• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris - Paradox Dev Studios new sci-fi grand strategy game

Not really high fantasy though, is it? I mean, I don't get wizards or orcs or anything. It just takes place in a typical medieval world with some magic in the background and wacky seasons.
It also plays poorly. The mod is cool for Asoiaf flavor, but it ruins CK2's gameplay by turning it a railroaded and overly deterministic experience.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This does look more like a typical 4X game, than Paradox Grand Strategy. Considering there are already a million great ones of those... this seems unfortunate, but I guess we'll see tonight.

GECK

This does look more like a typical 4X game, than Paradox Grand Strategy. Considering there are already a million great ones of those... this seems unfortunate, but I guess we'll see tonight.

Huh? There are barely any great space grand strategy games with realtime and pause. A million lol.

Distant worlds is cool but the UI is absolutely atrocious garbage. Now imagine a Distant Worlds type of game with Paradox polish/support and modability.

epmode

Man, I hope this one supports UI scaling. The other grand strategy games are very hard to read on screens over 1080p.

Quasar

355ft6.jpg

Caronte

Doesn't look like grand strategy to me but we'll see.

Man, I hope this one supports UI scaling. The other grand strategy games are very hard to read on screens over 1080p.

I think there are mods for that (I'm not sure).

Huh? There are barely any great space grand strategy games with realtime and pause. A million lol.

Distant worlds is cool but the UI is absolutely atrocious garbage. Now imagine a Distant Worlds type of game with Paradox polish/support and modability.

He's talking about 4X, not grand strategy.

How did you get "burned" with Cities:Skylines? That seems a tad to drastic a word considering that C:S did work and play rather well at release.

The game mechanics were extremely shallow and unrealistic like building ghettos so your industry get enough workers, while your city didn't even need an industry sector because you could just import everything without problems.

Cities is basically a good traffic simulator with a subpar city building game as topping.

megalowho

Ooh. This could be good. I trust Paradox to do something unique with their approach, whether it's as "grand strategy" as Crusader Kings/EU or a more familiar 4X in space setup.

epmode

I think there are mods for that (I'm not sure).

I don't think there are. I haven't checked in the last year though.

If UI scaling isn't supported, a mod like that is a big deal. It's a total UI replacement. Fonts and icons, plus making sure that everything is formatted properly.

Shengar

I just see the screen now since it can't be displayed somehow on my phone.
And holy shit, I can totally see LoGH mod from miles away.
If there isn't any LoGH mod of this game, I will riot

Interesting to see how this stacks up vs. Distant Worlds, the current "king" of the sort of real time w/ pause space grand strategy game. That game is amazing but holy cow is the UI awkward at times.

If it is a sort of 4x MoO derivative, SNORE. I can't imagine it would be much more interesting than GalCiv3 or Endless Space 2. It's certainly not turn based from looking at the screencaps.

Damnit, was really hoping Project Augustus was a new game set around ancient Rome... but it's this.

A big part of the draw of Paradox's games are that they are historically rooted, so you always have some orientation of what things "should" look like even as actual history goes off the rails in short order. A huge challenge they are going to have with this game is bridging the abstract gap that not having a historical context introduces. It certainly caused Firaxis a lot of problems with their most recent big game.

I too would have prefered Rome 2 or especially another stab at Vicky, but we'll never get those games.

Tenebrous

A big part of the draw of Paradox's games are that they are historically rooted, so you always have some orientation of what things "should" look like even as actual history goes off the rails in short order. A huge challenge they are going to have with this game is bridging the abstract gap that not having a historical context introduces. It certainly caused Firaxis a lot of problems with their most recent big game.

I too would have prefered Rome 2 or especially another stab at Vicky, but we'll never get those games.

Victoria III will almost certainly happen. With CK2, EU4, and HOI4 (soon), Viccy remains the only one of the big four that needs a sequel.

Don't say that man, I need to believe that it's going to happen at some point.

Ruruja

Yeah this is ripe for a Legend of the Galactic Heroes mod.

Having admirals like Mittermeyer and Reuenthal, how could you possibly lose?

Look forward to seeing more of it.

Arulan

Cities: Skylines - After Dark, nice! It's one of the important things that was missing, despite mods attempting to fix it.

Top Bottom