• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

I thought it would have been REALLY cool if Halo 5 had ended with Cortana successful. Osiris is defeated, Blue Team is locked away, and humanity is presumably doomed to AI rule. Halo 6 begins 10,000 years later, when Blue Team is released by Cortana to show them the error of their thought.

Granted, most of the core cast would be dead in Halo 6, but I imagine there would be ways to have Halsey, Arbiter, and others still alive via Halsey's ingenuity.

While this would be cool, it'd also irrevocably break what we know to be Halo in too many ways imo.

That being said, I could see a what-if situation with that premise working out pretty well. Basically Samurai Jack, but with Blue Team.

AHA-Lambda

Going to repost my feelings on the story from the OT, fun game, super unimpressed with the story (even if 4 was worse)

Just finished the campaign, was good fun but man the story is still just not up to snuff; not as bad as Halo 4 at least. That one felt that EU knowledge was necessary, this one seemed more to rely on your knowledge Halo 4 if that makes any sense.

This was a bit of a problem for me cos 4 was confusing enough and I didn't play Spartan Ops, and only now know that there was a lot of backstory for UNSC, Halsey, Palmer etc in there >_>

But, couple big problems with the story (and I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this but I've not been keeping an eye on this thread):

-Master Chief & Locke relationship was so weak, you can argue the thematic difference of halo 3 's marketing to release but this is what the story of 5 was built on, and it's just not there.

-The whole thing is just one big chase for Cortana. The whole thing is set up for Halo 6.

- Speaking of you know who above, her turn around is so weak, so so weak. There's no real justification for it Cortana is just evil now cos she got her hands on some Forerunner toys, oh well! At least you could maybe excuse the rampancy reason, as weak and underdeveloped as it was in the games, but there's no reason here O__o
Also her reason for being alive is weak as shit too, she just sort of survived on the forerunner internet somehow >_>

Going to repost my feelings on the story from the OT, fun game, super unimpressed with the story (even if 4 was worse)

I disagree with the last point.Spending half your life with a soldier fighting battles while knowing his real name and knowing what the person who built you did by stealing him from his past life. Then being tortured by a gravemind. Then spending the other half of your life alone, then you almost die by going crazy and rampant. That'll change a person.

AHA-Lambda

I disagree with the last point.Spending half your life with a soldier fighting battles while knowing his real name and knowing what the person who built you did by stealing him from his past life. Then being tortured by a gravemind. Then spending the other half of your life alone, then you almost die by going crazy and rampant. That'll change a person.

I can't say I agree, as there is no build up to her change, it just happens. Oh look Cortana is back and she's bad now. She gets cured of rampancy of screen and has some big guns to play with, ergo she's evil?

If it were rampancy I'd be a bit more happy as I could accept it as a logical consequence of that plot point (even if I as I said earlier that idea is woefully underdeveloped in the games compared to the EU). She just is bad now.

I'm also surprised at some people in this thread (after having a quick read through just now) don't see her as a villain due to her motivation for peace through deterrance? How many tyrants have we seen through games that have good intentions if by the wrong methods? This isn't anything new, she's a villain.

I can't say I agree, as there is no build up to her change, it just happens. Oh look Cortana is back and she's bad now. She gets cured of rampancy of screen and has some big guns to play with, ergo she's evil?

If it were rampancy I'd be a bit more happy as I could accept it as a logical consequence of that plot point (even if I as I said earlier that idea is woefully underdeveloped in the games compared to the EU). She just is bad now.

I think your thinking of the things cortana said in halo 4 as part of her rampancy. When she says stuff in halo 4 like 'im not doing this for mankind', 'I will not allow you to leave this planet' and 'do you know what that condescending bitch said to me the first time we played chess' that clearly shows her anger and distrust in humanity and sure the reason she actually said things like that we're because of rampancy. Those were things she actually thought.

When she is then saved by the domain and given access to the mantle of course she is going to do her own thing.

AHA-Lambda

I think your thinking of the things cortana said in halo 4 as part of her rampancy. When she says stuff in halo 4 like 'im not doing this for mankind', 'I will not allow you to leave this planet' and 'do you know what that condescending bitch said to me the first time we played chess' that clearly shows her anger and distrust in humanity and sure the reason she actually said things like that we're because of rampancy. Those were things she actually thought.

When she is then saved by the domain and given access to the mantle of course she is going to do her own thing.

Well then there are three outcomes I can see from what you say:

1) she's not cured from rampancy, I'd be okay with that plot point it makes sense, even if it'd be a retcon for Halo 6 and a poor piece of storytelling on 5's part.

2) She is cured from rampancy, but still shows these feelings as a result of the rampancy, again not clear from 5's storytelling, but at least it'd make logical sense for 6 to pick up on. She may have always had these feelings, but it didn't make for a 180 turn in motivation and behaviour in previous games.

3) She is cured from rampancy, and is back to normality as she was in Halo 1-3, where she didn't display this behaviour. So why is she having these feelings? Very poor storytelling on 5's part to me.

I get the impression now 343 doesn't know how exactly to handle her and are leaving open the possibilities to work with for Halo 6, but that still leaves us with a poor villain now, which 343 made just cos they wanted her to be a villain.

Well then there are three outcomes I can see from what you say:

1) she's not cured from rampancy, I'd be okay with that plot point it makes sense, even if it'd be a retcon for Halo 6 and a poor piece of storytelling on 5's part.

2) She is cured from rampancy, but still shows these feelings as a result of the rampancy, again not clear from 5's storytelling, but at least it'd make logical sense for 6 to pick up on. She may have always had these feelings, but it didn't make for a 180 turn in motivation and behaviour in previous games.

3) She is cured from rampancy, and is back to normality as she was in Halo 1-3, where she didn't display this behaviour. So why is she having these feelings? Very poor storytelling on 5's part to me.

I get the impression now 343 doesn't know how exactly to handle her and are leaving open the possibilities to work with for Halo 6, but that still leaves us with a poor villain now, which 343 made just cos they wanted her to be a villain.

I dont think you get what im saying. These thoughts and ideas against humanity that cortana developed started during her 3/4 year isolation and even though her rampancy caused the infinity to lose power and for her to crash the ship in halo 4, her underlying opinions we're independent of her rampancy.

It's like when you see drunk people arguing, the arguements are started and escalated by the booze. But the underlying things they say and the emotions they feel are only heightened by the alchohol, not caused by.

What's your 117 of the Halo 5 soundtrack so far?
The Trials, everything else sounds way too much like Tron for me to remember it.

I recently played through the campaign for the third time and it made me realize something. The story isn't even about Chief or Locke, or humans at all. The entire story to me felt like it revolved around Cortana, which really feels like a slap in the face after Reach was unfortunately crippled by having Noble teams deaths be about Cortana, and especially since she "died" in Halo 4 and how they marketed 5. Cortana is simply not that interesting of a character, especially since she stopped being a sassy door opener to chief and started being a weird AI Waifu in 3. It really feels to me like the narrative team at 343 needs an editor to tell them to focus on one singular thread and flesh that out instead of just throwing as much stuff in as you can. You want to have Cortana and Chief stuck on a forerunner planet while Cortana goes rampant? Great! Stick with that and flesh it out, there's no need to shove the Didact, ancient humans, Librarian, Infinity, and all the other stuff into the game. In 5 I was really hoping they would be focusing on Chief going rogue and Locke hunting him down perhaps with an ONI being scumbags backstory, but instead it feels like this is literally a footnote that they decided to market the entire game on while the actual story is focused on unrelatable things like the Mantle. The way that Halo 6 has been set up it will at least be interesting I guess. I'll probably play through the campaign once more on Legendary just to get the achievement, but this doesn't seem to be a Halo 4 situation where I learn to appreciate it after repeat playthroughs.

Toa TAK

Banned
Master Chief went full Pedro Infante after Cortana put him in her womb.
confused-eyebrows.gif

This got weird. But then again, so is everything about them.
Cortana trying to cry was the most awkward thing I see in Halo history so far
You mean, more than this?
GxZBAdC.gif

Grisby

Master Chief went full Pedro Infante after Cortana put him in her womb.
zHBUn.gif

Isn't that The Trials?
Ayup. Just a damn good pump up tune. So glad they brought the main theme back.

You mean, more than [B]this?[/B]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GxZBAdC.gif
Christ, I really liked the chief/cortana interaction in 4, but she died in such a dumb way. That whole last QTE was just...not good.

5's long walk to sphere deal was thankfully better.

This got weird. But then again, so is everything about them.

You mean, more than this?
GxZBAdC.gif

Christ, I really liked the chief/cortana interaction in 4, but she died in such a dumb way. That whole last QTE was just...not good.

5's long walk to sphere deal was thankfully better.

The last scene looked more awkward when the monitor retrieve Chief by force and Cortana scream in pain while the ball was in the lower part of the Guardian like some sort of abortion.

jelly

The Trials, everything else sounds way too much like Tron for me to remember it.

I recently played through the campaign for the third time and it made me realize something. The story isn't even about Chief or Locke, or humans at all. The entire story to me felt like it revolved around Cortana, which really feels like a slap in the face after Reach was unfortunately crippled by having Noble teams deaths be about Cortana, and especially since she "died" in Halo 4 and how they marketed 5. Cortana is simply not that interesting of a character, especially since she stopped being a sassy door opener to chief and started being a weird AI Waifu in 3. It really feels to me like the narrative team at 343 needs an editor to tell them to focus on one singular thread and flesh that out instead of just throwing as much stuff in as you can. You want to have Cortana and Chief stuck on a forerunner planet while Cortana goes rampant? Great! Stick with that and flesh it out, there's no need to shove the Didact, ancient humans, Librarian, Infinity, and all the other stuff into the game. In 5 I was really hoping they would be focusing on Chief going rogue and Locke hunting him down perhaps with an ONI being scumbags backstory, but instead it feels like this is literally a footnote that they decided to market the entire game on while the actual story is focused on unrelatable things like the Mantle. The way that Halo 6 has been set up it will at least be interesting I guess. I'll probably play through the campaign once more on Legendary just to get the achievement, but this doesn't seem to be a Halo 4 situation where I learn to appreciate it after repeat playthroughs.

Good point. I think they genuinely want to do their best but putting in the galactic sink is overkill and they've just done it twice. You can tell they want the big universe, new characters, epic story but it's just too much all at once. I thought Halo and Cortana having an adventure on an unknown planet would have been awesome in Halo 4 but then 343 pile on the layers.

Chief doing his job, working with Blue Team then going in search of Cortana after the Guardian stuff develops would have worked well enough just like that, meeting up with the Arbiter along the way to rescue Hasley and help decipher the Guardians and where Cortana could be. Exuberant Witness being their safety net when they reach Cortana. Blue Team just manages to escape. Evil Cortana surprising the UNSC and Hasley.at the end, Blue Team on their way.......hello Halo 6.

Good point. I think they genuinely want to do their best but putting in the galactic sink is overkill and they've just done it twice. You can tell they want the big universe, new characters, epic story but it's just too much all at once. I thought Halo and Cortana having an adventure on an unknown planet would have been awesome in Halo 4 but then 343 pile on the layers.

Chief doing his job, working with Blue Team then going in search of Cortana after the Guardian stuff develops would have worked well enough just like that, meeting up with the Arbiter along the way to rescue Hasley and help decipher the Guardians and where Cortana could be. Exuberant Witness being their safety net when they reach Cortana. Blue Team just manages to escape. Evil Cortana surprising the UNSC and Hasley.at the end, Blue Team on their way.......hello Halo 6.

COD took three games focusing in the chase of Makarov, three. Halo tried to condense all the huntthetruth in less than a half of the game and expected the player and newcomers to understand everything and move on.

I dont get it why 343i wants to explain all the stuff that happens outside the game via comics, novels and marketing. Forgets the main game lack the story itself or going to other way it was supposed to be advertised.

Toa TAK

Banned
The last scene looked more awkward when the monitor retrieve Chief by force and Cortana scream in pain while the ball was in the lower part of the Guardian like some sort of abortion.

GT5Zphi.gif

*JOOOHN!*

Though, you might be reading into it a little much, no? :p Unless they really want to go that route, but things are already funny enough as is.

AHA-Lambda

I dont think you get what im saying. These thoughts and ideas against humanity that cortana developed started during her 3/4 year isolation and even though her rampancy caused the infinity to lose power and for her to crash the ship in halo 4, her underlying opinions we're independent of her rampancy.

It's like when you see drunk people arguing, the arguements are started and escalated by the booze. But the underlying things they say and the emotions they feel are only heightened by the alchohol, not caused by.

OK, I see your point and if this is the reasoning for Cortana turning evil then fine. But as that may be, the plot point of Cortana turning evil is still not given enough development for this to really come through. 343's storytelling is pretty god damn woeful, no character gets any real development time and if you're going to flip a character's allegiances then it bloody well needs it.

Heck speaking of development time on screen, the reason for her non death is pathetic too and passed off in one passing conversation, that doesn't make too much sense.

So did Argent Moon play any role in the main story whatsoever? I only managed to collect about 4 of the intel and it seems like an experiment went wrong and poisoned the air. As a result, all the humans died within hours.

I thought this would tie into the overall story.

The Trials and Blue Team. I also really, really like Kamchatka as well. Great track to start the game.

Just finished my first playthrough on Heroic, thought I'd leave some thoughts.

A bit like every campaign since Halo 2, my initial thoughts are quite mixed - Halo CE is still my favourite campaign - likely the newness of it all, but it has that 'je nes sais quoi' thing, where it is better than the sum of it's parts.

Anyway, this is based on my initial reaction, although I did know a lot of plot points before/while playing.

The Good
--------------
- 60 FPS does make a difference to the gameplay, so smooth it took me the first 2 levels to really adjust, but after that it was great.
- Still Halo at it's core, all of the new mechanics complement the core 'Weapons, Grenades & Melee' triangle, and I'd probably say the best and most balanced adjustments to the basic gunplay since CE (at least in terms of campaign)
- Felt about the right length for me
- 343 making some ballsy moves in the universe/narrative which I welcome even if the execution is a bit lacking in places. I'm interested to see where things go, much more than I was at the end of Halo 4.
- Swords of Sanghelios was a GREAT mission! I'm sure on replays it's going to become one of my favourites
- My main gripes from Halo 4 were addressed - disappearing weapons and QTEs!
- Prometheans were much improved from Halo 4, and Hunters are again fearsome!
- Bearing on mind I just got the Xbone for Halo 5, I thought overall the graphics ere excellent and did the job they needed to.
- Outstanding soundtrack!

The Bad
-------------
- Some inexplicable decisions from 343 in terms of narrative execution. Whilst I could follow things ok, there were quite a few bits that felt 'off beat' like content had been cut or things were missing.
- Jul getting offed in mission one left a bad taste in my mouth, especially as it was a cutscene. He deserved a better send off, at least as a boss. IMO 343 missed a chance to have Jul and the Arbiter duke it out on Sanghelios, and ramp up a bit of tension to the Fall of the Covenant. Offing Jul early made that more of a damp squib. Biggest mis-step for me in the game from a lore/EU point of view.
- The Balance between blue team and Osiris was wrong IMO. Whilst I didn't mind Osiris, and they grew on me over the game, I wanted to know what Blue Team was doing more. I feel that again is part of the execution, after Argent Moon, it felt like Blue Team getting to Meridian was just simply cut out, and felt incongruous to me.A lot of Osiris feels like 343 pushing their own team over Chief, and whilst I can understand that to an extent, it didn't feel very subtle. I'd have actually liked to play as Arbiter and his commando squad in a couple of the missions, I think that would have made a more balanced 3 way split.
- Whilst I actually really like Cortana being the villain/antagonist, I feel that there is very little flow from Halo 4, almost as if 343 threw most of the Halo 4 storyline under the bus and decided to go with something else. I may pick up other things on another playthrough, but stuff like the Didact, Composer etc not even being mentioned felt very odd. Cortana herself, I like the armour and so forth, but the face is odd - is that a symptom of something? I would prefer it if Cortana in Halo 6 has logic plague, or has been infected by the compose Didact or something. What makes more sense to me is that maybe curing Rampancy has a side effect of erasing any human emotion implanted in the AI. However Cortana demonstrated emotion when putting Blue Team in the Cryptum. Something is off and I hope it's not just 343's writing.
- Reusing the Warden Eternal boss and lazily duplicating him. Poor show, he's frustrating to start with and sure you can get a strategy down, it didn't feel very inspired, even though he has a great design. These one hit kills are going to be a pain on Legendary Solo!
- Squad commands were not really that useful IMO and squad AI was disappointing. Better than Reach, but that was not a high bar. I missed the 'lone wolf' vibe in Halo CE

The Meh
-------------
- In the main, I didn't think the missions were either that great or that bad - so no real lows,but barring Swords of Sanghelios no great highs either. The gameplay at all times was great, but I didn't get as many memorable moments as normal I don't think.
- Possibly throwing too many enemies into the sandbox, and overdoing the 'waves of Prometheans'. Obviously with the design of a squad of 4 they needed to throw more enemies, but it could get quite tiresome.
- I think it was a bit silly calling the 3 missions that weren't really missions, missions. They should have been worked into the missions they were related to, and just felt like filler, it might have been an experiment but I did not think they worked as standalone missions.

Things/suggestions I'd like to see 343i (and Microsoft) address in Halo 6:-

- If there is an overarching narrative that has been fleshed out for this Game Trilogy, then work harder to get consistency in the writing / plots of the game and extended universe material, because right now it's a bit all over the place IMO. Escalation was hit and miss, Hunt the Truth has been EXCELLENT, Halo 4 and Halo 5 have been hit and miss. Escalation kind of bugged me in that it undervalued Halo 4 events, but then Halo 5 was almost like Halo 4 never happened (maybe 6 might tie it all together I don't know)
At least the events at the end of Halo 5 are a bit of a game-changer so I will be interested to see how the EU goes after this.

- Dial back the squads. Give me some lone wolf missions, some squad missions, mix it up a bit. If emphasis is going on squads then the AI is going to have to be better and the commands more useful / work better.

- Give some more enemy variety. I never thought I'd say bring back Brutes, but after Halo 4 and 5, I feel like the Prometheans are a bit exhausted and overdone, especially due to their wave type mechanic, Elites seem to be allies, so some other enemies are required.
- Brutes
- Some way to get the good old Covenant Elites back? I miss 'em as enemies
- Forerunner proper?
- The Flood?
- Primoridal / Gravemind
- Humans?
- AI - how would that work?
- ???
Either way I'm deffo a bit burned out on the Prometheans and robot enemies, and the I miss CE Elites - the best Elites IMO.

My current Halo FPS ranking is as follows

Halo CE >>>> Halo 3:ODST>>Halo3>Halo 4>>>Halo Reach>>Halo 2

Right now Halo 5 would likely go in between Halo 3 and Halo 4.

Will need to play Legendary though to really compare, and I'll probably go through MCC first.

My 2 cents!

I was digging every part of this game up until that Warden x 3 fight. Who thought that would be fun? They have a character that can 1-shot you in three different ways and they think it's a good idea to make you fight three of them.

I enjoyed this camapaign a lot more than any other Halo so I can't agree with some of the negativity. The complaint about the trailers and buildup to Halo 5 misrepresenting the story were fair. Locke isn't out to murder Chief. He's just there to bring him back and like 2/3 through the story they're already quasi buddies.

Just finished the campaign.

For most of the game, the anticipation for what came next made me keep going. I did not have issues with the lore because I read the comics and read the forerunner books which were still very much required reading.

They needed to really dive into Cortana. I don't get her motivation, not from where we last saw her. No mention of the Didact, Librarian or Halo escalation which I guess is the cannon explanation. Isn't the Iso-didact still alive somewhere as well?

Locke was not needed at all. It would have been totally fine to have Chief searching for Cortana since Locke was never really an adversary to begin with. I actually don't get his inclusion. He is incredibly boring, Buck saved those missions.

I thought 343 refuted the 80% playthrough as Osiris. I get sales and all that but playing as Osiris didn't teach me anything more about them or make me like them at all. I would have rather heard how Blue team go back together since we never see this onscreen,

I am hoping Emporer Cortana is some kind of orphaned fragment and the real one is out there somewhere.

Ledsen

I can't believe they went with the tired old traitor AI trope, complete with megalomaniacal speech Cortana and anime robots... Talk about uninspired and shoddily executed. So, so bad.

I have an idea of how 343i can write Halo 6 in such a way that if might just save the franchise.

First, they need to release a prologue to Halo 6, much like Kojima did with Ground Zeroes. This will establish both the mechanics and plot, for the game.

The following is the plot of the prologue to Halo 6:

You play as a flood spore. You, your wife and daughter all escape a deteriorating containment cell on a distant prototype Halo ring. You are the only survivors. You learn that this ring is special because it represents the most advanced communications and surveillance technology the Forerunners ever developed.

So you're this flood spore, you don't really have a goal in life anymore, so you decide to just find a better life for your family. You do the classic stuff; try and survive in a hostile environment, shelter from the dangers of the Halo ring's malfunctioning weather system and generally try and find somewhere suitable to settle down and live a humble life.

You go about your daily chores: tending to the fire and keeping warm, sweeping the porch of your weird, but respectable flood house, teaching your daughter how to read, watering the plants.

Life is hard, but you get by.

Soon, disaster strikes. Your wife was spotted, attacked and left for dead by a patrolling forerunner sentinel. It flys back to Halo HQ to tell the other sentinels that you're here. You learn from your dying wife that the sentinels plan to self destruct the halo ring.

"You must save Halo" she says as her dying breath.

You and your daughter are now in grave danger. You wanted a quiet life, but you realise the only way your daughter can survive is by infecting the local wildlife, building an army and taking control of the Halo ring.

Of course, this isn't easy. Eons ago - before you were in that containment cell, you were on the front lines of the Flood war against the Forerunners. The tragedies and horrors of war are still on your mind, and this internal conflict has scarred you for life. You come very close to giving up entirely, but you look into your daughter's eyes and see the same eyes of your wife, you must protect her to honour your wife's memory.

Your war is a great success. Eventually, as acting general of this new flood army (the flood spore now has a military badge pinned to it, and a general hat, no explanation) you manage to capture key strategic areas on the Halo ring, including its control room. You prevent Halo's self destruction and you, your daughter and your new friends can now live in peace.

Under your leadership, a new golden age ushers peace and prosperity for the flood, who pioneer exciting advances in the arts and culture. Everyone has impeccable taste and good story tellers are revered in your society. Also, your chief scientist invents a VHS player, neat!

And what luck! This forerunner surveillance array just happened to record the events of the entire Halo trilogy, and it's on VHS! Excited to learn about the history of the universe, you and all your flood friends huddle round to watch it.

It's a tremendous hit!

Everyone loves the Master Chief and Cortana, everything Sgt Johnson says is met with fits of laughter, and of course the Gravemind and his rhymes are a huge hit! There is uproar as you make make a cameo appearance in the background of one of the lore videos whilst fighting the forerunners, as the first flood celebrity you become a hero to your people!

Years pass, there's rumblings that the array has collected enough data to produce not one, but two new movies! And it's true! They both show up in the VHS section of this Halo ring's library, everyone is really excited!

But it wasn't what you expected.

Your daughter...she was so distraught after watching how poorly handled Halo 4 was, that her finely cultured mind could not process it, she jumped off the Halo ring and was never seen again.

Your people (mainly professional art critics) were equally aggrieved.

"Why were they fighting the covenant again? The original trilogy ended on such a beautiful, symbolic note. Why would they restart the covenant conflict and not explain who the splinter faction even were?"

"Why were the characters so horrendously written? I simply do not understand how the awful infinity crew staff could treat the chief in such a terrible way after he literally saved the Galaxy, it doesn't make any sense?"

"What was the deal with the Didact? He was such a boring villain, why would they get rid of the Gravemind for him? I feel marginalised!"

Your people are in dismay. It's now raining because that dickhead Gary from IT has been slacking off and the weather system is playing up again, your daughter is dead, and right about this time you realise you haven't had sex in years because your wife is dead as well.

"Oh woe is me" says the single flood spore to his chief scientist, "what do we do"?

"There is a way" he says. "Our people found something In the library, in between a copy of 'Gears of War - The Musical' and 'Horny Hunters 2' we found a forerunner blueprint for a time machine!

"Oh golly" replies the flood spore "does that mean?!"

"Yes. We can retcon the new Halo trilogy - everything will be as it was before. But the cost is great my lord, to access the rare materials needed for this project we will need to take over the entire galaxy."

Later that night, you sit in your study smoking your pipe, looking over the various photos taken over the course of the original halo trilogy.

"Everything will be at it was before" - you murmur to yourself.

You silently look at the picture of you and your family, your daughter is wearing a Halo 2 t-shirt, better times.

You understand that the consequences of this plan is great. It would mean war once more, the greatest one you have ever fought. Is the cost of enslaving the entire galaxy really worth it just to retcon Halo 4 and 5? Were they really that bad?

"I thought you'd be taller"

The word taller echoes in your mind.

"You must save Halo" - you hear the whisper of your wife's dying words once more.

It is settled.

You storm out of the study and find your chief scientist.

"Prepare us a spaceship my good man!".
"But where are we going?" The chief scientist replies.

You smile, knowing he will understand the reference.

"To war".

Halo 6 - Finish the fight.

-----------------------------

This game would be great, you and your flood army get to destroy and consume everything 343i have introduced into the universe. The Didact, the Infinity, Agent Locke, Sarah Palmer, everything.

The final confrontation would be against the Master Chief, but as you are now the Gravemind you once again convince him to join your cause for the sake of the bigger picture.

In the last scene you play as the chief, you get to make the decision whether to activate the time machine.

Just finished the game, Locke might be the worst and most dull character I've ever played in a video game, I seriously challenge anyone to name a character with less personality. Then we are stuck playing with him in what seemed like most of the game.

The gameplay was great but the Warden boss over and over and over again, can't think of a more obvious sign of a developer running out of ideas and time.

Ending: buy Halo 6. I really hate that I predicted such an unsatisfactory ending was coming, but I won't complain because I got the game for $15 at a sale at Meijers. I didn't have an issue with the 6 hour length on normal, because by the 5 hour point I was ready for the game to be over as the game was just giving me wave after wave of enemies instead of a new experience. It was kind of humorous how I'd watch a cut scene and that would be a mission, I think there were a couple "missions" like that.

I'd give the game a 6.5/7. I have no interest in multiplayer so your score will likely be higher if you're into that. My interest in Halo 6 is close to zero after playing this but I'll pick it again in the sub $20 range like I did with this, I would have felt bad paying any more

This is exactly why 343 tried to branch off of Chief.

In this huge and wonderful universe known as Halo, you can't keep relying on one character to do literally everything and drive the story. There are plenty of other cool people in this universe, and I am glad that we got to see some.

I'm personally overjoyed that we got a mainline Halo game where Chief wasn't the star, really mixed things up.

I agree with you completely, but here is the problem... they replaced him with Locke, in the running for worst lead character ever

I can't believe they went with the tired old traitor AI trope, complete with megalomaniacal speech Cortana and anime robots... Talk about uninspired and shoddily executed. So, so bad.

I got through the campaign. Glad I didn't buy it. Am not buying Halo 6. I am happy for the people that liked it, but Halo is not a reason for me to own an Xbox anymore. Glad Spencer and co. seem intent on making new IP

iExplicit

Looking back on this thread, oh man. Has the consensus on the campaign changed yet or do we still agree marketing was incredibly misleading and we expected an entirely different game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Looking back on this thread, oh man. Has the consensus on the campaign changed yet or do we still agree marketing was incredibly misleading and we expected an entirely different game?

Regardless if it was misleading or not, it was severely disappointing and just poor overall. The weakest in the franchise, and that's almost impressive considering Halo 4.

Toa TAK

Banned
This campaign is still the weakest mode of an otherwise fantastic game, marketing or not. Though I feel Halo vets should've been used to misleading ads by now (Believe, We Are ODST, etc).

golem

I dont really care that the marketing was 'misleading' to some. It's marketing.

The story itself was pretty disappointing however

Top Bottom