• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

HMD

That's cause they probably don't. They are natives of that planet it looks like, and they happen upon the crazy futuristic space ship, that's why there's the scan of them looking scared and surprised inside of it.

Woah, that would be cool.

wmlk

I find that a little odd considering the romance element was mostly in supplemental materials which didn't make it here. :p
In the game it kinda seems forced since the romance was written for young Nier.

Well yeah, but it's also in one of the Endings.

I really like it considering how tragic both characters are. I think it works better than it did with young Nier.

Also, Kaine is one of the very few examples of characters with that kind of clothing being OK in my book. I don't trust this game to have any commentary on that, though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It still hurts :(

You can just import it since it's pretty cheap now. If you have a CFW PS3 you can play it in English now too.
P8mG5J5l.jpg

My copy. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Childhood Friend has been used many times in many JRPGs. When was the last time we had a game that introduced the hero and heroine as a couple right in the beginning? I only know of FFIV (Cecil and Rosa).

Kanann

Maybe they'll "pull a Nier" for us overseas. :p
nier-replicant-gestalt.png

Even though I think a father/daughter bond more interesting than a sister/brother one

I'm team papa too, fit the story very well

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

about no-nose-chan I'm kind of Krillin fanboy, I'm ok with it.
don't change!

klee123

I don't care what people say, Star Ocean 4 was fantastic in every single way, Meracle and Lymle were absolutely adorable <3 The things people complain about in many japanese games/anime (Cliche's, fanservice, artstyle, pandering etc..) are all things I absolutely love and can't get enough of! Hopefully this game has just as lovable a cast and funny story bits like SO4. Cant wait to see more, the new HD screens are really nice.

I'm sorry, I don't meant to be a judgmental prick, but I can see why just by your name and avatar =P

I'm sorry, I don't meant to be a judgmental prick, but I can see why just by your name and avatar =P

No worries! Everyones entitled to their opinion as long as they express it in a non hostile way and I didn't take your comment as being very hostile :p

I'm not a big fan of western games and the traits they have but I love the many Japanese/anime artstyles and tropes that come with them so to each their own :D

Any info on the main hero and heroine name yet? Did I miss it?
The heroine design remind me of Chitanda in Hyouka anime, but this one is the all purple version.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any info on the main hero and heroine name yet? Did I miss it?
The heroine design remind me of Chitanda in Hyouka anime, but this one is the all purple version.

Yeah it was in the initial news.
Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village.
Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother.
Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-announced-for-ps4-ps3#ZDMiTFW0UkBmqiOK.99

Ralemont

not me
Man... the main girl looked so off. Like, so weird :/

Why didn't they use Resonance of Fate's style.......... or at least if you want to go anime, just go full anime like Tales so they don't look weird.

And really, yet another childhood friend? @_@

I'm actually starting to come around to this being the embodiment of JRPG cliche story-wise. I think it'll make a fun drinking game. (Drink everytime someone says another character is "just running away!")

Not even being sarcastic, I think I could genuinely enjoy the story if they really go balls out on the cliches. I wouldn't even be mad; that'd be amazing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm actually starting to come around to this being the embodiment of JRPG cliche story-wise. I think it'll make a fun drinking game. (Drink everytime someone says another character is "just running away!")

Not even being sarcastic, I think I could genuinely enjoy the story if they really go balls out on the cliches. I wouldn't even be mad; that'd be amazing.

I'd join you in drinking, but I don't have a lot of faith in my ability to fight Star Ocean battles whilst intoxicated.

OmegaDL50

Yeah it was in the initial news.

Fedel Camus (voiced by Kaito Ishikawa) – The protagonist. He specializes at fencing, and protects the order of his village. So basically Roddick from SO1
Miki Sorvesta (voiced by Nao Toyama) – The heroine. She is the protagonist’s childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother. So basically the Millie / Sophia / Reimi of the game
Lilia (voice actor unknown) – A girl who lost both her memories and emotions.This can go multiple ways, Prescea, or Sophie from Tales for instance. Hopefully she isn't a complete robot and gains a personality during the game to have some degree of character growth.

Okay...

Parfait

At least SO3 had a stun locking niche. Sophia was a very viable party member, especially against super bosses that you wanted to stay away from like Freya and Lenneth.

SO4 had so many issues with magic it was insane. Stun locking isn't a thing because of Rush Mode (Outside of broken Blindside juggles), so all Symbols were were another form of damage and they SUCKED at it. Equipment for most of the game has terrible INT (which they tried to fix in the PS3 version, but they didn't go far enough). By them time you can fix the stats with Synthesis in post game, the super bosses are resistant/immune to every element.

The real death knell for Symbols in SO4 though is the fact that the AI DOES NOT CANCEL CHAIN Symbols. That instantly makes them useless for damage unless you're controlling the character directly 100% of the time.

Cerberus was good, but he was a Battle Skill that used INT as a modifer, not really a symbol. Sarah was useful, but that was because of her good AI and Growth spell. She's not bad at assisting a Blindside juggle with Tornado either.

It's so strange because it's simple fixes too.

If you don't want the AI chaining spells, make there be a skill toggle that increases spell damage, but doesn't grant chain bonuses. Fix late-game immunities by giving a skill that reduces symbol power but makes it non-elemental. Make more chain symbols that are actually useful at closer range as well as far. Balance the INT stat already so damage isn't bad the entire game.

Kagami

I extremly dislike the trend of portable jrpgs. I like them on a large screen as that's how i grew up with them. They don't need to have the most amazing graphics, but I don't like squinting down at my portable for 80+ hours.
Can compromise with a PS TV I guess.

Atlantis

It's so strange because it's simple fixes too.

If you don't want the AI chaining spells, make there be a skill toggle that increases spell damage, but doesn't grant chain bonuses. Fix late-game immunities by giving a skill that reduces symbol power but makes it non-elemental. Make more chain symbols that are actually useful at closer range as well as far. Balance the INT stat already so damage isn't bad the entire game.

No need to change anything in regards to chaining, it honestly strikes me as a bug that they can't Cancel Chain. Just fix that and allow every spell to be set as a Battle Skill and it's fixed.

Superboss spell immunities just shouldn't exist as long as there are characters that lack Non-Elemental symbols. Of course, better non-elemental symbols would help, too, as Extinction, Reaping Spark, and Divine Wave aren't very good.

aravuus

My metric for how good or bad a character design is 'how embarrassed would I be if I was seen playing a game with them'

I'd be pretty embarrassed if someone saw me playing a game with that Pussy Witch in it.

Dice//

Banned
My metric for how good or bad a character design is 'how embarrassed would I be if I was seen playing a game with them'

I'd be pretty embarrassed if someone saw me playing a game with that Pussy Witch in it.

Before someone gives you flack and says "you shouldn't be embarassed" and all that, OH MY GOD I totally get this... Kingdom Hearts rambling about the power of heart, light, and FRIENDSHIP, my dad was in the other room and was like "...what he hell are you playing?"

My face was red.

And yeah, pussy witch.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

How can that be a metric if it boils down to your own self consciousness about playing games?

That comes from the notion that you only play games you think other people who are looking at you would like and not the games you care about personally.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think the only embarrassing thing that happened to me gaming-wise is that I cried at the end of Kingdom Hearts when I had first beat it when I was younger. I feel so silly about that.

Ralemont

not me
Before someone gives you flack and says "you shouldn't be embarassed" and all that, OH MY GOD I totally get this... Kingdom Hearts rambling about the power of heart, light, and FRIENDSHIP, my dad was in the other room and was like "...what he hell are you playing?"

My face was red.

And yeah, pussy witch.

Kingdom Hearts is one of the better series I think, because 90% of the content is recognizable (to Americans). I mean when I'd be running around with Beast and Goofy and summoning Tinkerbell, I'd have strangers pop into my undergrad dorm and be like "Holy shit is that Ariel?"

On the other end of the spectrum you have FFX-2 (no regrets).

I think the only embarrassing thing that happened to me gaming-wise is that I cried at the end of Kingdom Hearts when I had first beat it when I was younger. I feel so silly about that.

I cried at the end of Godzilla. Sometimes stuff just gets you.

Dice//

Banned

Yeaaah, FFX did that to me during the Tidus x Yuna bit..... granted, that was right as puberty hit me like a ton of bricks.

These days though the ending makes my eyes well up still.

I'm perfectly fine playing games like Monster Monpiece in public :p
If anyone thinks anything let them, no one's going to ruin my enjoyment of what I like lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeaaah, FFX did that to me during the Tidus x Yuna bit..... granted, that was right as puberty hit me like a ton of bricks.

FFX's ending is effing beautiful. It was effing beautiful when I was 13 and it's effing beautiful while I'm 27. I doubt very much it'll quit being effing beautiful when I'm 50.

aravuus

My face was red.

And yeah, pussy witch.

Hahaha, I love KH but yeah, I can see that happening. Some of the dialogue is all kinds of eeeeeehhhhh

How can that be a metric if it boils down to your own self consciousness about playing games?

That comes from the notion that you only play games you think other people who are looking at you would like and not the games you care about personally.

I'm not being serious

Well, I am serious about the character's design being terrible

I suppose straight up crying with liters of tears and bawling could be embarrassing, but I don't think tearing up a bit is very embarrassing at all. I don't remember any sad stuff making me tear up because it was sad though, mostly only the overwhelmingly happy ones like, I dunno, dad and daughter getting reunited again. I don't have any specific examples lol

e: when
suzuha found out who her father was
in steins;gate, i smiled so hard my eyes got wet lol

Parfait

I guess I'm weird in that I don't get embarrassed by cheesy content, but I also dont give a fuck about any spectators and their opinions on it so ayy

Fuck why does everything have to be realistic in the west? The faces look perfectly fine. Actually the main girl is really cute, they did great.

Look! A distraction!

Eh. For as good as the Peanuts Movie looks, I feel super weirded out about Snoopy still having real fur on top of an otherwise bizarre cartoon body:

This starts to get into a real nuanced area though; hell, as is the original Purple Haired Girl (Miki) is getting all sorts of commentary, some who despise it, some who adore it, and some saying that a small adjustment to her eyes (or whatever else) would appease their woes about her. *shrug*

That said, however, there's been a number of successful anime 3D titles (largely the Tales of series works well here). I think the main problem is that Star Ocean 5 tried to inject too much reality into anime whereas the Tales Series simply IS anime without the need to impose any crucial photorealism -- thus creating a more consistent look (and arguably did it best when it used cel shading so damn effectively in Tales of Vesperia).

Fuck! Distraction didn't work!

I was about to compose something like this, and that's what it boils down to with the faces in general: unnerving doll-like forms that if they bring to mind anime, do so via Clannad. It also gives off the air (to me personally) that tri-Ace is aiming to be the Uncanny Valley's proctologist, as once is bad, twice even with Akiman doing the characters is assuredly intentional.

raven777

And really, yet another childhood friend? @_@

I feel this is Star Ocean tradition. As far as I know the only SO game that didn't have MC/heroine as childhood friend was SO2 (maybe that's why it had best story/characters for me lol). Can't really remember SO1 but I think it was the same.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Fuck why does everything have to be realistic in the west? The faces look perfectly fine. Actually the main girl is really cute, they did great.
This is a common misconception that gets reiterated everytime jrpg characters are being heaivly criticized for their design, (main guy looks almost exactly like the guy from SAO with the generic spiky black hair and blue outfit, the typical sexist character large breasted girl, and the very oddly proportioned face of the main girl). Stylized art styles are not received negatively in the west.

Journey
1800957-character_desert_2.jpg

Bioshock Infinite
BioShock-Infinite-Burial-at-Sea-DLC-Announces-Takes-Players-to-Rapture-371966-2.jpg

bioshock_infinite___elizabeth_by_mementopictures-d66mh28.jpg

Wolf Among us
screenlg6.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You do know that the Bioshock and Fables examples aren't "stylized" in that they are typical animated women in look right?

Hugstable

Banned

It happens, The Celes time spent in Solitary Island of FF6 World of Ruin. Scene gets me everytime

Reveirg

This is a common misconception that gets reiterated everytime jrpg characters are being heaivly criticized for their design, (main guy looks almost exactly like the guy from SAO with the generic spiky black hair and blue outfit, the typical sexist character large breasted girl, and the very oddly proportioned face of the main girl). Stylized art styles are not received negatively in the west.

Good points, bad examples! (minus Journey)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You do know that the Bioshock and Fables examples aren't "stylized" in that they are typical animated women in look right?
Emphasis on animated women, they have regular proportions (slightly exaggerated bodies) but are definitely stylized, look at the way the hair is rendered compared to say Elise from ACU or Lara Croft from Tomb Raider or even the photorealistic CG render of Elizabeth.
tumblr_mjts2sCE3N1rnnop6o1_500.gif

compared to

tumblr_mkghw8YT1x1rit1fvo1_r1_500.gif

I was using less extreme examples compared to say Journey, the point still stands tho, not liking the character designs in jrpgs does not=not liking stylized characters.

SO having an anime style is just sticking to whats it has always done. I don't see whats wrong with that and there's evidently been a lot of people who like that.

Zolo

I feel this is Star Ocean tradition. As far as I know the only SO game that didn't have MC/heroine as childhood friend was SO2 (maybe that's why it had best story/characters for me lol). Can't really remember SO1 but I think it was the same.

Depends on if you played as Claude or Rena.

Go_Ly_Dow

Leading male who lives to protect.

Leading female who is his childhood "friend".

A girl with amnesia.

I can't believe my JRPG can be this JRPG.

Top Bottom