• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

What post >_> <_<

TBF it was mostly to make a funny first post.
Too late!
tumblr_mc3xl2588O1r1mr1po1_500.gif

Sorry I'll get back on topic!

BriGuy

I definitely want more Nier, but SE has a reputation for turning their major franchises into overwrought, design-by-committee crap. I would rather have no Nier than Cup Noodles Nier.

Yeah I don't know that Nier is necessarily a property that will benefit from being turned into a "franchise" of games with more money given to it's development, along with more expectations, both from SE and from consumers.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all posting asses when you should be posting OST tracks

NieR: Automata OST - A Beautiful Song (Opera Boss Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKskuvJTcs

NieR: Automata OST - The End of YoRHa (Possbile ending spoilers here in comments)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLAvHLQGOco

NieR: Automata OST - Sound of the End (Dynamic - Vocals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5YChAFjxks

NieR: Automata OST - City Ruins (Dynamic - Vocals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx0U9UsUgpI

Worship on the alter of Keiichi Okabe, be not distracted by asses

Nerokis

Please start with bringing the original to modern hardware.

And instead of calling it Nier Remastered or whatever, call it Nier 3 for some strange, existential reason.

Golnei

I'm not sure if platinum would want to make a Gaas, wasn't that what killed scalebound?

With Lost Order, they kind of already are. I do think that with Platinum, any sort of service game would be more towards the mobile side of things - but then again, given Nier's success as a low-budget singleplayer title, future collaborations might only result in it being a 'service game' in the sense of being a singleplayer console game which receives continuous DLC.

And then there's the other obvious aspects - it might not be Platinum, and what they want isn't as important as what publishers are willing to pay for.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Good news. Funny that Automata is the one that brought recognition, because I liked the original Nier a lot more, but I still enjoyed Automata quite a bit. Looking forward to what they have planned for another entry.

ffvorax

Nice! Now please, do a decent discount on it! I want to play it without spending more than 35€!
That's the max I usually pay a game, I buy full price only on day one and only in certain circumstances... so I refuse to pay it >40€ right now.... :/

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Good news. Funny that Automata is the one that brought recognition, because I liked the original Nier a lot more, but I still enjoyed Automata quite a bit. Looking forward to what they have planned for another entry.

I enjoyed both equally but cant deny that Automata' combat much better and the drop rate for some original NieR's quest was really bad.

I've been hating for a while that this game is more famous because of a stupid big ass fat than for the story. That's why I hope next Nier has a design less pandering design.
Come on if the "butt" all it took to make the games famous then games like this would be super popular.
250px-Onechanbara_Z2_Chaos_Limited_Edition_box_art.jpg

Christhor

Where does it say it'll be a significant franchise going forward? Skimmed the thing and didn't see anything about that, the bolded part in the OP definitely doesn't say anything about that.

Come on if the "butt" all it took to make the games famous then games like this would be super popular.

The difference about that and Automata is that the latter actually has fanservice that looks good, unlike the ugly stuff in Onechanbara. The design of the main characters was definitely one of the main ways Automata got attention. Which is fine.

JayBabay

Happy for the games success but I can't believe they still haven't patched the PC version!

I can't stand that they also released FFIX with the music issue and no analog controls, even though FFVII, which came out last year had them (and still has the misic looping issue).

Ferr986

I enjoyed both equally but cant deny that Automata' combat much better and the drop rate for some original NieR's quest was really bad.

But
t
I didn't say that was all it took to the game to be famous, but it's clear it's a big point of Automata aesthetics and selling point. Just see how 3/4 fan arts emphatizes her butt (hell it took 1 page for the fan art thread here to get ugly lol).

Also that game is shit (as far as I know) while Automata is a legit good game.

So can we get a xbox one port now?

You'd think so but it seems doubtful. Before the game even released they initially said it depended on how well it would sell on PS4 but later on said an Xbox version most likely just wasn't going to happen. Hope we can see this change but yeah.....don't get your hopes up.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's really cool. Hope they don't go too crazy and make sure Yoko Taro has his hand in everything as long as possible.

Also fix Nier Automata on PC and port Nier to modern platforms!

Slime

Banned
We now live in a world where Yoko Taro and From RPGs are some of the most viable and respected in the genre.

Groof

Damn this is some good ass news. But it scares me they might run it into the ground, these games need their time.

Would love a revisit to Drakengard though, the first one will forever have a special place in my heart and I would love to replay that.

Philippo

I'm salivating at the idea of Yoko Taro working with an AAA budget, a big team and an adequate dev time.

On the other hand, i feel like going mainstream/becoming a key franchise will limit his creativity and weird choices, probably making him even more frustrated and drunk.
Like, seriously worried.

Lynx_7

Everything GAF calls niche shall get mainstream success eventually. It is known.

Good stuff for everyone involved, now if we could get a Nier remaster and maybe Drakengard 1 as a PS2 classic that'd be great.

I'm salivating at the idea of Yoko Taro working with an AAA budget, a big team and an adequate dev time.

On the other hand, i feel like going mainstream/becoming a key franchise will limit his creativity and weird choices, probably making him even more frustrated and drunk.
Like, seriously worried.

The Matsuno curse

Exentryk

So happy that Taro will getting a decent budget. Looking forward to see what he can do when he gets to spread his wings. Good to see he is still focussing on the story aspect by starting to hire more scenario help (side quests, etc.) for that extra polish. Also keen to see what Taura and Platinum will do with a bigger budget.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So happy that Taro will getting a decent budget. Looking forward to see what he can do when he gets to spread his wings. Good to see he is still focussing on the story aspect by starting to hire more scenario help (side quests, etc.) for that extra polish. Also keen to see what Taura and Platinum will do with a bigger budget.
I love Yoko Taro to have big budget but as long as they don't take away his creative freedom. I don't want SE force him to make Automata sequel. If Taro wants to make whole new IP then he should have freedom to do so.

deim0s

The thing is Nier Automata is beautifully made.

Top Bottom