• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

I haven't played a JRPG in a long while, outside of FF Type-0 HD, which I know is a different style, but this looks beautiful.

My problem used to be that I'd play them, get far, and then not finish them, either due to being underlevelled or getting sidetracked.

Dice//

Banned
tri-Ace-New-Tech.jpg

and

l_552ceb7a6a19bhpa8g.jpg

is like

2BOZXse.jpg

I'm aware both are tri-ace and therefore Japanese, but in terms of aesthetic [dot dot dot]

KiteGr

This doesn't look very scy-fi at all! Looks more like a generic fantasy world like the Tales games. I think we should get our selfs ready for another Star Ocean game with less Stars and more Oceans in it!

The two characters appear to have come from different games. Perhaps she comes from the Planet of Animeish characters.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ The guy basically looks like Kirito. They are both anime characters. The witch as well

I'm aware both are tri-ace and therefore Japanese, but in terms of aesthetic [dot dot dot]

You'd have to talk to the guy who designed the tech demo at the time, not the people designing the game right now.

If you actually look at the tech demo, the dude is basically generic western white dude #423823. Girl is Korean MMO elf chick number 5 billion.

I prefer what i'm seeing for the game now for Star Ocean.

The first one has an aesthetic that's pretty neat (if not a wee too Mass Effect-ish), but the characters look bland as shit. The second one has a character that is particularly shitty, but an aesthetic that's really vibrant and fun looking.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm happy with what we got.

Despera

Banned
The first one has an aesthetic that's pretty neat (if not a wee too Mass Effect-ish), but the characters look bland as shit. The second one has a character that is particularly shitty, but an aesthetic that's really vibrant and fun looking.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm happy with what we got.
Besides, we have enough gritty and brown looking RPGs as is... I wouldn't mind something a bit more colorful every now and then.

However

this might be a bit too colorful :p

galvenize

Huh, suprising that most prefer the current style of SO5 instead of the tech demo. I think the reason they seem generic is because it's reaching for a more realistic style. Put a personality in them and suddenly they don't seem too bland.

Only Square Enix comes up with traditional j-RPGs with this level of realism so I would have welcomed a game from another company that uses the tech demo as a reference.

That said, SO5 is on PS3 too and that witch is kinda my thing. Lemme romance her and I'll buy it day one ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

Yeah I prefer the current look as well. Much more traditional jrpg look. The only thing I really liked about the tech demo was the girl's character design. Apart from that wasn there anything to really shout about in the tech demo.

That said, SO5 is on PS3 too and that witch is kinda my thing

I wouldn't be too confident on SE localising the PS3 version in late 2016.

Rising_Hei

tri-Ace-New-Tech.jpg

and

l_552ceb7a6a19bhpa8g.jpg

is like

2BOZXse.jpg

Well there are places that are that different in real life, i don't see why a game can't do this.

Also, the first one is sci fi, about people with neat technology just talking, and the second one is in a less evolved world, with a witch using a magical art on some enemies

Arthea

Besides, we have enough gritty and brown looking RPGs as is... I wouldn't mind something a bit more colorful every now and then.

However
this might be a bit too colorful :p

There is no such thing as too colourful, especially considering how many games are devoid of any colour whatsoever.
It really looks OK, it is supposed to look flashy, it looks flashy.

Dont make a JRPG about graphics, we dont want another FF13 again. Simple graphics, big world please.

At least FFXIII was lush and colourful. The SO tech demo is so soaked in this ugly brown filter that the dude looks like he has a long, pointy nose because his skin is almost the exact same colour as the sky behind him. And Whitehero McSoldierguy is a very boring design.

At least FFXIII was lush and colourful. The SO tech demo is so soaked in this ugly brown filter that the dude looks like he has a long, pointy nose because his skin is almost the exact same colour as the sky behind him.

LOL! Until I read this I didn't realise it was the sky.

Seriously, though. The female designs in this game are abysmal, but I guess I should have expected that since they made Rena 10 year old in SO:SE. At least the male characters look better than the Space!Tidus that was Edge Maverick.

Whatever happened to characters like Maria. She had an awesome design.

I hope the game keeps up the tradition of the last two and has a morally grim bishonen with a bared midriff.

Arthea

Seriously, though. The female designs in this game are abysmal, but I guess I should have expected that since they made Rena 10 year old in SO:SE. At least the male characters look better than the Space!Tidus that was Edge Maverick.

I hope the game keeps up the tradition of the last two and has a morally grim bishonen with a bared midriff.
a morally grim bishonen! I like it, also ya, they are essential, who would even play a game without a morally grim bishonen? Certainly, not me.
I thought Edge looked OK, it was his character that I had problems with.

JoJoSono

Banned
Yeah man I frogot that 2011 tech demo. It looked so great. I really wish we could have gotten something that I actually looked like that. I wish we had more jrpgs that looked less animu, but offered something a bit more stylish. Thank god for ff15. The character designs for this just kind of blend together with all the other modern anime infused jrpgs that come out. Nothing about it stands out beyond Tri Ace's usual technical abilities. The old tech demo though had a very sleek and stylish realistic look though and I much perferd that. It was clearly more photo realistic then this, but still had that Japanese penchant for going for a more "beauty over anything else" asthetic.

What I hate about the anime character designs is that the rest of the game like the environments aren't that stylized and so clash with these ugly big eyed characters.

a morally grim bishonen! I like it, also ya, they are essential, who would even play a game without a morally grim bishonen? Certainly, not me.
I thought Edge looked OK, it was his character that I had problems with.

Edge is kind of the epitome (for me) of the post-SO3 character design issue. Basically, he's too busy. Characters in SO1–3 had a certain minimalism to them while still remaining distinct. I think this was mostly due to the graphical capabilities, but it worked well. SO4 had some designs that were just too loud, Edge's being the worst. It's, at root, the same issue I have with WitchLady in SO5 (other than the blatantly sexist fetish fuel)—there's too much *stuff* going on with her. The combination of the crazy hair, crazy outfit, giant hat, fake wings, jewellery, et. is just excessive.

The swordsman looks pretty busy as well.

I liked the 2D designs for SO4 quite a lot. Most of them just weren't translated very well to 3D. Weird baby/doll faces with dead eyes and straw hair.

I liked the 2D designs for SO4 quite a lot. Most of them just weren't translated very well to 3D. Weird baby/doll faces with dead eyes and straw hair.

That much is true. I like a lot of the 2D artwork. A fair few of the characters look significantly better.

In SO3 I actually prefer the models to the artwork, which is interesting.

GorillaJu

tri-Ace-New-Tech.jpg

and

l_552ceb7a6a19bhpa8g.jpg

is like

2BOZXse.jpg

There's also the fact that the above one looks like a studio imitating a style that is outside of their comfort zone and the bottom is a studio designing in a style that suits them.

A lot of people have been saying that the above image from the tech demo or whatever would have been perfect, but it just looks like a slightly animu'd Mass Effect to me, and I can't really see any charm or merit to it. I'm not an anime guy nor am I a big JRPG guy, but I can at least see some character in the SO5 designs. I dare say I actually like them and will be keeping close watch over how this game develops.

But, why do we want to force a studio to be something they aren't?

JoJoSono

Banned
The character designs of the tech demo aren't that removed from those of Resonance of Fate. VP also has a far more restrained look and color palate. It was hardly all "animed up". Tri Ace can do other styles, so I don't see how the tech demo's would be "forcing them to do something".

Then again Star Ocean is like Tales in that it is just anime.

Inuhanyou

The character designs of the tech demo aren't that removed from those of Resonance of Fate. VP also has a far more restrained look and color palate. It was hardly all "animed up". Tri Ace can do other styles, so I don't see how the tech demo's would be "forcing them to do something".

Then again Star Ocean is like Tales in that it is just anime.

Which is the main point of contention for a lot of people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a Japanese game to be more realistic in its character models. Lost Odyssey was really restrained(outside of giant veiny boobs princess), and i thought that was a really nice aesthetic(same with The Last Story).

But crying about realism in one of the most animed up JRPG franchises is just missing the point entirely. Its as you said, like asking Tales to suddenly not have a plot about friendship or saying obtuse lines after every battle.

That's what Star Ocean IS. People have to either take the series or leave it at that. If they really want a JRPG in their preferred style, they should petition a new franchise or a franchise that has those aesthetics to return.

Inuhanyou

Tales is also a series in desperate need for a mix up.

Now that's an interesting challenge.

I'm wondering how one would go about 'fixing' Tales.

The main thing i hear is everyone wants everything to be like Vesperia with the battle system of graces, but that's not fixing an issue. That's just taking two good points of the franchise, mixing them together and hoping its better than both

Soriku

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-staff-talks-platform-choices-development-concept

Why were PS4 and PS3 chosen as the hardware?

Kobayashi: “We thought about what hardware older Star Ocean fans played the most, and decided on PlayStation. Our choice of PlayStation 4 and PS3 specifically had less to do with wanting to stick to home consoles, per se, as much as just wanting this game to have as wide a reach as possible among those longtime fans.”

What’s the development concept of Star Ocean 5?

Ogawa: “The basis is ‘virtuousness’ and ‘a return to our origins.’ I want to complete the game so that people who like RPGs will be pleased with it.”

Kobayashi: “Specifically, our goal is ‘to make a Star Ocean game that lives up to contemporary standards and can win over RPG fans.'”

What about DLC?

Kobayashi: “We’re not thinking about story downloadable content or a complete version. Of course, if users ask for it, the potential is there. Personally, I’m of the opinion that if we have time to make such DLC, it’d ultimately be better spent just working on our next game, as that’ll make people most happy.”

What parts are you putting most your efforts into?

Kobayashi: “I’m fixated on the seamless aspect. When you’re attacked on the field, the camera will move to a position where the player can fight without discomfort.”

Ogawa: “However, there is still room to adjust the camera, I think. We’re going to be touching it up until the very end.”

Kobayashi: “All of the screenshots we released so far are real-time. You’ll move between events and battles seamlessly.”

Arthea

Tales is also a series in desperate need for a mix up.

nah, not really. Tales style is what Tales fans like. Drastic changes never worked for any franchise, nor Tales need to grow up. What Tales really need is slightly higher budgets and reuse less assets, make more new. I liked ToG so much exactly because gameplay was very different but it was still as Tales game as they go.

As for SO, I don't really know, I liked how all SO looked, ya even 4, the problem with 4 was lack of facial animations to go with so detailed faces. Then again I don't mind "busy" designs.

nah, not really. Tales style is what Tales fans like. Drastic changes never worked for any franchise, nor Tales need to grow up. What Tales really need is slightly higher budgets and reuse less assets, make more new. I liked ToG so much exactly because gameplay was very different but it was still as Tales games as they go.

As for SO, I don't really know, I liked how all SO looked, ya even 4, the problem with 4 was lack of facial animations to go with so detailed faces. Then again I don't mind "busy" designs.

As a long-time Tales fan, I think it desperately needs a shake up.I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I think the 360/PS3 generation of Tales games was the weakest the series has ever been. Its worst aspects keep getting worse, and its strengths are overshadowed by things like utterly bland texture/art/level design and poor performance on a technical level, along with stories that just aren't working very well.

Tales of Hearts was the best Tales game I've played in ages, and I think that's because it's basically nothing like the PS3 Tales games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
nah, not really. Tales style is what Tales fans like. Drastic changes never worked for any franchise, nor Tales need to grow up. What Tales really need is slightly higher budgets and reuse less assets, make more new. I liked ToG so much exactly because gameplay was very different but it was still as Tales games as they go.

Let us remember Hearts CG Edition sales.
tales_of_hearts_1-300x234.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
But, why do we want to force a studio to be something they aren't?

no one put a gun to their head and asked them to make anime mass effect. they made the tech demo themselves, i don't see how wanting to see more of that is forcing them to be something they aren't.

Which is the main point of contention for a lot of people.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a Japanese game to be more realistic in its character models. Lost Odyssey was really restrained(outside of giant veiny boobs princess), and i thought that was a really nice aesthetic(same with The Last Story).

But crying about realism in one of the most animed up JRPG franchises is just missing the point entirely. Its as you said, like asking Tales to suddenly not have a plot about friendship or saying obtuse lines after every battle.

That's what Star Ocean IS. People have to either take the series or leave it at that. If they really want a JRPG in their preferred style, they should petition a new franchise or a franchise that has those aesthetics to return.

it's not about realism. i just don't think they look that great period. this is coming from someone who likes xenosaga too.

Arthea

As a long-time Tales fan, I think it desperately needs a shake up.I haven't played Zestiria yet, but I think the 360/PS3 generation of Tales games was the weakest the series has ever been. Its worst aspects keep getting worse, and its strengths are overshadowed by things like utterly bland texture/art/level design and poor performance on a technical level, along with stories that just aren't working very well.

Tales of Hearts was the best Tales game I've played in ages, and I think that's because it's basically nothing like the PS3 Tales games.

I don't agree with you here at all, ToG was Tales game I had most fun with since ToD times. ToA was good too, but glitchy and too backtracking heavy. If we talk solely about gameplay tho, ToG was great.
I haven't played ToH, but I didn't enjoy ToV or ToX all that much. I still think that both look good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People talking about pairings forget that this is SO. Anyone can end up with anything.

Fayt works best with Albel though.

I don't agree with you here at all, ToG was Tales game I had most fun with since ToD times. ToA was good too, but glitchy and too backtracking heavy. If we talk solely about gameplay tho, ToG was great.
I haven't played ToH, but I didn't enjoy ToV or ToX all that much. I still think that both look good.

ToX has the most boring area/level design in the series history.

ToG had some solid combat gameplay, but the story was atrocious and I hated most of the characters by the end. By most accounts, ToZ is not great either.

The best thing about the PS3-era Tales games IMO was ToX2, which actually had a pretty interesting story and went in some very cool directions. Of course, it was still burdened with the terrible exploration and world design that plagued ToX1.

Arthea

no one put a gun to their head and asked them to make anime mass effect. they made the tech demo themselves, i don't see how wanting to see more of that is forcing them to be something they aren't.

it's not about realism. i just don't think they look that great period. this is coming from someone who likes xenosaga too.
Tech demo was made to get them contracts, so they went for look we can do everything, including realism. TBH, I wouldn't mind having a game looking like tech demo, but I don't think that SO5 looks worse just because it's in other style.

It sounds even more strange if you like Xenosaga, SO5 certainly doesn't look worse.

JoJoSono

Banned
"Drastic changes have never worked in a jrpg series".

Is this a world where Final Fantasy dosent exsist?

A series not afraid to change its tone, asthetic, and gameplay every few instalments? No ones asking a Tales game not to be a tales game, but new asthetics and styles could sure help the series stop feeling samey.

Arthea

"Drastic changes have never worked in a jrpg series".

Is this a world where Final Fantasy dosent exsist?

A series not afraid to change its tone, asthetic, and gameplay every few instalments? No ones asking a Tales game not to be a tales game, but new asthetics and styles could sure help the series stop feeling samey.

I had in mind art style, that's what we are talking about, no?

edited: I don't agree with you again. Aesthetics or art style have nothing to do with games feeling samey, it's gameplay that does that. You kindly show me how CoD suddenly switched to anime, for that different feel ;)

Inuhanyou

I'm not referring to your post though.

The complaints are all coming from different places.

"I don't like anime, it sucks! Lol big eyes and different colored hair"

"I don't like the specific designs used to begin with, they look tacky and perverted"

"The 3D in game models were not brought to life from their illustrations well at all"

Inuhanyou

People talking about pairings forget that this is SO. Anyone can end up with anything.

Fayt works best with Albel though.

Nel.

You'd be suprised how many people played through these games and have no idea there is a relationship system and like 20 endings in every single one of them

Hugstable

Banned
Now that's an interesting challenge.

I'm wondering how one would go about 'fixing' Tales.

The main thing i hear is everyone wants everything to be like Vesperia with the battle system of graces, but that's not fixing an issue. That's just taking two good points of the franchise, mixing them together and hoping its better than both

How to fix Tales:

Go back to CC
Have great characters
Profit!

Let us remember Hearts CG Edition sales.
tales_of_hearts_1-300x234.jpg

Oh thank heavens for anime!

Top Bottom