• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

TheDanimal

So I have a love/hate relationship with online tourney mode. I love the idea of online tournaments, but I have to wait 15-25 minutes to get into a tourney. What's up with that? Why can't there be multiple 1v1 for glory tourneys at one time slot, especially with a game as popular as smash?
Sidenote: Do we know how Nintendo defines 'active' for a tied match?

Forkball

Just had a match with Ryu, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Lloyd, Heihachi, Akira, and Zero on Peach's Castle N64.

If I posted that a year ago, I'd be banned.

Just had a match with Ryu, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, Lloyd, Heihachi, Akira, and Zero on Peach's Castle N64.

If I posted that a year ago, I'd be banned.

Meh, not to be overly cynical, but I'm amending this to "Just had a match with Ryu, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man, and a bunch of Miis on Peach's Castle N64."

Well, not exactly because the creation of bracket tournaments is not a thing online (yet?)

I don't think you comprehended the thrust of my post: casual tournament players don't need brackets, so I don't see why they couldn't have just implemented an offline version of what's already in the online version.

I don't think you comprehended the thrust of my post: casual tournament players don't need brackets, so I don't see why they couldn't have just implemented an offline version of what's already in the online version.

Why wouldn't casual players want brackets? I don't really understand. There's no organization needed. Particularly if you have 2 to the power of X entrants, I've always thought of it as the most well-known tourney format. 8 players? OK, the computer shuffles them into four round 1 matches. There would be no need for any effort on our part.

I'm pondering using the ballot to send multiple requests for 1v1 and 2v2 options for user created Tourneys.

But the way Sakurai is, we will end up getting a "1v1 Tourney Costume" before we get the option lol.

Ryce

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next wave of DLC, because I got absolutely nothing out of this set. I have no interest in buying Mii costumes or N64 stages. (If I were to get the stages I'd want them on both platforms for the sake of completion, but $9+ for three old stages is ridiculous.)

Neoxon

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next wave of DLC, because I got absolutely nothing out of this set. I have no interest in buying Mii costumes or N64 stages. (If I were to get the stages I'd want them on both platforms for the sake of completion, but $9+ for three old stages is ridiculous.)
I'm more of the kind of person with little interest in non-legal stages.

Why wouldn't casual players want brackets? I don't really understand. There's no organization needed. Particularly if you have 2 to the power of X entrants, I've always thought of it as the most well-known tourney format. 8 players? OK, the computer shuffles them into four round 1 matches. There would be no need for any effort on our part.

Are you talking about the basic single-elimination format we've had in past Smash games (and are you saying that this is not present in Smash 4? I haven't actually played tourney mode yet), or the more complex multi-round, winners and losers bracket formats we see in most official tournaments?

I was under the impression you were referring to the latter.

Revven

No, I don't think you comprehended what I was saying.

The main reason people used tournament mode, according to posters in here, was for when they had more than 4 people over -- it allowed them to insert a fifth and sixth player, they'd just hand them the controller when it was their turn. That requires brackets, which requires the people to have control over how many are participating and what the rules are for the tournament -- the game handles the bracket generating all on its own. Neither of those options are available with the way the current bracket tournaments are implemented -- only Nintendo can create them. We've been talking about the single elimination brackets Melee and Brawl had that allowed you to insert CPUs and a bunch of Humans.

The other mode doesn't work like you think it does, it's literally an online-only mode. It's a glorified 4 player free-for-all lobby with your own rules, it doesn't allow a fifth, sixth, seventh, or eighth person to join that room -- it'll generate another room for four people.

So, there is no mode Nintendo could have offered/given for offline without them giving us what they have to create their online tournaments. Which who knows maybe they're going to at a later date. Or maybe not at all.

Shit, no 1v1 tourneys? I was so, so excited for this mode until I read that. What the hell?

You can do 1v1 tourneys online. Just go to tourney then select regular tourneys and look for one that says 1v1 for glory.

You'll most likely have to wait a bit(~30min) before it starts and it'll probably be capped at 3 mins and 2 stocks. Just don't let the time run out in the match. Odd things have been happening when it ends in timeout, since there is no sudden death.

Revven

You can do 1v1 tourneys online. Just go to tourney then select regular tourneys and look for one that says 1v1 for glory.

You'll most likely have to wait a bit(~30min) before it starts.

He's talking about the other mode, the one that GAF would have used if they allowed us to change the game type to 1v1 and teams (but it doesn't).

I don't understand why we can't create a GAF 1v1 tourney similar to the public ones. Seems pretty limited. I suck at 1v1 anyway though :)

Azuran

Banned
No offline tourneys is killing me. Am I the only one that love putting 64 9-level AI in one to let them go at it to see who was the best?

