• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Zubz

Banned
So has Wii Fit Trainer been buffed to enough of a degree that she's actually pretty decent?

(S)he was always the best character. (S)he just now has the stats to prove it.

As someone who was already a Wii Fit Trainer main, this mess of an update has been redeemed!

I made a Bomberman support tourney and it's proven quite popular! 3 stock 8 minutes and only explosive items (on high) really has a Bomberman vibe to it. 6 games per day so it's easy to stay on top of things. Join on the first day!

Let's show Sakurai we want Bomberman :p

I can get behind that.

I'm still somewhat confused why Marth got ending lag shaved off a lot of his moves yet Lucina didn't. I'm all for diversifying the two more but not if Lucy isn't going to get some kind of buff to compensate for the goodies gifted to Marth :p

I'm still somewhat confused why Marth got ending lag shaved off a lot of his moves yet Lucina didn't. I'm all for diversifying the two more but not if Lucy isn't going to get some kind of buff to compensate for the goodies gifted to Marth :p
Link to the changelist? I don't remember seeing this on reddit or smashboards.

They did the same thing to Pit and Dark Pit. Pit got some buffs and Dark Pit didn't get anything to compensate.

Link to the changelist? I don't remember seeing this on reddit or smashboards.
It's mentioned on the Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3f8hvn/the_v110_patch_changelist/
Not sure why but they combined their entries into one on the smashboards which makes it a little hard to read what's different between them :/

They did the same thing to Pit and Dark Pit. Pit got some buffs and Dark Pit didn't get anything to compensate.
bleh -.-

Some of the most fun I've had with Smash 4 in awhile just happened.

I created a tourney with no items, Miis, no customs and standard maps.

Only 4 people joined. 3 of them never actually played.

So for for 45 minutes I 1v1'd this random guy who was roughly the same skill as me and it was a blast. He was using Mii Swordsman, I was Mii Brawler (it was Leonidas vs Vegeta), although with switched around characters occasionally (me to Toon Link and Roy, him to Jigglypuff and a tall Brawler). The 1.5 minute wait between matches sucked, but I still got to play. We went back and forth all the matches, I ended up winning the tourney by just one win.

It just made me really, really shake my head at a lack of 1v1 in Tourney mode. I don't like playing FG because Miis aren't allowed and FD gets boring after awhile. But being able to play on regular stages with Miis allowed is so much fun. It was like a whole new world opened up. And then was promptly taken away as soon as the tournament ended...

Hopefully they see the massive outcry over this glaring omission and fix it. It literally makes the mode go from "eh" to the best online mode in the game. It would basically be a better For Glory.

Some of the most fun I've had with Smash 4 in awhile just happened.

So for for 45 minutes I 1v1'd this random guy who was roughly the same skill as me and it was a blast.

Hell yeah, I hear you! A similar thing just happened to me tonight at a house party I went to. I played some people I'd never met before, and while I was significantly better than a couple of them and significantly worse than another, I was completely evenly matched with this other guy and we both knew we were on the same level. Playing someone who's every bit as good you are but not appreciably better or worse is so fucking fun. It's absolutely thrilling and it's when the game shines its very brightest. He mainly stuck with Ness while I bounced between Mega Man, Lucas, Shulk, Roy, and Kirby, and every single match was super close and a total blast.

There are very few gaming experiences that can compare with a Smash match that's firing on all cylinders for both players, especially when it's Smash Wii U. <3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahahahaha!

CLS7HpjWgAAUG9n.jpg:large

I made a Bomberman support tourney and it's proven quite popular! 3 stock 8 minutes and only explosive items (on high) really has a Bomberman vibe to it. 6 games per day so it's easy to stay on top of things. Join on the first day!

Let's show Sakurai we want Bomberman :p

Searching for some games now!

Zomba13

so the tourneys suck? :(

Pretty much.

They should have basically been custom lobbies where you set a bunch of rules, go in and get matched with people also in the room but they lack some vital options.
-You can only have FFA matches meaning no 1v1 or no team matches
-You can only see how many have registered in a tourney and not how many are playing so you go into one with 50 people and sit there for 10 minutes before quitting because no one is playing and there isn't a way to tell
-You can only register to 4 at a time
-You can only do the proper tournament mode (brackets? whatever its called) online so can't use it for offline stuff like in past games

+You can set it to allow use of Miis meaning you can now use them against "random" players!
+You can set the time limit up to 1 year meaning you and your friends will have a lobby reserved for a year (if you use passwords)
+You can set it to Stamina which is cool

If it was up to me I'd make a GAF casual open 1v1. 1v1, stage selection, all character, no customs, items on low with none of the "cheap" ones like Gust bellows, the drill, invader or beetle. That way GAF could join and so could randoms and there would be a good chance of a match because you only need another person to play against (and in my weird world there would be a current player count too).

Eh, made one anyway as close to my dream as possible.
Grand Smash Open
ID 04264923516226
2 Stock, 5 mins, Mii on, Items on (certain ones off), Stage Select on, Lasts 1 year, No Password.

Starts on the hour. I'll at least use it as my default starting place when I go online.

Berordn

Did they at least give a reason why the 3DS version didn't get tourneys? I was really looking forward to this.

They didn't, but they also never announced tourney mode for 3DS. It seems reasonable that they didn't put it on 3DS because of the long amounts of time you just spend waiting for the next matches to happen which isn't very conducive to handheld play.

stopthenadness

Neo Member
They didn't, but they also never announced tourney mode for 3DS. It seems reasonable that they didn't put it on 3DS because of the long amounts of time you just spend waiting for the next matches to happen which isn't very conducive to handheld play.

That makes a lot of sense I guess but from what I've seen, can't you do a couple of matches then take a break in some tourneys specifically set like that?

Berordn

That makes a lot of sense I guess but from what I've seen, can't you do a couple of matches then take a break in some tourneys specifically set like that?

You can save a tourney to come back to it later but once the fighting starts you have to stick around until you're eliminated, and then you can choose to continue or leave for the time being. It's actually pretty underwhelming the way it's been implemented.

I love it so much. Hooray for WFT/HFT finally getting the buffs they deserve!

Also, your avatar is super-cute. :3

This might finally push me into making that Studly Smash Men tournament happen ;)

Top Bottom