• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

aravuus

It would be even better if anybody could end up with anybody else depending on your choices, like in SO2. :)

Oh sure, but I don't really know a single game that does multiple/player-choice romances well. They always feel a bit too disconnected from the main story. Obviously.

There are games where I'd love to have a choice over the romances though. Xenoblade comes to mind immediately. Fiora is so annoying and Melia is so much better in every way, but Shulk is too goddamn blind to see it. Stupid cunt.

Noirulus

Yeah the main female char straight up does not fit artistically. Plus she's got that weird dead look to her, which seems to be even worse than SO4's fem protag.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I can live with lame characters if it has cool/big towns, diverse and pretty fields/dungeons/environments and as usual a top notch battle system.

Towns in SO are usually pretty lame though IMO, but I'm hoping this changes things.

Lime

To be fair, tri-ace have been pretty bad at translating concept character art into 3D graphics. Look at the Yoshinari art for VP2 and then the actual 3D models. Alicia is a prime example of this.

valkyrie_profile_2__silmeria_art_2.jpg

grumble

She will never be in my party outside the mandatory bits. Absolutely atrocious, and disturbing to look at.

I found the witch person much worse. Silly black mini wings, a tail and a skintight costume to show off her t&a is much worse to me than an anime character with a stylized face.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wonder what alt outfits we'll get for the characters in this one. I'd like something more classy for the diamond witch to try out at least.

patchday

I really loved that Star ocean 4 even though I couldnt stand the combat system nor that annoying chaarcter that says "m'kay" plus I didnt even care for the main character dude that used to cry all the time.

Still super pumped for a sequel. Scifi RPGs are so rare! I'd buy it!!!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah the main female char straight up does not fit artistically. Plus she's got that weird dead look to her, which seems to be even worse than SO4's fem protag.

That's not correct. She actually shows emotions on a majority of her expressions. The said cannot be said of Reimi at all

Negator

I hope they bring back the optional characters. SO4 kind of sucked in that regard, the party was mostly static. SO1-3 had a ton of characters to choose from, and you couldn't get them all in one playthrough.

Zhao_Yun

I really loved that Star ocean 4 even though I couldnt stand the combat system nor that annoying chaarcter that says "m'kay" plus I didnt even care for the main character dude that used to cry all the time.

Still super pumped for a sequel. Scifi RPGs are so rare! I'd buy it!!!

Wow, I didn't know there were players who enjoyed SO4 despite not liking the combat system. What did you like about SO4 then? I think most players who enjoyed SO4 (including me) liked it especially because of the combat.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wow, I didn't know there were players who enjoyed SO4 despite not liking the combat system. What did you like about SO4 then? I think most players who enjoyed SO4 (including me) liked it especially because of the combat.

Yeah the fun combat carried the game for me.

chadboban

Can't wait to see some footage. I'm really digging the art style. This also reminds me of the time I had a 60 hour save file for Star Ocean 3 and lost it :(
Haven't played it since.

patchday

Glad you asked. I loved being on the spaceship and talking to my comrades. I guess I didnt hate the combat but just didnt like somethings bout it. Such as the way I'd lockon to a dude and not have full control. It was something like that.

But I enjoyed the story immensely!

jgwhiteus

Okay... is it me or do the characters not seem to look like they belong to the surrounding area they are in?

They just clash with the ground or something.

The guy is okay, but the lighting is way off on the female character. She's standing in the middle of a shadow and she's casting a shadow forward (backlit), but she's lit equally all around with no hint of shading. It's really noticeable around her legs.

Rising_Hei

have you played SO3? the battle system is bastly superior than that of SO4, so even if it's somehow "good" it might not be beareable by people who experienced SO3

Okay... is it me or do the characters not seem to look like they belong to the surrounding area they are in?

They just clash with the ground or something.

its kinda the point of the Franchise. They are space people clearly on a medieval planet. Of course the way the look does not fit the surrounding.

bomblord1

Banned
its kinda the point of the Franchise. They are space people clearly on a medieval planet. Of course the way the look does not fit the surrounding.

The screens heavily imply they start off on a medieval planet and end up stumbling across someone/thing with advanced tech.

Man, that's some impressively awful character design.

I'm sorry to hone in on you as there is a ton of people in this thread saying similar things but could you please explain what exactly about these designs are bad?

Lebron

I'm sorry to hone in on you as there is a ton of people in this thread saying similar things but could you please explain what exactly about these designs are bad?

Uncanny valley, uninspired? Crap, if I know. Granted, this has always been the case for tri-Ace once they entered the 3D realm and the graphic IQ kept improving. They really should stick to cell-shading or something to try and capture the concept art better (which normally looks fine). Lucky the battle system is there to distract you from their hit or miss character designs.

bomblord1

Banned
Uncanny valley, uninspired? Crap, if I know. Granted, this has always been the case for tri-Ace once they entered the 3D realm and the graphic IQ kept improving. They really should stick to cell-shading or something to try and capture the concept art better (which normally looks fine). Lucky the battle system is there to distract you from their hit or miss character designs.

Interesting response thanks.

As for my opinion the character designs look absolutely fine I really like them.

Xenus

Not really uncanny valley at all. For uncanny valley you have to be going towards realism in character design but something is off. Aka when people say they SO4 looks like porcelain dolls. This they obviously aren't so uncanny valley shouldn't have an effect. I think it's more face looks really weird then uncanny valley.

I really like the guy's design, and I didn't have a problem with the girl's either until I looked at the same picture about fifteen different times. The eye spacing is just too far apart, it's so off putting. The rest of the screens looked extremely beautiful however. If those are PS4 screens, I wonder how the PS3 version will look like.

Lebron

Not really uncanny valley at all. For uncanny valley you have to be going towards realism in character design but something is off. Aka when people say they SO4 looks like porcelain dolls. This they obviously aren't so uncanny valley shouldn't have an effect. I think it's more face looks really weird then uncanny valley.
the weirdness of the faces is probably it. SO4 they looked like dolls too, mind you. I think this one just looks too clean so it's somehow worse.
Interesting response thanks.

As for my opinion the character designs look absolutely fine I really like them.
No problem with that. Granted, I think most of us play SO for the battle system anyway. So as long as that's there, I'm on board.

Is Sakuraba still on board for the music?

Wonder how big a budget they got, might just be my memory but I remember 4 being pretty technically impressive at launch whereas going by the screenshots this seems firmly stuck in last gen. Which makes sense given it's a cross gen game but there's not really a jump forward graphically.

Suppose we'll have to wait to see how the balance between Star Ocean animu garbage and the wonderful gameplay systems works out this go around.

I really like the guy's design, and I didn't have a problem with the girl's either until I looked at the same picture about fifteen different times. The eye spacing is just too far apart, it's so off putting. The rest of the screens looked extremely beautiful however. If those are PS4 screens, I wonder how the PS3 version will look like.

Yeah, I think the screens look great so far and think the designs look good in the screens, if they adjusted the eye spacing on her they'd address the main thing that I think is probably the thing bugging me with her since it is more noticeable when seeing them next to each other. Even if they don't adjust it it's not that bad that I'll have a problem enjoying the game or the characters though. Plus how they animate them will be more important.

Is Sakuraba still on board for the music?

Yup.

Top Bottom