• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

I really dont see why people watch some overacting people (especially the girl second to top left) react to things. Thats the reason I just dont understand how you can stand a Pewdiepie video for more than 30 seconds.

I don't enjoying seeing the ones that are "overacting" but some of the reactions were pretty fun. Especially the moment the tune kicks in and the millennium falcon shows up..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There's a part of me that thinks that the pleasure derived from seeing the Millenium Falcon is so "cheap". So "easy". I can't believe they got away with so much emotional impact for so little work. Just show the Falcon in any way... that's all you had to do??

And yet... it worked on me. I had genuine, involuntary glee-gasms the first 10 or so times I watched that part of the trailer.

I really dont see why people watch some overacting people (especially the girl second to top left) react to things. Thats the reason I just dont understand how you can stand a Pewdiepie video for more than 30 seconds.
If it's a genuine reaction, I quite enjoy seeing it. However, stuff like Pewdiepie where it's the showboating screaming for no reason and overreacting because there's a camera on drives me nuts.

dejay

Banned
There's a part of me that thinks that the pleasure derived from seeing the Millenium Falcon is so "cheap". So "easy". I can't believe they got away with so much emotional impact for so little work. Just show the Falcon in any way... that's all you had to do??

And yet... it worked on me. I had genuine, involuntary glee-gasms the first 10 or so times I watched that part of the trailer.

Falcon + main theme + tie fighters + tie fighter noises + blaster noises = so much Star Wars compressed into 8 seconds of video. Amazing what Abrams managed to pull off in 8 seconds that Lucas couldn't pull off in 3 prequels.

Cheebo

Banned
well as long as bb8 isnt the new goto droid and r2/c3 do have equal Screen time i guess i can deal with it.

From everything that is being reported BB-8 IS the new go-to droid who is there for the entire adventure, if not entire trilogy. I fully expect him to have much more screen time than R2/Threepio.

injurai

Banned
From everything that is being reported BB-8 IS the new go-to droid who is there for the entire adventure, if not entire trilogy. I fully expect him to have much more screen time than R2/Threepio.

Is he the only new droid? Or will there be another human cyborg relations type droid as well?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.

what in the fuck?
worse than hitler

Cheebo

Banned
Is he the only new droid? Or will there be another human cyborg relations type droid as well?

No new Threepio like droid at all it looks like. In terms of R2 and Threepio's screen time here is a very minor spoiler, spoiler tagging just in case:
They are apparently with Leia at the Alliance headquarters that gets visited, they don't take part in the big on-going adventure. While BB-8 is there for entire film.
. BB-8 is essentially a lead in this movie by all indications.

what in the fuck?
worse than hitler

Things change. This is about a new generation. Who is to say BB-8 won't be awesome? I hope you aren't expecting Luke to be a lead in this movie as well or you are in for a rude awakening there as well...

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
No new Threepio like droid at all it looks like. In terms of R2 and Threepio's screen time here is a very minor spoiler, spoiler tagging just in case:
They are apparently with Leia at the Alliance headquarters that gets visited, they don't take part in the big on-going adventure. While BB-8 is there for entire film.
. BB-8 is essentially a lead in this movie.

Things change. This is about a new generation.

omg ist getting worse..
your kidding, arent you?
Prequel trilogy redeemed

Cheebo

Banned
omg ist getting worse..
your kidding, arent you?
Prequel trilogy redeemed
Not kidding. If you want to see a movie where nothing changes from the originals this is not that movie.
And yeah, no. So bad:
This+one+sorry+for+that+deleted+comment+_6646021a4eab3d50db0d199967dcfc26.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Not kidding. If you want to see a movie where nothing changes from the originals this is not that movie.
And yeah, no. So bad:
This+one+sorry+for+that+deleted+comment+_6646021a4eab3d50db0d199967dcfc26.jpg
Maaaan when you look at the antics the droids got into in the OT and compare it to the stuff George came up with for them in Episode II and III... ugh, Goddamn it George, why is it disappointment all the way down?

Cheebo

Banned
From Entertainment Weekly:

And, in a way, Luke is present in the trailer. That sound effect of a lightsaber activating at the end of the footage matches perfectly with the sound of Luke’s weapon from the earlier films.

Hamill’s only response to that is: “Ha ha ha. You’re a clever, clever boy.”

Blizzard

Banned

Trike

After just watching the whole saga again over the course of six days, I am getting a bit nervous for the new trilogy due to the new lightsaber gimmick. Not because I think it looks stupid and that alone could ruin a movie, but it seems like a sign that they don't get what made the lightsaber fights cool in the original trilogy vs the soulless spectacle that is the prequel trilogy. Then again, the could always have fights with actual impact and just have a new lightsaber because they want to make it look cool.

Jaeger

After just watching the whole saga again over the course of six days, I am getting a bit nervous for the new trilogy due to the new lightsaber gimmick. Not because I think it looks stupid and that alone could ruin a movie, but it seems like a sign that they don't get what made the lightsaber fights cool in the original trilogy vs the soulless spectacle that is the prequel trilogy. Then again, the could always have fights with actual impact and just have a new lightsaber because they want to make it look cool.

For the last time, crazy looking lightsabers is nothing new to SW. Everything from crossguards, to lightwhips have already been well established in the canon (now Legacy) material for decades.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

neorej

ERMYGERD!

They should hire a proper fight choreographer. It makes all the difference, regardless of the lightsaberform.

This shits all over the prequel fights

Trike

Everything.

Nope, it has nothing to do with the films. I am not having doubts because it is something unestablished within the series, or because I think the lightsaber looks dumb. I am having doubts due to them adding variations to the lightsabers in the movie just so that the fights look cooler/unique. That is the only reason why Darth Maul had a double-sided lightsaber in Phantom Menace, because it really didn't seem to help him out much in a fight. Even Dooku had a little droop in his lightsaber to make it unique, and Anakin used two to make things even more of a spectacle. But really, they were all boring sterile fights in the prequel trilogy. The original didn't rely on any special gimmicks for the lightsaber, it had memorable fights because of everything that the fight represented.

I don't care that someone has the misfortune for being known for making a "lightsaber whip", I just know that a fancy looking lightsaber in the series is synonymous with boring, soulless fights. If they actually have a reasoning behind the crossguard looking thing and/or the lightsabers fights have a real impact on the characters then I am good.

They should hire a proper fight choreographer. It makes all the difference, regardless of the lightsaberform.

This shits all over the prequel fights

While they looked too staged, that wasn't the real issue for me. It wasn't that they didn't look cool enough, it's that they had no real weight or emotion behind them. It's not about what the lightsaber looks like, it is about what the crazier lightsaber form seems to represent in the prequels.

Jaeger

Nope, it has nothing to do with the films. I am not having doubts because it is something unestablished within the series, or because I think the lightsaber looks dumb. I am having doubts due to them adding variations to the lightsabers in the movie just so that the fights look cooler/unique. That is the only reason why Darth Maul had a double-sided lightsaber in Phantom Menace, because it really didn't seem to help him out much in a fight. Even Dooku had a little droop in his lightsaber to make it unique, and Anakin used two to make things even more of a spectacle. But really, they were all boring sterile fights in the prequel trilogy. The original didn't rely on any special gimmicks for the lightsaber, it had memorable fights because of everything that the fight represented.

I don't care that someone has the misfortune for being known for making a "lightsaber whip", I just know that a fancy looking lightsaber in the series is synonymous with boring, soulless fights. If they actually have a reasoning behind the crossguard looking thing and/or the lightsabers fights have a real impact on the characters then I am good.

Well, we won't know what kind of impact it will have until the film actually comes out, now will we? Also, all of your complaints are just your view. Your opinion. Not everyone sees the prequels fights that way. The prequel hate is tired.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

While they looked too staged, that wasn't the real issue for me. It wasn't that they didn't look cool enough, it's that they had no real weight or emotion behind them. It's not about what the lightsaber looks like, it is about what the crazier lightsaber form seems to represent in the prequels.

Which is what you fix by hiring a fight choreographer that actually knows the flow of battle. Every swing, kick, jump and movement must have reasoning behind it, that gives the fight weight, momentum and emotion.

For instance; The Raid 2 bathroom scene is one of the most intense fights out of the two movies. Why? Because the choreographer actually sat down and thought about each move, how Rama would respond to each attacker's movement and how the crowd would respond to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvVdpM8z6k

Then there's the infamous Matrix fight against the legion of Smiths. Ludicrous CGI apart, the fight starts off good, but quickly devolves into Neo doing cool shit beating up Smith to do more cool shit for the sake of doing cool shit. Notice all the Smiths standing around waiting for Neo to do cool shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXaRtc1f4I

I appreciate your concern for the lightsaberform to be a token for cool shit for the sake of cool shit, but I think you're reading too much into it. First of all, JJ Abrams has shown true love for the franchise, even Kevin Smith is on board this hypetrain after a set-visit and we all know Smith's love for Star Wars, his hate for the prequels (and Jar Jar in particular).

Second, fight choreography is seperate from lightsaber forms. Not unlike The Matrix Reloaded, fighters in the prequels were spending too much time standing around waiting for the other to do cool shit. Mistaking the new lightsaber to be a herald for prequel-style fighting is a presumption based on nothing rational, since the entire crew from the prequels has been replaced. Assuming JJ is bringing the choreographer from Into Darkness with him, this is promising.

Trike

Well, we won't know what kind of impact it will have until the film actually comes out, now will we? Also, all of your complaints are just your view. Your opinion. Not everyone sees the prequels fights that way. The prequel hate is tired.

Okay? I am not saying any of it is definite, I was saying that I was a bit nervous upon rethinking the lightsaber. I am sorry if you ever thought that my opinions were fact. But the prequels are heavily criticized/hated for a reason.

Which is what you fix by hiring a fight choreographer that actually knows the flow of battle. Every swing, kick, jump and movement must have reasoning behind it, that gives the fight weight, momentum and emotion.

For instance; The Raid 2 bathroom scene is one of the most intense fights out of the two movies. Why? Because the choreographer actually sat down and thought about each move, how Rama would respond to each attacker's movement and how the crowd would respond to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvVdpM8z6k

Then there's the infamous Matrix fight against the legion of Smiths. Ludicrous CGI apart, the fight starts off good, but quickly devolves into Neo doing cool shit beating up Smith to do more cool shit for the sake of doing cool shit. Notice all the Smiths standing around waiting for Neo to do cool shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXaRtc1f4I

I appreciate your concern for the lightsaberform to be a token for cool shit for the sake of cool shit, but I think you're reading too much into it. First of all, JJ Abrams has shown true love for the franchise, even Kevin Smith is on board this hypetrain after a set-visit and we all know Smith's love for Star Wars, his hate for the prequels (and Jar Jar in particular).

Second, fight choreography is seperate from lightsaber forms. Not unlike The Matrix Reloaded, fighters in the prequels were spending too much time standing around waiting for the other to do cool shit. Mistaking the new lightsaber to be a herald for prequel-style fighting is a presumption based on nothing rational, since the entire crew from the prequels has been replaced. Assuming JJ is bringing the choreographer from Into Darkness with him, this is promising.

I think you are missing my point. Yes, if they were better choreographed they would be more enjoyable, they fights would have a real flow to them, and we probably wouldn't have gotten the swinging around on ropes crap. But the circumstances surrounding the fight and what will happen based on the outcome is what really drives the audience to be so invested in said fight. That is why Luke going beserk on Vader in RotJ is way more interesting than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fighting Darth Maul because he is a Sith. It isn't something that can necessarily be fixed by choreography.

Taking the different looking lightsaber as an omen of bad things to come is probably not that rational, especially based on everything we heard from JJ and others. Probably just got a little worried from watching the prequels.

Also Kevin Smith enjoyed the prequels.

My hope is that the fights resemble the cinematic from the Old Republic game. IMO this is the best we have had yet with duels. Every action has weight, and meaning behind it. They are just twirling for twirling's sake. I wonder what studio did these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ojYM2wYNHc&index=139&list=WL

I hope not. It just looks like the prequel fights on crack. Lot of lazy ship designs there. I'm hoping for a much more reserved style of fighting, at least for some of the participants.

It would be cool is Luke's style remained relatively unchanged from ROTJ but showed that he could hold his own against others with perhaps a more prequel style - providing how showy and indulgent the latter is.

I hope not. It just looks like the prequel fights on crack. Lot of lazy ship designs there. I'm hoping for a much more reserved style of fighting, at least for some of the participants.

It would be cool is Luke's style remained relatively unchanged from ROTJ but showed that he could hold his own against others with perhaps a more prequel style - providing how showy and indulgent the latter is.
Completely agree with you :)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Okay? I am not saying any of it is definite, I was saying that I was a bit nervous upon rethinking the lightsaber. I am sorry if you ever thought that my opinions were fact. But the prequels are heavily criticized/hated for a reason.

I think you are missing my point. Yes, if they were better choreographed they would be more enjoyable, they fights would have a real flow to them, and we probably wouldn't have gotten the swinging around on ropes crap. But the circumstances surrounding the fight and what will happen based on the outcome is what really drives the audience to be so invested in said fight. That is why Luke going beserk on Vader in RotJ is way more interesting than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fighting Darth Maul because he is a Sith. It isn't something that can necessarily be fixed by choreography.

Taking the different looking lightsaber as an omen of bad things to come is probably not that rational, especially based on everything we heard from JJ and others. Probably just got a little worried from watching the prequels.

Also Kevin Smith enjoyed the prequels.

Ah, yes, I missed your point. Yeah, actually building a story around the fight is essential, but as we've established earlier in his career: Lucas is a terrible writer. The Maul-scene in particular felt like "and then they come across Darth Maul and they fight. Darth Maul loses and dies."

I actually came across something similar in a movie I was watching yesterday, where the two villains' motivation was simply greed and pride, which accumulated to a fight I had no invested emotional value. I wasn't cheering for any party in those fights.

I really thought Kevin Smith detested the prequels with a burning passion. Maybe I remember wrong.

Jaeger

I hope not. It just looks like the prequel fights on crack. Lot of lazy ship designs there.

Not in the least bit. This is well choreographed sword play. This is what most of us want.

If Luke fights like he does in the original trilogy, it will be a fucking travesty. He fights like an angry kid with barely any knowledge of using a bladed weapon (which is actually pretty accurate to his character).

Okay? I am not saying any of it is definite, I was saying that I was a bit nervous upon rethinking the lightsaber.

I'm just saying it is literally too early to start panicking over something that has yet to even be an issue. It comes off more as a fear of change, rather than the makers doing something wrong.

I am sorry if you ever thought that my opinions were fact. But the prequels are heavily criticized/hated for a reason.

Doesn't make it less tired.

Skunkers

This reminds me of how somebody pointed out that after the claymore-ish two-handed fighting style that Vader uses fighting Obi-Wan in ANH, in ESB he primarily clowns on Luke by fighting one-handed. Even though the duel isn't crazy and spectacular like in the prequels, it's a subtle nuance that reinforces how much better he is. Then after Luke clips Vader's shoulder, Luke gets cocky and switches to one hand, and that's when it gets cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom