• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

Hahaha..
They've become greedy as well, the Japanese.

Nah. Capcom claimed that a long time ago.

Christ, I just spent an hour reading through the Ferguson thread in OT. Had to come back here and read SteamGAF to reclaim my sanity.

SteamGAF isn't known for it's sanity though. It's known for it's...

YrSAUem.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"You cannot upgrade the Windows (DirectX9) version to the Windows (DirectX11) version."

lol. I'll wait until they explain this.

could just be a translation thing. I doubt there wont be a discount for owning the old version. but hey, strangergreedier things have happened

zkylon

zkylewd

rosie's kind of a bitch, but she looks the best in a swimsuit

i dunno how people get a ratings in valkyria, i guess it's not in my nature to rush missions :I

What's up with that? It happens for me in FFXIII as well. Seems unlikely to be a game specific issue since they're from different devs.
no idea, but it's super annoying

well ... they aren't called Scamco for nothing, you know ;)
yeah :/

i wish from was better than this, too

could just be a translation thing. I doubt there wont be a discount for owning the old version. but hey, strangergreedier things have happened
yeah but if you lose your save it's like wtf

Parsnip

You forgot capslock.

My capslock is broken.

By the by, someone recommend me a good wireless keyboard. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a keyboard with like volume controls would be nice. Also is Bluetooth signal range better/worse than what regular wireless stuff? Something about my computing area makes the wireless range really short.

I remember talking 3 people into a Starbound 4-pack. Played 5 minutes of it.
I'm sorry Vivioggi
;_;7

I was one of the "lucky" few who got it during that special Humble Bundle package. Can't even launch the game on my rig. Finally decided that I was better off not playing it at all, then heard mixed reviews over the last couple months.

I think my decision was justified.

MUnited83

For you.

Well, it's pretty obvious that what they mean about not being able to upgrade it's that you can't transform you DirectX9 copy to a DirectX11 copy.It's basically a different game, so it can't really be upgraded. There will be a discount for previous owners I'm sure, but you are not upgrading, you are effectly getting a new entry.

Zafir

rosie's kind of a bitch, but she looks the best in a swimsuit

i dunno how people get a ratings in valkyria, i guess it's not in my nature to rush missions :I
By destroying their entertainment of the game. :p

Literally, I got sick of the game on PS3 courtesy of going for A ranks every mission. To get the A ranks you had to be reloading all the time because you have to get perfect shots from really far away and hope it hits(reload till it does).

Well, considering that I'm not buying games new anyway, and usually wait until there's a deep discount before I buy anything (with keys or otherwise), this doesn't affect me too much. Might make it more inconvenient to get some of the regionally-cheaper games during sales, but I think I can live with that, at least for now.

You're such an animal for doing that.

I got angry reading through the replies. Some of the replies in that topic are downright venomous.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah but if you lose your save it's like wtf

I already lost my save :p

Well, it's pretty obvious that what they mean about not being able to upgrade it's that you can't transform you DirectX9 copy to a DirectX11 copy.It's basically a different game, so it can't really be upgraded. There will be a discount for previous owners I'm sure, but you are not upgrading, you are effectly getting a new entry.

I agree, but people are already assuming that it means youll have to pay full price either way :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Scout rushing + Welkin's Damage/Defense/Attack orders

sounds unfun

Literally, I got sick of the game on PS3 courtesy of going for A ranks every mission. To get the A ranks you had to be reloading all the time because you have to get perfect shots from really far away and hope it hits(reload till it does).
yeah that sounds terrible

fortunately i don't care too much about ratings and such

I already lost my save :p
i wouldn't really mind starting over tbh

i wanna try pyromancies and maybe dual weilding

already beaten this game enough times to be able to plow through it in a weekend or something

Chariot

Nah. I just got thx A rak archuevement yesterday. I did cheese missions, but I was never relying on chance. Eveything was managable with tactics, even if some were scummy on in one case almost cheating.

They don't need to upgrade it. Just add the DX11 version to the game as is. It's not like it'd be all that difficult. It's been done before.

Vuze

Oh wow, I expected the upgrade to be free. I don't care for the game anymore tbh, no intention to replay it but still it would be nice to have.

C4rter

Leftovers

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Clutch -- MB-7D5124D63A62007C - Taken by BernardoOne
Shattered Haven -- MB-E66DB92D487BC957 - Taken by Lomax
Zombie Bowl-o-Rama -- MB-C7578637BD1ADBDD - Taken by NingenJanai
1953- KGB Unleashed -- MB-02779C13F86B10CF - Taken by Maniac

kevin1025

Banned
I'll stick with my Direct X 9.0c version I bought a few weeks back, thank you very much! I'm completely okay with remasters, but this one feels a little cheap. Is it the tiredness, or am I not seeing much difference at all in the visuals? Adding an NPC is not a game changer. Plus the season pass will have a pretty decent discount in the upcoming sales, I'm sure. I don't know, us PC folks don't have much incentive apart from +1'ing it up, I suppose.

Zafir

Nah. I just got thx A rak archuevement yesterday. I did cheese missions, but I was never relying on chance. Eveything was managable with tactics, even if some were scummy on in one case almost cheating.

Even that's kind of killing the fun though, abusing mechanics is just as bad as reloading. :p

Either way, it's very hard to get A ranks without doing something like that.

Scamco is bad, but not THAT bad :p

That's not really relevant to what I was saying.

You said, "It's basically a different game, so it can't really be upgraded." which isn't true at all. They can "upgrade" the game in a couple of ways... They can pull the game and files as they are from the sub, and just replace it all with the new stuff. Or put it up alongside the current version, and add a launcher option for DX9/11.

They could very easily "upgrade" the current version. And there shouldn't be any discount in the first place either, because there shouldn't be any sort of new, separate/standalone version of the game. It's a glorified patch.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding what it is you're saying, but it sounds like you're defending/excusing what they're doing, which is bullshit. If they are in fact selling what is basically a new, patched version of the game by itself, that's a straight up scam, and has no ground to be excused.

Anteater

Sorry, but...DO YOU NEED TO BUY AGAIN DS2 TO ACCESS "IMPROVEMENTS"?
Really? What a greedy bastards.

You get some improvements/contents and tweaks for free, quoting duckroll:

Okay we have an official super clear comparison between all the versions of this re-release, including a comparison with what will be in the 1.10 Patch for last-gen owners.

http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

The chart is in Japanese, so I'll translate the column on the left indicating the features. The rest should be self-explanatory.

New Features:
- New characters and events (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Story and world additions (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Graphics and performance upgrades (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Improved online multiplayer (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Various balancing tweaks (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)

Included DLC:
- DLC1 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC2 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC3 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)

- Supports existing save data (Supported for all last-gen versions of SoFS and the 1.10 Patch, not supported for next-gen versions of SoFS)

- Game Server Region (PS3 = A, 360 = B, PC(DX9) = C, PS4 = D, XBO = E, PC(DX11) = F)

Distribution:
- Retail
- Digital

Derp

Alrighty, i went with DS4Windows. Software is just awesome. Really really really impressed with absolutely everything.

And i must one of those weirdos that's obsessed with the light bar. I love the damn thing.

Parsnip

The more I hear about the DaS2 super edition, the less interested I am.

Some clarification from the other thread.

Okay we have an official super clear comparison between all the versions of this re-release, including a comparison with what will be in the 1.10 Patch for last-gen owners.

http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

The chart is in Japanese, so I'll translate the column on the left indicating the features. The rest should be self-explanatory.

New Features:
- New characters and events (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Story and world additions (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)
- Graphics and performance upgrades (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Improved online multiplayer (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Various balancing tweaks (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)

Included DLC:
- DLC1 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC2 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)
- DLC3 (Included in all versions of SoFS, not included in the 1.10 Patch)

- Supports existing save data (Supported for all last-gen versions of SoFS and the 1.10 Patch, not supported for next-gen versions of SoFS)

- Game Server Region (PS3 = A, 360 = B, PC(DX9) = C, PS4 = D, XBO = E, PC(DX11) = F)

Distribution:
- Retail
- Digital

edit: damn it anteater.

Chariot

Even that's kind of killing the fun though, abusing mechanics is just as bad as reloading. :p

Either way, it's very hard to get A ranks without doing something like that.
Well, not all were fun, but most came natural by refining my tactics. And after all that process was the most fun.
Well, except for that one time I borderline cheated and that wasn't even my own idea, but it was ultimately very interesting.

Nabs

Alrighty, i went with DS4Windows. Software is just awesome. Really really really impressed with absolutely everything.

And i must one of those weirdos that's obsessed with the light bar. I love the damn thing.

I guess I'm also a weirdo. I have profiles for any major game I play so they all have their own color. I also like setting the Start/Back buttons to the touchpad for certain games that use them a lot. You can start with the touchpad off (slide/scroll), and enable it by touching the touchpad and hitting the guide button.

Zafir

Well, not all were fun, but most came natural by refining my tactics. And after all that process was the most fun.
Well, except for that one time I borderline cheated and that wasn't even my own idea, but it was ultimately very interesting.

Maybe you tolerate repetition/the process better than I then. :p

When I get round to playing VC again on PC, I definitely won't be bothering again.

zkylon

zkylewd
You get some improvements/contents and tweaks for free, quoting duckroll:

yea pretty disappointing

i hope the upgrade is cheap or something

i actually got dark souls 2 gifted to me for my birthday so it's only natural i get the upgrade for the next one

MUnited83

For you.
You said, "It's basically a different game, so it can't really be upgraded." which isn't true at all. They can "upgrade" the game in a couple of ways... They can pull the game and files as they are from the sub, and just replace it all with the new stuff. Or put it up alongside the current version, and add a launcher option for DX9/11.

They could very easily "upgrade" the current version. And there shouldn't be any discount in the first place either, because there shouldn't be any sort of new, separate/standalone version of the game. It's a glorified patch.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding what it is you're saying, but it sounds like you're defending/excusing what they're doing, which is bullshit. If they are in fact selling what is basically a new, patched version of the game by itself, that's a straight up scam, and has no ground to be excused.

Indeed you are misunderstanding me. I'm fully aware that they could upgrade the original version for the new one if they wanted and I'm not defending that. I was just clarifying that the way they will offer this will be as a separate entry/app on steam so you will not be able to buy a upgrade that turns your DX9 copy into a DX11 copy, but that doesn't mean that previous owners will not get some kind of loyalty discount. It will probably have a discount, they just don't call it a upgrade because you are technically getting a separate game.

topyy

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

TOTM Alpha -- MB-91586A30CB58CB6C - Taken by The Dear Leader

dex3108

Dark days are coming my friends

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards#announcements/detail/163582965920702191

All new games purchased as a gift and placed in the purchaser's inventory will be untradable for 30 days. The gift may still be gifted at any time. The only change is to trading.

We've made this change to make trading gifts a better experience for those receiving the gifts. We're hoping this lowers the number of people who trade for a game only to have the game revoked later due to issues with the purchaser's payment method.

Chariot

Maybe you tolerate repetition/the process better than I then. :p

When I get round to playing VC again on PC, I definitely won't be bothering again.
Seems like that. :D
But it really depends on the kind of repetition. I hate the kind of repetition AssCreed and the likes offer. Collecting stuff and so on. But I do love strategy games and trying diffenrt tactics. The actual missions in VC are very short and this makes it very easy to replay them with different approaches or even with only little tweaks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, I was waiting for a good discount on Season Pass, now that I know this, I'll probably skip the season pass waiting for the new version. I think the price will be 50€, I hope they'll offer a nice discount, maybe 50% off, to preavious owners of the game.
tbh it shouldn't cost more than like 15 bucks to owners of the previous version and even that is stretching it

specially since graphically that trailer didn't show anything that screamed "next-gen"

like imo it looked exactly like the game i played tbh

Anyway, I'm really, really tired about this "new" trend, remaking the same one year old game adding something stupid and selling it again from scratch.
One thing is make a "next gen" version, another thing is release the same game two times on PC, asking for money again. I don't want new contents for free, but damn, leave me the opportunity to buy the season pass and "unlock" the new version for free. There's no reason on why they will offer NPCs upgrade and some tweaking for free, while they won't release new graphics if not under payment. You can just put two builds of the game on Steam, making a launcher so each player can select DX9 or DX11 version.
well for what it's worth this trend has its days numbered since there aren't any new games worth doing enhanced editions being released on last gen anymore

publishers are being really greedy in doing two versions on pc

Ah, so there's Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 2 Redux (DX9) and Dark Souls 2 Redux (DX11). That's great but also supremely stupid.

you're horrible

horrible

Arthea

What's TOTM?

thus, the day has come, with this new gift trading rule, price mistakes are finally made irrelevant, unless price mistake happens in your region, which never happens in my region anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom