• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2’s Microtransactions Are Shaping up to Be Pay-To-Win

...and ME3's multiplayer was widely praised by those that actually played it and I never remember any faux outrage over it because it ultimately wasn't that big a deal.

Well, to be fair, ME3's multiplayer was also co-op, so it didn't matter if a player was far more advanced than you because they decided to spend a few bucks on loot boxes. In fact, it was actually useful, as it increased the chances of having a successful match.

Battlefront is focused on PvP, which changes things, and could create an uneven field between two players if one of them spent lots on loot boxes. But we know that the bulk of the gameplay in Battlefront is defined by an entire team. So the chances of having a number of players who have purchased lots of boxes on the enemy team are equal to the chances of your team having the same.

And if the star cards aren't consumable, there's far less grinding to be had here. And far less to be paid too.

I don't understand the argument for it not being pay to win. It doesn't matter that the loot crates only give you a chance to receive the cards that give you an advantage; the point is, if you spend money, you have a likely higher chance of receiving an item that is advantageous than someone who does not. It is not the same thing as someone who plays more than you because they are not paying for the chance to play more.

The argument should center around whether you do or do not believe the "pay-to-win" mechanism in the game is significant or not; some feel that the cards other players may receive will have no impact on their experience, and that is fine. Others believe that even if that is likely true (especially considering that it these are large matches), they are simply opposed to their inclusion in the loot boxes period.

I actually expect gaming to go down that route because consumers rarely resist and the gaming industry at its core is a business. The decision makers are deciding how and when a game should be greenlit based on numbers on a spreadsheet or a PowerPoint presentation, much like any other major corporation, You want to make your voice heard then vote with your wallet. So far consumers have done very little pushing back outside of forums and gaming media. It is the same argument we had back in the day about DLC and horse armor. If people are willing to pay for it they will keep doing it.

But people like you defending these practices don't help. You kind of contradict yourself. You're saying people should stand up, but at the same time defend companies doing this because people don't take a stand?

I can accept lootboxes as a thing to replace season passes, if and only if it is purely cosmetic, doesn't change the game, and absolutely gives no advantage over another player whatsoever. It's also very predatory on those with addictive personalities.

I know 2 people whose family have addictive tendencies that seems to run in their family. Both of them have spent hundreds on fifa ultimate packs because of this. They don't seem to know when to stop or how because it's like a drug.

It's in their best interest to keep releasing new stuff so people don't lose interest in the game. If players get bored and stop playing, that means there will be less people buying loot boxes.

One of EA's first ventures into the lootbox game was Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. And a shit ton of content was released for it for free. I don't expect Battlefront to be different. It has far more revenue potential.

Mass Effect 3 got a lot of DLC, this will get nothing in comparison...You're right about one thing, it was their first venture into it and since then they've learned that they do not need to give us as much as they did. You'll see, if you haven't been paying attention.

I actually expect gaming to go down that route because consumers rarely resist and the gaming industry at its core is a business. The decision makers are deciding how and when a game should be greenlit based on numbers on a spreadsheet or a PowerPoint presentation, much like any other major corporation, You want to make your voice heard then vote with your wallet. So far consumers have done very little pushing back outside of forums and gaming media. It is the same argument we had back in the day about DLC and horse armor. If people are willing to pay for it they will keep doing it.

If you don't push the boundaries, how do you find out if you have maximized your growth?

Sadly, you're quite right. But there's nothing wrong with complaining and making a fuss about it, because it might actually reach some people and cause them to rethink their purchase decision.

If you've actually read my posts that's not what I said. When there are weapons, abilities, or other gameplay altering items that are only available in lootboxes and nowhere else, that is pay to win. Shortcuts are not pay to win.

It's nice to finally have a confirmation. So I guess you agree that Battlefront 2's models is the same as F2P mobile gacha games. Hence they're all not P2W.

You can also get ultra rare 5 stars unit in F2P mobile games by playing the game without spending a dime.

Your point?

Hanmik

That's a far too broad a definition. I pay for better internet than you, is that pay to win?

Okay, even if you still want to call shortcuts pay to win, is it really a bad thing? What I consider bad is when I can't get a weapon or ability because I didn't pay extra for it. Someone getting a weapon early because they wanted to pay and I don't want to pay so I have to play to get it doesn't bother me at all.

Its seems really irrational to get upset over shortcuts.

this game is supposed to be an online game, where I fight other online players.. them having an advantage over me because they paid for a better weapon/stat is Pay to Win.

Even if you like it or not..it still is Pay to win..

and this quote from earlier in the thread..

Zelas said:
I've gotten one epic drop in about 8-10 hours of play. Peaked at 180 scrap and I'm not even close to being able to craft a top card. And you need so many for each class. I like the game but this beta isnt making me feel good about unlocks. Not one bit.

does not make it sound like the grind will be any fun.

Well, to be fair, ME3's multiplayer was also co-op, so it didn't matter if a player was far more advanced than you because they decided to spend a few bucks on loot boxes. In fact, it was actually useful, as it increased the chances of having a successful match.

Battlefront is focused on PvP, which changes things, and could create an uneven field between two players if one of them spent lots on loot boxes. But we know that the bulk of the gameplay in Battlefront is defined by an entire team. So the chances of having a number of players who have purchased lots of boxes on the enemy team are equal to the chances of your team having the same.

And if the star cards aren't consumable, there's far less grinding to be had here. And far less to be paid too.
These are all good/fair points. In my rush to post, noting that ME3 was co-op was an obvious difference in comparing the two games. Good post.
You just pump enough money in until you do. You will eventually because you get the scrap from doubles. It absolutely counts as pay to win.
Someone who isn't good, isn't going to just be better because they have every star card. Have people actually looked at what they do? A lot of the stuff is like a 15% reduction in cool down time.

If Blizzard can with OW deliver free DLC and updates, by just having cosmetic stuff in the lootboxes, why would they have to go this route?

I was actually excited for this, but the whole crafting and card system seems incredibly cluttered and detrimental to the game.

If you're going to have perks, you should unlock them by playing the classes that would use them. Lootboxes should only be cosmetic.

I can totally see the game dropping players pretty quickly if they sigh every time they die, and go "Oh, it's because this motherfucker has that perk".

I think in the end, people tend to stay with games they don't feel screwed by.

Kill3r7

But people like you defending these practices don't help. You kind of contradict yourself. You're saying people should stand up, but at the same time defend companies doing this because people don't take a stand?

I can accept lootboxes as a thing to replace season passes, if and only if it is purely cosmetic, doesn't change the game, and absolutely gives no advantage over another player whatsoever. It's also very predatory on those with addictive personalities.

I know 2 people whose family have addictive tendencies that seems to run in their family. Both of them have spent hundreds on fifa ultimate packs because of this. They don't seem to know when to stop or how because it's like a drug.

I am not defending them. I am simply stating an observation. You are okay with loot boxes or mtx as long as they are limited to cosmetics. So in other words you are okay with getting access to additional content as long as others subsidize the cost of it. However you are not okay if these individuals then gain an advantage (gameplay wise) for spending money and subsidizing the cost of this content. To be fair they do so at the detriment of the overall experience. Am I understanding this correctly?

Mass Effect 3 got a lot of DLC, this will get nothing in comparison...You're right about one thing, it was their first venture into it and since then they've learned that they do not need to give us as much as they did. You'll see, if you haven't been paying attention.
It remains to be seen. And the same goes to how much loot boxes will affect gameplay.
But Games as Services is the new trend these days, and it's what EA is aiming for with Battlefront. And I'm pretty sure EA understands that the service here is full support going forward, long after the game is released. Stop releasing new content after it's out and your game will be dead in no time.

That's why Overwatch is so successful and making Blizzard tons of money. The game was released May 2016 and is still getting new content on a consistent basis. The player base has an incentive to pay for the new content.

Long term support is vital for the GaaS model.

gatti-man

If Blizzard can with OW deliver free DLC and updates, by just having cosmetic stuff in the lootboxes, why would they have to go this route?

I was actually excited for this, but the whole crafting and card system seems incredibly cluttered and detrimental to the game.

If you're going to have perks, you should unlock them by playing the classes that would use them. Lootboxes should only be cosmetic.

I can totally see the game dropping players pretty quickly if they sigh every time they die, and go "Oh, it's because this motherfucker has that perk".

I think in the end, people tend to stay with games they don't feel screwed by.
I hope this game gets more DLC than OW because frankly blizzards free DLC has been absolutely atrocious especially if you factor in the money they have generated with their loot boxes. Absolutely bottom barrel support.

Guess I wont buy this till its heavily dicounted then. I will accept loot boxes with only cosmetics in a full price game (but not really like it) but I wont support this model. In a free to pay game or even a really cheap game then sure but not a £60 game.

I dont really see why they cant throw in some cool premium skins or something to get the extra money. Well I know why, this will make even more money but still. Star Wars is also really suited to cosmetics. They have the entire Staw Wars universe to toy with and people would eat that shit up.

Hanmik

These are all good/fair points. In my rush to post, noting that ME3 was co-op was an obvious difference in comparing the two games. Good post.

Someone who isn't good, isn't going to just be better because they have every star card. Have people actually looked at what they do? A lot of the stuff is like a 15% reduction in cool down time.

what does being good at the game have to do with anything?

I could buy a pair of expensive Messi Soccer boots, and be crippled by a 11 year old kid in $12 Converse knockoffs, because I am old as fuck and can't keep up with the youth here.

damn.. I must be really old, making an anecdote with no relevance whatsoever to what I was talking about..

This reminds me of when I was 20 years old, and my neighbo... damn again.. I need to stop..

Point I was going to make (before I got even older), Pay 2 win has NOTHING to do with how good you are in a game (just ask my wife), you pay money to get better stats/weapons than the other players.. you pay 2 win, but you still need to play better to win..

damn I lost my point..

So this means that I'll get my ass whooped by people who play way more than me AND people who have more money than me. Awesome!

I can't really tell how I feel about this based on the above though. This is absolutely "pay to get better", but the gulf between regular and geared up players would exist over time anyway. This just presents the risk of that timeline being accelerated.

Daffy Duck

I hope this game gets more DLC than OW because frankly blizzards free DLC has been absolutely atrocious especially if you factor in the money they have generated with their loot boxes. Absolutely bottom barrel support.

Interesting point, how much free DLC has OW got since launch? I'd be interested in the breakdown of maps and heroes.

CDV13

I play 2K games, I play Destiny, I play Battlefront/Battlefield, I play COD games. Never once spent an extra dollar on things that are not maps or map packs.

Still living. Still able to enjoy the games. I never got the backlash on these things, because we don't need them and don't have to pay for this stuff. Most of my friends who don't get on this board have never cared either. That's just my experience though. I'm sure not everyone agrees, but most people do not care about these things. Small, small group here on GAF, need to remember that.

Edit : I always looked at it like a fast pass at an amusement park. You pay the $15 bucks, you skip some of the line. We all ride the same ride, we just wait a bit longer. Since there are loot boxes, it isn't even guaranteed to be Pay 2 Win with there being random rolls anyway. Don't really see the point in getting upset if people want to do that.

Tommyhawk

Big publishers are nowadays making it really easy for me to save money.

I'm not going to support this nonsense anymore. Won't buy this game and the new Shadow of Mordor, even discounted.
There are still enough games out there (more than I've time for) that don't support this predatory practices (yet).

gatti-man

Interesting point, how much free DLC has OW got since launch? I'd be interested in the breakdown of maps and heroes.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/04/...watch-is-blizzards-fastest-growing-franchise/

That was 5 months ago. Yeah 1 billion in revenue doesn't add up with the content Blizz has released what so ever. Even with mild pay to win I expect way more DLC out of BF2.

I play 2K games, I play Destiny, I play Battlefront/Battlefield, I play COD games. Never once spent an extra dollar on things that are not maps or map packs.

Still living. Still able to enjoy the games. I never got the backlash on these things, because we don't need them and don't have to pay for this stuff. Most of my friends who don;t get on this board have never cared either. That's just my experience though. I'm sure not everyone agrees, but most people do not care about these things. Small, small group here on GAF, need to remember that.

If you actually play destiny 2 or bf2 a lot you'll earn enough crates or special engrams that you don't miss out on anything paying players do. It shits on the casual players a little id say.

Daffy Duck

Still living. Still able to enjoy the games. I never got the backlash on these things, because we don't need them and don't have to pay for this stuff. Most of my friends who don;t get on this board have never cared either. That's just my experience though. I'm sure not everyone agrees, but most people do not care about these things. Small, small group here on GAF, need to remember that.

I play CoD games and it really irritates me how bad the drop rates are for weapons in supply drops, I've got to Prestige Master and I have zero ranged DLC weapons, only a handful of melee weapons.

My issue is the drop rates and the infestation of loot pools with utter shit.

If you want to improve my thoughts on a supply drop system don't fill it with shit, allow me to have a cosmetic drop, a weapon drop, a melee drop, also don't be stingy mother fuckers with the drop rates and you best really lower those duplicate rates, or allow me to trade duplicates for in game currency in an in game store front.

It doesn't have to be all loaded in the favour of publishers you know.

Oh and don't you dare think about gimping the earn rates of in game currency a la MW:R.

Still living. Still able to enjoy the games. I never got the backlash on these things, because we don't need them and don't have to pay for this stuff. Most of my friends who don't get on this board have never cared either. That's just my experience though. I'm sure not everyone agrees, but most people do not care about these things. Small, small group here on GAF, need to remember that.

Edit : I always looked at it like a fast pass at an amusement park. You pay the $15 bucks, you skip some of the line. We all ride the same ride, we just wait a bit longer. Since there are loot boxes, it isn't even guaranteed to be Pay 2 Win with there being random rolls anyway. Don't really see the point in getting upset if people want to do that.

I've also played hundreds of F2P MMOs and mobile games, never once spent a penny on anything.

Kill3r7

Sadly, you're quite right. But there's nothing wrong with complaining and making a fuss about it, because it might actually reach some people and cause them to rethink their purchase decision.

Agreed. These discussions are absolutely worth having and people should complain and express their frustration. No one "owns" this hobby.

IISANDERII

What a defeatist attitude. "I'll always be eating shit, whether it be in gaming or in real life, there's nothing I can do about it so I may as well learn to swallow it and enjoy the taste."

After thinking for awhile, and enjoying the beta for the most part, I think I’ll skip this one.

So tired of loot boxes and micro transactions.

Rodelero

Ultimately I think the gaming community and journalists need to get a little more savy at actually discussing these issues, because they're often treated like very binary issues despite being mostly grey areas. Personally I think Battlefront II is pay to win. You can pay EA to gain an advantage in the game and by any reasonable definition it is therefore pay to win. That doesn't automatically mean the game is a disaster. You have to take into account other things, frankly. How big an advantage can they gain? Can you gain the advantage through other means? How long does it take to do so? The answers to those questions are extremely relevant. In this game's case, the advantage seems relatively significant but it also seems fairly possible to gain the advantage (or a relatively close advantage) for free in a relatively short period of time. I can tolerate that - some people will be able to and some people won't, and that's fine.

I think gamers need to get used to the reality that game developers are never going to go back to offering you a one time buy in. It's not just because they're greedy. It supports the much broader range of post-launch services and support that we expect. It means that games that might previously have a small range of customisation options are now jam packed with them. It's not all bad. There are of course alternatives, like season passes, but having bought a few season passes I know I prefer the microtransaction route, even if it is faintly pay to win. Nothing wrecks a game more than an incredibly fragmented community, and I really don't like putting money down, blind, for future content.

Basically, this article saying "Battlefront II might be pay to win" is just simplistic. It's important to know that there are ways which paying might confer an advantage, but as I said before this isn't a binary issue. A massive number of multiplayer games these days are pay to win to some degree, it's up to us to decide what is tolerable and what isn't, what is worth it and what isn't. They have to be assessed on a case by case basis, and often the picture is a lot more complicated than journalists/gamers are willing to admit/explore.

To be fair, I think it's obvious that Overwatch is in a much better position to make money from cosmetics than Battlefront is (or most games for that matter). The freedom to have skins that completely alter the look of a character is a huge advantage that Blizzard has in designing desirable cosmetic items. Whatever cosmetic customisation will be in Battlefront II, I hope it doesn't alter the fact that this game looks, feels, sounds, like Star Wars. Cosmetics that radically change appearance in Battlefront would take away from one of the core things the game is: an authentic Star Wars experience. A stormtrooper in a santa claus costume would hurt Battlefront's ability to be that, whereas Torbjorn wearing one doesn't hurt Overwatch (if anything it improves it).

The games that make all of their money from aesthetics normally do it by sacrificing any veneer of consistency to lore. That's fine, but let's not try and have that across the board. The characters and skins in League of Legends, DotA, Smite, and Overwatch, often border on fan service more than anything. It wouldn't be a good fit for Battlefront.

It remains to be seen. And the same goes to how much loot boxes will affect gameplay.
But Games as Services is the new trend these days, and it's what EA is aiming for with Battlefront. And I'm pretty sure EA understands that the service here is full support going forward, long after the game is released. Stop releasing new content after it's out and your game will be dead in no time.

That's why Overwatch is so successful and making Blizzard tons of money. The game was released May 2016 and is still getting new content on a consistent basis. The player base has an incentive to pay for the new content.

Long term support is vital for the GaaS model.

Overwatch is a terrible comparison since those loot crates are significantly different than Battlefronts.

You think it would be as successful if heroes, weapons, upgrades and abilities were locked behind those crates?

Vipu

Banned
If you've actually read my posts that's not what I said. When there are weapons, abilities, or other gameplay altering items that are only available in lootboxes and nowhere else, that is pay to win. Shortcuts are not pay to win.

Let me use this shortcut to save 2000h playtime to get the best weapons and abilities in the game, oh yeah this is not pay to win, rest of you people can get it too after you play for 2000h.

jdmonmou

Such a shame. The game looks and runs beautifully on PC. This fee to pay bullshit is ruining everything. I'd be OK with it if the crates were just cosmetic, but paying to get extra abilities in the multiplayer game is too far.

I've seen posts saying "I'd rather this than splitting the player base up with a premium pass". They are out of their mind if they think this game is getting anywhere near 16 additional maps for free. Maybe one new map and one reskinned classic map at most. There's just no way, even with all these MT's I just don't see it happening.

And to all the people saying you're earning crates at a good rate: it's the beta, it's probably sped up 200%. Expect a slog of a grind in the full release.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean, this is the Mass Effect system (and Japanese gacha system).

The only thing that's different is that the game is PVP, but if all the maps are free, it's a fair trade off.

patchday

So far before every games launch it is labeled as pay to win and its not. Destiny 2 especially i will wait and see

so For Honor wasn't p2w? If you want us to take you seriously you have to get these basic facts correct

[edit] Actually this is all opinions so whatevs

jdmonmou

Keep cutting around that mold on your loaf of bread. Pretty soon the mold is going to infect the whole loaf.

patchday

It's in their best interest to keep releasing new stuff so people don't lose interest in the game. If players get bored and stop playing, that means there will be less people buying loot boxes.

One of EA's first ventures into the lootbox game was Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. And a shit ton of content was released for it for free. I don't expect Battlefront to be different. It has far more revenue potential.

And guess what a bunch of us learned better and avoided the next Mass Effect MP like the plague. ME3 MP was a complete an utter grindfest. I still purchased ME Andromeda and Dragon's Age but I avoided the MP altogether. But since this game will rpboably have a short campaign I'll just bypass it altogether or get it cheap just for the single player. Won't touch online though

Overwatch is a terrible comparison since those loot crates are significantly different than Battlefronts.

You think it would be as successful if heroes, weapons, upgrades and abilities were locked behind those crates?

You're missing my point. I used Overwatch as an example of how companies need to provide long term support for the GaaS model to be truly profitable. It's a counterargument to your claims that Battlefront will receive little content post-release. Battlefront needs long term support to be a successful game as a service, like ME3's multiplayer needed the long term support it had. There are no indications that Battlefront 2 won't be properly supported.

I never compared how these two games tackle loot boxes or the quality of them.

And guess what a bunch of us learned better and avoided the next Mass Effect MP like the plague. ME3 MP was a complete an utter grindfest. I still purchased ME Andromeda and Dragon's Age but I avoided the MP altogether. But since this game will rpboably have a short campaign I'll just bypass it altogether or get it cheap just for the single player. Won't touch online though

I'm not sure you're right. Dragon Age's multiplayer wasn't successful because it wasn't good. Period. And Andromeda's multiplayer is the only thing from that game that is receiving any sort of support currently. It was also damaged by the game's bad reputation. Andromeda sold poorly overall, and not because of its multiplayer.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was both very successful and popular, hence it received quite a lot of free content. The demand was there. Had Andromeda been of the same quality as the original trilogy, its multiplayer mode would've been even more successful, considering the major combat improvements.

No more pay to win than buying the shortcut kits in Battlefield.

Everything can be earned through gameplay without paying anything extra. The crates are just shortcuts.

This.

The loot box system in BF2 would be an issue if it were difficult to obtain credits through normal gameplay. It's not.

Played the beta for a few hours and had enough credits to buy 5+ crates with minimal effort.

Microtransactions in Forza 7 and Shadow of War seem much worse.

a916

This. This would be an issue if it were difficult to obtain credits through normal gameplay.

Played the beta for a few hours and had enough credits to buy 5+ crates with minimal effort.

I was under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Shadow of War is SP only and the micro-transactions are completely unnecessary and should be avoided.

patchday

I'm not sure you're right. Dragon Age's multiplayer wasn't successful because it wasn't good. Period. And Andromeda's multiplayer is the only thing from that game that is receiving any sort of support currently. It was also damaged by the game's bad reputation. Andromeda sold poorly overall, and not because of its multiplayer.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was both very successful and popular, hence it received quite a lot of free content. The demand was there. Had Andromeda been of the same quality as the original trilogy, its multiplayer mode would've been even more successful, considering the major combat improvements.

The MP for both those games got next to zero hype. Heck at least Star Wars BF2 has a lot of twitch views right now.

This.

The loot box system in BF2 would be an issue if it were difficult to obtain credits through normal gameplay. It's not.

only 5 crates I'll let that soak in...

The MP for both those games got next to zero hype. Heck at least Star Wars BF2 has a lot of twitch views right now.
Unsurprisingly, since Andromeda also had zero hype towards its release. The point is none of those multiplayer modes flopped because of their loot boxes.

Duxxy3

The cost of free maps.

It's still a game a might check out sometime down the line, if the campaign is good. Not bashing the game. It's not really on my radar.

patchday

Unsurprisingly, since Andromeda also had zero hype towards its release. The point is none of those multiplayer modes flopped because of their loot boxes.

Maybe if the MP mode was good people would still buy it? You know- like FPS shooters? Or- you have guys like me that will buy the game but will 100% ignore the multiplayer modes so you're better off just not including it in the 1st place.

joecanada

Pay2Win has never been about an automatic win button.

yeah people saying "oh its JUST x" are falling right into the trap that the developers want, people accept others paying for just a bit more advantage, just a bit more, just a bit more, until almost everyone is paying something.... that would be their perfect world.

'Time to crate' has a whole new meaning in 2017.
Fuckin' A.

Almost 30% cooldown difference between out of the box and the top tier... in a game that's all about spamming cooldowns.

Way to fuck it up EA.
Yeah, considering how they've tuned this towards imbalances that you accentuate with cash I wouldn't even be into this if it was free to play.

There's got to be a better way. Something without RNG and without splitting the community with map packs.

patchday

What's worse- what we saw with Mass Effect 3 MP is that these loot boxes are great at the beginning because you think you're getting a bunch of stuff (Because there's always Common, Rare, etc rarity items). So you get flooded with a bunch of Commons and think the game is very generous. Only after playing for a long time you'll notice- "Hey!! This game is very stingy with it's loot!!! I never get Epics and Legendaries I can use!! And I cant craft that item I've been chasing for months either!!"

Loot boxes are some evil shit man. At least in Digital Trading Card Games you can craft the rares. But this is not so in these new games so it's crazy

Alright I've said my peace on the matter. I'm sure this game will sell millions but I'm glad gaf has me aware it has it so I can steer clear of the Multiplayer!!!!!

As Jim Sterling puts it: "Triple-A-Gaaaaames!!!"

Fuck AAA games.

Not buying that shit anymore if it continues down this road even though I mostly avoid them to begin with.

Top Bottom