From all the times I did it, Ganondorf and Olimar were the kings in Melee and Brawl respectively.

Mistle

I was meaning the MK8-like tourneys. All I want is to be able to play 1v1 with randoms and stage choice :(

StayDead

No offline tourneys is killing me. Am I the only one that love putting 64 9-level AI and let them go at it to see who was the best?

From all the times I did it, Ganondorf and Olimar were the kings in Melee and Brawl respectively.

Level 9 Ganondorf was on an entirely other level to everything else in the game in Melee imo.

Forkball

Online tourneys are a fun idea, but the execution is poor. The rules are confusing as is the scheduling. And man, no offline tourneys is absolutely bewildering. Some people are saying, "It could come later" but I honestly don't see it. Why release them separately? I should be having an amiibo tourney, or a third party character tourney, or an all female fighters tourney or something right now. I can't believe tourneys were announced nearly a year ago and it turned out to be... this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was meaning the MK8-like tourneys. All I want is to be able to play 1v1 with randoms and stage choice :(

I guess the only real solution is to setup a 2 player tournament, first to three wins and set the stage choices to your liking. Just continue to set these up over and over. I haven't played around with tournaments yet, but does it limit how many tournaments you can make within a time period?

Are you talking about the basic single-elimination format we've had in past Smash games (and are you saying that this is not present in Smash 4? I haven't actually played tourney mode yet), or the more complex multi-round, winners and losers bracket formats we see in most official tournaments?

I was under the impression you were referring to the latter.

No, we're talking about the former. I haven't messed around with tourney mode either. I only had time last night to mess around briefly with trying out the new stages, so I'm just reacting to what's being talked about here. And as I noted earlier, I don't think any of us were expecting the game to set up our own tourneys that would run like Apex:

And maybe you don't feel like getting out a pad and paper and setting up the brackets and trying to make it like a legit FGC tourney because you're not actually a tournament organizer. I mean, I don't think anyone ever suspected that this thing would have so many features that you could run a top 64 with stage strikes and counter-picks assigned to the right player and losers brackets and variable round counts to set it for best of 3 until top 8 or finals, but you know something basic would completely suffice in the above scenario.

But a basic 1 v 1 single elimination bracket? That seems like something most would expect from a tournament mode.

Revven

I guess the only real solution is to setup a 2 player tournament, first to three wins and set the stage choices to your liking. Just continue to set these up over and over. I haven't played around with tournaments yet, but does it limit how many tournaments you can make within a time period?

I made like three tourneys in a row, deleting one after the other in the process, and I didn't seem to be prevented from making another straight after deletion of one. So this method would work but only for randoms. It would still be completely useless for GAFfers because you're limited to fighting the person who joins you until you delete the room.

They need to give us a game type option, plain and simple. It would probably be very easy to patch in, too. Why it's not there at the moment is beyond me.

But a basic 1 v 1 single elimination bracket? That seems like something most would expect from a tournament mode.

Yes, this is what was in Melee and Brawl so it's kind of baffling it's not here for offline.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
What is BKB and KBG? Trying to figure it out, tried googling, but couldn't find. Seems related to knock back, but can't tell the difference.

Level 9 Ganondorf was on an entirely other level to everything else in the game in Melee imo.

That magnetic up B special.

Though awful recovery logic aside I always considered Luigi the melee menace at lvl 9, dude is flipping out like 4 aerials in 2 seconds, power walking towards you with lightning chops, maybe he recovers like an idiot to balance things out.

That magnetic up B special.

Though awful recovery logic aside I always considered Luigi the melee menace at lvl 9, dude is flipping out like 4 aerials in 2 seconds, power walking towards you with lightning chops, maybe he recovers like an idiot to balance things out.

Yesterday I had a 9 Luigi bot take Peach's Castle to a whole new level.

He was roleplaying Smash 64, because he entirely forgot he had a side special recovery. Both of his deaths were easily recoverable if he bothered to side special.

Smash AI is silly.

That's the opening theme, mang.

Oh right, yea, it is. Now that I play the song back in my head, I can almost hear the wooshing of Lakitu and the warp pipe appearing.

Yesterday I had a 9 Luigi bot take Peach's Castle to a whole new level.

He was roleplaying Smash 64, because he entirely forgot he had a side special recovery. Both of his deaths were easily recoverable if he bothered to side special.

Smash AI is silly.

What a twist, in my case that guy might as well not have ever had up B, he'd fall slightly in a small gap like those in Subcon/Mushroom Kingdom 2 and just keep spamming green missile to his doom.

