• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

duckroll

ZD7Wh16.jpg

The armor detail is pretty damn nice!

Yeah that's my favorite shot. I love how the armor looks.

This is probably the worst screen in the batch:

MYZFU3h.jpg

With these character designs I hope all the remaining party members are dudes.

Never thought I'd say that about anything, but there you are.

what the fuck is up with the purple haired chick's face, she looks like a doll

This is what happens when you focus-test character designs on creepy otaku.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
tqNW8RC.jpg

X3EF93T.jpg

Gorgeous sceneries. Much better than SO4's.

7aTfojE.jpg

She looks less derpy here.

i-Lo

Really can't behind the design of pink haired protagonist. It'd look fine in 2D anime but it looks just plain disturbing here. Sort of like uncanny valley.

lefox360

Banned
At least I am liking SO5 MC design more than SO4

screenshot.star-ocean-the-last-hope.1280x720.2010-02-12.144.jpg

5533D2344537D0002F
it's like... theres barely any upgrade to their visuals / engine. why cocktease with that awesome techdemo of ol'...

7aTfojE.jpg

She looks less derpy here.
tell me, is this a big fetiche in japan and it sells, or do tri-ace likes to troll the fanbase with stupid looking chars models? i hate the state of japan "animation" of today.

Arthea

this screen is liquid hype of dangerous type

I wish character design was a tad different, though.

edited: I just caught myself thinking that I like SO4 characters look better, if not by much.
There is a hope that they will look better in game and motion.

No_Style

I've never played any of the Star Ocean games before, so I looked up some screenshots from the series. I found Star Ocean 3's character designs more appealing than 4 and 5. What happened?

Dark_castle

How is it that they could make environment with great details and photo-realistic and male characters that looked decent overall and yet female characters which embodies the worst pandering outlook of japanese anime that often look downright embarrassing? Was it intentional? Or was the budget cut off when it comes to designing, modelling and animating female characters, especially their face?

Arthea

I've never played any of the Star Ocean games before, so I looked up some screenshots from the series. I found Star Ocean 3's character designs more appealing than 4 and 5. What happened?
I wish I knew what happened, it happened everywhere: games, anime, etc.
edited: I mean not only in SO, but everywhere

raven777

How is it that they could make environment with great details and photo-realistic and male characters that looked decent overall and yet female characters which embodies the worst pandering outlook of japanese anime that often look downright embarrassing? Was it intentional? Or was the budget cut off when it comes to designing, modelling and animating female characters, especially their face?

because she is a test-model, unlike the other characters in the game.

SerTapTap

Looks great...mostly. Some very apparent inconsistencies, like the faces (better than SO4 by a lot but still, that style will never work) and some of the special effects. And either there's some super weirdass DOF or some of these are heavily touched up.

This is further proof that "anime eyes" don't translate well to polygonal models. The pink haired female looks hideous.

No, it's further proof that anime eyes don't translate to a weird pseudo realistic style like Xenoblade and Star Ocean keep trying. Senran Kagura Estival Versus has fantastic eyes:

CamHostage

so why did we get vita resolution screens at first

That's just how Japan manages assets, they are traditionally super-protective over image rights and display restrictions and size allowances and logo stamping, for better or worse. (The anime industry has horror stories of trying to get materials for regionalized DVDs and not receiving best-quality material while still being saddled with restrictions on the material given.) Back in the day, Japanese studios used to announce games with postage-stamp images (and never ran Famitsu magazine content online, of course), so we're lucky things have changed even if there are still wonky choices.

The game really looks like resin kits being displayed in expensive dioramas...

Yeah, we'll have to see it in motion, but I kind of like the look of it even though it's pretty far from the photorealistic realism we're shooting for these days. It feels like a game made on a last-gen engine with the developers going crazy with the extra legroom of the new console. (Tokiden on Vita was a little like this for me, I could see the PSP game underneath but they slathered it in such nice texturing and effects that it ended up being one of the best-looking Vita games; FF Type-0 HD should have been more like that than it ended up being.) Clean effects, high-resolution-but-flat textures, depth effects on some elements to give them dimension, etc. Some shots here, they work better than others, so I'm not sure what percentage of the game will compare to the better-looking shots than the worse-looking ones, but overall, it comes together for me, and I like that it looks more creatively oriented towards JRPGs from the 2000s than games today.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I did notice in this screenshot

foEuf0v.jpg

They're in a high tech area, possibly a spaceship of some kind. So it won't be about backwater 17th century-esque planet for the entire game. Not that there was any doubt of that, but it's nice to pick out a screen that emphasizes the sci-fi nature of the series.

CSX

Those screenshots make the game look like stop motion animation but with anime figurines on a green screen

Top Bottom