• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's single player campaign will miss 2016 launch date

StereoVsn

The burden of proof is on CIG to show what they have.

The idea that they show nothing because they have nothing is plausible.
It's also possible that not only SQ42 won't be out but they will run out of funding before the MMO is finished as well. They have a large number of people in the studio which has to be burning cash at a steady clip. 400 people x $150K/year/pp (including benefits) and you got $60 million burn rate just for labor.

I mean I am a backer and threw $60 into this but it's more on the offfchance that "what if" this turns out to be really good and Roberts shows up everyone being wrong. I would love that scenario however unlikely because I loved Privateer, Wing Commander, Freelancer, etc...

thelastword

Banned
There's ambition and there's unrealistic optimism. Look, there's a narrative a lot of SC fans have formed that critics of the project don't understand game development. I disagree. I think early on many critics saw the scope of the game and everything that was being promised and many of us thought "it would take years and years for a game of this scope to get made even if it were coming from an established studio".

Then we get Roberts throwing out wildly optimistic dates for years now that any reasonable person knows they have no chance of hitting. Then when those dates pass, we get people saying "of course it's not ready yet, AAA development takes time". And the critics know that, and the defenders know that, but that doesn't stop Roberts from slapping a 2016 release date on SQ42 or telling you guys you'll have 3.0 by the end of the year despite not even having 2.6 yet with 2017 rapidly approaching. The critics aren't the ones setting unrealistic time frames, CIG and Roberts are.

Most people who call the game a scam aren't saying that there is no game, no progress is being made, and nothing is being worked on. I think most believe that Roberts and CIG vastly overstate progress, show tech demo's of things that aren't even close to working but promise them soon, and do this partly to keep funding strong. Given that AAA development does take a long time and MMO development even longer, the scope of the game that they did have to build up studios, that unexpected delays happen, and that they are more or less working on two games at once, I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a 2018-2019 date for SQ42 and sometime in the early 2020's for SC (and even then I'd expect some features cut). If CIG were to actually put those dates out there though, it could have a negative impact on funding. The "scam" is that they paint an unrealistic picture of the progress they're making.
Money post...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ask yourself, if they had any new footage to show, wouldn't they have done it? With every major new footage they showed their funding increased, often considerably.

From the way they talk about it, they're well aware of that sales impact, and they're treating the mission reveal as a one-shot opportunity. Better to wait and save it for another Gamescom-level impact than to waste Squadron 42's only shot at a first impression on a clunky patchwork thing held together by console commands.

The November stream also happens to line up with their anniversary "sale" event where most of the limited ships are temporarily available for purchase again.

Not sure what's going on BTS with this game but I'm still on board for Gillian Anderson. I want to believe.

Good point here too. If they're planning on doing any reveals of the celebrity characters in that mission, they really wouldn't want to mess that up.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm a backer. Bought one lonely ship. Haven't played in quite a while now.

I bought in because of Chris's vision at the time for the game. While the game/tech for the most part look stunning, I'd imagine they're burning through a huge amount of money on a monthly basis.We also continue to see/read about feature creep and missed deadlines.

Gonna go ahead and re-install the "game" and see where they're at.

Outrun

It's also possible that not only SQ42 won't be out but they will run out of funding before the MMO is finished as well. They have a large number of people in the studio which has to be burning cash at a steady clip. 400 people x $150K/year/pp (including benefits) and you got $60 million burn rate just for labor.

I mean I am a backer and threw $60 into this but it's more on the offfchance that "what if" this turns out to be really good and Roberts shows up everyone being wrong. I would love that scenario however unlikely because I loved Privateer, Wing Commander, Freelancer, etc...

Yeah. I have dropped $300 on this game and want it to succeed because I am not getting my money back.

The burn rate is important because it is a apt counter to those spewing "take all the time you need" BS. They cannot take all the time they need because they will run out of money.

Another counter is that if they go bust, a publisher will step in and release the game. But if it is revealed that the project is a mess, what publisher will step in?

If this tanks, and they close shop, we will have the satisfaction of keeping CIG employees working for 3+ years.

It is surreal at this point.

Ask yourself, if they had any new footage to show, wouldn't they have done it? With every major new footage they showed their funding increased, often considerably.

