• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

What a great game!! You really can't go wrong with the Metroidvania formula, even if this is a slightly different take on the genre.

Congrats Image and Form, you guys did an awesome job. I'm gonna be praising this one to the high heavens, it really is in the top echelon of e-shop games! I hope there's a lot success coming your way, because you guys definitely deserve it.

Can't wait to see what is next!

About 45 minutes in, liking it a lot so far. The animations are very smooth, and Rusty has very precise, satisfying controls. Definitely going to be playing for a while today.

Nosgoroth

Five hours in, probably close to the end (just got
the double jump, FINALLY
). I have to say I didn't like it too much for the first hour - the options are limited and you have to be very careful how you dig - but then you start getting upgrades and abilites one after the other, and all the while the game keeps mixing it up throwing new things or enemies at you. It's fun, and I only stopped because the battery went red.

Good job, devs.

EDIT: Beaten, 6:10. That was good.

zroid

Banned
nice to see this thread actually getting some activity

still haven't bought it, but I will soon, probably. With all the games coming out (and have already come out, especially in August), it's a bit hard to round up the cash to make any previously unanticipated purchases.

daydream

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough. I got every item and treasure, I think. At least (item spoiler)
my radar didn't show anything else and I doube-checked every area and every cave
. Took me 7 hours and 18 minutes over the course of two sessions (which is not the way I normally play games).

Needless to say I enjoyed a lot. It reminded me, among other things (Metroid and such), of games like Boulder Dash and Clonk on the PC. The mechanics are really fun, you unlock some neat upgrades, it's addicting as hell and very charming, loved the sprite work.

Overall, a great and worthy addition to the eshop - congrats to the developers! If you're remotely interested in this and still undecided - go for it.

This game is shockingly fun. I just hopped on the eShop to see if I could find a good new downloadable game to break up my SMTIV sessions, and boy did I find what I was looking for. I wasn't even aware Steamworld Dig existed until today but now I am hooked.

Phazon

A friend of me was curious if we could/would see this game/franchise on the Wii U someday and this is what they answered:

https://twitter.com/ImageForm/status/366346169372250112

" it's one possibility we are talking about, yes!"

Please take this as one of the possibilities and not as a confirmation, but I wonder if some of you guys would prefer it or like to see it on Wii U too?

I'd like to hear some opinions or reacties from you guys :)

Yasawas

Ugh what?

Terrible boss with randomised elements that has absolutely no relation to anything I've been asked to do in the previous four hours of play. Everywhere else I've been able to take my time and plan what I was going to do, here I'm scampering around getting the odd hit in on a generator while being forced to jump and run about and hope I don't run into those annoying exploding things. I can do OK up to a point then on the third wave I invariably get stuck in a corner between a laser and the sweeping eye thing and panic and die. It's not fun in the slightest and while I will eventually do it it's going to sour my memory of the game. Not every game needs bosses! This was doing fine without them.

Yasawas

Obviously
I did it first time there when I decided to give it one more attempt before bed. Woo. I thought some areas were really hard to hit the generator and/or keep yourself safe in compared to others which I found frustrating because I kept getting fucked over with placements in the third phase but maybe it is just me. That thing gave me more problems than King Allant.

Slightly disappointing conclusion then but I had fun overall.

DaBoss

Spoiler regarding the ending:

The hardest attack to avoid is the laser that moves. A few of the generators pretty much guarantee that you're safe. The one all the way at the bottom would be best dealt with using the Steampunch. There are different strategies for different generators that work best.
May require some trial and error I guess, but I found it to be a very rewarding ending.

But I do see your point about not really having to deal with that kind of thing up to that point. My solution would be to incorporate more bosses in the game. :p

Spoiler regarding the ending:

The hardest attack to avoid is the laser that moves. A few of the generators pretty much guarantee that you're safe. The one all the way at the bottom would be best dealt with using the Steampunch. There are different strategies for different generators that work best.
May require some trial and error I guess, but I found it to be a very rewarding ending.

But I do see your point about not really having to deal with that kind of thing up to that point. My solution would be to incorporate more bosses in the game. :p

Personally I used the steampunch all the time during the boss. I tried the drill first, but then I realized that I could destroy all of the generators with three hits from the steampunch each, and I didn't even have the fully upgraded steampunch. Overall I had troubles with the boss the first two times, but the third time it was so easy. I realized that all the generators are on the mini-map, and avoiding his laser is really easy, and it's also easy to refill your health.

Glass Rebel

Ending spoiler:

I didn't find it random at all and it didn't require trial and error either. The Steam Punch is the best weapon the moment it's introduced and with the static dash most generators are easily accessible and were also established als destructible targets moments before reaching the boss. Hop on one, hit it thrice with the Steam Punch, drop down to get the health/water/fire item and repeat.

Lusankya

Hmm, first time a trailer on the eShop got me interested in a game I haven't heard about before. This thread now leads me to buying it. Nice, I hope I'll enjoy it like the most of you do.

Endgame talk:
I don't understand complaints about the boss. It's intuitive and not really that difficult at all - by that point you're more than equipped to deal with anything it can throw at you. It telegraphs all its attacks.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't understand the complains too. I defeated it at my first try. It wasn't too hard

Saw this game on the eShop today, this looks so awesome I gotta get one of them eshop cards.

Just use your credit card. If you, like me, believe that Nintendo's security is crap then don't worry; you can tell them not to save your credit card information.

Endgame talk:
I don't understand complaints about the boss. It's intuitive and not really that difficult at all - by that point you're more than equipped to deal with anything it can throw at you. It telegraphs all its attacks.

I don't understand the complains too. I defeated it at my first try. It wasn't too hard

Calm down. There's been like one or two people who complained about it. We all have different skill levels.

Beat the game this morning. Clear time was 4:11, although I missed a few upgrades at the end and kind of rushed to the last area when I saw it pop up. Had a lot of fun with it, and I think I'll take up a second playthrough soon. I'd definitely be interested in a more expansive sequel, but regardless of what their next project is, Image & Form has my attention.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just use your credit card. If you, like me, believe that Nintendo's security is crap then don't worry; you can tell them not to save your credit card information.

Calm down. There's been like one or two people who complained about it. We all have different skill levels.

um, i don't think we are agitated at all, seriously.

zroid

Banned
Oh really? So it's not connected to the internet? Meaning no hacker could obtain the information?

Yeah, pretty much. And once the details are stored on the 3DS, it forces you to password protect it from being used for your purchases. Mess up the password 3 times, and it deletes the stored CC info.

Just brought the game =D, was interested since Thursday eShop update, Nintendo of Europe did put it up as the showcase download, and trailer on eShop was brilliantly done.

Deilpo

Neo Member

I got my eShop card now, I would have used my debit card but I really only put the money in when I need to buy things online.

Glass Rebel

This is great news: Steamworld Dig hit #1 (Europe eShop charts)

djaCKys.gif

Really happy for I&F.

Just completed the game in 6:10. Would have been quicker but I somehow missed the
punch beam weapon
. Only found it when I went back looking for materials after I got the
metal radar
. Finished with every upgrade in the game I think.

Only weak point in the game was the fighting. It was a smaller element of the game, and threaded into the puzzles, but it still felt a little off. Felt I should have been able to upwards/downwards thrust
with the drill
like in zelda 2, but I guess that would have made the game too easy. I'd like to see these guys take on a proper metroid-like.

Overall, a great game and well worth the money and I recommend it to everyone with a 3DS.

Terrible boss with randomised elements that has absolutely no relation to anything I've been asked to do in the previous four hours of play. Everywhere else I've been able to take my time and plan what I was going to do, here I'm scampering around getting the odd hit in on a generator while being forced to jump and run about and hope I don't run into those annoying exploding things. I can do OK up to a point then on the third wave I invariably get stuck in a corner between a laser and the sweeping eye thing and panic and die. It's not fun in the slightest and while I will eventually do it it's going to sour my memory of the game. Not every game needs bosses! This was doing fine without them.

Personally I found this super easy, and it was foreshadowed by all the late-game
laser gun enemies
. Game prepared you for it, and how to counter it. I totally agree with the design decisions here.

beril

Just finished it. Really unique and lovely game.

Dear friends - and I hope you don't mind me calling you that - let me express how amazed we at tiny Image & Form are to see this forum thread (or OT as @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ so kindly taught me it's called). As a formerly iOS-only dev, we have gotten used to screaming into the void and praying for attention. And here - and elsewhere - we've got people happily running forums on the game. Talk about contrast!

You're asking for follow-up on SteamWorld Dig and I'm happy to tell you that as of yesterday, thanks to the overwhelming response and a relieved sense of having a potential big hit, we decided to forge ahead on the next project in the series. SteamWorld is here to stay, and we'll stay on the 3DS.

Congrats! Nice to see more indies (and more Swedes) having success on the 3DS

RM8

I have debit account that is always empty, unless I want to buy something online, then I add funds to it. I buy from whatever site / service I want and I can properly sleep at night :p

zroid

Banned
Can we convince GiantBomb to Quick Look this, somehow? I'm sure Patrick would've done it if he were still around the office, but maybe Brad can pick up the slack.

edit: tweet @giantbomb or something, sending one now, myself.

Top Bottom