• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Wondering if I should hold or sell my Yahoo stock.
I bought at 27$, it's now at $40.

I'm absolutely stumped as to whether it has peaked or not.

snack

I made a Questrade profile yesterday to kind of check things out. Today they called me already asking if I had questions and about comparisons to other online brokers (aka VirtualBrokers, which was the other one I looked at)

They reeeeaally want my money, don't they :lol

Anyone has any personal experience with VirtualBrokers vs Questrade? In terms of fees, Questrade is cheaper for fewer, but bigger-order investments (flatrate only for withdrawals on ETFs) and VirtualBrokers cheaper for many transfers (cheap per-share rate, but no upper limit). Not sure about the tools/customer service/website responsiveness/etc though.
I'm using questrade and the $4.95 fees are low enough for me. I'm content with what I have. It has a pretty and clean web interface known as as IQ ESSENTIAL.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NKE earnings tonight. Been doing well with this stock, rather confident on the long term prospects.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm using questrade and the $4.95 fees are low enough for me. I'm content with what I have. It has a pretty and clean web interface known as as IQ ESSENTIAL.

Really liking their web interfaces, yeah. Just using the trial atm, looks much more clean than virtualbrokers, which... just seems VERY discount to me. VirtualBrokers is definitely cheaper, but it's just not that consumer friendly it seems.

Just one question about Questrade: On stocks you buy on a spread (e.g. 200@20.01 and 200@20.02), do you pay commission multiple times? Or only if it ends up not being filled on the same day?

RevoDS

Really liking their web interfaces, yeah. Just using the trial atm, looks much more clean than virtualbrokers, which... just seems VERY discount to me. VirtualBrokers is definitely cheaper, but it's just not that consumer friendly it seems.

Just one question about Questrade: On stocks you buy on a spread (e.g. 200@20.01 and 200@20.02), do you pay commission multiple times? Or only if it ends up not being filled on the same day?
As far as I know, one order = one transaction with Questrade, even if it's filled in more than one part. The exchange fees (ECN/SEC) may be doubled, but those usually amount to two or three cents per transaction anyway.

CrankyJay

Banned
NVAX just hit 1B market cap so some automatic index fund has been buying...crazy volume.

Up 27% this week alone. I'm feeling real good about this one...

GhaleonEB

Moving to index funds this year has been greatly beneficial. And on top of it, the dividends cranked out this year - all reinvested - are greater than a month worth of my take home pay. We can actually see the exponential curve starting to kick in over the past couple years. Chart...curve...rising.....

Rubenov

This has been a great week all-around for me, besides Ford having a rough day or two. How about for you guys/gals? I now have 9 individual stocks (that is, not mutual funds) with unrealized gains exceeding 100% of my initial investment. Of the 27 stocks and/or mutual funds I own, only 4 are unrealized losses (one being Anthracite Capital, which uh... yeah I'm not going to ever see a penny from that guy).

I'm slowly focusing most of my new investments into mutual funds, but I have to say, I'm getting more interested in small biotech companies. It's a huge crapshoot, but I'm a graduate student working in the area of biochemical engineering, so I've learned a ton about the field and specific companies. It makes me more and more interested in investing with them, but at the same time, I feel like I still have no real good grasp at which ones will succeed in the short-term, forget even trying to predict long-term.

Go with a Biotech ETF like IBB. Cancel individual risk.

Likely to run up for the long haul, even through tough economic times.

Smiley90

Advantages of going home to Switzerland for Christmas: getting to talk finance advice with my uncle, who's a banker for one of the better exclusive private banks here. One of those "people walk in with wrists handcuffed to suitcases and need visual identification from an employee. And don't think about opening an account unless you have a couple million dollars at least" type of banks.

Tl;dr: biotech&3d printing are good, banks/money is bad. Hard to pick the right 3d printing company though, might end up like solar where tons of smaller companies went bankrupt over the last 10 years.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah? Feel good about it? I'm bored and could gamble, have a few k to throw into something.

Well, read up on it, but I feel good about it. Disruptive and scalable vaccine tech. A bunch of institutions bought in around 3.50 and now it's over 1b market cap so index funds auto buy into this.

Got some vaccines in the works for RSV and possible avian bird flu. Huge buyout candidate but I think the company wants to go it alone and make even more money.

Keep an eye out for Dec 26, supposedly an article in the New England Journal
of Medicine is going to print a really positive article with encouraging data.

I'm just following smart money here, especially the Baker Bros.

Got in at 3.60, and bought more at 4.20. So I'm up 40+% and 20+% respectively in the past month.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well, read up on it, but I feel good about it. Disruptive and scalable vaccine tech. A bunch of institutions bought in around 3.50 and now it's over 1b market cap so index funds auto buy into this.

Got some vaccines in the works for RSV and possible avian bird flu. Huge buyout candidate but I think the company wants to go it alone and make even more money.

Keep an eye out for Dec 26, supposedly an article in the New England Journal
of Medicine is going to print a really positive article with encouraging data.

I'm just following smart money here, especially the Baker Bros.

Got in at 3.60, and bought more at 4.20. So I'm up 40+% and 20+% respectively in the past month.

Thanks for the response. I'll watch it for the next few hours and see if I pull the trigger.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah I assume it'll drop as the lockup expiration approaches.

However, I just feel TWTR will be much easier to monetize than FB. On the website, there is a whole right side that has nothing. You don't even need to disrupt tweets to have ads running.

Also, way less privacy issues

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, this is one messy ride. Sucks for those that missed the boat.

Smiley90

Go with a Biotech ETF like IBB. Cancel individual risk.

Likely to run up for the long haul, even through tough economic times.

Doing a bit of research on ETF's right now, after signing up for Questrade (all ETF's free, yay). IBB looking nice. I wanna invest in at least one Biotech EFT, at least partially because that's the field I work in and I sense great things for it in the future. Just looking at performance right now, then I'll look more into it... XHS/XHE/IYH/DWAS/XSW are looking pretty sweet.

In terms of individual stocks... I just have to love ILMN, because they're the go-to company for... a ton of things we do at work. And I don't see how they can go down, their services are gonna be in need more and more.

Questrade's sign-up offer of 100 commission-free trades over 6 months is pretty sweet in terms of allowing me to diversify right off the bat without having to worry about high initial fees accumulating.

Ecotic

I have never seen a more dangerous stock than Twitter right now. Within an hour it's changed 7-8%. You can buy and sell 10 minutes later and make hundreds. Or if you buy when the bears take control you can lose hundreds.

I'm an expert

I have never seen a more dangerous stock than Twitter right now. Within an hour it's changed 7-8%. You can buy and sell 10 minutes later and make hundreds. Or if you buy when the bears take control you can lose hundreds.

Hundreds? Try thousands. I'm watching every tick getting ready to pull the plug.. I'll take my huge return over the risk of what it could do tomorrow.

I'm an expert

I didn't sign up for a margin account so I can't short. Probably for the best.

It's hard to make real money without options or shorting, at least quickly. The problem is you need to really dedicate time to watching charts and orders. Well, problem for someone like me who doesn't have the time. Today just happened to be a day off for me so I sat in front of the monitor all day watching my positions. Brought me back to my youth lol. I wouldn't fuck around shorting nowadays anyway, I have too much to lose. If you look at any of the forums/tweet sites you'll see a lot of people got burned on shorting twtr.

CrankyJay

Banned
It's hard to make real money without options or shorting, at least quickly. The problem is you need to really dedicate time to watching charts and orders. Well, problem for someone like me who doesn't have the time. Today just happened to be a day off for me so I sat in front of the monitor all day watching my positions. Brought me back to my youth lol. I wouldn't fuck around shorting nowadays anyway, I have too much to lose. If you look at any of the forums/tweet sites you'll see a lot of people got burned on shorting twtr.

You're right about the options. At some point I will sign up so I can start hedging. But I would probably never short other than puts because the loss is potentially unlimited.

RevoDS

You're right about the options. At some point I will sign up so I can start hedging. But I would probably never short other than puts because the loss is potentially unlimited.
That's only a theoretical problem if you hold short forever though and if you do, that's on you. Worst case, you set a stop order to cover when your loss reaches 100% of your initial investment. By then, someone who's even slightly in touch with reality should have figured out they were wrong with their thesis in the first place.

Unless you choose really, really volatile stocks, they probably never will gap up more than 100%.

I don't dispute, however, that puts are often a better way to short.

alejob

Any suggestions on a safe place to put my Roth IRA money? I've lost about $1 from my bond fund in the last sever months. I'm hoping more for guaranteed gains even if it's a low percentage. Don't want to get into trading just yet.

Piecake

Any suggestions on a safe place to put my Roth IRA money? I've lost about $1 from my bond fund in the last sever months. I'm hoping more for guaranteed gains even if it's a low percentage. Don't want to get into trading just yet.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0085&FundIntExt=INT

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0113&FundIntExt=INT

Its not 'safe', but that is not what you should be worried about. What you need to understand is that a gain is only a gain if it beats inflation. A super safe investment for your retirement sucks right now because it will not beat inflation. While it says you are making 'gains', you will actually be losing money. That is definitely not safe or wise

If you have 30-40 years to invest for your retirement you should be concerned with growth. The best way to do that is to invest in stocks. And if you invest in stocks, why not invest in all of them at a insanely low cost?

Now when you are 5-10 years away from your retirement you definitely should go into safer investments. That rationale being is that if the market turns on you, you can sell your bonds (which don't fluctuate all that much), and not sell your stocks that are absolutely tanking. So basically it forces you not to sell your stocks at an insanely low price.

The good news is that the first 30 years you are investing you do not have to worry about that shit at all. Just invest in the thing that will likely give you the most growth and forget about it. Loses and gains only matter when you sell it. If the market tanks 10 years from now and you still have 20 years to retirement, who gives a shit? The market will bounce back.

What will likely give you the most growth is those two funds above. Lot of data has shown that index funds consistently beat managed mutual funds, and this is even before you take into account the fees (which are totally serious). I guess you could try investing in individual stocks, but I really don't think they are worth the risk. Sure, you might hit it big, but you might not. If you dont, you wont have enough money for retirement. Not good. Owning everything is simply safer.

Quick from a newbie: Do finance websites in general report just the overall +/- for a fund (supplied by the fund company) each day or is the expense ratio, manager bonus, etc already subtracted.

Basicl if it says:

Fund A +0.75% 27.12.2013 does that mean my shares made +0.75% or is it +0.75% - x % for managing costs, etc. aswell.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Still don't see how Twitter can make money other than through advertising, and since it isn't build on personal data it means it's very difficult for them to make targeted ads, which reduces revenue potential even more. They can only look at what you follow, and what you post. Facebook on the other hand knows much more about its users, their relations, what movie they watched, books they read, etc.

So for Twitter to make money, they need to allow companies to pay them to have stuff showing up on people's feeds even if those people don't want to see said stuff. I don't think it will do any good.

Anyone have any bold predictions for the 2014 trading year? I've gotta expect the gains to slowdown as this is just an incredible and unrealistic pace for the market to continue growing at, but I still expect a solid 4-5%+ gain next year. Why? Gut feeling, so basically, I'm talking out of my ass here.

I think the markets will do alright for some time still (another two years maybe) and then who knows. I think a lot of the underlying problems have not been dealt with (education costs, health care costs, housing costs, energy costs, limited high-speed long-distance transport). This will catch up eventually, but maybe not in 2014.

For the longer term, my feeling is that there is a lot wrong with the current predictions, for example there has been a lot of reports recently saying that countries with falling population count will be hurt, but this makes no sense when looking at the facts: people live longer so they cost more to the state and technology is erasing jobs everywhere. The only reason a country might want to increase its population count is to make up for people leaving the country, but this isn't happening anywhere at a serious pace and would ultimately not increase the population count but just stabilize it. It's extremely difficult for countries in difficult economic situations to open up to immigration, usually the opposite happens, so I don't think that scenario is likely.

I am very bullish on Japan over the long term because of this; they have always been ahead of the curve, even their economic downturns have been precursors to the rest of the world's. I think that by 2020 people will start seeing that Japan is well positioned for the new century (omitting potential political, military, or nuclear issues). It will have a good population-to-employment ratio, well-developed technology sector (someone needs to design, build and maintain the machines), and I think this will become a model that will lay the foundations of the "new" economy, whatever shape it could take, because let's face it, we are entering an era where the past economic systems are about to go out the window. The road to get there will probably be bumpy, but I am rather confident on this.

For 2014 itself though, there's nothing one can really predict, except more environmental issues, less efficient democracies.

RevoDS

It is a volatile stock right now. Idt be surprised if we don't see another 3-5% upward jump soon.

Hey, anyone have a good Android app for tracking my portfolio? I use Google Finance on my PC, but their app is really limited... I can't even see what my total loss or gain for the day is with my portfolio, it just shows my individual stocks and how they're doing for the day.
You can, actually. Just hit the Performance button at the top (it defaults to Overview where you do only see individual stocks), just below the Portfolio one and your total gain/loss for the day will appear at the bottom.

Can't help for good Android apps though, good apps for stocks are exceedingly rare on both mobile platforms.

Smiley90

My Questrade account finally got approved, yay. Couldn't supply the full documentation til I got back from vacation.... Now to intensify the ETF (and stocks) research a bit more.

Top Bottom