• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Man.... Eidos used to be the pillar of SE during the PS3/360 era.

Now, the only mention they get is: "critically acclaimed titles" and we sold Hitman.

Dayum. Times have changed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Starting? Damn you late lol

I mean I don't even really see it come up that much since the game launched seeing that people seemed to stop talking about that and talked more about the game but damn, this thread was a stark reminder.

butman

1o5nh4i.gif

Z3M0G

Automata was one of my all time greatest gaming experiences, but the reasons for that cant be repeated in sequals...

I actually think this is a bad idea. They could expand on the lore... maybe introduce new gameplay mechanics... but the secret sauce was all used up, if you know what i mean.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Automata was one of my all time greatest gaming experiences, but the reasons for that cant be repeated in sequals...

I actually think this is a bad idea. They could expand on the lore... maybe introduce new gameplay mechanics... but the secret sauce was all used up, if you know what i mean.

I mean autoamta was a sequel.

And also a part of a long running franchise.

LotusHD

Banned

Tell that to the people that enjoyed the previous games like the first Nier lol

Well, it's already been said but yeah Automata is a sequel, and really it just built upon the themes and elements of the first NieR.

Plus, there's literal centuries in-universe timeline to set a game, before the first NieR or after it/before Automata.

Give me an Emil RTS where I control all his clones as he fights the aliens.

True Fire

NieR Automata didn’t do nearly as much genre mashing as NieR or Drakengard. There’s a lot of places NieR 3 could go.

I’m hoping for a rhythm boss fight on dragonback personally.

Z3M0G

I mean autoamta was a sequel.

And also a part of a long running franchise.

Tell that to the people that enjoyed the previous games like the first Nier lol

Well, it's already been said but yeah Automata is a sequel, and really it just built upon the themes and elements of the first NieR.

Plus, there's literal centuries in-universe timeline to set a game, before the first NieR or after it/before Automata.

Give me an Emil RTS where I control all his clones as he fights the aliens.

I played 20ish hours of the first Nier. Hate myself for not finishing it. And know of the supposed Drakengard connections. But it wasnt the connecting lore that made Automata great to me.

Gbraga

I played 20ish hours of the first Nier. Hate myself for not finishing it. And know of the supposed Drakengard connections. But it wasnt the connecting lore that made Automata great to me.

But that's precisely their point. Being a sequel doesn't mean rehashing the same themes, they're barely connected, after all. It's still a much stronger connection than a series like Final Fantasy, but each game stands on its own.

The fact that Yoko Taro can go with wildly different ideas for each new title and his fans are always there says a lot about his quality. In fact, I totally get you, because I felt the same before Automata. For some reason, every time I'm about to play another Yoko Taro game, I'm a bit scared that the previous one I enjoyed so much was some kind of fluke, maybe because of how out there they are, and how difficult it is to make such crazy ideas work so well, but so far, he never disappointed me. The dude knows what he's doing.

Golnei

I'll tweet it at him lol

Kali's boss fight was incredibly Drakengard-esque, getting Yoko Taro involved might just be redundant.

I honestly hated the meme since day one. There's way more to a woman than just a butt.

2B's butt is a critical focal point of her design and essential to her overall aesthetic appeal - there's little point in downplaying it. I don't see why it's a bad thing for the series - sex appeal obviously can't carry the entire series on its own, looking at how the original Nier and D3 performed, but it also can't be ignored or removed from the franchise.

2B's butt is a critical focal point of her design and essential to her overall aesthetic appeal - there's little point in downplaying it. I don't see why it's a bad thing for the series - sex appeal obviously can't carry the entire series on its own, looking at how the original Nier and D3 performed, but it also can't be ignored or removed from the franchise.
...huh? That was a pretty detailed explanation.

I just don't like it. Plain and simple. I accept that it exists and I won't attack anyone who likes it.

LotusHD

Banned

Not so much downplaying it as "Please stop insinuating that this is literally the only reason the game sold well", as well as people understandably not being crazy over the GIFs and how it makes several posters lose their minds for a bit.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

Glory to Tomato kind

Sayad

"What makes you think that a game that may not be using the same characters, same themes or even set in the same timeline would be held back by being a sequel when Nier:A itself was one?!!
9ovvu0I.gif
"
Is the point they were making!

-deactivates Bite the Dust-
Yes I'm saved!

Here Killer Queen I'll let you in on a super obvious secret. Talk about Shantae one day and watch me gush over her. I'll also get really defensive when someone criticizes her haha!

But yeah back into the original topic, I'm so glad that NieR has a better future!

Samikaze

Please, please SE, just give them money and stay out of their way.
That's the only way it would continue to succeed.
You already killed Deus Ex, don't do this to Yoko Taro's work.

Wait a minute.... Are we possibly going to get.... Are we gonna the war in Tokyo? Like that's a big moment in the timeline, and now if this is a big series this is actually possible now. And it's different enough for taro and could still be a nier game because of the timeline! I got myself hyped for what we most likely won't get but you can't stop me.

Edit: Every time the butt I brought up I just sit and wait until we move on.....

Like I get it, people are horny, but I was into Automata because it was a NieR sequel. The butt stuff made me laugh a bit but had no bearing on my hype for the game. it can be a bit much sometimes. The butt horniness, I mean.

I am however interested in the experiences of people who bought the game cuz they were horny for 2B, only to discover a game filled with suicide, child suicide, murder, violence, homosexuality, broken relationships, robot orgies, racism, betrayal, whatever the hell other "taboos" Yoko Taro likes to place in his games. Like people who thought they were buying a Dynasty Warriors clone from Square when they bought Drakengard 1, then all of a sudden incest, cannibalism, and pedophilia!

Top Bottom