• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Revven

What is the workaround?

Set it to 2 participants. It'll make it a 1v1 room but only you (the host) and the first person who joins can play in it. However, as I explained, after a match is finished you get kicked back to the tourney's menu and have to press start again to do another match with the same player. If you want to play someone new, you have to delete the tourney and then create a new one with the same rules and everything.

What is with that tournament mode? I mean, if it came out like that at launch that'd be sort of okay. The fact that they took so long to develop THIS just seems unreal.

Set it to 2 participants. It'll make it a 1v1 room but only you (the host) and the first person who joins can play in it. However, as I explained, after a match is finished you get kicked back to the tourney's menu and have to press start again to do another match with the same player. If you want to play someone new, you have to delete the tourney and then create a new one with the same rules and everything.

Ohh yes, I didn't get it when you said set to two participants in your original post. Shame it does not work perfectly as intended though.

All right, I have For Glory and For Fun GAF rooms set up. Hoping entering doesn't close when the tournament starts otherwise I uh...fucked up.

For Glory ID: 55791645480276
For Fun ID: 13924304280726

Quote for password.

Piccoro

All right, I have For Glory and For Fun GAF rooms set up. Hoping entering doesn't close when the tournament starts otherwise I uh...fucked up.

Hey Siara I joined your for fun tournament. But there's just 2 people?:p

1. We can't create normal tournaments. We can only create ones where you play as many games as you can and gain points either by only winning or by position. The more games you play the more chance of coming out on top. It ends when the tournament ends. Also we can't do 1 v 1.

2. Only Nintendo can create the tournaments we've always wanted and to get into these you have to join over 20 minutes early and wait with just sandbag and the same loop of music to keep you entertained.

3. Neither of these modes are available offline.

Am I missing something or is this how it is? I've been frantically messing around for almost an hour thinking this can't be the case.

Neiteio

1. We can't create normal tournaments. We can only create ones where you play as many games as you can and gain points either by only winning or by position. The more games you play the more chance of coming out on top. It ends when the tournament ends. Also we can't do 1 v 1.

2. Only Nintendo can create the tournaments we've always wanted and to get into these you have to join over 20 minutes early and wait with just sandbag and the same loop of music to keep you entertained.

3. Neither of these modes are available offline.

Am I missing something or is this how it is? I've been frantically messing around for almost an hour thinking this can't be the case.
Well, it could be worse. Like, Sakurai could've made it so Tourney Mode doubles the amount/frequency of stage hazards, adds tripping, rains bob-ombs for no reason, etc. It's all about perspective!

Well, it could be worse. Like, Sakurai could've made it so Tourney Mode doubles the amount/frequency of stage hazards, adds tripping, rains bob-ombs for no reason, etc. It's all about perspective!

So I'm right?! Dammit I was scared of that. Here I was thinking I'm so stupid I can't see it in the options I must be doing it all wrong :/

Also 2 stock three minutes?! It's interesting because it forces you to play fast but still.

Quote for password.

I would love to join, but my connection seems to be bad with 4 player FFA. =(

The lack of ANYTHING relating to the non-WarioWare Wario stuff made me think of that leak being fake. Yes, there are Wario related things in Dr. Mario like Wario in 64, and Dr. Wario from WarioWare, but come on, ouside of Wario's overalls alt, and the Wario Land Shake It song in gamer, there's nothing else aside the WarioWare games for Wario.

I chalk up the Wario overalls alt as being for the sake of Mario Kart more than anything, but you can't make the Shake It! song an exception. Wario Puzzle isn't even from a Wario game, it's more akin to if we got a song for a Wario-themed level from Mario Kart in for Mario Circuit or Rainbow Road.

Hey Siara I joined your for fun tournament. But there's just 2 people?:p

Yeah, it's filling up a little slow but it's open for a month. I'm sure we'll get a fair number of folks in here.

Also I wasn't sure whether to put customs on in the for fun room so I left them off. Seems like it might be for the best if items (shoes, etc). are included in that option.

Neiteio

So I'm right?! Dammit I was scared of that. Here I was thinking I'm so stupid I can't see it in the options I must be doing it all wrong :/

Also 2 stock three minutes?! It's interesting because it forces you to play fast but still.
I actually don't know. I haven't tried the update yet. Been playing Bloodborne.

udivision

Shorter time limits encourages camping, actually.

Revven

I'm actually enjoying the Tourney mode, I've been playing it for hours!
I don't understand the criticism here?

The criticism is the lack of being able to set it to anything other than free-for-all. If you enjoy free-for-all then it doesn't apply to you.

With regular tourneys, the criticism is having to wait nearly a half an hour for a 3 minute match when the tourney is filled up already and should start when it's full... but it doesn't.

Shorter time limits encourages camping, actually.

Not in this case because the more "active" player wins, that's the best thing they've added.

We should have that option offline too. Three possible outcomes in the case of timeout:

Sudden Death
Lower Percentage wins
Most Active player wins

Hopefully Sakurai's team will get the message from players of how tournament falls short of our basic expectations, and how they can improve it.

Can't believe we waited nearly a year for this anaemic online-only mode.

Ok, so I just played with random people as Vegeta Brawler in a tourney. So why can't I play regular online with Vegeta?

This literally makes no sense what so ever. Like it's entirely arbitrary and stupid.

Neiteio

Ok, so I just played with random people as Vegeta Brawler in a tourney. So why can't I play regular online with Vegeta?

This literally makes no sense what so ever. Like it's entirely arbitrary and stupid.
They should really get over this fear someone will make a Mii of the Prophet Muhammad and start World War 3. The Miis are fun, and if people can see each other's Miis online, they'll likely see the costumes and want to buy more of those, as well.

Berordn

They should really get over this fear someone will make a Mii of the Prophet Muhammad and start World War 3. The Miis are fun, and if people can see each other's Miis online, they'll likely see the costumes and want to buy more of those, as well.

Now that they're playable in tournaments, it seems like the only thing really holding them back are the limitations on customization for the standard modes.

Which I guess makes sense if you're still toting for glory as a "fair playing field" where "you know exactly what you're up against," but it's still kind of a letdown.

FSLink

Banned

What they should have done is made it so any Miis you see online outside of "With Friends" show up as the default looking Miis from in-game (the ones used for the Amiibos), and have them wear whatever hat/outfit the person has equipped. But it's probably too late for that now.

Pizza

Man what a fucking letdown. We've been waiting on tourney mode since launch and this is what the team hands us?

Very fucking stupid. they could have at *least* given us the same local options that we've had before but nope.

I have no idea how the team thought this was a fine thing. It's a tournament setup that no one asked for, and not really what they implied with their various teasers.

Why even do this? Would having local 1v1 tourneys with changeable settings really be *that* bad of a thing to add? I mean, obviously letting the game remember "no, I never want to play a timed match." is too hard, so clearly reinventing the wheel with what a "tournament" is should have been much too hard for the team to handle.

But nope. I was so looking forward to hosting tournaments this semester at school. Looks like I'll be buying that dry erase board after all.

My internet's still dodgy now and then but I wouldn't mind seeing how I go in the GAF Tourney. Where's the name and password posted?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I noticed that we got Character Bundle #1 which contained all 4 characters.. I wonder how many characters we would get for Character Bundle #2. Hopefully it would meant 4 but I would settle down with just 2.

Not in this case because the more "active" player wins, that's the best thing they've added.

We should have that option offline too. Three possible outcomes in the case of timeout:

Sudden Death
Lower Percentage wins
Most Active player wins

"most active player" is just whoever does the most damage in the match, which means camping is still a very viable strategy especially considering you might not even lose a single stock in 3 minutes if you play campy enough

X-Factor

Super Smash Wii U Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle DLC stages gameplay.
Expensive bundle for $13 but it also adds several music tracks and mii costumes.

Super Smash Wii U Peach's Castle DLC stage gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teHkHPxWvTk

Super Smash Wii U Hyrule Castle DLC stage gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mzql52aUUM

SYG3K3.jpg

Wwsbfk.jpg

SeanR1221

Tournament mode isn't like what I pictured. It's pretty slow and boring. I also figured you could watch a match while it happened, but nope. Too much waiting around IMO.

Ive set up a tourney for UK players if anyone is interested.

It lasts throughout August and you can have two matches per day at most. At the end of August the one with the most points wins. The rules are for glory rules except it'll be free for all as you can't set up one on ones.

Tourney ID: 52604780095858

Hopefully this becomes a thing and it's the best I could think of (UK only was to avoid lag).

Has anyone set up a monthly GAF tourney or should I do it?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ive set up a tourney for UK players if anyone is interested.

It lasts throughout August and you can have two matches per day at most. At the end of August the one with the most points wins. The rules are for glory rules except it'll be free for all as you can't set up one on ones.

Tourney ID: 52604780095858

Hopefully this becomes a thing and it's the best I could think of (UK only was to avoid lag).

Has anyone set up a monthly GAF tourney or should I do it?

few posts above you already did.

Berordn

So has Wii Fit Trainer been buffed to enough of a degree that she's actually pretty decent?

I think so. Not so much that they were terrible before, but now they've actually got the tools to do proper mixups and don't cower at the sight of Kirby. Nothing really changes how they play, but they do everything better than they did pre-patch.

Dez_

Gotta say, I've been having fun with tourney mode, if only because I do enjoy a good FFA game, and having online matches with stocks have been really enjoyable. For Fun FFA in general is too short for time and seem to encourage campy play style. This isn't really what I wanted out of tournament mode, but what the hell, it's been fun so far.

Will try to join the gaf tourney a little later and see who's on.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Haven't played in awhile and did the updates and jammed last night a bit... Bought all DLC too.

Is it just me or did some of the characters get faster?
I feel like movement speed was quicker than I remember from a few months ago

I made a Bomberman support tourney and it's proven quite popular! 3 stock 8 minutes and only explosive items (on high) really has a Bomberman vibe to it. 6 games per day so it's easy to stay on top of things. Join on the first day!

Let's show Sakurai we want Bomberman :p

Top Bottom