• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Ball is probably practical. The head is probably CG.

They never cease to amaze me with what they’re able to come up with, you know? I said, ‘How are you ever gonna top R2-D2, the most adorable droid in movie history?’ And then they have this new one,” Hamill said. “I can’t even tell you his name, but you saw it in the trailer. And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed.

He wouldn't have said this if it was half-CGI. Especially when he is so amazed with the tech behind it. A remote controlled rolling ball is not impressive, at all. Mark Hamill's description makes no sense if the head is CGI.

LastNac

He wouldn't have said this if it was half-CGI. Especially when he is so amazed with the tech behind it. A remote controlled rolling ball is not impressive, at all. Mark Hamill's description makes no sense if the head is CGI.

I'm also not expecting Hamill to be super tech savvy. If one thing is practical I would assume he would be "Yeah, we are practical."

Cheebo

Banned
I'm also not expecting Hamill to be super tech savvy. If one thing is practical I would assume he would be "Yeah, we are practical."

But he called the way it works on set amazing. A little remote rolling ball isn't amazing. It's the stationary head that causes people to get intrigued by it. They had remote control R2 units in the original films, he wouldn't suddenly be amazed by something far less advanced.

There is nothing he says to indicate any of it, especially half of it is CGI.

Dead Man

But he called the way it works on set amazing. A little remote rolling ball isn't amazing. It's the stationary head that causes people to get intrigued by it. They had remote control R2 units in the original films, he wouldn't suddenly be amazed by something far less advanced.

Not to weigh into the head debate, but a ball that is user controlled would be amazing to plenty of people, I think. Same as mono cycles are.

I'd say the ball is real, the head is cg.

The head could be real, like that ms-paint sketch shown in this thread, if it only moved about the same axis of the ball. However, the ball and the head move in two axes to each other, thus I would be very interested to see how it could be done without having the head as cg.

Looks good though, I like it already has character to it.

A remote controlled rolling ball would be pretty amazing. You can't just go out and buy one. If you can, I'd like to buy one.

Edit: you can buy them apparently, looks pretty cool:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JMRbev1nvw

Still, the remote ball is the easier part. How would they do the head?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

The head could be real, like that ms-paint sketch shown in this thread, if it only moved about the same axis of the ball. However, the ball and the head move in two axes to each other, thus I would be very interested to see how it could be done without having the head as cg.

If part of it was CG then Mark's quote makes no sense:

"And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed."

There would be nothing amazing about a ball and he probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to say it was real if it was only half real.

It wouldn't be that difficult for them to build a practical puppet with both ball and head, they have all sorts of old school techniques at their disposal that aren't simply CGI. It's not like they built a functioning droid that works exactly as you see. One possibility is the sketch you mention, with a combination of two slightly separated hemispheres with a weighted rod to hold up the head, then puppet strings or stabilization lines to stabilize and control rotation of the head when the ball rolls. You are right that it would restrict motion of the ball though, so to solve that they could instead build a gyroscopic chassis for the ball--not unlike a dyson rollerball vaccum--that holds up the head and houses whatever movement controls that are necessary, while the ball is able to freely roll within. Just some minor digital removal to hide all traces combined with a design that would hide most of it depending on the angle of the camera and there you go.

For my money, I would guess it is controlled by a puppeteer, not via a remote, and pushed around like a childs push toy with a minimal chassis like I described. Like with a rod and handles, stabilized head with controls, and a chassis that allows the ball to roll freely. That would give it a more human/natural range of motion with the freedom to improvise without laborious setup and also explain how Hamill was able to dick around with it. It would be cheaper and more practical.

dejay

Banned
This design won't work, but something like it might for a remote control:

jUXvgeI.jpg

A large, heavy ball is held in place like an old fashioned mouse ball and acts as a drive wheel, kinda like a rat runnning in a treadmill. Around the ball is a chassis which rests on the outer sphere by wheels or some shit and also has the little motors that drive the ball. On top of the chassis is a set of magnets that keeps the relatively light head on top of the ball, which isn't attached at all. You can rotate the magnet to get the head of the droid to rotate.

Saying that, it's more likely a puppet, but I can see something like the above working.

Cheebo

Banned
If part of it was CG then Mark's quote makes no sense:

"And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed."

There would be nothing amazing about a ball and he probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to say it was real if it was only half real.
It's strange. They are basically calling Mark Hamill a liar as far as I can tell since if half of it was CGI it would directly contradict Hamills statement. Not to mention a remote ball wouldn't blow his mind. They had remote R2s 35 years ago he worked with. They sell toy balls that do that

Konka

Banned
It's strange. They are basically calling Mark Hamill a liar as far as I can tell since if half of it was CGI it would directly contradict Hamills statement. Not to mention a remote ball wouldn't blow his mind. They had remote R2s 35 years ago he worked with. They sell toy balls that do that

Yeah it's pretty incredible how people can convince themselves of something entirely false up tot he point where they won't even listen to people who directly interacted with it.

jwillenn

The idea of a cross hilt is to catch the downward strike of another sword (lightsaber), and I don't see how this thing would do that. A lightsaber would just cut straight through the hilt.

It's designed to look cool, but functionally it seems dumb as fuck.

I guess it's going to take people seeing the scene in the movie where a lightsaber doesn't cut through the hilt...

LNBL

Is the trailer now in cinema's world wide too? Going to watch Hunger games later, would be awesome to see it on the big screen ! (Sweden)

a916

A remote controlled rolling ball would be pretty amazing. You can't just go out and buy one. If you can, I'd like to buy one.

Edit: you can buy them apparently, looks pretty cool:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JMRbev1nvw

Still, the remote ball is the easier part. How would they do the head?

I have no idea but I'm going to guess and say there's a magnet inside the ball facing up (and a counter weight at the bottom to keep the magnet at the top) and that keeps the head at the top but still allows the ball to roll around almost independently

kramer

The ball droid is real, but the man operating it is in a contraption running alongside and he's cgi'ed out.

Source from someone who visited the set, but this was the only info they could give without breaking NDA, annoyingly.

maharg

idspispopd
You guys all realize that they used vaseline on the lens to make the wheels on the landspeeder in ANH invisible, right?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What's the best SW (making of) docu to watch? Empire of Dreams? Or recommend any others, I'm in the mood for SW background

Randam

post-processing is different than cgi

Why do you say that? What specifically is cgi in the gif.

I would be willing to bet it works exactly like a Segway:
http://www.rivervalleyadventure.com/images/segways/x2/segway-x2-turf.jpg

Only instead of two wheels it's the two halves of the ball/sphere that aren't perfectly sealed, so as to leave a space for the pole that the head sits on.. And any CG would just be to fill in the slit in the ball.

Oh you. Rebel till the end, huh?

I can tell from having seen a great number of ball droids in my time and by looking at the pixels.

"I'm an expert"

The scene likely is touched up with CG, but doesn't mean the droid is CG.

Alot of the stuff in Ep1 people claim is CG, was actually models and practical puppets that were simply touched up with CG

the head and the way it moves just doesn't look like there wasn't some kind of "help".
maybe it wasn't cgi.
but they did something to make it look like it does in the trailer.

Cheebo

Banned
the head and the way it moves just doesn't look like there wasn't some kind of "help".
maybe it wasn't cgi.
but they did something to make it look like it does in the trailer.

The science behind the droid is real and has been shown before in previous posts. Mark Hamill says it isn't cgi, that the droid is practical. I am willing to trust Hamill over you, sorry. ;)

Rootbeer

Banned
There must be dozens of do-it-yourself droid builders out there right now working on their own working versions. And I can't wait to see them.

It must be very encouraging for people with that drive and skillset to know that Disney hires fans to work on SW, so yeah, get to work guys! Let's see those BB-8s

Dead Man

The science behind the droid is real and has been shown before in previous posts. Mark Hamill says it isn't cgi, that the droid is practical. I am willing to trust Hamill over you, sorry. ;)

I haven't seen a link with the head working like that in purely practical ways, must have missed it, do you have it?

I haven't seen a link with the head working like that in purely practical ways, must have missed it, do you have it?
Practical doesn't mean they built a robot that works exactly as you see it. It is not difficult for them to build a puppet with digital removal of rods, motors, wires, or whatever else they use. The way it bobs looks like it is light weight and suspended, which would be difficult to portray digitally.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I’m sure he loved the new little droid that’s a rolling ball. I’m sure he wants it under the tree this Christmas. They never cease to amaze me with what they’re able to come up with, you know? I said, “How are you ever gonna top R2-D2, the most adorable droid in movie history?

does that mean theres no r2d2? or is he still in? and C3PO?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
R2-D2 and C-3PO are basically the Star Wars equivalent to Mickey and Donald.

Star Wars is owned by Disney now.

So what do you think?

well it bugs me that this bb8 Thing apparently has a bigger part to Play.
i dont like how he Looks..
also, bb8 is a stupid Name.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
well as long as bb8 isnt the new goto droid and r2/c3 do have equal Screen time i guess i can deal with it.

I assume they will keep to tradition and put R2 and 3P0 in every one of the "core" numbered Star Wars films.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
BB-8 is incredibly clever guys. BB like Basketball, 8 as an infinity sign, it keeps on rolling, forever. Eventually, it will roll its way straight into our collective hearts <3

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's what they said of Jar Jar Binks.

Jar Jar Binks wasn't clever. Gungan City itself was really cool though, conceptually, I mean giant bubble domes under water? How fucking cool is that?

Edit: Though you'd think a race that built cities near the fucking center of a planet would have some ballin' shield technology, which they obviously don't considering they were nothing but cannon fodder

televator

BB-8 is incredibly clever guys. BB like Basketball, 8 as an infinity sign, it keeps on rolling, forever. Eventually, it will roll its way straight into our collective hearts <3

I like the name, but I admit I'm biased since it follows the chassis code series of a car I like.

Moff

I never liked r2d2 and c3po that much honestly, I'm certainly dont mad if we don't see them in every star wars episode for eternity. retire them , I'm fine with it.

injurai

Banned
I never liked r2d2 and c3po that much honestly, I'm certainly dont mad if we don't see them in every star wars episode for eternity. retire them , I'm fine with it.

Their charm is certainly losing it's effect after they were shoehorned throughout the prequel trilogy.

I loved the droid companions in Kotor, so I'm excited to see how other quirks and personalities might the new droids bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom