• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris - Paradox Dev Studios new sci-fi grand strategy game

ilium

I've never tried to get into Grand strategy, but I think this will be my first try.
It sounds super ambitious and I hope they can deliver!

I also hope they let me build a Farcaster net across the Galaxy so i can Develop an UI to build a Shrike Unit, which I will send back in time to wreak havoc among my enemies, heh.

Jisgsaw

Bit late now but just wanted to say thanks for the link, very helpful!

Little tip: if you do chose France, maybe you should start not at 1444, but around 1460, when England is already kicked out of the continent (except Calais), and France gains a few other regions. Else wou'll have to start directly with a war with England, and that could go wrong (it did for me).
Though you will have to live with the fact that the first idea slot will be taken, but the idea chosen isn't bad.
Also another helpful link for the trade system.
And the GAF thread, if you ever have questions. Though the games have quite a following, you usually can just google your questions, you should find answers.

Caayn

I've never tried to get into Grand strategy, but I think this will be my first try.
It sounds super ambitious and I hope they can deliver!

I also hope they let me build a Farcaster net across the Galaxy so i can Develop an UI to build a Shrike Unit, which I will send back in time to wreak havoc among my enemies, heh.
Same here, I'm really new to this genre and looks like this might be my way in.

You mean Warhammer 40k

c7NJRa2.gif

I get more excited about this game the more I think about it, to the point where I don't mind Project Augustus (which turned out to be this) not being a ancient Rome themed game as much.
The random races and galaxies sound like they could be awesome for a grand stratagy game and I'm curious to see what Paradox is going to do with the sci fi setting. Can't think of a whole lot of sci fi games with a good diplomacy system, for example.
Hopefully it won't take too long before they start revealing more stuff

Chariot

New dev diary hit yesterday: #2 - Art Vision. It mainly talks about them looking at different old and new sci-fi franchises, but sn interesting bit is that they decided to not go overly dark and griddy, just realistic.

Rosur

This does look awesome from that RPS preview. I do hope this is more like SINS in easiness to pick up.

That said I'm hoping for cool super weapons for the end game like planet busters/ sun killers and things like wormhole weapons.

Chariot

Loving it. Looking forward to FTL next week, hopefully we get a lot of different options; one of my favorite things about Sword of the Stars was how differently the various FTL options made the factions play.
They said in the RPS artivlr that they had three methods of FTL travel. Lanes, wormholes and warp. SotS had more, I hope they have planned for that in future Paradox DLCs.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Expected around February 2016 (?) but it's not set in stone. That's from memory, I think I read it on some article around Gamescom, think it was from an interview.

It's releasedate on the storepage was set as I think 9th of february 2016 when it went up on steam before the official announcement.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This seems like one of my dream games.

I'm very skeptical of the February release date, though, considering how much else is releasing around that time and the whole Hearts of Iron 4 situation.

The tradeoffs they're building into the FTL systems are interesting. Hyperdrive reminds me of the human Node drive from SOTS, and hopefully just as broken in the right hands (read: mine).

Ranking the three, I'd say it goes Hyper>Wormhole>Warp, at least for my playstyle. A handful of extremely powerful fleets deployed in a "garrison" fashion, equipped to rapidly respond to any threat. Lets me focus on building up my infrastructure.

I would be curious to know if you can pursue multiple types, however. Using Hyperdrives on defensive fleets and Wormhole stations for offense would be incredible.

ZZMitch

The tradeoffs they're building into the FTL systems are interesting. Hyperdrive reminds me of the human Node drive from SOTS, and hopefully just as broken in the right hands (read: mine).

Ranking the three, I'd say it goes Hyper>Wormhole>Warp, at least for my playstyle. A handful of extremely powerful fleets deployed in a "garrison" fashion, equipped to rapidly respond to any threat. Lets me focus on building up my infrastructure.

I would be curious to know if you can pursue multiple types, however. Using Hyperdrives on defensive fleets and Wormhole stations for offense would be incredible.

According to a response from a Dev on the thread you choose your FTL type near the start of the game. So it doesn't look like you normally get to have multiple types at once. He did say there are exceptions though (eg. discovering a long lost fleet of ancient ships or something)

Chariot

According to a response from a Dev on the thread you choose your FTL type near the start of the game. So it doesn't look like you normally get to have multiple types at once. He did say there are exceptions though (eg. discovering a long lost fleet of ancient ships or something)
You choose it at the very start - the game begins at the moment the civilisations discover their form of FTL travel.

Oh, that's a shame.

Still, offers some very cool possibilities.

Top Bottom