• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

Alright, so I didnt buy Kerbel when it was on sale the past 2 days.

Im hoping it goes on sale again today. Hopefully for a little more than 40%, but if not, ill buy it anyway.

Also - if Big Pharma is on sale and youre on the fence about it, get it! Its alot of fun and really works your brain.

Arthea

35 minutes till community servers go down
You can bookmark this post.
hopefully not, I remember Summer sale with dread still

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The issue has been there since Communities were introduced and I have always issues with it. It's just really, really hard to get a community thread going when it isn't spontaneous, and "forcing" people in or out of said threads never works. There are things like Steam thread that are obvious exceptions, but mostly Community is still the pit of doom. Then there were (luckily shortlived) initiatives like forbidding off-topic discussion on community threads (was it after some Foosball thread catastrophe?), which pretty meant taking out the "community" part from the "community" thread.

I'd love if communities succeeded (and I am trying to encourage people to visit threads like the vinyl GAF and Web Design GAF threads) but I still think that the community part was much much more healthy when it there were just in Gaming or in OT. Both sides move so fast anyway so few OT's here and there don't hurt anyone.

My suggestion (as a web developer and a community thread member)? Dump community threads back to the main list and create a filter for them which by default is off. Don't want to see the community threads? Click the filter and they are gone.

TL;DR: Want to increase discoverability? Move threads to a place where people can discover them.

This idea is genius.

Grief.exe

Alright, so I didnt buy Kerbel when it was on sale the past 2 days.

Im hoping it goes on sale again today. Hopefully for a little more than 40%, but if not, ill buy it anyway.

My GOTY, absolutely amazing if the game appeals to you. Otherwise it will just be too complicated and unyielding, which will turn off the majority of consumers.

The information cost to learn about turning off the filter is the same as the information cost to learn about clicking Gaming Community once in a while, no?

I was about to make the same argument.

If the problem is ignorance, hiding behind a filter will net the same result.

I even made a mock up with mad dev toolz hacking (spot the off by two pixels error)

hmnoqhH.png

Kaleinc

Banned
In the new year we're going to try a few initiatives to help figure out ways to improve the process of users discovering community threads so that there's more new blood
9Pey8ni.png

It took me several years to figure out why someone would need two Community subforums and then quite a while the difference between Gaming and Community. The solution to the discovery problem could be much more simple than it seems.

Ozium

OMFG DEY TUK OUR THRED

WE GOTTA PROTECT OURSELVES FROM GAMING SIDE, FAM!

lmao, catching up with this thread has been hilarious

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's pretty good too. Not too long but adds some interesting mechanics (fear meter) to the genre that are a welcome change. I finished it with 100% sync / all trophies in about 9 hours.

Cool beans. Eight-odd hours to 100% is what I was expecting as that's within the ballpark of Freedom Cry.

Well...fuck.

Does this applies to DLC as well? And is it possible to have multiple region access on 1 steam account?

I would assume DLC -- that is, DLC apps and not game apps set up as DLC -- to be unaffected by the runtime restriction as you don't run DLC.

Dsyndrome

All I want for christmas is higher than a C+ in my data structure class... pls... :(
Good luck. I thought I bombed my Discrete Signals class (as did many others) thanks to the supposed-to-be-1-hour final that ended up being a hard as hell 3-hour final, and ended up with an A- overall because the professor is a hugger.

This steam sale needs to kick into high gear so I can get my disappointment out of the way.

Gurrry

it says sword coast legends is free til sunday, but i cant find a way to download it for free. i only see options for paying for it. the game doesnt look great, but it intrigued me ever since I heard about it.

My GOTY, absolutely amazing if the game appeals to you. Otherwise it will just be too complicated and unyielding, which will turn off the majority of consumers.

Oh hell yeah, ive always wanted to get in there and get my brain working. I enjoy games that are challenging in ways like Kerbel. Also - watching giantbomb's latest kerbel series has made me want it even more. I hope you can travel to other places than just the moon though! I want to get to pluto.

And yes, pluto is still a planet to me damnit!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I even made a mock up with mad dev toolz hacking (spot the off by two pixels error)

hmnoqhH.png

I'd like to see an implementation similar to the plugin for blocking threads on GAF. This gives the user full control over what they choose to see, and don't need to worry about having their feed clogged by all of the community threads when they might only really have interest in one or two. It may seem like more work for the user, but honestly, it's improved my GAF browsing experience immeasurably since I installed it.

But, I think we might be on to something here!

Messiah

Pretty happy with the state of Steam release wise right now and the outlook is pretty great as well. The only thing I would wish for was more rhythm games on Steam though. There is a serious lack of those on PC in general.

So yeah, that's my wish for 2016. [email="also GG Xrd Revelator][/email]
See you guys on the other side.

Backlogger

I don't really like it when the community thread gets closed down during sales. I usually end up not participating in the Sale threads. They usually move too fast for me and are filled with things I don't really want to read about while I usually end up missing things that I do want to hear about. I don't care for Anime talk either <3 but I enjoy the banter of our little community, which gets lost in the Sale thread. I dunno, I just don't think the sale thread and community thread need to be mutually exclusive. Never really understood it but saw (and still see) that people seemed to feel really strongly about it so I never questioned it. I don't post much anyway so whatever.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Welp, I did mean to say that the filter is off by default so that Community threads are visible by default.

I think that doesn't solve the problem that motivated the move to community in general. We want the default front page to have an influx of new content and to be a good source for people who want to know what's going on. If the default front page is all megathreads -- see SomethingAwful's gaming forum for what this looks like -- then we're not getting that, even if there's a switch that some small percentage of users will use to clear things up.

yuraya

I don't really like it when the community thread gets closed down during sales. I usually end up not participating in the Sale threads. They usually move too fast for me and are filled with things I don't really want to read about while I usually end up missing things that I do want to hear about. I don't care for Anime talk either <3 but I enjoy the banter of our little community, which gets lost in the Sale thread. I dunno, I just don't think the sale thread and community thread need to be mutually exclusive. Never really understood it but saw (and still see) that people seemed to feel really strongly about it so I never questioned it. I don't post much anyway so whatever.

The thread won't be moving so fast like it did years ago. There aren't dailies or flash deals anymore. Unless the Meta game is really crazy the sales thread should be as normal as this one.

Jawmuncher

I think that doesn't solve the problem that motivated the move to community in general. We want the default front page to have an influx of new content and to be a good source for people who want to know what's going on. If the default front page is all megathreads -- see SomethingAwful's gaming forum for what this looks like -- then we're not getting that, even if there's a switch that some small percentage of users will use to clear things up.

A community sticky spotlight seems like a good idea. Just like what AustraliaGAF has.

Ozium

yeah 5 topics about Drive Club or Bloodborne is so much better

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"I suspect our next batch of moderators will include recruitment from some of the community threads that we currently don't have coverage in."

This feels like the right time to remind the officials that the EU 4 MP community thread is poorly represented.

We only have like... Kabouter? But he's like 500 years old and about to retire. And TDM, but he's from Australia and stuff

Cool beans. Eight-odd hours to 100% is what I was expecting as that's within the ballpark of Freedom Cry.

I would assume DLC -- that is, DLC apps and not game apps set up as DLC -- to be unaffected by the runtime restriction as you don't run DLC.

Is that same for the dlc keys ?

Sacrificing community banter for two weeks is for the greater good of the Steam Community empire. We'll come out of this in much greater numbers, no other thread will hold a candle to this one.

Jawmuncher

Sacrificing community banter for two weeks is for the greater good of the Steam Community empire. We'll come out of this in much greater numbers, no other thread will hold a candle to this one.

Missing the point and not at all what was being pushed. You keep at it though.

This isn't our first sale, guys. Act like we've been here before.

Yah. This dude speaks the truth.

All we need now is for Valve to implement another Team Green/Team Red/Team Blue metagame (like last December?) and the sales thread will go straight to hell with shitposts :p Even the folks advocating for this thread to be closed will wish they hadn't.

I can see the argument from both points of view to be honest.

Remember those flashing, glittering "wait for the dailies you bastards" gifs? Does anyone remember why they had to be made? It was because even though this information was disseminated regularly, there were always half a dozen posts on page 155 of the sales thread asking if game X was going to be lower than 40% off. We go offtopic way too much in this thread, and I'm equally responsible sometimes, but as a community we do understand some basic rules by which Steam works. Waiting for the dailies was something everyone understood. Checking the historical lowest price of a game is something everyone here can do. When these kinds of posts show up constantly and continuously in a sales thread, it becomes white noise for people who might then feel less inclined to participate.

And if those people are not participating in those threads, then they're not actually participating in the discussion which we're hoping will attract new folks here. If this thread stays open, they can continue to converse within the familiarity this threads provides. If it's locked, they might not talk at all.

On the other hand, we really should try and do something about how much we just go offtopic over here. I know it's a touchy subject. I know it's kind of hypocritical for me to say it when I do it just as much. The truth of the matter though is that there are a good number of people who are a part of the community and now participate less in Steam threads. That's a net loss for everyone no matter what one feels about offtopic discussion. Maybe it happens because of the familiarity with regular folks in the community. Maybe getting new folks in to shake things up and actually talk more about Steam will work. I don't see a single reason why we shouldn't do everything we can to get more folks talking in here.

Anyway Stump has already said what is going to happen. If it was me I would have considered that one course of action makes some people unhappy and the other makes a few less people upset. I'm pretty sure folks who would prefer this thread be locked wouldn't mind as much if it remained open. And so I would have picked the latter option. But... let's see how things go.

Ozium

So when is the sale thread going up and this one getting locked?

I mean the sale starts in 15 minutes

or is the sale thread up and no one told me?

If i was a mod I'd ban everyone that posts the whynotboth gif/img when someone asks if they should get A or B.

Also ill ban people that post imgs/gifs of games without even saying what game it is.

I'd be a good mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom