• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

Exentryk

I love Yoko Taro to have big budget but as long as they don't take away his creative freedom. I don't want SE force him to make Automata sequel. If Taro wants to make whole new IP then he should have freedom to do so.

Not worried about that. Taro does what he wants, and he has Saito's support for it.

sasliquid

I didn't particularly like Automata as most people on this forum did but I always welcome more big budget games that actually go out of their way to try and say something

Exentryk

Onwards to the big leagues!

fgFsCbK.gif

Korigama

While I'm glad that Nier: Automata was successful, I don't see this announcement as a cause for celebration. If anything, the idea of SE wanting to focus attention on making it a "significant franchise" fills me with dread, because I picture them using this as an excuse to marginalize Taro Yoko and turn the series into the same poorly planned, visionless tripe that Final Fantasy has devolved into starting with XIII and continued to be with XV (XIV getting salvaged with ARR is nice, but it still doesn't solve the problem of regular single-player FF being crap now). The same sort of executive meddling that plagued Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also seems plausible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Extrapolating what I wrote on twitter: Nier without Yoko Taro is undesirable, and Yoko Taro chained to Nier would be a tragic waste. Nier does not need to be franchised. I know Square Enix will do so, it's inevitable in capitalism. And I expect Taro to work on future projects related to the "franchise", along with Platinum. And I expect them to be good. But it still does not need to happen, and both Taro and Platinum as artists deserve to be given the freedom and flexibility to explore new titles.

I'm also aware that Nier: Automata is technically the fifth entry in a greater franchise, but the divergences between Nier and Drakengard in play and vision don't fully unify them as a "franchise" in my opinion. Not in the way I guarantee Square-Enix defines a franchise.

And look, Taro continually getting work is a great thing. But yeah. We don't need "more Nier". We need more Taro, and we need him to be given as much free reign as possible. I'm glad Automata explored so much new territory without the original anchoring it too heavily. But this won't last forever when a monolithic publisher starts throwing around the word "franchise". What fans need is a Taro who is given the opportunity to explore his ideas freely. That's what gave is Nier and Automata. And to be honest, I don't really give a shit about Nier as a "franchise" beyond what Taro is able to contribute.

Stop concern trolling, theres literally no reason to think this is bad news. Every doomsday scenario you guys have come up with is backed up with nothing but your own anecdotal evidence of how you dont like <X> game from a completely unrelated series.

Ferr986

Stop concern trolling, theres literally no reason to think this is bad news. Every doomsday scenario you guys have come up with is backed up with nothing but your own anecdotal evidence of how you dont like <X> game from a completely unrelated series.

Stop pretending anyone that has a different opinion is trolling.

I do truly believe Nier doesn't need to be a franchise. I mean, Nier was created with that idea on mind, instead of just being Drakengard 3.

Also I still feel is reasonable to be corncerned, look how much FF is milked, there's spin off everywhere. Of course that doesn't mean Nier will get the same treament (not as big of an IP) but I think it's fair to have doubts on how SE will handle the IP.

I'm happy about NieR's success. I just hope they don't run it into the ground.

Extrapolating what I wrote on twitter: Nier without Yoko Taro is undesirable, and Yoko Taro chained to Nier would be a tragic waste. Nier does not need to be franchised. I know Square Enix will do so, it's inevitable in capitalism. And I expect Taro to work on future projects related to the "franchise", along with Platinum. And I expect them to be good. But it still does not need to happen, and both Taro and Platinum as artists deserve to be given the freedom and flexibility to explore new titles.

I'm also aware that Nier: Automata is technically the fifth entry in a greater franchise, but the divergences between Nier and Drakengard in play and vision don't fully unify them as a "franchise" in my opinion. Not in the way I guarantee Square-Enix defines a franchise.

And look, Taro continually getting work is a great thing. But yeah. We don't need "more Nier". We need more Taro, and we need him to be given as much free reign as possible. I'm glad Automata explored so much new territory without the original anchoring it too heavily. But this won't last forever when a monolithic publisher starts throwing around the word "franchise". What fans need is a Taro who is given the opportunity to explore his ideas freely. That's what gave is Nier and Automata. And to be honest, I don't really give a shit about Nier as a "franchise" beyond what Taro is able to contribute.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stop concern trolling.

I'm not. I'm ecstatic that Taro continues to get work, and has found monumental success in an impossible sequel that has sold well beyond expectations. And I'm equally glad that Platinum's partnership did little to diminish Taro's work and instead assist in his success. Automata is a strong contender for my favourite game of the year so far.

