• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still no SMT 4 news for EU

RpgN

The only thing they would confirm outright is that the pub is Atlus.
They did say that if the game had been cancelled it would have been announced, and Atlus is potentially looking into a physical release too (but cant say that for sure will happen)

At least that's a bit more hopeful. I really hope they'll get a physical version sorted. Maybe it will help if we show support to Atlus and ask them early for a physical release.

You know, I don't understand why Atlus is stepping in on this one and making matters more complicated. Couldn't they have just left it up to NIS or Ghostlight like they always do?

At least that's a bit more hopeful. I really hope they'll get a physical version sorted. Maybe it will help if we show support to Atlus and ask them early for a physical release.

You know, I don't understand why Atlus is stepping in on this one and making matters more complicated. Couldn't they have just left it up to NIS or Ghostlight like they always do?

Ghostlight never got the rights last year, and NISA didnt get them either. Whether Atlus had the rights all along and intended to publish all along but didnt know how to publish on EU eshop at the time or Ninty got the rights then gave them back to Atlus I don't know.
I was however given the impression Atlus had the rights all along.

I have contacted Atlus, but they never responded to me last time, so i'm not getting my hopes up there.

Jisgsaw

Who knows, maybe they just realised Europe does exist, and consider starting to publish their games themselves over here?

MYE

Didnt EU wait a million fucking years for Dragon's Crown?

Fucking Atlus

Edit: 3 months so I guess not. But it was not even released in my country.

Peff

If the intention was for Atlus to self-publish all along (which is kind of a major dick-move since we lose the physical edition) you'd think they'd sort out the eShop issues before actually announcing the game. Oh, well, it just better not be full fucking price if it's indeed a year late, digital-only, English-only release.

EDIT: ^No

Jisgsaw

No, we waited an age for Persona 4 Arena (and mainline Persona games in general), Dragon's Crown wasnt that bad in comparison.

P4:G was pretty fast to come (actually the fastest Atlus game ever I think), thanks to NISA.
Even if the simple fact there is a delay between US and PAL release for a non-translated game is an aberration. It just shows Atlus really doesn't even consider Europe during development.

P4:G was pretty fast to come (actually the fastest Atlus game ever I think), thanks to NISA.
Even if the simple fact there is a delay between US and PAL release for a non-translated game is an aberration. It just shows Atlus really doesn't even consider Europe during development.

Yeah NISA are excellent, I really rate them highly, they always announce EU releases with US releases. I hope in the future we can get the US CEs they do as well.

Sadist

And so it continues...

I'm still baffled by the fact we're gettin two Etrian Odyssey games before SMT IV. It's even funnier (or not) if you think about the original EO, which was published by NoE back in the day.

Grizzo

After the recent cancelation of Rune Factory 4 and the total lack of news regarding Chibi-Robo: Photo Finder, I wouldn't be surprised if Europe got screwed once again.

How could they think maintaining region-lock on their systems would be a good idea in this day and age (especially when other companies already dropped it)?

Zornica

Banned
[...]
Maybe the last paragraph is a bit excessive...

I don't see the point but here it goes:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Ich habe mich gefragt, ob es irgendwelche Neuigkeiten betreffend des Europa-releases von Shin Megami Tensei 4 gibt.

Es ist nun bald 1 Jahr vergangen seit das Spiel im April 2013 während einer Nintendo Direct für Europa angekündigt wurde und seitdem herrscht schweigen. In Anbetracht der unerfreulichen Nachrichten betreffend Rune Factory 4 (welches gestrichen wurde) befürchte ich das schlimmste.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 war einer DER Gründe weswegen ich mir einen 3DS zugelegt hatte und habe nun das Gefühl, dass der Kauf eines europäischen Systems dank des Region-Lock ein schwerer Fehler war, da ich nun nicht mal in der Lage bin, Spiele die nicht mehr in Europa erscheinen werden zu importieren.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,
<your name>

Oswen

If it's still coming out i guess NoE is saving it to fill some gap in this year lineup (which isn't that great as of now).
Still wish we didn't have that region lock which doesn't really make sense, especially on a handheld.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, that really stinks. Though I have owned SMTIV since the NA launch and still have yet to actually play it...feel kind of guilty about that knowing EU GAF is still waiting for an announcement. Hell, I barely have touched Soul Hackers almost a year later too.

What is the deal? Legal issues? Mismanagement? Publisher limbo?(Is Atlus EU or NOE publishing?)

Jisgsaw

Damn, that really stinks. Though I have owned SMTIV since the NA launch and still have yet to actually play it...feel kind of guilty about that knowing EU GAF is still waiting for an announcement. Hell, I barely have touched Soul Hackers almost a year later too.

What is the deal? Legal issues? Mismanagement? Publisher limbo?(Is Atlus EU or NOE publishing?)

There is no Atlus EU, that's the problem.

Up till now, Atlus was always handling publishing deals with different PAL publishers on game to game basis. And apparently only started on these deals way after the NA release for each game, resulting in several month (usually about 6, but it has gotten worse on some releases lately) delay between NA and PAL releases.
(only exception I know of being (I think) Persona on PSP that they released themselves)

flowsnake

So, other than SMT4, what is not possible to play with a European 3DS that you can play on an American one?

Rune Factory 4 I know of. Any eShop games?

(EO:Untold doesn't count since it's coming out in a few months in Europe)

Zhao_Yun

I really have enough of this BS. Decided to sell my EU 3DS and someday get a used US 3DS. Even if SMT4 should be released in Europe in the end, I am worried about future 3DS Atlus titles like Persona Q already.

I really have enough of this BS. Decided to sell my EU 3DS and someday get a used US 3DS. Even if SMT4 should be released in Europe in the end, I am worried about future 3DS Atlus titles like Persona Q already.

Did you sell your games as well? They'll be useless now. This is such a fucked up situation. Goddamn.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, other than SMT4, what is not possible to play with a European 3DS that you can play on an American one?

Only other game I can think of right now is Unchained Blades. There are probably more, haven't paid too much attention to the European releases. And I think Cave Story+ still wasn't released in Europe.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
since my second XL has just died I'm definitely buying a US unit now, along with this game of course. It really stinks but at least games will be cheaper

(EO:Untold doesn't count since it's coming out in a few months in Europe)

off the top of my head

SMT 4
RF4
Unchained Blades
and a retail release of Code of Princess

Zhao_Yun

Did you sell your games as well? They'll be useless now. This is such a fucked up situation. Goddamn.

I only own 4 games and played only 2 of them. I'll sell the ones I haven't played yet and rebuy the US Version or the respective Vita version (Virtues Last Reward). The other 2 I'll keep for now for the savegames and hope that there will be a good region-free hack in the future.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"At this time, we don't have any information about the EU release.

Rob Stone
QA Lead
ATLUS
A brand of Index Digital Media, Inc.
949.788.0455 x117"

Korigama

I only own 4 games and played only 2 of them. I'll sell the ones I haven't played yet and rebuy the US Version or the respective Vita version (Virtues Last Reward). The other 2 I'll keep for now for the savegames and hope that there will be a good region-free hack in the future.
At the very least, getting the US version of VLR means you'll have access to dual-audio, since the EU publisher didn't pay to license the English voices for that release (worth it for English Zero III alone).

Omikaru

Got confirmation myself from Nintendo UK, the publisher for Shin Megami Tensai 4 in the EU is ATLUS.

I can confirm this. Nintendo also wrote to me this morning saying that Atlus USA are publishing SMTIV in Europe.

Digital only at this point, I guess. /sadface

I'm still done with NoE. I will be offloading all my Nintendo stuff next week and getting a US 3DS.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's an Atlus title in the hopes of a PAL release. I find it alarming that people were expecting something concrete within the 12 month calendar post-NA release.

Peff

It's an Atlus title in the hopes of a PAL release. I find it alarming that people were expecting something concrete within the 12 month calendar post-NA release.

Even with Persona Arena, which is by far the worst recent case of lateness, we had sporadic updates to let us know that it was far off, but still coming. If you go back to the first couple of pages of this very thread, you'll see that no one even knew who the publisher of SMT IV PAL is until yesterday. It's been TEN MONTHS since the announcement.

Peff

Nah, the worst case was Devil Survivor Overclocked. That was about 1.5 years late.

Oh, right. I always forget because I imported the original DS game, haha. Still pretty bad considering the exclusive, brand new game-breaking glitches.

Sadist

Well that would be true if it weren't for the last few releases;

- Etrian Odyssey IV was released six months after the US release (NISA)
- Soul Hackers was released five months after the US release (NISA)
- Etrian Odyssey Untold will release seven months after the US release (NISA)
- Conception II(!) will be a digital release in the second quarter of this year, in the same timeframe as the US release by Atlus USA.

The only game SMT game being the exception to the rule is Devil Survivor Overclocked, which took 19 months to release in Europe.

It's pretty insane if you think about it. At this point it seems more probable that we'll receive Persona Q in the EU before SMT IV.

Well that would be true if it weren't for the last few releases;

- Etrian Odyssey IV released six months after the US release (NISA)
- Soul Hackers released five months after the US release (NISA)
- Etrian Odyssey Untold will release seven months after the US release (NISA)
- Conception II(!) will be a digital release in the second quarter of this year, in the same timeframe as the US release by Atlus USA.

The only game SMT game being the exception to the rule is Devil Survivor Overclocked, which took 19 months to release in Europe.

It's pretty insane if you think about it. At this point it seems more probable that we'll receive Persona Q in the EU before SMT IV.

If Atlus are in self publish mode now (and recent things suggest that) we may have another SMT 4 situation on our hands.

Acidote

If Atlus is publishing this... I won't be playing it unless there's a retail release and I doubt it. I'm not ever buying anything digital on the 3DS until the games cease to be tied to the console itself.

flowsnake

Oh right yeah, Persona Q would be another one for the import list. I guess that one could be fine for all we know, but I wouldn't count on it...

Zhao_Yun

At the very least, getting the US version of VLR means you'll have access to dual-audio, since the EU publisher didn't pay to license the English voices for that release (worth it for English Zero III alone).

Yeah, if you get the Vita version, get the US version.

Bought the Canadian version which is probably (?) the same as the US version.

So Atlus really is the publisher now? Digital-only in Europe is another reason to get an US 3DS... and then I (hopefully) won't have to worry about playing future Atlus releases anymore.

Zornica

Banned
I wonder what's going on behind the scenes? did they change publisher or something?
It's kinda strange.. we're getting all atlus games pretty fast recently except that one. Whatever, I can wait for another year.

...ugh...
after hearing the english voices on youtube, I can't imagine why anyone would want to experience the game that way. especially when it comes to Zero...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If Atlus is publishing this... I won't be playing it unless there's a retail release and I doubt it. I'm not ever buying anything digital on the 3DS until the games cease to be tied to the console itself.

At this point I'll take anything, retail or digital. Hell, I'll even buy the text file and hardcode the game myself

Jisgsaw

Nope, it was Ghostlight.

Eh, I knew I would cite the wrong one :-(

Well, as for Atlus self publishing... I'll just say I'm glad I imported a US 3DS. But who knows, maybe this'll mean future releases won't suffer the same fate.

Kyonashi

So if ATLUS are publishing, is that a 100% chance of a digital-only release? I wanted pretty boxes for both SMTIV and Ace Attorney 5 :(

So if ATLUS are publishing, is that a 100% chance of a digital-only release? I wanted pretty boxes for both SMTIV and Ace Attorney 5 :(

Short of someone else swooping in to handle EU duty, yeah it's going to be digital only. (I'm genuinely surprised NISA hasn't done the deed already)

vag 2.0

how big was the us digital copy of smt4?

(edit, simple google, 14000 "blocks", already down to 20000 on the stock card - is moving everything to a bigger one trivial?)

Top Bottom