• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

dukebluto

Neo Member
I followed the steps here but didn't get any fifth giggle, even starting again vhs. What worked was replaying vhs and opening pot, microwave and fridge, and opening the drawer with the lockpick... I wonder how could anyone on his own figure out every single step! Had a lot of fun though.

Edit: I did all the things Inside the tape, just realized it might not be that obvious :D

Skab

For those of us out of the loop (I just now got to play the update for the first time) is there some place that has a walk through of all the things found in this version of the demo?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's a step to step guide.

Here was an uncut longplay from me of figuring it all out on stream (but this is just the PS4/Twitch stream, wasn't the Hitbox stream where you see me looking at GAF and stuff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZt1_vq_egc

This video is still processing at the time of writing, but you can find my blind reaction to finding the first clue and running off to tell GAF and Reddit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YACLYKaiwFQ

Since I was at it for a while with a bigger stream audience, I can blab and tell the other big points of interest from it. I think everything but the last giggle is pretty much 100% figured out.

So, so far, is there anything that involves super obscure things like speaking into a microphone or the stuff that was in PT? I played last night, and I didn't even know there was
a gun
. I thought you were just supposed to get killed by that thing. I would be willing to give it another go to try and figure stuff out, but I'm not sitting through that annoying tape section again if the answers are all mega obscure.

bumpkin

Sorry to ask as it's probably been covered, but want to play this demo without spoilers....

How many endings are there in total? Just had a quick play through and managed to get the True ending (bit of a letdown), but never got the gun so I'm going to have another go and see if I can find any other endings..

1. Bad ending
  2. True Ending
  3. ???
Infected is another.

Also, this demo is fucking amazing in VR! This is what they should have put on the demo disc instead of Kitchen. Sony and Capcom dropped the ball as far as giving PSVR buyers a taste of what the game is like, IMHO. In Beginning Hour, the image quality is great, there's substance to it, there's actual worthwhile interaction, and it's creepy as fuck. Leagues better than Kitchen.

Here's what I did exacrly:

Wake up, grab fuse, place fuse in fuse box, get notebook from new area, get dummy finger, get bolt cutters, get vhs, go into vhs, get lockpick and unlock drawer in VHS, finish vhs and grab back door key, grab axe, go to attic, get bullets out of box, get basement key, get bullets under bed, get hand behind TVs, read wall and get first giggle, combine hand and finger, point hand at fallen wardrobe below the clock at foot of stairs, go to dead end hallway in attic to trigger second giggle, go to basement grabbing bullets off shelf on the way, at foot of basement stairs grab lockpick on the left, point hand at head of dead body on gurney, grab valve, run to door and kick it twice to get out, immediately go back in run to back and grab attic key, go to bathroom grab both things of bullets and use valve to get gun, go to painting of bag lady on stairs hold L2 and take a powerful swing at it to get third giffle, go under stairs and point hand at boarded up door, face mirror right outside hold back and press circle to do a quick turn and trigger fourth giggle, point hand at blue and white wires in attic by bed, go to basement and crouch by doll on the floor and look at it. It didn't work for me here so I went through vhs world again, picked up vhs lockpick but didn't use it then went back toydoll and it worked. Then point hand at pot on kitchen table and go to bloody hand door in attic.
This helped a lot. Thanks!

Going through the VHS a second time and picking up the lockpick didn't work for me, though. I had to go through a third time, and that time I only interacted with the pot.

Bl@de

So I played it for a little bit (don't want to play too much for now. I will in January^^). Really like it, especially the first glimpse of combat

but ...

I really need an FOV slider and always run toggle for this game (the slow walking is nice for discovering something new ... but in the end we always ran across the mansion^^). I know they want a claustrophobic feeling. But that's just making me dizzy (even in front of a TV where a narrow FOV is fine). It's also the reason I will definetly go PC for this game. Game will look great on the PS4 Pro but console usually don't have FOV options. Really hope that it will be a feature day one (I don't want to wait for patches and mods).

majik13

Ok, played in VR, yes this is the future. Really dug it and didn't have any comfort issue, very cool being able to peek around corners and out doors, very immersive. Only played once, I looked everywhere, but didnt find any of these secret hidden items. Will have to play again once the this is 100% figured out.

Random question for you guys in here. Does PSVR work on PC?

Yes and No, you can easily hook it up to a PC with just the processor box and get a full image of the desktop on PSVR. There is a mac program that lets you watch VR videos, with headtracking (not sure if its been ported to other platforms) Dont think anyone has gotten actual positional tracking working with the camera though.

This helped a lot. Thanks!

Going through the VHS a second time and picking up the lockpick didn't work for me, though. I had to go through a third time, and that time I only interacted with the pot.

I just got the coin--had to go through VHS a third time and I only interacted with the pot on last attempt as well. Don't really know what triggers that 5th giggle but it did work for me. I also opened all the stuff in the kitchen in the real world before I got the last giggle.

Thanks for all the tips guys--I'm amazed you figured it out so fast

Caffeine

ok ye only grabbed lockpick in vhs and took it with me. approached the doll crouched and it giggled right here.
Cy2Vs0qUsAACaZ3.jpg:large

roytheone

Is the phone ending patched out? Played the demo for the first time, looked at a guide how to get the phone ending, but the phone never rings?

Kinsei

Banned
So we still have no clue what we have to do to trigger the fifth giggle? I've done every combination of things you can do in the VHS and still got no giggle.

Kazuhira

So I played it for a little bit (don't want to play too much for now. I will in January^^). Really like it, especially the first glimpse of combat

but ...

I really need an FOV slider and always run toggle for this game (the slow walking is nice for discovering something new ... but in the end we always ran across the mansion^^). I know they want a claustrophobic feeling. But that's just making me dizzy (even in front of a TV where a narrow FOV is fine). It's also the reason I will definetly go PC for this game. Game will look great on the PS4 Pro but console usually don't have FOV options. Really hope that it will be a feature day one (I don't want to wait for patches and mods).

Glad to know that i'm not the only one who feels that the fov is too small,opening doors and shooting feels claustrophobic.
I think we will able to tweak it on the pc version one way or another.

Dusk Golem

Is the phone ending patched out? Played the demo for the first time, looked at a guide how to get the phone ending, but the phone never rings?

This is something that's made me confused too, the phone serves zero purpose in the current build of the demo. It plays a role in the actual RE7, and this build of the demo is what's going to the Xbox One later this week and PC in a couple of weeks, but the phone is missing all functionality as far as I can tell, which is peculiar.

I'm not going to go on a big ole hunt, but there may be some more secrets. Capcom did claim the demo had quite a few secrets, I'm surprised we discovered and solved the Giggle/Murder Spot puzzle stuff so quickly, but there's a chance there might be a few other minor secrets. In the bathroom there's a wall full of pictures of missing people, who I assume are supposed to be the people the Baker's kidnapped and turned into Moulded. Near this there's a lot of paper on the ground near the basement entrance and in the drawer next to the basement. The handwriting is scrawled and the papers are small so it's a bit hard to make out, but each has something unique written on it and I think it might be the Baker's who write it. One of them says on it, "Where's my Mower?," which reminds me of the weapon we see Jack use in the B-Roll footage from the recent RE7 preview stuff.

There's just some misc details that might just be there for detail and serves no deeper purpose, or visual things to offer hints and clues to the full game, like the picture above the fireplace show a younger (presumably human) Baker family, in the new hall by the basement there's some pictures including one of a spider (and notably there's a lot of added cobwebs on the ceiling in the demo I noticed in previous areas), there's the three angel statues in the bathroom of different colors, in the bathroom in a creak of one of the cabinets you can find the corpse of a decaying rat, etc.

It all might just be visual details that lead to nothing, or to something. But the thing that makes me think there's something we've all missed is because the phone lacks any kind of purpose in the new demo, and that just strikes me as strange.

Dusk Golem

Re-watching what I did, it might be picking up the pot lid, picking up the lockpick (but not using it)? I didn't trigger any ghosts to my knowledge and I kind of just did what Pete wanted me to (recorded him under the picture frame, picked up the pot lid when he asked me to), only things I really did and then it worked when I went back to the doll.

I had MUCH earlier picked up and used the backdoor key to open the back door (but didn't go through), and I never looked at the paper note since some think that has to do with it.

I couldn't for the life of me get the doll to work initially, but then I went to the VHS world and completed it, all of note I did was lift the pot lid when Pete asked, pick up the lockpick but not use it, and film Pete under the flower picture when he asked. And then I finished the VHS sequence (I did rattle the door to the new area in the VHS sequence as Pete goes into the TV room) and then went straight to the doll after I did this and it worked immediately.

Caffeine

Re-watching what I did, it might be picking up the pot lid, picking up the lockpick (but not using it)? I didn't trigger any ghosts to my knowledge and I kind of just did what Pete wanted me to (recorded him under the picture frame, picked up the pot lid when he asked me to), only things I really did and then it worked when I went back to the doll.

I had MUCH earlier picked up and used the backdoor key to open the back door (but didn't go through), and I never looked at the paper note since some think that has to do with it.

oh ye i didnt look at the paper note the last time but did the others, I had the back door key in my inventory when it giggled.

Dusk Golem

Also, should we make a new topic about solving the RE7 demo puzzle now that it's been solved? I'm thinking about it since some may not be aware and all that.

liquidtmd

Banned
Also, should we make a new topic about solving the RE7 demo puzzle now that it's been solved? I'm thinking about it since some may not be aware and all that.

I would say yes do it, since we've now got

A) A full demo
B) A complete walkthrough and 'completion'
C) The impending Xbox and PC release

Mods, what say ye?

Dusk Golem

What does the coin do though...

When you complete the demo with any ending with the coin in your possession, it tells you to keep the demo save file, if you have the demo save file that got the coin and play RE7, it will transfer the Old Coin to Resident Evil 7 main game itself. The coin is also different than the other coins we know of in RE7 (the design is a bit different and it's moldy), and the other coins are used to unlock bird cages with weapons, supplies, upgrades, etc. in them, my guess is that it probably unlocks some exclusive item in RE7.

labx

Banned

I follow almost all your blind walkthrough. You should do a thread like the one on Reddit step by step for all the people. And had a lot of fun. You should do the same with the game in January.

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned, or helpful this is, but apparently you don't need to go through the VHS for the lockpick/axe anymore. You can get the lockpick for the axe in the basement, just before the door with the new enemy.

Dusk Golem

Hmm, since I plan on getting the full game on pc, I should probably wait with a coin run until the pc demo is out.

PC is the version I have pre-ordered right now as well (Deluxe and all), so I know the feeling. Will have to do this all again when the PC version hits so I get the item in RE7. But at least I know what to do now.

I follow almost all your blind walkthrough. You should do a thread like the one on Reddit step by step for all the people. And had a lot of fun. You should do the same with the game in January.

I am thinking of doing the thread, and trust me, RE7 is currently my most anticipated game so of course I'll be streaming that. My plan is to do two playthroughs in a row, first one to play the game on Normal and the second one to play the game through on Madhouse Mode. I've debated doing Madhouse first, but after seeing how much I sucked at the combat in the demo I think I might do normal first. XD;

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned, or helpful this is, but apparently you don't need to go through the VHS for the lockpick/axe anymore. You can get the lockpick for the axe in the basement, just before the door with the new enemy.

This is true, but in case you needed the second lockpick I always used the VHS lockpick to keep the real world lockpick in my inventory, but never found a use for it.

When you complete the demo with any ending with the coin in your possession, it tells you to keep the demo save file, if you have the demo save file that got the coin and play RE7, it will transfer the Old Coin to Resident Evil 7 main game itself. The coin is also different than the other coins we know of in RE7 (the design is a bit different and it's moldy), and the other coins are used to unlock bird cages with weapons, supplies, upgrades, etc. in them, my guess is that it probably unlocks some exclusive item in RE7.

Oh okay, I knew about the coins and cages, but didn't see how this tied in. I saw someone mention earlier that there was no way to save the demo's progress. Now it makes sense.

Dusk Golem

If it doesn't unlock the dummy hand in RE7 though, I'll be disappointed.

Then we can finger through the whole game.

Dusk Golem

Wait, did the demo update? What's happening.

Final demo update released yesterday, has several new areas and the first
monster
. Also had new endings, but then people found a trail of a deeper secret and we followed it, and over the course of 7-10 hours solved it, and got an exclusive item for RE7.

Rndm

Simply because I got a bit frustrated and came here for help I'll share what finally worked for me:

I replayed the VHS multiple times. When I got the laugh I only opened the pod in the VHS section, sprinted down and looked at the doll. Nothing special, no ghost, no lockpick, nothing.

I did various other things inside and outside of the VHS before and I do honestly have no idea why it worked this time. I triggered all things, got all bullets, didn't get hit, shot the doll out of frustration, my pod was open when playing the VHS, I had the backdoor key, But I still cannot imagine that opening the pod in the VHS section is really it. It's too random and even though you need the pod to solve the riddle, you don't know about it until you trigger the laugh.

I'm just glad I'm done with this, good luck to everyone trying to get it as well. Let's hope it'll do something cool in the main game (I'd love for it to open a small secret room in the final game)

Top Bottom