• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

RaijinFY

Yeah, this looks like the real model:

Star-Ocean-The-Last-Hope-International_2009_09-24-09_06.jpg

Meh.

Well, not played SO4 because a radom Lymle video posted in youtube...

Still better than the one in SO5.

Yarbskoo

Environments look great, I just wish there wasn't that weird yellowish filter over everything. From what I've seen of The Last Hope, the post processing was pretty ugly there too.

Pretty disappointed in the lack of futuristic environments. I stopped playing Til the End of Time when I got off of the first underdeveloped planet and immediately got stuck on another one. It's a shame, because I really enjoyed the setup with the resort and the evacuation and everything.

Daouzin

You guys are crazy, I like everything I've seen so far. Now that you guys have pointed it out I can see how the pink haired girl looks a little goofy, but I think she's fine the way she is and genuinely love everything I've seen so far. Y'all be haters.

Yarbskoo

There's also some pretty heavy vignetting in these shots, but that's a little harder to Photoshop out.
vmsuty.jpg
47zvDJj.png

I think I may have overcompensated for the darkening, but I dunno, I just think games with brighter, more defined colors look more realistic, especially when it comes to skies.

aravuus

But, I can't wait for the scene where the hero's smokin' hot childhood friend (whom he somehow never looked at sexually before) realizes she truly has feelings for him!

Would be nice if they both found someone else over the course of the story

Cause I like romances but yeah, that's one trope (or cliche?) that's starting to get really dull

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just don't really like Miki's design full stop, both the character art and 3d model. That said the actual adaptation from art to in-engine assets is pretty damned good as far as I'm concerned. The 2 guys look pretty great (glad to see this isn't just another teenage coming-of-age story), and even though the witch is ridiculous, she's not ..entirely unpleasant to look at.

The environment design is fantastic and the engine seems solid. Tri-ace's tech is a definite cut above any other rpg developer in Japan right now, save maybe Square.

Personally, I'm not a huge Star Ocean fan, but I see this as just one more step on the path to Valkyrie Profile 3! :)

Both emotional and physical, emphasis on the former seeping through the latter

Well the former is pretty much guaranteed in a jrpg anyways.

Yeah, this looks like the real model:

Star-Ocean-The-Last-Hope-International_2009_09-24-09_06.jpg

Meh.

Well, not played SO4 because a radom Lymle video posted in youtube...

Still looks 6000% better than SO5 femc.

dVp3YjX.png

I don't know why yellow is always such a popular choice.

Could be. I just wish it wasn't such a strong effect.

Oh god, why'd you have to bring it up, now I can never unsee it.

MrDoctor

I don't really see much of an exception to the rest of Akiman's portfolio, tbh. The checkerboard witch would have given him away had I not known the artist beforehand.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I also like Miki's design.

I think what i like about the models is that they all follow the anime style pretty faithfully. In SO4 they tried to go with an 'in between' style where they had anime style but really realistic shaders, which really made it look bad when they never made any expressions outside of their default

I think the main thing about the visuals i am noticing is that the actual environments look very realistic which could be kind of jarring. If they were more stylized and cartoonish i think it would have been better, but this is ok.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
An Xrd like style would look so much better. This looks like they are trying to bring that garbage CG from the mid nineties into the modern era (and failing).

Laconic

Banned
I would be infinitely more hype for this game, if it were to somehow fore go being part of the same timeline that inevitably leads to SO3, and its conclusion.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hype, if no Lymle - but I'd kind of like there to be the possibility of an actual, GOOD ending.

Rising_Hei

I would be infinitely more hype for this game, if it were to somehow fore go being part of the same timeline that inevitably leads to SO3, and its conclusion.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hype, if no Lymle - but I'd kind of like there to be the possibility of an actual, GOOD ending.

The solution to that "mess" would be so simple, ALERT, huge Star Ocean 3 endgame spoiler

If we get outside of a virtual universe and fight some guys in the real world, just make a sequel where the space is in this new real world...

Soriku

SO3 already has a good ending.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Holy shit, how many times does this trope appear anyway?
I think it has all the ingredients for a typical otaku fantasy.

- hot girl
- completely non-threatening (they are just close friends, after all)
- guy gets the girl without expending any effort or demonstrating any kind of emotional maturity

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Would be nice if they both found someone else over the course of the story

Cause I like romances but yeah, that's one trope (or cliche?) that's starting to get really dull
It would be even better if anybody could end up with anybody else depending on your choices, like in SO2. :)

Well, I said in the other thread too, but for you people who are desperate for an SO3 retcon, this game is your best chance =P

Since this game is situated in the same year where all the "stuff" from SO3 started being made.

Soriku

I realize that the whole "subjective" vs "objective" thing is rather played out, but, c'mon, man - Phoenix Wright is gnashing at the bit, over this one.

The ending made it clear enough that all the characters' actions mattered.

Laconic

Banned
I think it has all the ingredients for a typical otaku fantasy.

- hot girl
- completely non-threatening (they are just close friends, after all)
- guy gets the girl without expending any effort or demonstrating any kind of emotional maturity

To be fair to Star Ocean 4, it did the jobber-ing FAR better than, oh, say, Tales of Graces F.

Laconic

Banned
Well, I said in the other thread too, but for you people who are desperate for an SO3 retcon, this game is your best chance =P

Since this game is situated in the same year where all the "stuff" from SO3 started being made.

Fingers crossed like Proton Streams.

Verger

Banned
This is what happens when you try to do animu with CG style graphics. Bad. Those character faces are even more horrendous than Xenoblade X's.

May16

The nitpicking is ridiculous. Game looks good for an unfinished product.

The publisher has decided that these specific aspects are close enough to show people. If they weren't ready, they wouldn't be mailed off to Japan's biggest games media outlet.

They opened it up to such criticism. This is just what happens.

And considered how often Square Enix is begging for fan input in order to change games (I am recalling FF and KH surveys of late), hey, people are just doing their jobs here. :)

Top Bottom