But I don't trust Square Enix for shit. I don't need or want games existing because it has a name and it's cool and we need more Nier because reasons. Taro is magnificent and inventive and unique and like all artists of his calibre he doesn't just deserve success but publishers that support his unique viewpoint and direction, and more importantly allow him to explore this. Same goes for Platinum.

Repetition and stagnation are the antithesis to artists. I'm over the moon that Square respected and supported Taro and Platinum and saw Automata through to this unexpected success. But "franchise" is not a creative term, and I legitimately do not give a shit about more Nier when Nier is now a name that makes people a lot of money, and that is exclusively why it is being referred to as a "significant franchise".

Korigama

Except I'm not ("concern trolling" also tends to be such a quick go-to for people who wish to discredit anyone who disagrees with them, as though the person they're arguing against would be dishonest enough to only pretend to care about the thing they're discussing). Square Enix mishandling other IPs in the past is all the reason I need to believe they have a good chance of doing the same with this one in their pursuit to maximize profits.
I'm not. I'm ecstatic that Taro continues to get work, and has found monumental success in an impossible sequel that has sold well beyond expectations. And I'm equally glad that Platinum's partnership did little to diminish Taro's work and instead assist in his success. Automata is a strong contender for my favourite game of the year so far.

But I don't trust Square Enix for shit. I don't need or want games existing because it has a name and it's cool and we need more Nier because reasons. Taro is magnificent and inventive and unique and like all artists of his calibre he doesn't just deserve success but publishers that support his unique viewpoint and direction, and more importantly allow him to explore this. Same goes for Platinum.

Repetition and stagnation are the antithesis to artists. I'm over the moon that Square respected and supported Taro and Platinum and saw Automata through to this unexpected success. But "franchise" is not a creative term, and I legitimately do not give a shit about more Nier when Nier is now a name that makes people a lot of money, and that is exclusively why it is being referred to as a "significant franchise".
Summed up much better than what I managed.

Hektor

Square has already peddled severely with his past games, all three of them.

For Drakengard 1 he was forced to turn his ace combat game into a dynasty warriors title because square demanded it.

He was also forced to scrap half of it because square didn't wanted to publish it on two discs

For Nier he was forced to scrap the entire script during development because square thought its too dark and alienating.

And for Drakengard 3 he supposedly wasn't even on board of the development team until some time through.

And they all turned out to be amazing games.

For automata he - at least based on what we know - had more free reign than ever, and it turned out to be his most successful game ever.

So successful even that square allowed him to repurpose his scrapped Nier script into a new mobile game.

I really don't see any reason for this to be a bad news. He's made outstanding games while under square leash and made his most commercially successful one while unrestrained.

The only thing I can see is square forcing him to use the Nier moniker for all of his future titles which can easily be circumvented by caking them Nier; Drakengard or Nier: Thou Shalt Not Die

Gbraga

For Nier he was forced to scrap the entire script during development because square thought its too dark and alienating.

So successful even that square allowed him to repurpose his scrapped Nier script into a new mobile game.

Can you tell me more about this? I don't think I've read about the original script before, or at least I don't remember. What's the story and setting for the mobile game?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

For Drakengard 1 he was forced to turn his ace combat game into a dynasty warriors title because square demanded it.

He was also forced to scrap half of it because square didn't wanted to publish it on two discs

And for Drakengard 3 he supposedly wasn't even on board of the development team until some time through.

For automata he - at least based on what we know - had more free reign than ever, and it turned out to be his most successful game ever.

I really don't see any reason for this to be a bad news. He's made outstanding games while under square leash and made his most commercially successful one while unrestrained.

The only thing I can see is square forcing him to use the Nier moniker for all of his future titles which can easily be circumvented by caking them Nier; Drakengard or Nier: Thou Shalt Not Die

Hah, that's a good point actually. Automata was probably his least fucked with title.

In the end I sorta trust taro to not retread old ground?

ratsuki

In ideal world, Square Enix will continue to be generous employer, giving Yoko Taro his budget, arranging good development team for him, and let him make his game.

In reality we most likely will get another Drakengard 2 situation.

Anyway, congrats to Yoko Taro for a well deserved recognition! He is different kind of auteur compared to Nomura or Kojima, but still a great(ly weird) one.

Hektor

Can you tell me more about this? I don't think I've read about the original script before, or at least I don't remember. What's the story and setting for the mobile game?

In the original Nier you were trapped in a library (probably the reason Niers village has a giant one in the center)

In said library you experienced the story of a bunch of despaired fairytale characters like Pinocchio and little red hood trying to revive their dead creator.

The mobile game has that exact plot (minus the library part I think. update: see post below)

Those infos are from grimoire nier

ys45

While I'm very happy to see the game having so much success I am not sure making this into a franchise is a good idea.

Nier is the kind of game that is special and that appears once every few years.
If they start milking it, it will do like Souls games (souls fatigue anyone?)

But a part of me would like one more sequel after reading END GAME SPOILER ALERT
The Emil weapon description/story that is in the future

Gbraga

In the original Nier you were trapped in a library (probably the reason Niers village has a giant one in the center)

In said library you experienced the story of a bunch of despaired fairytale characters like Pinocchio and little red hood trying to revive their dead creator.

The mobile game has that exact plot (minus the library part I think)

Those infps are from grimoire nier

Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

Koozek

So, uh, I'm going to do the worst thing possible and link to myself because, internally, I feel pretty much exactly as I did then externally.

Holy shit. Completely and utterly unbelievable. Nier is a major franchise. What.
Ach was, ich wusste gar nicht, dass du auch hier bist. Servus! Enjoyed your interviews with Taro a while ago and also your scathing but on-point review of FFXV's narrative flaws on the AeB podcast :D What's your current opinion on FFXV's post-launch development, btw?

Gbraga

I feel like the most likely ending to lead to a sequel is D, but it's even more likely that a sequel will take place either before the first game or between Nier and Automata.

matmanx1

Go, Nier and go, go Yoko Taro. I've had special feelings for that game ever since the first one came out and completely blew me away. I really hope this means the first one gets a proper remake and a PC release at some point in the future.

Between nier automata, final fantasy 15, and project octopath traveler it seems square enix has really found a stride this generation of excellent jrpgs.

Shahadan

Yeah we've danced that dance before.
Much like his games, this will not have a happy ending.

Still glad for him and platinum though

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm excited for a bright Nier future but afraid SE will most definitely start milking it and throw it to the shitter with spin offs and mobile games.

Good ol' Square is back, I mean they're Square-Enix but you get the idea.

I need to play this game at some point as soon as FFXIV gets boring.

dr_rus

I wouldn't worry too much, it's Square Enix, they'll run this "franchise" right into the ground with the next installment, as they already did with sequels to DXHR and TR2013.

Oh good, so now they'll try to turn it into an overproduced, episodic cash machine with microtransactions, special editions, extra content, randomized loot boxes, pre-order bonuses galore, retailer-specific exclusives, and two sets of in-game currencies.

Just great.

Oh good, so now they'll try to turn it into an overproduced, episodic cash machine with microtransactions, special editions, extra content, randomized loot boxes, pre-order bonuses galore, retailer-specific exclusives, and two sets of in-game currencies.

Just great.

Drakengard 3 had garbage DLC gouging already.

Hektor

Just great.

As snausagesUK already pointed out, been there, done that

It literally can't get worse than selling the original voice acting as DLC

LotusHD

Banned

Say it again for the people in the back please, y'all cynical as hell lol

LordKasual

Banned
LET

THEM

DO

SOMETHING

ELSE

PLEASE

Best thing for Square Enix right now would be if BD2 and the Nier team just got free reign to make whatever the hell they wanted, like back during the PS1 Squaresoft era

BTA

Excellent, as long as Taro's involved.

Haven't even played Automata yet but I'm loving the original currently and am excited to get to it in a few months.

I wonder if GAFers here would have their minds blown if it turns out that Yoko Taro wants to do another NieR and Square Enix had no involvement in his decision. Some might not believe it here!

At the end of the day we'll never know what the future brings.

BaconHat

Just great.

I think Automata already had a special edition and preorder bonus. As for the rest, i guess it is possible, but i really hope after all of the games meddling that square did to Yoko on his less successful games that they learned that trying to meddle in his ideas is a detriment to the final product.

I wonder if GAFers here would have their minds blown if it turns out that Yoko Taro wants to do another NieR and Square Enix had no involvement in his decision. Some might not believe it here!

At the end of the day we'll never know what the future brings.

How can Square Enix have no involvement on that? At the end of the day they are the ones in charge.

Top Bottom