• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

Soriku

I did notice in this screenshot

foEuf0v.jpg

They're in a high tech area, possibly a spaceship of some kind. So it won't be about backwater 17th century-esque planet for the entire game. Not that there was any doubt of that, but it's nice to pick out a screen that emphasizes the sci-fi nature of the series.

Nie371o.jpg

I haven't played a single SO, I've seen so many people say that 4 had an amazing battle system but everything else was shit, so I'm excited to check this one out on PS4 if they don't screw up this time around.

kewlmyc

All they would have to do is bring her eyes closer together and make them slightly smaller and the pink haired chick would be fine.

Fucking lol at the green haired chick's design though. Can't get more fetishized than that. Oh well, hopefully the gameplay's good.

The scenarios are fantastic too.

And the yellow filter ended up just being a time of day thing...

Anyway, I wouldn't get my hopes up of getting into the sci-fi stuff, at least not so early. The devs themselves said they want to get closer to SO2-3 than to 4...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
KU8fWxL.jpg

I can't decide if this is unsettling, or just extremely goofy.

I'm not feeling the Akiman influence in the character designs. I wouldn't think it was his unless I knew.

It feels like they're holding back Akiman. Just look at the designs for Code of Princess for comparison:
220125-Code%20of%20Princess%20copy.jpg

With designs like this, I can forgive the more absurd designs such as Solange(not shown).

lefox360

Banned
Well since it's a PS3 game as well I don't imagine they could use the newer engine they built.
i don't think so, fellow gaffer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0

it was supposed to be a current gen tech-demo exploring what seems to be a last-gen PBR (the visual advancement people rave nowdays in games with good light use - You want one game that has or fakes really well PBR on last-gen? Lords of Shadow 2. But that was all MSteam engine sauce) implementation. I think (not sure) they said in the paper pçresentation it was running at 720p real-time.

THE WORST part? It has decent looking characters. no anime/moe protagonists. the alien/elfen like of party members aren't a joke relief visually, and the sense of wonder that SO3 gave in full force. Reminds me of a Makoto Shinkai animation.
So much time in limbo waiting, and I feel betrayed to what seems like a cash-gab decided at the last minute where it starts off the engine of SO4.

http://research.tri-ace.com/detail_1.html

Here, found it:

Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit
Real-time lighting and shadowing used (no baked light maps)
Key features are physically-based shading models, physically-based lighting and image-based global illumination

can't fool me sayin' that the guys making this game, are the same dudes that show this level of wizardry, or that it wasn't scrapped for some reason and SO5 endend being a easy cash-grab on the development side, like i said.

Rpgmonkey

Looks ok, the character models do make it look like some kind of game where the characters are supposed to be toys or figurines. It's somewhat more appealing than SO4's doll look and it makes the metallic parts of their outfits look kinda cool, though some of the character designs put a damper on things.

MilkBeard

Even though they have low, last-gen like detail on models, it still seems like they are bullshots. PS4 version will look decent, but probably not with all those smooth edges.

Really though, I'm not that concerned about the game visually. Most JRPGs have gotten reserved visual tech, so it's really the norm.

It would probably cost way more than SE or Tri-Ace are willing to spend to make SO5 in the same vein as the tech demo they put out.

It feels like they're holding back Akiman. Just look at the designs for Code of Princess for comparison:
220125-Code%20of%20Princess%20copy.jpg

With designs like this, I can forgive the more absurd designs such as Solange(not shown).

While those aren't akiman designs, I can definitely agree with your sentiment:
tumblr_m4jattp4uv1r0vmk4o1_1280.jpg

Corin Nander also agrees.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Call me crazy but I love the character designs and the artstyle. It's...pure Star Ocean. Man I thought the series was dead. Everything looks so vibrant and filled with crazy personality. Man I can't wait for this.

foEuf0v.jpg

Those look like cat ears coming out of the green haired witch's hat.

the little girl character ...im not sure what that is but how shes grasping on his arm i can already tell that character is going to be super annoying, wish they didn't have any of those type of characters at all.

Hexa

Zi4mTaR.gif

So I've been totally misunderstanding the Witch's costume. Based on the previous pics, I thought it was checkered cloth of black and white.

wmlk

the little girl character ...im not sure what that is but how shes grasping on his arm i can already tell that character is going to be super annoying, wish they didn't have any of those type of characters at all.

Loves the MC like an older brother, too! They're pulling all the stops here.

OmegaDL50

Older brother and please stop. I have faith SO won't pull that shit.

It has already happened...twice I believe...possibly three times.

In Star Ocean 1 between Roddick and Millie, and Fayt and Sophia in SO3, and I guess maybe Edge and Reimi in SO4?

I know for a fact Fayt and Sophia are childhood friends whos relationship never goes beyond a brother / sister thing, even if you
max out the Private Actions points to have their paired ending they still aren't romanced and are friendzoned

Having another Brother / Sister combo in Star Ocean 5 is par for the course for this series.

Hugstable

Banned
It has already happened...twice I believe...possibly three times.

In Star Ocean 1 between Roddick and Millie, and Fayt and Sophia in SO3, and I guess maybe Edge and Reimi in SO4?

I know for a fact Fayt and Sophia are childhood friends whos relationship never goes beyond a brother / sister thing, even if you
max out the Private Actions points to have their paired ending they still aren't romanced and are friendzoned

Having another Brother / Sister combo in Star Ocean 5 is par for the course for this series.

Hey maybe they're trying to break the mold! >_>

The game will be fine as long as it's like SO2 or 3 for me. SO4 battle system looked fun, but I got scared off the game after the videos of it lol.

Characters look fine though, just a bit different to see them in such a realistic setting compared to their art style.

OmegaDL50

nah, you shouldn't be, the game is still good, silliness is just that - silliness.

Some always bring attention to these silly cutscenes and those that never played the game think THAT is what the entire game is all about, which gives off this misconception.

Yes it IS ridiculous, however like Arthea said, it's just silliness that has little bearing on the games mechanics or combat system. Of course I suppose it's a given people will take the worst aspects in something and overemphasize on it.

Top Bottom