• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

imageform

Ah, the embarrassment of having to concede that we haven't posted here in a long time... but you guys seem to get along fine without us!

SteamWorld Dig is doing great, still among the top of most charts around the planet where we've released, and we have some good news.

First, a Japanese version of SWD is coming to Japan [sic] hopefully by the end of October. Since you need a JP publisher when publishing in Japan, we're releasing through Intergrow. At Tokyo Game Show Brjann's had the opportunity to show it to two lovely fellas at Nintendo of Japan, who didn't want to give him back his 3DS unit but wanted to play some more. A good sign, we hope.

Second, a new instalment in the SteamWorld series is in the works. Yep. Of course we'll comment here on NeoGAF when we announce.

Love you all. Now get back to the game. :)

zroid

Banned
First, a Japanese version of SWD is coming to Japan [sic] hopefully by the end of October. Since you need a JP publisher when publishing in Japan, we're releasing through Intergrow. At Tokyo Game Show Brjann's had the opportunity to show it to two lovely fellas at Nintendo of Japan, who didn't want to give him back his 3DS unit but wanted to play some more. A good sign, we hope.
Ha! That sounds great. Good luck in Japan, dudes.

John Walker gave this a glowing mention in his impressions of Full Bore, which I think was the last straw for me. After weeks of having this game in the back of my mind as something that apparently had a lot of good buzz around it, I'm ready to jump in and try it out.

I'm taking a trip back home to visit the family next week, and I always end up with downtime while my wife is out being social (all my old friends have long since left our hometown), so I normally grab a 3DS game to keep myself busy. Looks like the RPS mention came along at just the right time. Thanks for all the positive impressions in this thread.

Zarovitch

I finally buy it tonight. This game is addictive, i'm not far but i have already some new tool and stuff that make me want to continue.

bengraven

Metroidvania is a disgusting term because it reminds me of how awful the Castlevania series became, and it also reminds me that the people using it are probably too young to have grown up playing Metroid, which is really the main thing defining how people use the term. The only things Igarashi's awful Castlevania games adding to the formula are exp, bad level design, and collect em all grinding. None of those are really suitable for the 2D exploration genre, and are often not present in the games people call "Metroidvania". :p

This.

Metroid and a grindy RPG system are on completely different planets.

url-3.gif

Downloaded it tonight for 7.19 on sale. I really liked the intro. It seems really great and looks good on my 3DS XL. My system was running low on batteries...Excited to keep playing the game. I am glad there is an OT for this.

maxcriden

Downloaded it on sale, my wife is really digging it (excuse the pun). Haven't had a chance to...(resisting the pun)...get into it yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.

georly

Caved in and bought it. Was going to use all my eshop credit for phoenix, but i figured I might as well snag it while it was on sale. I doubt it'll go much lower ANYTIME soon.

Oh wow.

This game is /good/.

The game has simplistic yet accessible conventions behind it but its greatest feature is how efficaciously it motivates you to keep playing; that quintessential "page-turner" experience in video game form. More than once, I found myself thinking that I'd just take one more trip and go one level deeper and my first gaming session went for longer than I intended.

I like it!

Just going to load up and keep playing. It's a great deal for what it is, it's really fun. I wonder how much content there is. I heard there's going to be a sequel too. Yeh! :)

Finally finished in 8:30. It's a pretty unique eShop game, and I say it's just as good as the other 2D platformers although i thought you should be able to leave the town at the top of the mine.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... Someone mentioned this game in another 3DS recommend thread. Never heard of this game before, but after reading all about it on GAF I'm buying this tonight!

Thanks again GAF

There's a contest going on that requires you to beat it fast, no deaths, and most gold & orbs. I've been trying. But it's pretty hard not to die, and figure out the best way to dig and buy upgrades.

Just finished this game, beaten at a little over 8 hours, with all of the ore and upgrades obtained. Fun little gem, and I am happy to know that there is a sequel on the way, because I will definitely get it.

Hero

Just wanted to chime in here, having bought the game on its most recent sale on the Nintendo eShop.

I really, really, really enjoyed this game! The whole concept was very clever and cool. The controls were 100% intuitive and responsive and felt like a proper SNES platformer. The graphics were charming yet unique and the itch to keep on digging for the next cave or power-up was strong in this.

I 100% recommend this game to anyone with a 3DS or PC to play this game.

I didn't have a problem with the last boss and beat him on my first try. If anything I wanted it to be harder!

For the sequel I would really love to see everything else expanded. I think combat was perhaps the weakest aspect but since it wasn't the focus it was alright. I would love to see an expanded skillset. Being able to throw the pick axe would be awesome. The drill should have a downward stabbing ability like Link from Link's Adventure. Maybe an upgrade for the fist to do a Shoryuken when used upwards? :)

More NPCs, more things to unlock in town, maybe another playable character or two?

I'm totally there day one!

Chopper

Might as well ask here too. I'm enjoying this game alot, but have one issue. I completely wasted a teleporter by building one about 10 seconds before finding another. Can I get rid of the one I built?

pariah164

Might as well ask here too. I'm enjoying this game alot, but have one issue. I completely wasted a teleporter by building one about 10 seconds before finding another. Can I get rid of the one I built?
I think you can if you dig/destroy the block it's sitting on, but don't quote me on that.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm seriously considering triple dipping here. First I was all like, "I'll play on a mobile device for sure!" then the Steam release got announced then I was all like, "I'll wait for shiny graphics!" then the Vita release got announced now I want mobile AND shiny graphics!

pariah164

I'm seriously considering triple dipping here. First I was all like, "I'll play on a mobile device for sure!" then the Steam release got announced then I was all like, "I'll wait for shiny graphics!" then the Vita release got announced now I want mobile AND shiny graphics!
I may double-dip, just to support Image & Form.

I'll probably pick up the Vita version on sale sometime. I liked it on 3DS and I'd like to play with the higher-res graphics. How does it play on Vita?

Metroidvania is a disgusting term because it reminds me of how awful the Castlevania series became, and it also reminds me that the people using it are probably too young to have grown up playing Metroid, which is really the main thing defining how people use the term. The only things Igarashi's awful Castlevania games adding to the formula are exp, bad level design, and collect em all grinding. None of those are really suitable for the 2D exploration genre, and are often not present in the games people call "Metroidvania". :p

Responding to a bit of an older post...

I agree for the most part, but I do think there could exist a happy medium. I think the Metroidvania games are good, but I do agree with the repetitive level design. Sure the original Metroid had pretty repetitive level design and was pretty bloated, but Super Metroid took that and while it still had themed levels, not every single room was the same pattern. Games like Symphony of the Night, while great, can be accused of stale cut and paste design, and it's one of the worst things about the Metroidvania games.

Does Steamworld have more interesting level design?

wouwie

I really like this game. I'm playing on PS4. It looks great, it controls nicely and it's fun and addictive. I took me a while to fully appreciate and enjoy the game though.

Great fun, nice price, smooth and solid game. Really glad i bought it and i'm looking forward to more games from this developer.

Edit: just finished the game. Had a lot of fun and would certainly be interested in buying a new game in the Steamworld universe.

Ath

Finished playing this on 3DS for the first time a couple of days ago. What a brilliant game! Making my way through the dirt was just ridiculously satisfying. I can't wait to see what Image & Form come up with next.

Picked this up to take a break from Second Son and let Dice fix their shit just a little. Great little game. Don't let the title or pics fool you, there is no crafting thank goodness.

I've been playing this on Vita, probably clocked about 4-5 hours now. Love it so much; the audiovisual presentation is terrific, the controls are perfect and I really love the sense of progression and achievement. It looks wonderful on the Vita's screen too.

hayguyz

Banned
Is there a way to get back to the top and sell stuff quickly?

It's so boring having to keep going back to the surface to sell stuff

daevv

Sorry for the bump but I thought this game needed it as it's on sale on PSN as a cross buy for PS4/Vita! Been reading through the thread for info and tips.

I recently bought this game during the Steam Sale and then again yesterday for PS4 and Vita and it's a great game! It really scratches the Minecraft/Terraria itch I've been having while waiting for their PS4 releases.

Happy mining!

breakfuss

Is this still the OT or is there another for the PSN release? Anyway, about to pick this up since it's on sale for 5 BUCKS. A tad disappointed there's no cross-save but I hear it's because of trophy lists. When the heck did Sony implement that rule? I've really enjoyed my time with Terraria so I'm hoping this can further scratch that itch.

Bought it a couple days ago on the sale as well. Game is fucking awesome, but super lame that there is no cross save feature. Played it on the Vita all day yesterday and intended to sit down and play on PS4 today, nope... Lame.

daevv

Bought it a couple days ago on the sale as well. Game is fucking awesome, but super lame that there is no cross save feature. Played it on the Vita all day yesterday and intended to sit down and play on PS4 today, nope... Lame.

I was the opposite. Played on PS4 for a few hours and wanted to continue on Vita on my lunch break. :(

breakfuss

I was the opposite. Played on PS4 for a few hours and wanted to continue on Vita on my lunch break. :(

Well, if it's any consolation the game is extremely short so you'll ikely want to replay it. I finished it on vita but will do the speed-run challenge on PS4.

Well, if it's any consolation the game is extremely short so you'll ikely want to replay it. I finished it on vita but will do the speed-run challenge on PS4.

Yep, just finished it. Fun and addicting little game. Wish there was something a little more to it gameplay-wise, but it's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

I also got this a couple of days ago while it was on sale, and I'm very surprised by how briskly paced the game is. On the other hand, even with the plasma lantern, I'm surprised by how quickly my lamp runs out of power.

daevv

Finished it last night. I might of been a little too thorough in looking for stuff as it took almost 7 hours. :)

Sesha

Just finished it after getting it from HIB12. Enjoyed it for what it was. Took me about 8 hours according to Steam, as I obsessively searched the game with a fine comb to locate every gem/metal to the end. I found the game to be long enough. More and it probably would have started to wear of its welcome, unless some new mechanics were introduced.

Don't get the Metroidvania descriptions for the game, though. I felt there was nothing Metroidvania-y about it in the slightest.

LQX

Just finished this on the PC. Great little game. Enjoyed this more than any other "mining" game I've tried. I guess it is the platforming elements. For those that got it in the Indie Bundles, definitely give it a go.

Any other games like this out there?

wilflare

Just finished this on the PC. Great little game. Enjoyed this more than any other "mining" game I've tried. I guess it is the platforming elements. For those that got it in the Indie Bundles, definitely give it a go.

Any other games like this out there?

their next game SteamWorld Heist is in the works :D

n64coder

I bought this game last year when it was released but didn't get around to playing it until this past weekend.

Wow, it's fun. I'm always partial to digging games (Dig Dug, Miner Dig Deep, Boulderdash) but I enjoyed the superb platforming aspect to this game. The controls seem tight and execute well. I like being able to wall jump my way up.

As I play the game, I discover new abilities like being able to stick myself halfway out and still wall jump up or stick myself halfway out and chip away at a block two squares away.

I'm currently around the 4-5 hour mark where I'm inside the final area I think.

I'm looking forward to a sequel one day.

MarkusRJR

So I'm trying to decide between the 3DS and Wii U Versions. Main deciding factor would be whether or not the Wii U version has overscan settings for the UI. I have my Wii U set up to a large HD CRT and either I get slightl
overscan or small ugly black bars (using Nintendo's built in setting). Usually I just deal with the slight overscan (since it's rarely an issue), but in the screen shots on the eShop for this game the UI is being cut off.

TLDR: Is there overscan options (usually called "screen size" in the options) for the UI in this game?

Nicko

Ah, the embarrassment of having to concede that we haven't posted here in a long time... but you guys seem to get along fine without us!

SteamWorld Dig is doing great, still among the top of most charts around the planet where we've released, and we have some good news.

Second, a new instalment in the SteamWorld series is in the works. Yep. Of course we'll comment here on NeoGAF when we announce.

Love you all. Now get back to the game. :)

Great to hear Japan is getting exposure to SWD!! And even better, we are getting a SEQUEL!!! I must say that your first game was so absolutely fantastic. I played it literally non-stop from start to finish. Thank you so much for putting so much love and quality into the game. It simply radiated mastery.

In said sequel, might we be able to expect more boss type characters/boss environment encounters? Its the one thing I really thought the game could have used.

Thanks again, and can't wait to hear more about SWD2! Please feel free to stop by anytime and let us know how things are progressing!! We would absolutely love to know!

Cheers,

Nicko

E-phonk

Banned
Bought it this week, as it was on sale on the WiiU EU eshop. Love it, quite addicting little game!

Hope the turn based sequel is just as much fun.

I felt the need to bump this, in light of the recent PS+ offering of Steamworld Dig.

What. A. Game!!

Absolutely loving it. I'm really sorry I'm so late to the party on this one. I'm seriously considering purchasing it on my 3DS just to support the devs. They deserve it.

I'd happily pay for more of this game in the form of DLC or something.

Question: Does ore/enemies/hidden caves/etc. spawn in different places with each new playthrough?

Sora_N

I really enjoyed the last part of the game.

This game was a surprise for me, I got it from the Humble Bundle but I don't like to play on PC that much so I didn't really get into it. Man, had so much fun.

I finished in about 3:52, just played the way I wanted to.

Top Bottom