• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

McWhoopass

Neo Member
I just wanted to say that so far this is the perfect game for me at the moment. I took advantage of the Shin Megami Tensei IV & Fire Emblem deal and have just finished putting 150 hours into SMT IV and wanted something simple but rewarding in between games.

The progression of powers and discovery deep in the mines is wonderful and exactly what gaming should be. I look forward to any additional entries into this world. Keep up the good work!

Palehorse

Finished the game last night, clocked in 7.5 hours, which is a lot for me nowadays.

I really liked it and thought it was a perfect bite sized game. Great progression, tight controls, the upgrades made me feel more powerful and capable, followed right after by more enemies that hurt me lol.

I'm not sure how to start a NG+? Some people mentioned that there were different enemies, etc?

9/10 would play again.

Olorin

Finished it in 7:40 and just now started again, trying to do some sort of speedrun, though it probably won't be incredibly fast.

McWhoopass

Neo Member
Does anyone know what you actually get for finding the Golden Gears aside from full health,water,and light? I can't seem to find an in game counter so I have no idea if I've found all of them so far or if they do anything.

Thanks

Is there legit NG+? Or if I start again, will I just be replaying the same experience (with a different underground layout)?

Well I didn't really notice much of a difference the second time in

Although I only got as far as halfway through the old world before deleting my save after dying and accidently pressing a.

Next time no autosave please I&F.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Guys, I'm enjoying the heck of Guacamelee right now. How does this game compare?

How does Gears of War compare to Grand Theft Auto?

both are totally different games duder. The only thing in common might be that you can get upgraded abilities for your character.

Phew, 0:50 completion time. I could improve that with a few minutes if I'm lucky with the layout, but damn, it's a bit stressful.

The ending is still the same even if you don't get the fifth villager by the way. He's still there in the final cut-scene.

Does anyone know what you actually get for finding the Golden Gears aside from full health,water,and light? I can't seem to find an in game counter so I have no idea if I've found all of them so far or if they do anything.

Thanks

It only refills your health, water and oil.

GWX

How does Gears of War compare to Grand Theft Auto?

both are totally different games duder. The only thing in common might be that you can get upgraded abilities for your character.

It's just that people have been comparing both games to Metroid or Castlevania, and I wanted to know which one execute the exploration part best.

Just completed the game today. Finish time was around 5 hours and 40 minutes.

I loved this game, it was a joy to play from beginning to end with really very little in the way of things I didn't like. Controls were great, tools and their upgrades were cool and balanced nicely with when they arrive and tougher mineral to plough through. The slowly changing environments as you went deeper and deeper were great. It was quite a subtle effect but when you went to the top surfaces again they look so different. 60fps is beautiful (PLEASE keep 60fps in future games), the music was very well done, as were the characters you meet and the slow introduction of new stores as you continue to play.

I would love to see a sequel to this some day, but I'd much rather see what else these guys are doing, they are certainly an incredibly talented bunch so it's exciting to see what they do next. Hopefully we won't have to too long to find out! Nintendo should give them 2D Metroid, they'd make an awesome game of it!

If there was one thing I would like to have seen more of in the game,
it would of been boss fights. The one at the end is really good fun so its a shame there wasn't more throughout. How about a large burrowing worm that is chasing you do that you have to dynamite traps so falling rocks crush it :D

Loved it. Best downloadable game on any platform I have played in a very long time.

Skelter

Banned
It's just that people have been comparing both games to Metroid or Castlevania, and I wanted to know which one execute the exploration part best.

Steamworld borrows ideas from Metroid but doesn't play like it. If you can get one then I suggest Guacamalee otherwise both are great.

Finally beat it, 6:45. One of, if not the best downloadable title on the 3DS. Can't wait for what I hope is an inevitable sequel, some fantastic ideas that if expanded upon could be even better. Kudos, Image & Form.

imageform

Finally beat it, 6:45. One of, if not the best downloadable title on the 3DS. Can't wait for what I hope is an inevitable sequel, some fantastic ideas that if expanded upon could be even better. Kudos, Image & Form.

Been waiting for you to finish. Glad you like It so much. We'll come out with more stuff in the series, don't you worry. :)

Anyone have ideas for how we can spread awareness of SteamWorld Dig? All thoughts welcome, just remember that we have a PR/marketing budget that more resembles an absurd Monty Python joke than anything else.

All of you GAFfers have been amazing, so the last thing we want to do is abuse you. But it would be so much fun to see the game rip the US list like it's done in Europe and Australia, and it would be extraordinary - a first - to do it together with such dynamic people as yourselves. I don't know what we can offer in return other than credit. In every interview, written and spoken, I mention the unexpected marvel that is the NeoGAF community: you guys.

Thanks for carrying us on your shoulders this far. The road ahead looks shock full of possibilities and amazing twists and turns.

All the best and look forward to listening to you, here and elsewhere.
Brjann, Image & Form
@imageform (Twitter) and brjann at imageform dot se

Hale-XF11

If NoA had its shit together, they'd stop hogging the entire main menu of the eShop with their own games and give other games, like this one, the spotlight for a change.

jackal27

Banned
Been waiting for you to finish. Glad you like It so much. We'll come out with more stuff in the series, don't you worry. :)

Anyone have ideas for how we can spread awareness of SteamWorld Dig? All thoughts welcome, just remember that we have a PR/marketing budget that more resembles an absurd Monty Python joke than anything else.

All of you GAFfers have been amazing, so the last thing we want to do is abuse you. But it would be so much fun to see the game rip the US list like it's done in Europe and Australia, and it would be extraordinary - a first - to do it together with such dynamic people as yourselves. I don't know what we can offer in return other than credit. In every interview, written and spoken, I mention the unexpected marvel that is the NeoGAF community: you guys.

Thanks for carrying us on your shoulders this far. The road ahead looks shock full of possibilities and amazing twists and turns.

Brjann, Image & Form

I really wish that some bigger sites like Destructoid would review it.

Keio

For a Finer World
Finished this in 5:39, one my highlights of the year! Really makes me appreciate the 3DS as a super-versatile platform too.

The way some upgrades took the pain out of certain repetitive tasks was well designed, also encouraging returning to old areas.

Some transitions from worlds felt jarring in a good way: "holy shit, this part really plays different" until you upgrade and start coping.

Definitely a top-candidate for sleeper GOTY for me.

chris121580

Brjann, Image & Form
I would recommend reaching out to Giant Bomb and see if they'll do a quick look of it. Seems like a game Brad in particular would love

Got this game a few nights ago, but man is it awesome. Great great game, I fear it wont do well on the eshop though as its a niche game with a strange title. I already got two friends to pick it up and they love it as well.

I'm so sad I wasn't quick enough to score one of the codes Nintendaan was giving out :(, and the contest thread is over with no word, and I made a pic to boot:

zlCfzRGDynYinQsKvf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648295

zroid

Banned
They're fairly responsive, maybe someone should email them? It's not like they neglect downloadable titles. They previewed it back in March and seemed very positive. Get @jimsterling on the line!

If not Jim then definitely Jonathan Holmes (@tronknotts). He loves quirky eShop games more than just about anyone.

Holmes also does a weekly skypecast ('Sup Holmes) usually with various indie devs, but I think he's fully booked for a while. Still, you guys at I&F should get in touch. It's not the most widely watched thing on the Internet but it's a great way to talk about your game and such in detail with a dude who is genuinely interested.

polg

I picked this up a couple of days ago, and was so into it one night that I lost track of the time! Loving every second. it gives me a huge Mr. Driller vibe... one of my favorite games ever

I heard of it on the Besties (polygon's podcast), which is weird because I couldn't find any mention of it on the actual website (or their search doesn't work)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is this like a more polished Miner Dig Deep.. I fucking LOVED that game.. and if it is.. then insta-buy.

09tarheel

Neo Member
Just finished the game at around 5 hours and thought it was really great.

I saw on the US eshop the game is now in the top 5 of recent best sellers and it now has a prominent spot on the front page of the shop (when I bought it last week I had to go through several sub menus to find it). Hopefully the positive word of mouth continues for the game and it becomes the big hit it deserves to be!

Sat down to play this for "a few minutes" last night, next thing I knew it was 2AM. What a wonderful experience... I don't want it to end!

I play it every night before going to bed. Definitely love the music and gameplay, really helps me relax and it's really fun! I've told several of my friends to buy it.

Sat down to play this for "a few minutes" last night, next thing I knew it was 2AM. What a wonderful experience... I don't want it to end!
It's a bummer when it does end. I want to keep playing but I also don't want to start over with nothing.

Since the levels are procedurally generated from what I understand, it's too bad there's not an 'infinite' mode or something that draws new levels and let's you just have fun with them.

Every playthrough is randomly generated within certain parameters, meaning that certain minerals, enemies, water, cave entrances etc are in somewhat random places every time you play. That's the extent of it though.

Just finished this last night at the 6 hour and 20 min mark, I think I got pretty much everything I needed. Was an amazing game and easily one of the best things to come out of the eShop on the 3DS next year. I'll admit I was abit apprehensive going in as I wasn't too sure after not really enjoying the first Steamworld game, but this was miles better then that. Heck it made me go back and rebuy Steamworld Defense just to try and give it another go :D

Kudos to the guys at Image and Form, you've made an amazing game, its easily ranks up amongst the best 3DS titles and will be one of the many games I look back apon fondly for years to come.

FryHole

Pottering about in the eShop today, saw this and vaguely remembered positive impressions on GAF so I had a punt on it. I have to say, this is the very embodiment of games that are a joy to play simply due to the controls - as you leap and slide and bounce around I found it easy to forget what I was actually supposed to be doing.

zroid

Banned
the QL was pretty good, even though watching someone dig for 40 minutes can get a little tiresome, lol

Brad seemed to enjoy it a lot, which kept the enthusiasm level high. That always helps in a Quick Look. It was fun after he passed the point he had previously played to, witnessing his surprise at discovering new stuff.

Just beat it at 6 hours 21 minutes. It did get a little repetitive towards the end, but overall, was a fantastic little game. One of the best the e-shop has to offer IMO.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game is my metroidvania of the year, hands down.

Top Bottom