• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Gaaraz

On the plus side that does mean more buying opportunities... but for those of us who are already heavily in Tesla that won't offer much comfort

Piecake

I'm interested in buying into Tesla. I am short on investment funds at the moment though so I'm forced to sit and wait for a bit (that, or sell another holding to buy Tesla, which I don't want to do). So, I am hoping I luck out a bit and shit hits the fan hard for a short period of time when I have a bit more money in a month or two.

In the meantime, I'll wish the best for my Stock-GAF bros that are holding on to Tesla.

You could always find a Telsa, burn it, start filming, and put it on youtube. Apparently that's enough to get investors freaked out for some reason.

Well, I guess it would make sense if Telsa was more prone to fires or poor battery performance in cold weather, but is that actually the case?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well you have to warm up the battery in cold weather. There's a lot of info about what must be done in such cases, but I am guessing it's worst than most know at the moment because usage in cold weather must be pretty low at the moment. Not a big deal to me, over time tech will improve.

I'm getting pretty tired of having people on the finance media spewing the same shit over and over again. I swear some commentators are confident one hour, and filled with bleakness the next. As a newbie to the investing game, I think it's better for my sanity if I turn off msncb, and all other outlets and just concentrate in the companies I'm following when they release their earnings and other investor events.

I'm getting pretty tired of having people on the finance media spewing the same shit over and over again. I swear some commentators are confident one hour, and filled with bleakness the next. As a newbie to the investing game, I think it's better for my sanity if I turn off msncb, and all other outlets and just concentrate in the companies I'm following when they release their earnings and other investor events.

By the time you hear an idea on MSNBC, the ship has long sailed. It's actually a really good way to become a bagholder.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Considering most of what I buy is on the US stock exchange, I wonder if I should convert more cash to USD now. Canadian dollar is like to continue falling.

RevoDS

Considering most of what I buy is on the US stock exchange, I wonder if I should convert more cash to USD now. Canadian dollar is like to continue falling.
I've done the very same thing yesterday. My TFSA was set to convert all of my money to CAD then convert it back when I bought in USD...including dividends which were converted in CAD. I think I must've lost significant amounts in FX costs...

Now I keep it all in USD so I only convert once.

I can't believe it. I managed to balance my grandma's portfolio. It was losing money for years, and now we're at break even or end up gaining a little! I am so happy. Of course some of it was luck thanks to the recent bull market. I'm gonna take my cash and run now. Gonna watch the market and wait for another buying opportunity.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What can Canada do to raise its dollar's value? I'm guessing it's not going to go up soon, the economy is apparently not doing well and not heading for better soon and the government apparently prefers a lower dollar.

Also one thing I find weird is I can transfer money from my CAD to USD account without a transaction fee, is that usual?

edit: Also, what happens if I purchase US-issued ETFs shares with my TFSA? Isn't there some sort of tax if you are investing in US-issued ETFs with your TFSA? I'd prefer to buy US ones because the Canadian dollar sucks and I believe will suck more later.

RevoDS

What can Canada do to raise its dollar's value? I'm guessing it's not going to go up soon, the economy is apparently not doing well and not heading for better soon and the government apparently prefers a lower dollar.

Also one thing I find weird is I can transfer money from my CAD to USD account without a transaction fee, is that usual?

edit: Also, what happens if I purchase US-issued ETFs shares with my TFSA? Isn't there some sort of tax if you are investing in US-issued ETFs with your TFSA? I'd prefer to buy US ones because the Canadian dollar sucks and I believe will suck more later.
No, there isn't a tax per se, but the US government will tax your dividends. In a normal account, you could get that refunded come tax refund time but you can't in a TFSA since you don't file anything with the CRA about your TFSA.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No, there isn't a tax per se, but the US government will tax your dividends. In a normal account, you could get that refunded come tax refund time but you can't in a TFSA since you don't file anything with the CRA about your TFSA.

Hmmm I see, thanks.

I looked around and I'll be putting all my TFSA investments in Vanguard:

VCE (Canada index) 10%
VDU (Developed excluding North America) 30%
VFV (S&P) 60%

So far anyway that's what I am considering. I'm only 10% on Canada because I don't think things will look too good for some time.

MSFT taking a beating today. I don't really know why investors had high hopes on Mulally being a good fit at MS. They guy has 0 experience with technology, and he was probably only going to stick around for a very short time. Good news for me, time to buy more shares at bargain prices!

CrankyJay

Banned
Electronic Arts sinks after Dice projects put on hold to fix Battlefield

Down 7%

Shares of Electronic Arts (EA) are falling after the company reportedly said that its DICE unit would not undertake any future projects until it solves the problems plaguing the Battlefield 4 video game. WHAT'S NEW: The video game maker's subsidiary, DICE, is "not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4," an Electronic Arts representative stated, the website IGN reported yesterday. "We know we still have a ways to go with fixing the game," the website quoted the video game's representative as saying. Server limitations and game ejections are among the problems that users have identified with the game, IGN noted. Battlefield 4 was released in most parts of the world on October 31 or November 1. ANALYST REACTION: In a note to investors, Pacific Crest analyst Evan Wilson wrote that the news "confirms the disappointment" of the Battlefield 4 launch and puts the launch of the next version of the game in jeopardy. If DICE does not launch any big games next year, the company's profits are unlikely to increase in 2014, added Wilson, who estimates that EA's earnings per share in fiscal 2015 will be $1.10, versus analysts' consensus estimate of $1.47. He kept a Sector Perform rating on the shares. PRICE ACTION: In mid-morning trading, Electronic Arts slid $1.74, or 7.8%, to $20.60.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
consensus pricing is 586. I'm in at 526 and it's now floating around 570. What price point are you aiming for? Every day that passes I want to take the money and run

No idea really, I just think we are due within a year or two at most for a new "step" for Apple, whatever that could be. Overall they have gone through a relatively average period which I'm not expecting to see come back as worse again in the near future, not specifically for Apple anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm planning to switch all my TFSA (tax free savings account) investments to ETFs, but I'm wondering if I should forgo the S&P/DOW (US) ETF and instead invest in five or six top US companies that have consistently beat the DOW/S&P's return by double over the past ten years. It would cost me 50$ in fees on each buy since I would invest in all five at once, rather than $10 for one, but there's no ETF fee anyway.

So far I'm looking at HD, HON, BA, UTX, maybe DIS and NKE. I already have HON, UTX, DIS and NKE in my non-TFSA investments but I could add to it in that account from here on out.

Piecake

I'm planning to switch all my TFSA (tax free savings account) investments to ETFs, but I'm wondering if I should forgo the S&P/DOW (US) ETF and instead invest in five or six top US companies that have consistently beat the DOW/S&P's return by double over the past ten years. It would cost me 50$ in fees on each buy since I would invest in all five at once, rather than $10 for one, but there's no ETF fee anyway.

So far I'm looking at HD, HON, BA, UTX, maybe DIS and NKE. I already have HON, UTX, DIS and NKE in my non-TFSA investments but I could add to it in that account from here on out.

I wouldnt. Past performance does not mean future success. I think its an unnecessary gamble, especially if this is your retirement account and you have 30-40 years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wouldnt. Past performance does not mean future success. I think its an unnecessary gamble, especially if this is your retirement account and you have 30-40 years.

Nothing's past performance is an indication of future success, not even the DOW.

It's not my retirement account. My 401k has ETF/mutual funds only, with small management fees.

Piecake

Nothing's past performance is an indication of future success, not even the DOW.

It's not my retirement account. My 401k has ETF/mutual funds only, with small management fees.

Well, yea, but you have a greater chance of being screwed (or scoring it big) by investing in 6 stocks instead of 500.

Husker86

I know you "can't time the market" but dammit...I was set in my mind to sell IJR index at $108, wait for a drop, then buy back in around $105.50-106 and looky here...down under $105. Of course, I didn't sell at $108.

Looking at any index chart, there is always, always a dip after a new high. Even if you sell before the highest point of that climb, buying back in when it drops below what you sold it at will still net you money. It know it can't be that easy...but it really seems like it is.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but what broker do you guys use? In terms of ease-of-use, reliability and of course commission fees... I'm not really looking to delve too much into stocks, mostly looking at mutual funds/ETF's/that kind of stuff. If that helps in terms of recommendations. :p e-trades? questrade? I'm not even sure what's out there.... thanks for any feedback :)

edit: disclaimer, I'm in Canada

Piecake

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but what broker do you guys use? In terms of ease-of-use, reliability and of course commission fees... I'm not really looking to delve too much into stocks, mostly looking at mutual funds/ETF's/that kind of stuff. If that helps in terms of recommendations. :p e-trades? questrade? I'm not even sure what's out there.... thanks for any feedback :)

Vanguard

Best business model in the business and their mutual funds/etfs are commission free. Account fee is waived if you go paperless

Smiley90

Vanguard

Best business model in the business and their mutual funds/etfs are commission free. Account fee is waived if you go paperless

Does this work for Canadians too? They ask for social insurance number and you can't select Canada, so I'm assuming that's a no? :/ Vanguardcanada doesn't even allow you to create an account...

Piecake

Does this work for Canadians too? They ask for social insurance number and you can't select Canada, so I'm assuming that's a no? :/ Vanguardcanada doesn't even allow you to create an account...

No idea. Ethersnake might be able to help you out.

It really surprised me when I looked at Canada's options to see how few and crappy they were.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I buy my Vanguard ETFs through my bank like any stock. It costs me 10$ per transaction.

Smiley90

Anyone knows of a relatively small robotics company traded on the markets?

Are you on the Canadian site?

Vanguardcanada is the canadian site, isn't it? I didn't see any registration portal there. Is there one? I'll look more closely if there is... I couldn't see it though. It's also not listed in the globe&mail list, and if it's so good I wonder why it wouldn't be there... so kind of wondering if it even exists lol.

EDIT: I'm not looking for companies offering ETF's, I'm looking for online brokers. I can do it through the bank, but 10.- is expensive when I can get it for cheaper through an online broker, or even free for some ETF's.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I misread and edited my post.

Anyone knows of a relatively small robotics company traded on the markets?

And damnit Autodesk has been flying. Should have never waited to buy again:| But now I wait:p

Simulation is the future!

Smiley90

I made a Questrade profile yesterday to kind of check things out. Today they called me already asking if I had questions and about comparisons to other online brokers (aka VirtualBrokers, which was the other one I looked at)

They reeeeaally want my money, don't they :lol

Anyone has any personal experience with VirtualBrokers vs Questrade? In terms of fees, Questrade is cheaper for fewer, but bigger-order investments (flatrate only for withdrawals on ETFs) and VirtualBrokers cheaper for many transfers (cheap per-share rate, but no upper limit). Not sure about the tools/customer service/website responsiveness/etc though.

Cloudy

Banned
AAPL tanking cos the China Mobile deal wasn't announced as expected. Seems like a good time to buy cos the deal is coming...

CrankyJay

Banned
I made a Questrade profile yesterday to kind of check things out. Today they called me already asking if I had questions and about comparisons to other online brokers (aka VirtualBrokers, which was the other one I looked at)

They reeeeaally want my money, don't they :lol

Anyone has any personal experience with VirtualBrokers vs Questrade? In terms of fees, Questrade is cheaper for fewer, but bigger-order investments (flatrate only for withdrawals on ETFs) and VirtualBrokers cheaper for many transfers (cheap per-share rate, but no upper limit). Not sure about the tools/customer service/website responsiveness/etc though.

Kind of standard, when I made a Scott Trade account my local office called me etc...

Top Bottom