You seem to be entirely ignoring the reason they didn't show it. They wanted to show what a fully complete mission would be like. That was the whole point of them planning on showing it in the first place. Chris said during the stream that they're treating SQ42 differently to Star Citizen with their approach to what they show of it - it needs be at it's very best and he wants players to experience it properly. Obviously showing something anyway would have had a big impact but not quite to the same level as seeing a 100% complete, fully finished chapter of the game to the same level of quality to fully released thing will have.

In their transparency they should tell what they actually have. Like, what exactly is missing from this full mission that prevents them from showing it.

In their transparency they should tell what they actually have. Like, what exactly is missing from this full mission that prevents them from showing it.

They should definitely do that and they SHOULD have done it during the presentation.
Though, I actually get the feeling they might in the next few weeks explain why it was not shown as they started a thread on the forum where people can ask questions about citcon. A lot of questions are about why it was not shown.

At least they detailed the roadblocks on the way to releasing SQ42 in the presentation.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
And also, transparency is not in of itself a wonderful thing! You don't need to see how the sausage it made, you just want the damn sausage!

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Citizencon presentation and SC over the last year or so... I'm ready, hungry and waiting for that Sausage or at least a video of the sausage now XD.

Erin Roberts did talk about that - seemed like it was largely animation polish. But that was in an interview somewhere off-stage. I imagine they will do a more official statement on it at some point.

Putty

Im new to the whole SC thing (outside of friends working on music and sound design)...i started looking at vids from Gamescom onwards and ive to say, im totally gobsmacked with everything! Stunning.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I feel bad for the team working on this. The gross mismanagement of Roberts has to be crushing their souls.

That Kotaku investigation should have even the most financially invested of the faithful, quaking in their boots.

I don't understand the "first impression" point with SQ42 - they already had that with the Morrow Tour, and then the Bishop Speech, they don't get to put the genie back in the bottle just because people didn't like the faces.

~Cross~

I don't understand the "first impression" point with SQ42 - they already had that with the Morrow Tour, and then the Bishop Speech, they don't get to put the genie back in the bottle just because people didn't like the faces.

None of that exists anymore. Whatever time they spent developing those went down the drain.

Reminds me of the video I once saw of one of the developers showing off the system to system jumping animation. It was like in 2014. By their timetable, we wont actually be able to jump into another system till 2018.

The burden of proof is on CIG to show what they have.

The idea that they show nothing because they have nothing is plausible.

Yeah, what the hell is it with people on here making the customers feel guilty for expressing concern over the game's delay!? Just bizarre corporatism.

The character models were completely scrapped. You scrap the models, you scrap the animations. I doubt that the interior of the ship as it was shown was up to snuff with how everything looks now so thats scrapped too.

Not really. The skeletal rig is modular and reusable. You can completely change the character mesh, rebind it to the same rig without touching animations.

joecanada

Yeah. I have dropped $300 on this game and want it to succeed because I am not getting my money back.

The burn rate is important because it is a apt counter to those spewing "take all the time you need" BS. They cannot take all the time they need because they will run out of money.

Another counter is that if they go bust, a publisher will step in and release the game. But if it is revealed that the project is a mess, what publisher will step in?

If this tanks, and they close shop, we will have the satisfaction of keeping CIG employees working for 3+ years.

I mean something will come out, that's pretty much a given.... but if this turns out to be a kingdoms of amalur story I'm pretty sure most won't be overly happy.

I loved KOA

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The character models were completely scrapped. You scrap the models, you scrap the animations. I doubt that the interior of the ship as it was shown was up to snuff with how everything looks now so thats scrapped too.
You realize animation data can be reused right even if you change the models.

~Cross~

Not really. The skeletal rig is modular and reusable. You can completely change the character mesh, rebind it to the same rig without touching animations.

Yeah, look at the morrow tour and speech model and tell me the skeletons haven't changed.

Combined with the Kotaku interviews of them changing the skeletons constantly and having to redo their work.

Depends, change the skeleton enough and the mocap data becomes useless. The general idea is that the reason why SQ42 demo wasn't shown on the floor at citcon was because the animations were completely fucked.

Maledict

The November stream also happens to line up with their anniversary "sale" event where most of the limited ships are temporarily available for purchase again.

Good point here too. If they're planning on doing any reveals of the celebrity characters in that mission, they really wouldn't want to mess that up.

That point about the timing of the reveal should worry anyone.

Erin Roberts did talk about that - seemed like it was largely animation polish. But that was in an interview somewhere off-stage. I imagine they will do a more official statement on it at some point.

That could mean anything from dumb perfectionism on an otherwise finished effort to having spent all your resources redoing animations and thus not having anything ready.

Chev

They've been explicitly saying they often make retakes of animations, though, including expensive new motion capture sessions, so it doesn't matter much that they can reuse them if they don't.

Burny

From the way they talk about it, they're well aware of that sales impact, and they're treating the mission reveal as a one-shot opportunity. Better to wait and save it for another Gamescom-level impact than to waste Squadron 42's only shot at a first impression on a clunky patchwork thing held together by console commands.

Obviously showing something anyway would have had a big impact but not quite to the same level as seeing a 100% complete, fully finished chapter of the game to the same level of quality to fully released thing will have.

Let us then, just for a moment, entertain the thought, that they're just two weeks to a month away from such a state that this mission they want to show has the impact they desire. And by impact, I mean selling their fantasy space ships to people for a funding boost.

Why is a funding boost so essential? They have had five years now, collected 125$ Mio. and now, suddenly, if they don't reach impeccable quality, after previously consistently staying far below industry standards in terms of polish of their playable output, that is a no go? To the point that they mislead backers into buying Citizencon tickets from them, expecting a Squadron 42 showing? With a year since the last showing to prepare something? Anything? As mentioned by RubberJohnny, not even a trailer that they ought to have had months in advance?

What gives?

Nope. I'm not buying the "we were not 100% satisfied" excuse. Not in the context of a five year dev cycle, 125$ Mio. of funding and the buffoon Chris Roberts who is full enough of shit to pull such stunts as the Star Marine fiasco. With that amount of time into the project and that amount of money, they ought to have been able to deliver something. They should not to depend on further backing to do so, because we've long passed the threshold of them asking obscene amounts of money for fantasy ships and they ought to have had enough time for a trailer at the very, very least. And they still manage to disappoint.

I'm left with the conclusion that they have nothing to show for themselves. Not even remotely, because we would've gotten a trailer otherwise by now. What they have is either completely unfinished or we would have seen something - most likely a trailer - or it is completely fucked up. Potentially both.

They've been explicitly saying they often make retakes of animations, though, including expensive new motion capture sessions, so it doesn't matter much that they can reuse them if they don't.

Yeah I don't have info on that. Just saying the general fact that you can modify models/textures without interfering with the rig which controls skeletal animation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have to constantly modify animation because their approach to game design is backwards. Technology shouldn't drive gameplay, they should have they grey-box level, block character FPS module before mo-capping and designing animation sets.

Why is a funding boost so essential? They have had five years now, collected 125$ Mio. and now, suddenly, if they don't reach impeccable quality, after previously consistently staying far below industry standards in terms of polish of their playable output, that is a no go? To the point that they mislead backers into buying Citizencon tickets from them, expecting a Squadron 42 showing? With a year since the last showing to prepare something? Anything? As mentioned by RubberJohnny, not even a trailer that they ought to have had months in advance?

What gives?

Nope. I'm not buying the "we were not 100% satisfied" excuse. Not in the context of a five year dev cycle, 125$ Mio. of funding and the buffoon Chris Roberts who is full enough of shit to pull such stunts as the Star Marine fiasco. With that amount of time into the project and that amount of money, they ought to have been able to deliver something. They should not to depend on further backing to do so, because we've long passed the threshold of them asking obscene amounts of money for fantasy ships and they ought to have had enough time for a trailer at the very, very least. And they still manage to disappoint.

I'm left with the conclusion that they have nothing to show for themselves. Not even remotely, because we would've gotten a trailer otherwise by now. What they have is either completely unfinished or we would have seen something - most likely a trailer - or it is completely fucked up. Potentially both.

It seems you're being completely absurd in an attempt to find any reason to try to make the game look bad.

Their approach to SQ42 has not changed. Before now there has one a single proper showing of the game beyond the very, very brief behind the scenes footage we've had. The only thing we've seen of SQ42 is the extremely buggy and unfinished gameplay from last years CitizenCon along with the CGI trailer. It has not been a case of them showing a large amount of clearly unfinished content for it and then suddenly deciding they have nothing to show. They showed something last year to give players some indication of what was going on with it despite it being pretty broken at the time, and now they want to do it right the first time they show off an actual full mission by having it in an entirely finished state.

As Chris said during the Stream, their approach to SQ42 is different from Star Citizen, and what they've shown over the past few years for it has been consistent with that idea. There was a leak of content a while back so we know there was a vast amount of content for SQ42 that hadn't been shown to us, for reasons of spoilers; SQ42 is an experience that they want to have the biggest impact it can on players the first time. That's not the same case with Star Citizen where everyone's experience is entirely unique and other players won't get the same thing as they will, showing unfinished stuff is different with that as it doesn't matter so much.

A comment saying "we're going to show a little of SQ42" in an interview for a gaming site is not "misleading" anyone into buying tickets for CitizenCon. No one is going to buy an expensive ticket and go all that way solely just so they can see SQ42 gameplay. Especially when the tickets were put on sale in March and sold out within hours and the ones put on sale later on also sold out fast. So no one bought tickets just to see SQ42 because they couldn't as tickets weren't even really available to buy when that comment was said.

You have no reason to think the funding boost is "essential". If it was "essential" and they desperately needed more money then then deciding not to show SQ42 in any form completely goes against that. They would have shown something of SQ42 (a trailer, like you suggest) no matter the state if it was "essential".

What exactly are you expecting to happen? They'll just suddenly throw together an entire mission at fully polished quality out of nowhere in the next few weeks or months just to try to scrape together a bit more money that you claim they desperately need in an attempt to keep up up the supposed charade until it all fails? Or they won't show anything at all in which case they don't get the "essential" funding boost? Neither of those are plausible at all.

They could have made a trailer, sure, but that's not what they wanted to do. They wanted to do an actual gameplay demo (which is what they've done with everything except the ship commericials) and they couldn't get it sorted out to the quality they wanted in time. It's far easier to accept and far more likely that rather than the reason you suggest, the reason they gave for not showing it is the actual reason for not showing it; they wanted to give a preview of what the game would be like when entirely finished, they thought they could get it finished in time, but they couldn't so would rather wait a few weeks to show it properly.

The lack of a gameplay demo or trailer at CitizenCon does not indicate that the entire thing is going wrong. If we still don't have that gameplay within the next few weeks or months, then yes, that would be concerning, but unless you think Chris has outright lied several times then it'll be shown soon.

Llyranor

So what was the point of Citizencon?

Why did they withhold that there would be no footage or anything at all about SQ42 until the event itself? To sell more tickets, preying on hopeful fans?

Regardless of the development state of the game, the business practice is a bit scammy. What happened to transparency?

Nydus

I got a refund for my 265$ a week ago. Just open a ticket :)

Why did they withhold that there would be no footage or anything at all about SQ42 until the event itself? To sell more tickets, preying on hopeful fans?

Regardless of the development state of the game, the business practice is a bit scammy. What happened to transparency?

I'm pretty sure the tickets had pretty much all sold out well before it was even mentioned SQ42 would be shown there, infact it seems they were put up for sale back in March and sold out fast and the ones available later also sold out quickly before that comment was even said, it seems.

SQ42 being shown was mentioned as something they were going to show in an interview for a site. It was not some feature that they actually used to advertise CitizenCon or something like that.

Chev

Why did they withhold that there would be no footage or anything at all about SQ42 until the event itself?
Given my familiarity with that kind of dev cycle I'd say they were unwilling to face the reality of their actual progress, and at least on some level genuinely hoped they'd have SQ42 in a showable state, and then genuinely thought Spacebook would make up for it.

K.Jack

Let us then, just for a moment, entertain the thought, that they're just two weeks to a month away from such a state that this mission they want to show has the impact they desire. And by impact, I mean selling their fantasy space ships to people for a funding boost.

What gives?

From my view it paints a bleak picture, of the state of the project. They don't have the first mission of the game in a playable state?

No one is asking that they have 5 straight hours of gameplay ready. To have literally nothing to show for SQ42, at your own fucking event, is reprehensible. Missing a release date isn't a big deal, it should've come with a, "but here is a look at what we've been working on so far" type of demonstration.

All there really displaying is enough to keep people's hope alive. Look, here's a procederally generated planet!

Deliver just enough hope to sell more ships.

Oh look, in between a bunch of hopium spewage, they showed a trailer for a $750 corvette, of which they sold 2400+ in one day.

Mission accomplished.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
From my view it paints a bleak picture, of the state of the project. They don't have the first mission of the game in a playable state?

No one is asking that they have 5 straight hours of gameplay ready. To have literally nothing to show for SQ42, at your own fucking event, is reprehensible. Missing a release date isn't a big deal, it should've come with a, "but here is a look at what we've been working on so far" type of demonstration.

