• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
i don't think the players (gsw) will even care about the record if they don't even make it to the finals.

if they get knocked out tonight .. fastforward ten years or so and ask them what they remember or how they feel about the 2016 season. they won't say "it was great, we won the most regular season games ever". they'll say "we got our asses handed to us by the oklahoma city thunder and it sucked".

that is a big if, of course.

A t shirt Scotty Pippen once wore changes my opinion.

Thanks!

I guess mischaracterizing the point of the photo really is the only way to refute the underlying truth.

Look, like I said before: the reverse bandwagoning going on in this thread and elsewhere is just as bad as the GS bandwagoning that was going on in the regular season. That said, the Warriors have to chip if they want that legacy.

The more interesting thing that can come from this series is the fact KD and Russ might stick it out with posoble shorter term contract.

Part of me thinks they are rethinking it a lot right now

That was pretty much always going to be the case with Kevin unless the team just completely fell apart this year. He'd be leaving a ridiculous amount of money on the table by signing long term somewhere else this offseason. He's looking at the 2017 offseason as a year where A.) the salary cap takes another huge jump and B.) he becomes eligible for the veteran max.

All the stuff you've seen online this year about Durant going here or there was just clickbait trash. He was only going to go somewhere else if the team looked like it had no future or if he suddenly decided that he really hates money.

i don't think the players (gsw) will even care about the record if they don't even make it to the finals.

if they get knocked out tonight .. fastforward ten years or so and ask them what they remember or how they feel about the 2016 season. they won't say "it was great, we wont the most regular season games ever". they'll say "we got our asses handed to us by the oklahoma city thunder and it sucked".

Looks like we have a mind reader here.

Can you tell me what I'm thinking right now?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If Warriors get knocked out tonight can we please make a pact with the internet to retire crying Jordan for a shot a Steph's face when the clock hits 0?

Gigglepoo

I find both those records to be impressive.

I don't live in Seattle or New England.

I'm in the same boat. GS and Seattle are both a little different from Seattle. The Mariners never won a ring. The Patriots and Warriors have and had the most regular season wins. So there's no "Who cares, do something in the playoffs!" rhetoric to undermine their achievements.

They've explicit said that it would be horrible if they don't chip after getting the record.

Well of course, not getting the chip after a historic season will be a disappointment for them. But you can't tell me they will still be disappointed when they look back years from now.

i cant

but if i was hazarding a guess i'd say that you're a gsw fan who wants something to hang his hat on if his team gets blown out of the west finals

Well, I can safely say that you're wrong. I'm not a GSW fan.

entremet

Well of course, not getting the chip after a historic season will be a disappointment for them. But you can't tell me they will still be disappointed when they look back years from now.

Well, I can safely say that you're wrong. I'm not a GSW fan.

Of course they still will be disappointed. Do you understand the psyche of a competitor?

Doug Collins is still bitter about the Olympic Games he played ub decades ago, in which the US was basically robbed of a Gold Medal.

TSM

The problem with losing now is that the 30 for 30 that will be made someday will be about the collapse of the GSW dream season in the playoffs. One of the biggest disappointments in US sports history. That will be the legacy.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Of course they still will be disappointed. Do you understand the psyche of a competitor?

Doug Collins is still bitter about the Olympic Games he played ub decades ago, in which the US was basically robbed of a Gold Medal.

Of course they will be disappointed.

But that doesn't mean they won't be proud of going 73-9.

The problem with losing now is that the 30 for 30 that will be made someday will be about the collapse of the GSW dream season in the playoffs. One of the biggest disappointments in US sports history. That will be the legacy.

They were beat by a team playing better than them.

So interesting!

Gigglepoo

A documentary saying "They got beat by a great team with an excellent gameplan" isn't compelling. Every disappointment doesn't make for a great story.

entremet

A documentary saying "They got beat by a great team with an excellent gameplan" isn't compelling. Every disappointment doesn't make for a great story.

It doesn't have be framed that way.

A documentary that went over their full season would be fascinating. Amazing documentaries have been made on much less exciting subjects.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!

A documentary that went over their full season would be fascinating. Amazing documentaries have been made on much less exciting subjects.

Why would the make a documentary about a regular season that nobody will remember?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I have a feeling OKC is about to feel the Dub's wrath in a big big way tonight and for the next two games after that. There's just no way Curry won't dig deep and destroy Westbrook, Curry is just too damn talented and beyond anything we've ever seen in the game of Basketball, this is a fairytale waiting to happen. Also Draymond Green has been called a top-10 NBA player by Jerry West---here's an ultimate competitor that knows he too needs to and will go supernova.

phanphare

Banned
In what way is it apples and oranges? They were two teams that accomplished just about as much as you can do in the regular season and shat the bed in the playoffs. The record will just serve as a reminder of their failure in the playoffs. That of course assumes that the Warriors don't have a comeback.

to me the apples/oranges thing is that the warriors are getting beat by a better team whereas the pats got beat by a worse team

Gigglepoo

Only if how they respond next season makes the narrative more compelling. The Nash Suns, for instance, would make for a fun documentary because they lost in heartbreaking ways over and over again. That would be compelling. But the last two seasons don't strike me as great theater. If they rebound spectacularly last year? Maybe. If they crumble into a lottery team? Maybe. But the "We set the world on fire, won a title, were even better the second year and then lost to a great team" narrative doesn't have the twists or heartbreak or surprising joy or anything that make for a great documentary.

to me the apples/oranges thing is that the warriors are getting beat by a better team whereas the pats got beat by a worse team

The Giants beat the Patriots twice. That wasn't a fluke. Sure, the perception may be that the Giants were dogs, but they had the best defensive line in the business. All they needed to do was make one or two offensive plays and they could win.

