others here, I do feel bummed out a bit that the old version is lost to us forever from that point onwards without any way to preserve it. I guess it is unavoidable with these type of modern online-focused games, similar to fighting games and older versions of characters before they are buffed or nerfed, but it still worries me a bit from a "I should never lose content I paid for and got attached to" perspective.

AdanVC

So freaking GLAD they are adding new songs as well. I was getting tired of hearing the same 3 songs during matches everytime. New song sounds really good! I don't know why but the illustration of that band reminds me of Gorillaz... Especially with the lil' guy on the right. Haha. Next week can't come soon enough!! So hyped.

This happened last night, entire group of 20's and a single level 3 and when I found that name on the other team this was my exact reaction.

It was a slaughter.

My niece just got the game and I was showing her how to play the multiplayer.
I'm sure those level 15-20 players were just THRILLED seeing a level 1 show up.

I've never wanted voice chat in this game, but I wish I had it just to hear their reaction when that level 1 had 15 splats, no deaths, and 1500 points. :-D

I also wish I could have heard their reaction when my niece played the next round and scored just 40 points.

Japanese twitter updates:

大型アップデートで追加されるオンライン対戦モード「タッグマッチ」。 レギュラーマッチのフレンド合流のように、ガチマッチをフレンドと遊ぶためのモードだ。 フレンドと2人または4人の"タッグ"を組んで挑むことになる。

2人タッグの場合、まずウデマエの近い2人タッグ×4組が集められて、2人タッグ×2組の2チームに分かれて対戦することになる。 どのタッグとどのタッグがチームを組むことになるかはランダムに決定される。

4人タッグの場合は、同じく4人タッグの中からウデマエに応じた相手が選ばれ対戦することになる。 4人タッグと2人タッグ×2組のチームが対戦したり、単独でガチマッチに挑んでいるプレイヤーが加わることはない。

ちなみに、3人でタッグを組むこともできるが、扱いは4人タッグと同じだ。 3人対4人の対戦になるので、腕に自信のあるプレイヤーにだけオススメしたい。 なお、タッグマッチでもポイントは入手でき、ウデマエも上下するそうだ。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625982793730818048?lang=en

Totakeke

CK_wCHdVEAAjwL0.jpg:orig

Those are some badass squids on top.

From google translate it also says that if you join as a group of three you'd fight against groups of four as well? No wonder you have to be a badass squid to do that.

fred

This finally arrived from Gamefly, on the one hand I'm in time for this update, on the other I have no practice and will be a certified baddie for weeks

I wouldn't worry too much. The game is so ridiculously addictive that once you start playing you won't be able to stop. Won't take you long to level up and get good at the game.

phanphare

Banned
CK_wCHdVEAAjwL0.jpg:orig

Those are some badass squids on top.

From google translate it also says that if you join as a group of three you'd fight against groups of four as well? No wonder you have to be a badass squid to do that.

that squid on the right seems to have accepted his fate lol

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

You'd be surprised. Splatoon really is one of the most popular games Nintendo has put out in quite a while that wasn't Mario Kart or Smash. Kids (or squids?) especially love the damn thing.

Vena

Japanese twitter updates:

大型アップデートで追加されるオンライン対戦モード「タッグマッチ」。 レギュラーマッチのフレンド合流のように、ガチマッチをフレンドと遊ぶためのモードだ。 フレンドと2人または4人の"タッグ"を組んで挑むことになる。

2人タッグの場合、まずウデマエの近い2人タッグ×4組が集められて、2人タッグ×2組の2チームに分かれて対戦することになる。 どのタッグとどのタッグがチームを組むことになるかはランダムに決定される。

4人タッグの場合は、同じく4人タッグの中からウデマエに応じた相手が選ばれ対戦することになる。 4人タッグと2人タッグ×2組のチームが対戦したり、単独でガチマッチに挑んでいるプレイヤーが加わることはない。

ちなみに、3人でタッグを組むこともできるが、扱いは4人タッグと同じだ。 3人対4人の対戦になるので、腕に自信のあるプレイヤーにだけオススメしたい。 なお、タッグマッチでもポイントは入手でき、ウデマエも上下するそうだ。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625982793730818048?lang=en

There's so much life injected into these squid, lol. Its no wonder the game has taken on a life of its own. Such detail is rare, especially when it serves no purpose other than to give even the most simple of pictures some personality.

NX launching with Splat2n will be glorious, lol.

Geg

Yeah this is actually some important info about squad battles:

"By the way, you can make a squad of only three players, but it's treated the same as a group of four. This will lead to 3 vs. 4 matches, so it should only be used by players confident in their skills. Additionally, it seems you still gain points in squad battles and can raise and lower your rank."

Top Bottom