All there really displaying is enough to keep people's hope alive. Look, here's a procederally generated planet!

Deliver just enough hope to sell more ships.

Oh look, in between a bunch of hopium spewage, they showed a trailer for a $750 corvette, of which they sold 2400+ in one day.

Mission accomplished.

That corvette is bloody sweet though ...

I'm an original $50 backer from way back when.

You're making a pretty big leap there. "They don't have any mission even playable at all?" is not the same as the actual reason they gave of "We don't quite have an entire chapter 100% completed, polished and to the sort of release quality the finished game will be" Then they even said what needs to be improved for SQ42 and it certainly wasn't anything to suggest something along the lines of "none of this is in a playable state"

K.Jack

You're making a pretty big leap there. "They don't have any mission even playable at all?" is not the same as the actual reason they gave of "We don't quite have an entire chapter 100% completed, polished and to the sort of release quality the finished game will be" and then they even said what needs to be improved.

Buv, they don't have anything polished enough to show. If they did, they'd have kept their word and showed it. There's no way to take this as a positive.

What we got was a Powerpoint on how awesome it's going to be. That's unacceptable (for me) at this stage of the story.

Jackpot

Banned
A comment saying "we're going to show a little of SQ42" in an interview for a gaming site is not "misleading" anyone into buying tickets for CitizenCon.

What was actually said:

We're […] taking one of the missions that's in Squadron 42 and showing how that would feel, from the briefing, to the ship, to taking off, to the mission, and the combination of flying and FPS stuff, so those are the two things we're going to show.

A full mission from start to finish = "a little of SQ42" now?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What a mess.. I mean this was expected.. but still.. and the people saying it's been 2 years...no.. it's been 4.

With a team of over 350 people now... with little progress.. little to really show.

This was a game in need of a publisher to wheel them in and hit deadlines and stop feature creep.

If it's good, then it'll be good.. but nothing I've read in the last year leads me to believe that this is going to turn out well by the end.

K.Jack

What a mess.. I mean this was expected.. but still.. and the people saying it's been 2 years...no.. it's been 4.

With a team of over 350 people now... with little progress.. little to really show.

This was a game in need of a publisher to wheel them in and hit deadlines and stop feature creep.

If it's good, then it'll be good.. but nothing I've read in the last year leads me to believe that this is going to turn out well by the end.

If Mr. and Mrs. Chris Roberts remove themselves from the helm, and hire some big name direction and production staff to reorganize the mess they've built, I'll have hope.

Burny

They could have made a trailer, sure, but that's not what they wanted to do.

I'm so happy we have so many CIG insiders chiming in here, knowing what's really going on internally and able to assure us that everything is peachy.

Being the pleb I am, I can only go by the facts that I'm seeing. They could have, they would have, they want to and all at the highest fidelity.

They haven't.

At this point in development that's damming. Even their excuses are damning. They want to show actual complete game play but can't after all this time and money? Fuck that! We only need to, will have, but not like others and all systemic and with impeccable fidelity. Fuck. That. What's to say the bullshit excuses they parade around are any less bullshit than all the other dishonest bullshit they've pulled in the last years? I've listed all the reasons I can see why that's all bullshit.

If they can't show anything now after after touting it since before E3, than the vastly more probable scenario is that it's all fucked up royally for some reason, than that they're just trying to have the perfect reveal. They've even willfully risked to shake the faith of their whales by not being forthcoming with Squadron 42 footage. Not yours of course, TheVoidDragon.

Let's just see if they can make good on their kinda like not a promise, but you know not like others, all systemic and of course refactoring to highest fidelity remark of maybe showing something or not in their end of year streams.

But then again, if you can't even get a game into presentable state till October, what do you realistically expect to change about that till November or December? At least if you're not so full of shit as to try telling your backers that the promised separate FPS arena shooter module is already part of your broken ass open world tech demo for your MMO game?

If Mr. and Mrs. Chris Roberts remove themselves from the helm, and hire some big name direction and production staff to reorganize the mess they've built, I'll have hope.
They would have to get over their hubris and admit defeat for a start. Roberts has had the nerve to call Star Citizen the 'Best Dann Space Sim Ever', before even having produced it, so that's not happening anytime soon without absolutely massive outside pressure.

KKRT00

Burny, I just want to say that your 25 posts from this thread will look so stupid when they'll finally showcase S42.

Top Bottom