Crocodile

『Inaba Resident』;173605245 said:

Why do people do this? Do they really have nothing better to do with their time than troll? Use that time & energy towards something productive either for yourself (earning money) or the community.

Which is so the right way to go about it. More games should buff bad characters more than they nerf good ones. Nerfs should generally only apply to exploits and infinites.

For the sake of good game balance, sometimes top tiers have to be nerfed in fighting games. They may not have infinites or exploits but shit can be objectively too good within the context of a particular game.

MouldyK

It's a bit odd, I'll agree. But at least the poster notes "pick up the game again." If you're fortunate enough to have a lot of local players to play against but who aren't serious enough to be the types to go to local tourneys, I could see how this might be a feature to get people casually playing again. "Hey, we've all had our fill of just sitting around having random free-for-alls, but a tourney mode might be just what the doctor ordered in terms of injecting some interest among me and my friends to pick it up again."

Right, i'll give some backstory to my love of games with tournament modes:

- Fifa on Megadrive/Sensible World of Soccer: I loved these games just for their League and Tournament Modes because it added depth to each match against the CPU. Hell, i'm downloading FIFA 15 from EA Access just for tournaments.

- Worms on Gameboy: This game I played up to like 2005 whenever my brother went to Athletic matches because it had League and Tournaments against the CPU, something Worms has not done since, but I have vowed to buy the next Worms game which includes this feature.

- Jump Ultimate Stars: Do I understand Japanese? Not at all, but I could navigate the game and knew where I played the most: The League Mode. Going into the last match knowing that you have to win or else you won't win the league provided many highlights for me.

- Virtua Fighter 5: Quest Mode is still the best Single Player portion of a Fighter Game for me for many reason. The game simulated Arcade-Playing well where Winner Stays On and also had 8-Player Tourneys in the game which were better than generic Arcade Mode.

- Smash Bros. Brawl: I got a Wii in 2011, so was really late to the party, but I got Brawl with it even though I didn't have many people who could come over...but it had 64-Player Tourneys against the AI!

To most, Tourney Mode is just a simple addition. But for me, strangely enough, it's a big draw and almost a Purchase Decider. I think what I like most about Tournaments (and leagues) against the CPU is the fact that they provide a short, but important narrative to Offline Play.

Imagine Mario Kart without the Gran Prix, or having a VS Mode which don't track your points after each race, making each race just separate from one another. That's how Smash feels for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Smash U and 3DS and will probably still play them like once a month or so, but if there was a Tourney or League Mode I could just pick up in the evening and go through a 64-Player Bracket or a 20-Man League, i'd play it at least Once a Week.

JCX

CLP9wsKWEAEYUrN.png:large

02a085d1a2028462d3c66237445574aa48f12051cadd3b52d45e14ca365e8203.jpg

Beautiful. Maybe I'll start playing Smash again before the Splatoon update next week.

Lunar15

Why do people do this? Do they really have nothing better to do with their time than troll? Use that time & energy towards something productive either for yourself (earning money) or the community.

For the sake of good game balance, sometimes top tiers have to be nerfed in fighting games. They may not have infinites or exploits but shit can be objectively too good within the context of a particular game.

That's why I said generally. But really, I'd prefer worse characters to be made more viable than any one character to be made less viable.

Revven

Urgh, the workaround I thought of for 1v1 in Tourney Mode is kind of not going how I thought it would.

While yes 2 participants works and does make it 1v1, after you finish a match it sends you back to the screen where you have to press start to search again. Instead of like, say, MK8 where you stay with the group you're in until you decide to leave this game seems to want to encourage you to play other people in the lobby.

In other words, it kicks you back to the screen where you need to press start to start searching after every match. You can't stay in the same room like you can in For Glory and fight the same person until you hit your win requirements and/or decide to leave.

But hey it still kind of works for 1v1 anyway... it is just going to take extra unnecessary seconds to get back into another match with the same person. :/

Urgh, the workaround I thought of for 1v1 in Tourney Mode is kind of not going how I thought it would.

While yes 2 participants works and does make it 1v1, after you finish a match it sends you back to the screen where you have to press start to search again. Instead of like, say, MK8 where you stay with the group you're in until you decide to leave this game seems to want to encourage you to play other people in the lobby.

In other words, it kicks you back to the screen where you need to press start to start searching after every match. You can't stay in the same room like you can in For Glory and fight the same person until you hit your win requirements and/or decide to leave.

But hey it still kind of works for 1v1 anyway... it is just going to take extra unnecessary seconds to get back into another match with the same person. :/

What is the workaround?

Top Bottom