• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still no SMT 4 news for EU

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It will come in the end (probably) but it's a Persona 4 Arena situation all over again. I've lost all the hype and I'll wait for a bomba bin sale.

Wonder if it will take longer than what P4A did. At this point, everything points to yes.

Still haven't bought that game, fuck that region lock shit that they pulled on P4A.

Xater

"Have it for 40€ without bonuses a year late, non-American heathens. Since we're in the mood, we'll throw a game-breaking bug in for free as well!"

April 17th actually. Yes, just two more months and it'll be a year without any news whatsoever. Isn't that Nintendo information policy nice?

It was in April? Holy shit, that just ridiculous.

Kyonashi

Has nobody really asked Nintendo what the deal was about SMT IV ? I guess nobody from the "gaming press" in Europe gives a shit about the game to bother to ask. It's been so long, wonder if they are still publishing it at all.

I've just used this form to submit a request to Eurogamer, if anyone else knows other European-based sites, maybe contact them as well?

Eurogamer Contact Submission said:
Dear Eurogamer,

As the premier site for my news relating to UK and European releases, I dearly ask of you to please chase up any contacts you may have with Nintendo on new information regarding the release of Shin Megami Tensei IV in Europe for the 3DS. The last morsel of information we received was the Nintendo Direct on April 17th 2013, and after today's showing where Etrian Odyssey Untold was given a release date but SMTIV was not mentioned, many fans are growing restless. We would truly appreciate it if a European-based gaming news site like yourselves would be able to get any kind of clarification from Nintendo of Europe on the release of this title.

Thanks very much.

Jisgsaw

Yes, last April, but just a trailer. We still don't know who is supposedly publishing, although it's a pretty safe bet it was meant to be Nintendo. Hopefully they're just holding it hostage until SMTxFE is closer to release.

I'm begginning to think that is the problem: publishing deal conflicts between Atlus/NISA/Nintendo/Sega/Ghostlight/whoever.
Only reasonable explanation I see at this point.

EDIT:
AFAIK NOE is the Pub, you can rule out Ghostlight and Nis America right now, I know for a fact they didnt get the rights to it

Oh?
Well, then I just don't understand Nintendo/atlus anymore, but that's not a first.
God I hope Sega shakes Atlus up a bit about PAL regions.

Glass Rebel

Possible explanations

- Nintendo is publishing and they're translating it to the other 4 EFIGS languages
- Nintendo is publishing it but with the acquisition by SEGA the deal had to be reworked (which doesn't explain EO:U but Nintendo)
- Nintendo is publishing it and they're delaying it until they can do some cross-promo with SMT x FE
- Nintendo isn't publishing it anymore because they are cunts

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've officially given up. Luckily I haven't beaten Nocturne, never played Strange Journey. I guess there's also Soul Hackers.

Finalow

thanks for stating the obvious and making eu 3ds owners cry, op.
the real question should be "why?".

disgusting. I'm also waiting for DQ7.

Jisgsaw

- Nintendo is publishing and they're translating it to the other 4 EFIGS languages

Therm not talking about it wouldn't make any sens if it was the case.
I'd rather tend to publisher deals troubles (hence for example why there is still no official publisher that came forward publicly).

Glass Rebel

Therm not talking about it wouldn't make any sens if it was the case.
I'd rather tend to publisher deals troubles (hence for example why there is still no official publisher that came forward publicly).

They announced the official date of Bravely Default 2 months before release. Between that and the initial announcement we got basically jack shit. I'm not saying it's probable but it is possible.

Jisgsaw

They announced the official date of Bravely Default 2 months before release. Between that and the initial announcement we got basically jack shit. I'm not saying it's probable but it is possible.

They came forward and publicly said they were the editors and were translating it months prior to release, if I remember correctly.
Which is totaly not the case for SMT4.

I'm begginning to think that is the problem: publishing deal conflicts between Atlus/NISA/Nintendo/Sega/Ghostlight/whoever.
Only reasonable explanation I see at this point.

EDIT:

Oh?
Well, then I just don't understand Nintendo/atlus anymore, but that's not a first.
God I hope Sega shakes Atlus up a bit about PAL regions.

unless since the last time I contacted NIS and they are about to pull a fast one at their event in a few hours, its not them or Ghostlight

Fisico

As far as we all know, Nintendo are the EU publisher of SMTIV. It was announced on their Direct, was listed as a Nintendo-published game on some materials or in some press asset FTP folder (or something like that), and was in their booth at the Japan Expo in Paris last year, if what I'm told was correct.

That is correct, you can also add that Nintendo will be the publisher of SMT X FE.

Possible explanations
- Nintendo is publishing it but with the acquisition by SEGA the deal had to be reworked (which doesn't explain EO:U but Nintendo)
- Nintendo is publishing it and they're delaying it until they can do some cross-promo with SMT x FE
- Nintendo isn't publishing it anymore because they are cunts

The first two wouldn't explain why they don't even talk about it (it's not that hard to say "its coming" wether they put a schedule release or not), the third doesn't really make sense since SMT X FE is most likely a 2015 title, and not even a early 2015.
As for the fourth it would be odd from them to do so, and even more NISA Ghostlight or whoever took their place as a publisher would have talked about it already (unless they're preventing any other other publisher to bring the game lol...)

