• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars fans react to The Phantom Menace in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
not one to argue against the movie, but were internet review sites even prominent when the film came out?

I don't know, and seeing how the movie has garnered more hate as time flies, post-release reviews might be less favorable.

I'd say the average review was two and a half stars out of four back then. I read a lot of them, and I was 22. I remember.

It had dynamic relationships, meaningful grounded saber duel, practical sets and locations, a proper sense of adventure and a return of the Force as a mystical thing. We got to go for another ride with a Han Solo that is older and wiser but still the same Han.

Dynamic meaningful villain. Etc....

RyanW

I mean obviously we'll get a better representation of people's view on the film in a couple of months but it's obvious this thread is made to stir people up.

K' Dash

Excuse me, but what the fuck are you even trying to imply here?

Oh, I think you know.

Criticism for the movie is already there, it's been discussed to death in the spoilers section, but most of us agree that the good overwhelmingly outweighs the bad, just as the OT.

I mean obviously we'll get a better representation of people's view on the film in a coupe of months but it's obvious this thread is made to stir people up.

Who knew that TFA haters would become militant and try to "trick" people into realizing they don't like the new movie.

JB1981

Video is incredible. I drove home in stunned silence, crushed under the weight of disappointment. Saw it again like 3 more times trying to convince myself to like it.

It had dynamic relationships, meaningful grounded saber duel, practical sets and locations, a proper sense of adventure and a return of the Force as a mystical thing. We got to go for another ride with a Han Solo that is older and wiser but still the same Han.

Dynamic meaningful villain. Etc....

databank_tradefederation_01_169_4d5122ac.jpeg

these guys werent dynamic enough for you?

Making this a sneaky anti-TFA thread really fucked up what could have been a fun discussion about awful 1999 culture. Damn it.

Thanks a lot, OP. Ya blew it.

KorrZ

I think what might shock you even more is that if you did a similar question to this day, a ton of people will say they like the prequels.

Internet hate circle jerks =/= majority opinion usually.

THe anticipation for the PT was so high that I feel like most people's initial reactions were going to be positive upon leaving the theater. They just got more Star Wars, which is something they had been waiting more than a decade for.

Bishop89

Well it is more entertaining and fun than 2 of the OT and in the top 3 SW movies.

Makes sense ppl would love it, deservedly so.

Astral Dog

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hehehehheeee heheheheh

Haaahahahahahaahhahahahahahhaaaaaa hahahahaaa haa

heh heh....aaaaahhhh hahahahahhaaa

luls

PopeReal

Are you comparing TPM to TFA? Lmao.

Some are still pushing this narrative.

All while completely ignoring how critically panned The Phantom Menace was and how swift the actual backlash was.

But if they can show some excited people then they think their argument is made.

Funny video, I knew a few people like that back then. There is definitely something to say about wanting something really badly.

As far as the new movie is concerned, it's definitely better than the prequels but it was certainly very forgettable to me.

Savitar

Episode I was pandering with a horrible script at it's finest (worse?)

It's what made me realize that Lucas wasn't the infallible genius he was hyped to be.

Dead

well not really...yet
lulz harry knowles

but jesus, was this a right on the money prediction:

That’s why you’re gonna love THE LORD OF THE RINGS that Peter Jackson is working on. Every complaint that STAR WARS fans have with this film, is not in Peter’s film. Peter is a fan, like us, that wants to take things to the next level, and ultimately... George is still at the same level he was at before.

posted 1999, 2 and a half years before the movie even came out.

Zombine

Banned
The Phantom Menace is a fun movie though. Flawed, yes, but fun. The only one of the prequels I don't enjoy is Attack of The Clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom