• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

Thorgal

Leading male who lives to protect.

Leading female who is his childhood "friend".

A girl with amnesia.

I can't believe my JRPG can be this JRPG.

Now all we need is a guy who is dark and brooding but a complete baddies and a character to fill a weird fetishist And we are set.

Dark_castle

Leading male who lives to protect.

Leading female who is his childhood "friend".

A girl with amnesia.

I can't believe my JRPG can be this JRPG.

To be fair you can make any characters look cliche and lame by one liner description of said character. Guts from Berserk can roughly be described with the same thing as well post a certain point, but it's the overall writing and scenario that makes the character interesting to follow.

That said, nobody should expect something great writing wise from SO series.

Cornbread78

You won't be laughing when it turns out the girl with amnesia is actually a princess/queen from another far away world who carries a heavy burden on her shoulders.

How the fuck is that funny to you? Sicko :(

As long as she is protected by the main protag and they fall in love, it's all good. He will save her.

Go_Ly_Dow

As long as she is protected by the main protag and they fall in love, it's all good. He will save her.

How is that good? The childhood "friend" has been in love with the main ever since they were kids and he protected her from a pack of wild animals on the outskirts of the village.

What about her feelings?

OatmealMu

Now all we need is a guy who is dark and brooding but a complete baddies and a character to fill a weird fetishist And we are set.

I hope he betrays the party at some point. Of course, they take him back after he redeems himself, but mostly because creating a new character to take his spot isn't in the games' budget.

Rymuth

You won't be laughing when it turns out the girl with amnesia is actually a princess/queen from another far away world who carries a heavy burden on her shoulders.

Bu-but...Tears of Blood did the amnesia thing well....no wait, Tales of Graces...no I--

Damn it...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My plot twist prediction:

The girl is faking amnesia. It's you who has amnesia and you're apparently a 4D dweller tasked to investigate the Star Ocean and the amnesiac girl has come to rescue you.

Yarbskoo

I know lots of people around here have an overblown hatred for 'piss filters', but giving a scene a warmer color temperature isn't a bad thing. The pre-edit here looks perfectly fine.

I'm fine with scenes that have a warm color palette, I just think there are better ways to go about it than filtering the entire image, in such a way that no pure whites can be shown on screen. The pre-edit isn't nearly as ugly as some SO4 shots in this thread, with their washed out bloominess, but I think the more defined colors of my attempt at removing the filter are not only more realistic, but also more pleasing to look at.

aravuus

The girl is faking amnesia. It's you who has amnesia and you're apparently a 4D dweller tasked to investigate the Star Ocean and the amnesiac girl has come to rescue you.

Could be a fun twist imo

But like people have been saying Tri-Ace most likely tries to ignore the SO3 plot twist as much as possible, so I doubt something like this is gonna happen

bomblord1

Banned

I'm going to guess the girl really does have amnesia but is actually from an advanced civilization and when trying to find her origins end up stumbling into her starship.

martino

I'm not really interested in star ocean but wasn't supposed to be space opera style ?
Seem to be medieval fantasy on those screenshot ...now i'm interested !

I do really like the environments and enemy design. What's so great about the combat in these games? Is it worth the embarrassment of the character designs?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I do really like the environments and enemy design. What's so great about the combat in these games? Is it worth the embarrassment of the character designs?

Its a real time system with some good depth to it, not the best I've ever played but pretty strong. I remember some of the boss fights being one of the few things I liked about SO4, there was some real tension there

But...in my judgement, no, if you're like me and the character designs are offputting the combat isn't so amazing that its worth playing anyway.

I'm not really interested in star ocean but wasn't supposed to be space opera style ?
Seem to be medieval fantasy on those screenshot ...now i'm interested !

Most (all) of the games dump you on "underdeveloped" medieval-fantasy planets for most of the game, due to spaceship crash, malfunctioning warps, etc. In one of the screens you can see they're inside a spaceship, so this one won't be entirely set in a fantasy world.

martino

Most (all) of the games dump you on "underdeveloped" medieval-fantasy planets for most of the game, due to spaceship crash, malfunctioning warps, etc. In one of the screens you can see they're inside a spaceship, so this one won't be entirely set in a fantasy world.

Can still be interesting :).

See, I don't mind stereotypes if they are on a "starting" situation. I'm the type of guy that would love to see Japan turn their stereotypes on their head, introducing characters that fit a defined stereotype, but then develop them to a degree that they shatter that stereotype and surprise the players. It would be like introducing the two male and female protags, who are childhood friends and sweethearts, but by the end, they DON'T end up together, and the lead male falls for the geeky airship pilot(who isn't even part of the battle party, but just pilots the group around) and helps them with machine-heavy obstacles, and the female heroine falls in love with a male mage that joins the party. It kinda gets tiresome when relationships and development are telegraphed from the beginning. Male and female leads are destined to be together because, shut up, that's the way it HAS to be. You see this in Western media too, but it seems much more pronounced and formulaic with Japanese games and anime.

Hell, I wouldn't mind "budding romance" between main male/female leads NOT being a thing, and having whatever love they have NOT be a part of the party. Hell, even an axing to the "budding romance" type of love story and start off the bat with an "established romance". I'm reminded of Wild Arms 2 with
Ashley NOT being in a relationship with Lilika(who, if this was any other game/anime/manga, would be Ashley's main love interest), because from the beginning of the game, he was already a taken man and was committed to Marina(who waited, faithfully, for him at her home/bakery, working to support their home while he was away).
I think we need more of that kind of thing. Not only does it relieve us from the tired cliches, it's an interesting approach to changing up the story. Now you can't write the typical "guy and girl fall in love throughout the course of the adventure" and are FORCED to use those creative juices to develop the characters in other ways.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Is Drillhair Tittywitch that much than Polespear Stripper Elf in SO4? Star Ocean designs have always been ridiculous.

Dargor

Is Drillhair Tittywitch that much than Polespear Stripper Elf in SO4? Star Ocean designs have always been ridiculous.

In my opinion, the elf from SO4 was worse. At least the witch is using clothes that cover her body, even if its a tight outfit lol. That elf had only some strips of cloth that IRL wouldn't cover anything really lol.

Dargor

My God, I already hate pink-haired girl just by looking at her idiot face.

I don't think throwing insults is the best way to get things fixed. Its not like she wanted to have that face.

Maybe the devs would listen if you approach the issue with a more reasonable criticism.

I'll say this, I only saw bits and pieces of Star Ocean 4 and it looked absolutely dreadful. I played some of Star Ocean 2 but I don't really remember much at all.

That being said, what are the odds of this game being good? If supporting Star Ocean 5 on PS4 means greater chances of the next Dragon Quest being on PS4, then so be it.

Best wishes.

Hell, I wouldn't mind "budding romance" between main male/female leads NOT being a thing, and having whatever love they have NOT be a part of the party. Hell, even an axing to the "budding romance" type of love story and start off the bat with an "established romance". I'm reminded of Wild Arms 2 with
Ashley NOT being in a relationship with Lilika(who, if this was any other game/anime/manga, would be Ashley's main love interest), because from the beginning of the game, he was already a taken man and was committed to Marina(who waited, faithfully, for him at her home/bakery, working to support their home while he was away).
I think we need more of that kind of thing. Not only does it relieve us from the tired cliches, it's an interesting approach to changing up the story. Now you can't write the typical "guy and girl fall in love throughout the course of the adventure" and are FORCED to use those creative juices to develop the characters in other ways.
A totally different setting and purpose to the game, but Catherine centering its plot around an already long-term relationship was delicious. We do indeed need more of it.

Hugstable

Banned
I'll say this, I only saw bits and pieces of Star Ocean 4 and it looked absolutely dreadful. I played some of Star Ocean 2 but I don't really remember much at all.

That being said, what are the odds of this game being good? If supporting Star Ocean 5 on PS4 means greater chances of the next Dragon Quest being on PS4, then so be it.

Best wishes.

If DQ is actually happening on a Sony console, it will be like this and be on both PS3 and PS4. That said, the only way that game comes to the West if it's on PS4 is if Sony pays the translation, Square could give 2 shits about DQ in the west

But the game doesn't even exist yet, so I have no clue why we are discussing what system it could be on

BadWolf

If DQ is actually happening on a Sony console, it will be like this and be on both PS3 and PS4. That said, the only way that game comes to the West if it's on PS4 is if Sony pays the translation, Square could give 2 shits about DQ in the west

DQ will be releasing, if it's happening, after FFXV and maybe even KHXIII so there should be a much more meaty audience for the genre, in Japan at least, by then on PS4.

Dargor

Best wishes.

They seem to have acknowledged several of the criticisms that were made about SO4, flaws, design choices and they seem to be trying to please their fans.

In my opinion thats always a good start when you're trying to make a game (in fact, anything in life). But I don't think this guarantees this is going to be a good game. They're just on the right track.

Its a long way to go too. We'll only know for sure once they start showing more than just pics.

Best wishes.

Well, this game should be much closer to SO1-3 than to 4, since 4 had some weird people writing it (and SO5 has the same guy from SO1-3).

The gameplay being good is almost guaranteed. The story being good... Well, as good as SO1-3 I think should be reasonable to expect. Definitely won't be as bad as SO4 though.

And I doubt this will have any impact whatsoever in having the next DQ game on PS4 =P

Adachi

Banned

But the game doesn't even exist yet, so I have no clue why we are discussing what system it could be on
Sony will definitely bring DQ to the west if it's on PS4 and SE refuses to do it.

Thank you for your responses, I will keep an eye out for this game as the art looks better than Star Ocean 4 and the overall impressions seem to be more positive.

I also mentioned the Dragon Quest part because they tend to make Dragon Quest on the most popular platform at the time in Japan or Worldwide. 8 was on PS2, 9 on DS and 10 on Wii.

If supporting this game in the west means greater chances of a possible "what if + localization", I'd bite. Besides Final Fantasy XV and possibly Persona 5 if I'm convinced by Persona 4's quality, there aren't any other JRPG's I'm really interested in on PS4 anyway.

Best wishes.

Hugstable

Banned
Sony will definitely bring DQ to the west if it's on PS4 and SE refuses to do it.

Hopefully since it's a numbered title it has better chances, but I'm keeping my expectation low. So many great DQ games had been skipped on PS2, PS1, 3DS, Wii U (with the Wii U one actually being a numbered title, but it was an MMO). I'm still sad we never got that awesome Dragon Quest V PS2 remake (yeah the DS one is great, but man that PS2 remake looked like the bees knees). Don't even get me started on DQVII. I will never forgive Reggie and his comments of how much he loves DQ around the same time DQVII was getting announced for JP 3DS.

That said, I still have a bit of hope that if DQ does get announced for PS3/PS4, the chances of it getting localized are decent right now due to Sony having a really good spot in the NA market and they might be able to get Square to finally do it. As much as I love my 3DS and Wii U, I dread the game getting announced there for the sole purpose of localization.

But I need to get back on topic, so yeah Drillhair Tittywitch

Dargor

Thank you for your responses, I will keep an eye out for this game as the art looks better than Star Ocean 4 and the overall impressions seem to be more positive.

I also mentioned the Dragon Quest part because they tend to make Dragon Quest on the most popular platform at the time in Japan or Worldwide. 8 was on PS2, 9 on DS and 10 on Wii.

If supporting this game in the west means greater chances of a possible "what if + localization", I'd bite. Besides Final Fantasy XV and possibly Persona 5 if I'm convinced by Persona 4's quality, there aren't any other JRPG's I'm really interested in on PS4 anyway.

Best wishes.

Well, I guess that, if enough people buy it, they'll see that there is a huge audience for JRPGs on the console, so it definitely wouldn't hurt the chances of it happening lol.

BadWolf

Hopefully since it's a numbered title it has better chances, but I'm keeping my expectation low. So many great DQ games had been skipped on PS2, PS1, 3DS, Wii U (with the Wii U one actually being a numbered title, but it was an MMO). I'm still sad we never got that awesome Dragon Quest V PS2 remake (yeah the DS one is great, but man that PS2 remake looked like the bees knees). Don't even get me started on DQVII. I will never forgive Reggie and his comments of how much he loves DQ around the same time DQVII was getting announced for JP 3DS.

That said, I still have a bit of hope that if DQ does get announced for PS3/PS4, the chances of it getting localized are decent right now due to Sony having a really good spot in the NA market and they might be able to get Square to finally do it. As much as I love my 3DS and Wii U, I dread the game getting announced there for the sole purpose of localization.

If Dragon Quest Heroes is coming over then a DQ11 localization would be a given imo.

Hugstable

Banned
If Dragon Quest Heroes is coming over then a DQ11 localization would be a given imo.

I feel the localization of DQH is more due to Omega Force and it being a Musou game than anything, plus it's muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less to translate than a mainline DQ game

OmegaDL50

We do know based on Horii's word is that the game is in development for a console and not handheld or mobile.

He reiterated his previous statement that it is not being for mobile devices, but he also added that it’s also not being made for handheld consoles, but they’re currently developing it for the home console. ~ Horii

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/dragon-quest-xi-development-will-made-home-consoles/

The PS4 doesn't have a large enough user base in Japan to make it exclusive worthwhile so a PS3 is most likely....or the Wii U, but the PS3 power is basically on par with the Wii U so you are likely to get similar results in terms of graphics / world design on the PS3 and it has a much larger install base.

So if the game is PS3 in Japan, then it's very likely it will be PS4 in the West, much like how Dragon Quest Heroes is going to be, and how Persona 5 and Star Ocean 5 are as well.

Innolis

If I remember correctly, the director of star ocean 4 said he'd like to make an erotic game at some point.

So now I'm expecting a hardcore orgy scene between the MC, the cat-witch-girl with the nice looking ass, the shy yet surprisingly perverted companion and a tentacle moster.

OmegaDL50

If I remember correctly, the director of star ocean 4 said he'd like to make an erotic game at some point.

So now I'm expecting a hardcore orgy scene between the MC, the cat-witch-girl with the nice looking ass, the shy yet surprisingly perverted companion and a tentacle moster.

Incorrect.

It was the Producer Yoshinori Yamagishi who is a Square-Enix employee (Doesn't work for tri-Ace), who's job was basically maintaining publishing contract between SE and tri-Ace.

Meaning this had no influence on the character designs or story direction.

Innolis

Incorrect.

It was the Producer Yoshinori Yamagishi who is a Square-Enix employee (Doesn't work for tri-Ace), who's job was basically maintaining publishing contract between SE and tri-Ace.

Meaning this had no influence on the character designs or story direction.

Cool! thanks for clarifying!

I'm still expecting the orgy though...

Vena

What are the odds that the checkerboard tittymonster is the main love interest? Thatd be fairly unusual a go with the relationships.

Dice//

Banned

Geez, how could you miss the other obvious twist that either her, her close family member or culture has some "magical technical device" that will destroy the galaxy and universe and all existence

Top Bottom