Jisgsaw

unless since the last time I contacted NIS and they are about to pull a fast one at their event in a few hours, its not them or Ghostlight

I was more thinking about long term deals Atlus may have made with a PAL publisher (didn't NISA announced like last spring they made such a deal?) that would have to be renegociated.
But you're better informed than me, it's probably not the case.

Glass Rebel

They came forward and publicly said they were the editors and were translating it months prior to release, if I remember correctly.
Which is totaly not the case for SMT4.

I guess we'll see. I don't remember their exact words but I wouldn't be surprised if I was right. There was no reason to keep the publisher a secret and NISA, who is the most likely candidate, is releasing EO:U.

The first two wouldn't explain why they don't even talk about it (it's not that hard to say "its coming" wether they put a schedule release or not), the third doesn't really make sense since SMT X FE is most likely a 2015 title, and not even a early 2015.
As for the fourth it would be odd from them to do so, and even more NISA Ghostlight or whoever took their place as a publisher would have talked about it already (unless they're preventing any other other publisher to bring the game lol...)

I think you might have forgotten which company we're talking about here.

MLH

Atlus are publishing Conception 2 here in Europe as a DL title only, I don't see why they couldn't publish SMT IV.
NISA and Ghoslight have both said they are not publishing, so as far as I am aware Nintendo are the publishers.
They are a real pain in the ass with this. NISA are bringing out Atlus titles at a good pace due to the publishing deal, if it wasn't for Nintendo I bet we would all be playing this now.

gngf123

if thats the case, expect DL only
Nintendo's account system is pathetic but at this point I'll take any opportunity to play the game I can get.

I'm never buying an EU Nintendo system from now on, should have had the foresight to never have bought one to begin with.

Jisgsaw

I guess we'll see. I don't remember their exact words but I wouldn't be surprised if I was right. There was no reason to keep the publisher a secret and NISA, who is the most likely candidate, is releasing EO:U.

Unless there are deals conflicts.
As I said, I'm just searching for a reasonable explanation, like I did for P4:A
(there were none: Atlus/ASW are just dicks about PAL).

Goddammit. When I said I won't hold my breath in the other (closed) thread, I didn't mean for it to actually be the case. =(

I mean, no. Of course not. There is such a tidal wave of quality 3DS content coming in the next few months that there cannot possibly be any room for something like SMT IV. Pfft.

This may sound vindictive or whatever, but I don't want to see or hear an American complain about not getting something or how bad it is for them ever again.

Glass Rebel

Unless there are deals conflicts.
As I said, I'm just searching for a reasonable explanation, like I did for P4:A
(there were none: Atlus/ASW are just dicks about PAL).

I don't see why there would be a conflict at the time they announced it. Or rather, what kind of deal. I doubt Atlas went up to Nintendo and said "I swear SMTIV is coming out and someone is publishing it but we have no idea who"

Tizoc

Sigh yeah when I read a liveblog I saw no mentiond of SMT4.
That's the only thing I wanted from this Direct, everything else was 'eh', outside of Little Mac.

Nintendo's account system is pathetic but at this point I'll take any opportunity to play the game I can get.

I'm never buying an EU Nintendo system from now on, should have had the foresight to never have bought one to begin with.

just to add more reason to that Code of Princess got a physical release in the US and they got Rune Factory 4

Sigh yeah when I read a liveblog I saw no mentiond of SMT4.
That's the only thing I wanted from this Direct, everything else was 'eh', outside of Little Mac.

Good, you missed the massive Shibata Troll about :"Now, some details about a new Atlus game... Etrian Odyssey Untold :D"

Jisgsaw

I don't see why there would be a conflict at the time they announced it.

They anounced the game was coming (without even saying they would do it).
Whoever thinks they have some rights over this (Sega?) came up. Or even Atlus wanting to release it itself after being bought up by Sega, and trying to cut the deal they possibly made with NoE.

Well, as I said, most probable reason is Atlus saying "Euro-what?" (Atlus are still the ones having to do the PAL build).

Garraboa

Goddammit. When I said I won't hold my breath in the other (closed) thread, I didn't mean for it to actually be the case. =(

I mean, no. Of course not. There is such a tidal wave of quality 3DS content coming in the next few months that there cannot possibly be any room for something like SMT IV. Pfft.

This may sound vindictive or whatever, but I don't want to see or hear an American complain about not getting something or how bad it is for them ever again.

I wont stop complaining until I get the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro series on Vita in NA. So there.

That said, it really sucks you guys are left hanging on this. Hope you get an answer from backwards Nintendo soon.

gngf123

No because don't you see, we got Bravely Default a couple of months earlier. It is totally fair and balanced.

RpgN

No because don't you see, we got Bravely Default a couple of months earlier. It is totally fair and balanced.

2 months, what a tragedy!

I think it's about time we start bothering Nintendo and find out what the hell is happening.

Anyone up for massive twitter bombing on Nintendo EU account or other better ideas?

Top Bottom