I have a feeling OKC is about to feel the Dub's wrath in a big big way tonight and for the next two games after that. There's just no way Curry won't dig deep and destroy Westbrook, Curry is just too damn talented and beyond anything we've ever seen in the game of Basketball, this is a fairytale waiting to happen. Also Draymond Green has been called a top-10 NBA player by Jerry West---here's an ultimate competitor that knows he too needs to and will go supernova.

Whoa now, don't talk like that, you might offend some of the people here who are celebrating the death of the Warriors.

phanphare

Banned
The Giants beat the Patriots twice. That wasn't a fluke. Sure, the perception may be that the Giants were dogs, but they had the best defensive line in the business. All they needed to do was make one or two offensive plays and they could win.

they only played the pats once that season and lost I thought

Jag

The Giants beat the Patriots twice. That wasn't a fluke.

I'm all for Big Blue, but that catch was a fluke. Pats were a better team. We got lucky as hell. But a win's a win.

GS is probably the better team, but if they don't even get to the Finals, they will be remembered for failure this year. That's how sports works.

they only played the pats once that season and lost I thought

Two SBs

Regardless of the intent of the original post, was I wrong?

Honestly? Yes. Your hate for all things LeBron has you imagining a great number of things, in my opinion. But, hey, you be you. Though I thought you'd be positioning yourself for the jump to the OKC bandwagon for the finals, should it come to that. Think ahead, it's time to pivot towards the center.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, but the fact the Giants beat them again using a similar gameplan proves that first game wasn't a fluke. Patriots historically struggle against teams that can get a great pass rush.

well yeah, tom tom's a flinger

I still think the pats were the better team that season and should have won that superbowl

jman2050

well yeah, tom tom's a flinger

I still think the pats were the better team that season and should have won that superbowl

They were. By a lot.

The D-Line was arguably elite but the rest of the team was mediocre at best, especially that paultry offense carried by pre-Unstoppable Eli Manning. Even if you consider their play in the playoffs an improvement over their regular season they weren't exactly a dominant force against the NFC.

They dismantled a mediocre Tampa Bay team, stayed close with Dallas but were one bad route by Crayton from losing that game (nobody remembers this. I remember because I had the sickest feeling in my stomach when Romo's pass was in the air and Crayton was wide open for the game winning touchdown. Except he stopped for some reason and the pass sailed over his head), missed two game winning field goals against the Packers and only had a third chance because Brett Favre was Brett Favre in OT. And of course the helmet catch is the single luckiest play in Super Bowl history.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
He guaranteed a victory? Let me call my bookie.

Hold up, he didn't happen to mention if they would cover, did he?

It sounded silly in my original post, but Green is a hell of a player. He is one of the few in the NBA that can single-handedly turn the tide of a game, just like Durant or Westbrook. It's not some random scrub making claim.

If Durant guaranteed victory, as well, then we'd have an impasse. We would need a tiebreaker. Unless the tiebreaker tied.

Let's say all of Green, Curry, and Thompson guaranteed victory on one side, and Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka guaranteed victory on the other. Similarly, both Kerr and Donovan guaranteed victories, and on and on until we've gone through ownership all the way down to the teams' radio announcers.

What's the procedure from there? Let's assume David Stern and that stooge stand-in Adam Silver do not have a vote.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
No I'm serious. Steph and Green are due for huge nights. Green guaranteed a victory.

edit: Also I'm sure there are huge adjustments in play for Kerr.

Huge adjustments

*Make sure there is water on the ground when Westbrook walks out*

If Durant guaranteed victory, as well, then we'd have an impasse. We would need a tiebreaker. Unless the tiebreaker tied.

Let's say all of Green, Curry, and Thompson guaranteed victory on one side, and Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka guaranteed victory on the other. Similarly, both Kerr and Donovan guaranteed victories, and on and on until we've gone through ownership all the way down to the teams' radio announcers.

What's the procedure from there? Let's assume David Stern and that stooge stand-in Adam Silver do not have a vote.

Depends. is C-Webb on commentary tonight? If so then he swings it for GS.

FStop7

Banned
I can easily see GSW winning tonight. But I don't see them winning three in a row. Stranger things have happened, but they looked like a team that was either out of gas or that OKC was inside their heads. Green's showgirl kicking routine really hurt his team.

wowzors

These last couple of posts are just filled with sports cliches. A team can't just magically turn it on and win.

And whoever said green is in the same league as Durant needs to rethink that. Have we ever seen Green with just one other star do the things Durant does?

Green looks good because he has shooters around him, he isn't an amazing player.

If the W's can somehow pull this off, it'd be legendary. They won't though. I hope so because I want durant to move on from OKC, and it'll be hard if they chip or even make it to the finals.

Cheebo

Banned
If the W's can somehow pull this off, it'd be legendary. They won't though. I hope so because I want durant to move on from OKC, and it'll be hard if they chip or even make it to the finals.
Making the WCF and coming this close to beating the Warriors means he is going nowhere. If the lost to Spurs? sure. But he isn't going anywhere now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom