• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens takes over Entertainment Weekly

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
IMAX Poster
84mQ8hd.jpg

Cool art ruined by giant text.

Breznican's written another short article on General Hux and Starkiller Base. Some interesting speculation about Starkiller Base in there.

His disdain for idiosyncrasy applies to allies, too. You might assume the cold, calculating General Hux would be on good terms with Kylo Ren, Adam Driver’s emotion-driven, Darth Vader-obsessed enforcer for the First Order. But you’d be wrong.

There is tension in the ranks of the leadership. Consider them… frenemies.

“He’s kind of opposite Kylo Ren,” Gleeson says. “They have their own relationship, which is individual and unusual. One of them is strong in different ways than the other. They’re both vying for power.”

I suspected Kylo and Hux wouldn't like each other much.

This is the first time I've worried about something in relation to this movie. The idea for the base sounds a little fanfiction-ish.

"The ability to destroy a planet? Pfft! How about a STAR!"

This is the first time I've worried about something in relation to this movie. The idea for the base sounds a little fanfiction-ish.

Sounds like something a superpower would do in a science fiction movie called Star Wars.

Sounds like something a superpower would do in a science fiction movie called Star Wars.
I can understand the disappointment, but it is a silly plot detail to be overly concerned about. I mean, iterating on weapons of mass destruction is such an integral/defining trait of superpowers that it would be kind of illogical for it not to progress this way in some fashion. Just look at a chart of the destructive capabilities of nuclear weapons since WW2.

I can understand the disappointment, but it is a silly plot detail to be overly concerned about. I mean, iterating on weapons of mass destruction is such an integral/defining trait of superpowers that it would be kind of illogical for it not to progress this way in some fashion. Just look at a chart of the destructive capabilities of nuclear weapons since WW2.

It would literally make no sense otherwise. A force like this needs to be able to instill fear across the galaxy and they have the tech to do it as well as the know how.

Guy.brush

I wonder how they will show the starkiller weapon operating?
To kill a star system, you better be outside that star system. And being outside a star system means their projectile/beam would travel something like:

Earth 1.000 8.3 minutes
Mars 1.523 12.6 minutes
Jupiter 5.203 43.2 minutes
Saturn 9.538 79.3 minutes
Uranus 19.819 159.6 minutes
Neptune 30.058 4.1 hours
Pluto 39.44 5.5 hours

So imagine you have a weapon that turns our sun into a red giant. You better be farther out than e.g. Pluto which is 40 AU away from the sun. Your deathray beam would take 6 hours to reach your target.

I know it is space fantasy. Sound in space, lasers that are really slow, Hyperspace. etc But how relative distances and time works with Hyperspace can be more easily hand waved away than this stuff. They will have to compress spaces inside solar systems so much it will look like a children's model in 1st grade physics class.

Blader

It would literally make no sense otherwise. A force like this needs to be able to instill fear across the galaxy and they have the tech to do it as well as the know how.

Although you have to wonder just what the know how for converting a planet into a star-destroying (ha) superweapon is, exactly.

Guy.brush

They travel through hyperspace by going vroom through a mylar tunnel, man.

Then why even worry about it?

True. The whole thing. with tech or how long travel takes in SW has always been all over the place. They brushed over it most of the time or just didn't try to detail it at all (contrary to Star Trek which benefitted SW imo)
e.g. travel time to Dagobah, Cloud City or from Tatooine to Coruscant (backwater planet to bright center of the Galaxy)
The Death Star in ANH is an especially weird thing anyway. Can it do hyperspace travel? If so than why was there a countdown for when it would have orbited around Yavin's star to target Yavin IV?
If it is not hyperspace capable, a StarKiller base would be absolutely worthless.

General Hux:
"Ok now that we demonstrated the full power of this stat...er planet, let's travel to Coruscant system."
First Order Officer:
"Sir...we don't have a hyperspace drive"
General Hux
".."

All you need is a little missile with some trilithium. These Star Wars scientists have a looong way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom