• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
An Analysis of the Steph Curry Supernova

Curry has 100+ 3s in 20 games, the second fastest player to 100 in a season was Ray Allen in 31 games.

Also, more graphs:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

morris-stephcurry-21.png

morris-stephcurry-52.png

morris-stephcurry-81.png

---Original Post----

Let's talk about Steph Curry.

This man is a walking 2K player. I don't give a damn if it's only been 4 games (really though, it hasn't...he's been doing this for a full season+ - although he somehow looks like he got better)...this shit is ridiculous. I mean, look at this shit. Or This shit.

I haven't been watching the NBA for that long. Shit, I was only born in '91. I watched Jordan games on NBA Classic and just started getting into basketball while watching Kobe & Shaq, KG, Tim Duncan, AI & company in their primes. I really actually started watching basketball when the stacked class of Bron/Wade/Melo and others came into the league. But I've never seen anything like this guy. I know fans of other teams who say that watching the Warriors and Curry put on a show is one of the things they can't miss. This dude literally pulls up from wherever the fuck he wants and defenders are shook of him doing anything that looks like he might go into shooting motion. I saw him do a little hesitation a few steps past halfcourt and the defender was ready to fly at him.

Yeah, he's gonna cool down eventually (and so will the Warriors), but we are witnessing some revolutionary stuff in the game of Basketball. And it's awesome.

EDIT: A month later...I know I said he's gonna cool down...but...fuck

EDIT 2: More than halfway into the season. I was wrong. He ain't gonna cool down. The man is a basketball god. What the hell is this?

Up fake is deadly too , he can get a ton of 4 point plays x 3 free throws too

Lol at people saying Grizzlies would have beat the Warriors last season, Steph and the Warriors shitted on them yesterday

methodman

Banned
steph's been the best player in the nba last season as well. the nba world is finally coming around on it now. dude is just dominant

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I haven't caught much NBA over the past few seasons but it's great to see him recognized for his play. I remember the year he was drafted, it seemed like everybody was trying to find a reason why they didn't need a ridiculously great shooter on their team. Minnesota taking two guards directly before him (Are either of them still around?) has got to go down as one of the worst draft decisions in history, even if he didn't set the league on fire immediately out of the gates.

I'm still wondering where this came from. He was pretty good coming out of school but not even close to this level. It's like he sold his soul to the devil or something.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Another thing is how his stats are ridiculous despite his minutes played. This dude scores 30+ while sitting out entire 4th quarters. It's always impressive when people go on scoring rampages, but the effort (or lack thereof) with which this is being done is nuts.

Steph Curry is outside the top 45 in minutes played, yet somehow still leads the NBA in total points & 3's, and is top 5 in assists & steals

Anth0ny

got him on my fantasy team

dude is a god. <3

winning mvp again this year, free. also, warriors winning rings again, free.

and I picked third in my draft. anthony davis and lebron went above him!

george_us

I'm still wondering where this came from. He was pretty good coming out of school but not even close to this level. It's like he sold his soul to the devil or something.
He was a fantastic shooter in college but yeah. It's to the point where he could be consistently launching it from beyond 3-pt range on his back and I would expect it to go in. Ridiculous. Never thought he'd be this good coming out of college.

Lagamorph

"Steph Curry Supernova" sounds like the bathroom aftermath of someone named Steph eating a particularly spicy curry.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Much more exciting because Curry is still playing within a team concept, taking smart shots, playing ultra efficiently and playing on both ends.

There's a pretty big difference between the team Russell was playing on last year and the Golden State Warriors... But, I digress.

Curry has better control over a basketball than I have over any of the limbs attached to my body. I'd be in awe if I wasn't so fucking jealous.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

He was the best scorer in the country playing for freaking Davidson and took them to the elite 8. It might not have been expected to work to this degree in the NBA, but he was effectively automatic from 3 point range since he was in school.

Steph hearing all those off-season comments about the Warriors being lucky last year has unlocked even more of his abilities. Can't wait for him to show us Vanishing Drive and Misdirection Overflow.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Haven't keep up with basketball in close to a decade, but some of those highlights.. good god. That release is ridiculous.

Jonm1010

Banned
There's a pretty big difference between the team Russell was playing on last year and the Golden State Warriors... But, I digress.

Curry has better control over a basketball than I have over any of the limbs attached to my body. I'd be in awe if I wasn't so fucking jealous.

Doesn't excuse the fuck ball that went on with Westbrook's streak. Low efficiency stat filling just isn't very compelling to me. Westbrook had a couple actual nice performances but a number of his triple doubles were just a lot of fuckball that with enough volume got him nice numbers.

I don't consider going 26-70 from the field and 1-11 from three while averaging 5 TOV a game and allowing your defensive assignment to be 1 assist away from his own triple double but doing so at 68% shooting and the following night allowing his assignment to score 28 on nearly 50% shooting to be awe inspiring basketball.

Which is what he did in the middle of that streak....Curry on the other hand is playing masterfully.

Robert Williams

Neo Member
Haven't keep up with basketball in close to a decade, but some of those highlights.. good god. That release is ridiculous.

This is what I'm saying. I've always been a fan of shooters and I don't remember anyone having a release this quick. How can you guard that? It's like they just have to hope he misses.

Curry reminds me of playing NBA Live 95 on the highest difficulty...you just put the controller down cause you weren't going to win. Computer was doing too much impossible shit.

Impressive stuff

He seems like a good guy, so I'm happy for him. I follow the NBA through headlines, and am a Raptors 'fan' for lack of a better term because I don't watch much.

Posted this in the NBA thread..
I feel like drafting Steph was just half the battle with him. I truly believe that had we not changed ownership, there's a good chance, Steph would've been out of the league as a tragic what if player. It's almost downright criminal how the FO and coaching staff under previous owner, Chris Cohan bungled Curry development. They had him play with Monta in the backcourt, totally mishandled his ankle issues by rushing him back (he played 74 games that season despite going in and out because of the injury) and Coach Keith Smart even at one point benched him in favor of Acie Law. Contrast that with Lacob and Guber..shutting down Curry to let him properly rehab, bringing in proper coaching, consistently hiring the best player development staff and investing in technology to monitor player fatigue (Warriors maybe lucky with health last season but they certainly did their due diligence to prevent injury). I think lost in the shuffle of drafting the next star or paying top dollar for the big ticket free agent, we consistently downplay the importance the team plays by actually investing in star player development.

Other interesting things to note
-Steph refused to (was not allowed to) work out for the Warriors prior to the draft. His dad and agent even told Larry Riley (then Warriors GM) to not pick him (not that I blame them given how poorly the ownership was).

Austin told Riley that Curry didn't want to come to Golden State and wouldn't come for a workout.

Riley, however, didn't need a workout since he was already high on Curry after seeing him play against Purdue early in his junior season. Riley liked him even more during a predraft camp interview, ranked him the second-best player behind Griffin and likened him to two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash.

Riley also liked that Curry was the son of a successful and respected ex-NBA player. Riley sold then-Warriors coach Don Nelson on Curry as well. Austin and Dell Curry still tried to keep the Warriors away from Stephen Curry. But Austin told then-Knicks president Donnie Walsh that unless they could trade up, he expected Golden State to draft Curry. Austin said Walsh didn't believe him because the Warriors already had guard Monta Ellis.

"I said, 'Larry, I like you a lot and respect you a lot, but don't take Steph. This is not the right place for him,' " Austin said. "We wanted him in New York."

Said Riley: "Dell was the same way. He was almost cold."

- There was a potentially Amare Stoudemire for Steph Curry deal between the Suns and Warriors that fell through at the very end.

-Then the infamous Monta Ellis- of course he was right

-Q: Can you see yourself playing with Curry in the backcourt?

-ELLIS: I can&#8217;t answer that. Us together? No.

-Q: Why not?

-ELLIS: Can&#8217;t. We just can&#8217;t.

-Q: Too small? Too similar?

-ELLIS: Just can&#8217;t.

-Q: The Warriors say you can.

-ELLIS: They say we can? Yeah. If they say it. But we can&#8217;t.

-Q: You wouldn&#8217;t want to give it a shot?

-ELLIS: I just want to win. That&#8217;s&#8230; not going to win that way.

-Q: Why not?

-ELLIS: It&#8217;s different when you&#8217;re trying to compare me and Stephen, when you&#8217;re trying to go back to when me and BD were playing, it&#8217;s a different situation.

You&#8217;ve got a nine-year veteran who&#8217;s been in the game, who understands the game, knows how to play the game, and he&#8217;s a big body&#8230;

You can&#8217;t put two small guys out there and try to play the 1 and the 2 when you&#8217;ve got big 2 guards in the league. You just can&#8217;t do it.

OK, yes, we&#8217;re going to move up and down fast, but eventually the game is going to slow down.

You can&#8217;t do it.

While the Twolves completely whiffed on Johnny Flynn, Ricky Rubio at the time was considered the next big thing at point guard (dude still is potentially a top tier point guard when healthy).

I was stoked to see him play against my Pelicans in the playoffs last season. Even though we lost, it was awesome seeing him play in person. Dude is unstoppable.

He's the best player in the league but let's see if he can overcome turning into Peyton Manning in the biggest games in the playoffs.

Her was only in the Finals once so I give him the benefit of the doubt but he wasn't that great in the most important round.

methodman

Banned
He's the best player in the league but let's see if he can overcome turning into Peyton Manning in the biggest games in the playoffs.

Her was only in the Finals once so I give him the benefit of the doubt but he wasn't that great in the most important round.

come on man. he fell like 7 feet straight on his head in game 4 of the Houston series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5E6mMBP5ic

before that he was killing them. i don't think he was ever 100% after that until now and he still was the biggest reason we won the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom