• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify app for PS3/4 was installed by more than 1.5M people in 24 hours

martino

hmm should I tell him his math is wrong guys?

2% out of 20M isn't 1.5M

hum 95 millions units sold ps3/4 combined....
1.5 million
redo your math.

It's not downplaying...number is not that big for a free downloadable stuff launching worldwide (or pretty much) on a 95 millions units hardware park

1.5 million
redo your math.

It's not downplaying...number is not that big for a free downloadable stuff launching worldwide (or pretty much) on a 95 millions units hardware park

It didn't launch worldwide though, so not the 95 millions counted redo math again.

Hi everyone! In January, we announced PlayStation Music, a new music destination that brings Spotify to PS4, PS3, and Xperia mobile devices in 41 markets around the world. This exclusive partnership brings the best in music and the best in gaming together on PlayStation Network, and I am thrilled to announce that Spotify on PlayStation Music is coming to PS4 and PS3 today!

martino

2% out of 20M isn't 1.5M

didnt-read.gif

app launched ps3 and ps4.

martino

It didn't launch worldwide though, so not the 95 millions counted redo math again.

lol...SDF nitpicking in action .
if i were counting 95 millions i would have said less than 1.6%.

but the exact number matter not...the point is it's not that big for a free app considering it's ps3/4

ps4 only would have made it impressive.

if i were counting 95 million i would have less than 1.6%.

but the exact number matter not...the point is it's not that big for a free app considering it's ps3/4

SDF nitpicking? I'm not the one downplaying a spotify news article.

Even if it was a free download and less than 2% of total hardware attach rate. They were happy enough to post about it.

LAA

I wouldn't even say it was a feature that interested me at first, but I was very impressed indeed. To just press X on a music track and it plays instantly, literally and no problems with playback.
Only areas for improvement is the "my music" section. No organisation there, just one long list of tracks. Needs album sorting or artist or whatever.

frizby

Didn't expect this thread to be so salty!

Anyway, I'm new to Spotify, and I love how well it's integrated into the PS4 at the system level. All of the volume/skip/pause controls are right there in the quick menu when you hold the PS button. I was able to balance the volumes on the fly for the game I was playing, the party chat I was in and Spotify on the first night with virtually zero learning curve. And last night, I learned that I can control everything on my PS4 from my phone, which is even more glorious.

This is probably my second favorite new gen feature right behind headset audio, and I am absolutely in love with everything about it.

Warframe plus Star Wars themes is the business. :)

BokehKing

Banned
I finally downloaded it to my cell, been making a creepy sound effect mix for Bloodborne, a 'roller rink' playlist of 80's songs for GTA
Have a feeling this will prompt me to buy Driveclub now

Vaga

Very cool app, got it to work on the PS4 and my HTC One (controlling everything without pausing the game is fantastic) although it's not available in my country.

Lemondish

1.5 million
redo your math.

In a single day when the launch announcement and release occurred simultaneously?

Seems pretty decent to me.

I finally downloaded it to my cell, been making a creepy sound effect mix for Bloodborne, a 'roller rink' playlist of 80's songs for GTA
Have a feeling this will prompt me to buy Driveclub now

You will not regret that purchase.

awesome app, even with the free version and the ads.

my playlist is skyrocketing in size
being able to control the app with my phone while on my PS4 is incredible. DriveClub while playing my metal music and fair to midland and shit is just so good

red731

I registered on Spotify the day it went out on PS4
Downloaded phone app
Installed it on work and home PCs
Registered for 30day Premium

Listening to music from Spotify right now.

Nothing of this would happen if there was no PS4 app.

The app is pretty awesome. I really like that you can control it when hold down the PS button. It's a game changer when it comes to farming in Bloodborne.

martino

In a single day when the launch announcement and release occurred simultaneously?

Seems pretty decent to me.

You will not regret that purchase.

decent i'm agree.
For remember this world is not binary for everybody and i said it's not astonishing.
I didn't say it's bad.

I use twitch on PS4 breh

Live from Playstation shows Twitch streams as far as I know.

I downloaded this program and trying Spotify for the first time in my life, It's pretty nice and can see why lot of people like it.

When you stream from PS4 you can choose to stream to Ustream or Twitch.
What are you talking about, man?

lol, i love how certain you sound.

Live from Playstation are only stream froms a PS4.

I want an app where I can watch everything. Sorry if I am mistaken.

Ricky_R

My broadband sucks and my wireless signal is not that great where my PS4 is on, but the app worked perfectly for me.

It's definitely nice to have, although I normally don't like to listen to any music while I play other than the one the game offers.

I downloaded it just to try it out, I'm not a fan of music streaming services due to the lack of quality. Still nice to have I guess.

I registered on Spotify the day it went out on PS4
Downloaded phone app
Installed it on work and home PCs
Registered for 30day Premium

Listening to music from Spotify right now.

Nothing of this would happen if there was no PS4 app.

This is basically me, except i havent signed up for premium. I must admit having to shuffle on mobile is a pain but when i can just use a discography playlist i dont mind so much.

Really useful app though, saves having to worry about space on my phone etc which is always a plus.

Business

The UI is lacking but then again the phone/tablet controls solve it. I think ditching Music Unlimited for this was a great move by Sony.

Glad it came to PS4 for those who are interested (I use it at work on my desktop) .. but how about folks who don't want the download icon stuck in the menu next to our most recent played game? Anyone know how / if it can be removed?

wachie

if i were counting 95 millions i would have said less than 1.6%.

ps4 only would have made it impressive.
80739-supernatural-demmuyw.gif

Pillville

So less than 2% of sold hardware...not astonishing big if is you see the number this way.

... in the first 24 hours.

How many owners didn't even have their PS3/4 on yesterday?
How many PS3/4 aren't connected to internet?
How many PS3s are still hooked up at all (replaced by PS4, in pawn shop, broken, etc...)?

Mung

So less than 2% of sold hardware...not astonishing big if is you see the number this way.

I wonder what the active userbase is. Not 95 million I'm guessing. Either way, whether you're impressed with the numbers or not doesn't matter.

rambis

Banned
1.5 million
redo your math.

Its pointless to do math considering all the numbers we don't have. One you is probably don't know is that only around 40% of PS3s are connected to PSN. That 95 million you keep trying to parade around is significantly less.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's a 9 meg file that I downloaded since I was on my PS4 last night anyway and the icon appeared prominently in my launcher with a quick link to the download. Of course I downloaded it...haven't done much with it yet though. That'll have to wait until I decide what kind of account I'd prefer to setup.

Never sure what to make of day 1 download numbers for apps like this. I don't think it portrays an unprecedented or even just unexpected level of interest, by any means.

Jburton

Banned
Those who think its a poor number ....... ok.

Those who think its a good number ....... ok.

The rest of us dont care, they are happy and told us so, and there it is.

Awful lot of bitching over nothing in this thread.

not every game; it auto deactivates my music in Bloodborne for instance. may be a game to game case

The spotify app mutes in-game music aswell, and continues the in-game music once you pause spotify.

It does mute the music though. Some games apparently dont but it does when the game allows it.

Ahh, I see. I only tried it on FIFA, so that must not be one of the supported games. Thanks guys.

... in the first 24 hours.

How many owners didn't even have their PS3/4 on yesterday?
How many PS3/4 aren't connected to internet?
How many PS3s are still hooked up at all (replaced by PS4, in pawn shop, broken, etc...)?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear there are more active PS4's than PS3's.

Top Bottom